Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Swen Vincke's Epic Uncensored Interview

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Divinity: Dragon Commander; Divinity: Original Sin; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

While in London on a press tour for his upcoming games, Divinity: Dragon Commander and Divinity: Original Sin, Larian's Swen Vincke gave an "interview" to PCGMedia's Michael Cromwell. I put the word "interview" in quotes because apparently it was a bit, shall we say, accidental. As such, the interview is eclectic bordering on rambling, refreshingly uncensored and even (dare I say it) Codexian. Here's an except:

Me: There’s a disparity between gamers in the US and Europe – and both regions create very different RPG’s. The differences are incredibly bold.​

Swen: Yes, you see them right away.

Me: To me, American RPG’s seem very ideological – they often take a stance – they are very ideological gamers. Be the best of everything; be a hero, be a good person – but their games often are unmatched in fidelity and polish.​

Swen: Ideological, that’s interesting… the problem is we don’t have the polish. If we [European developers] had the resources that they have, we would be at least matched. That’s what CD Projekt is also trying. If you can have the polish of what they do, with the core values of what we do… I really think it’s a cultural thing… there’s a culture in the games that we make that you will not find in American RPG’s, and vice versa. I mean, I’ve loved quite a lot of American RPG’s – there were some really good ones in the past; Ultima is one of my favorite RPG’s of all time. There are a lot of good Russian RPG’s, they just don’t have any production values at all.

Me: Do you think European developers aim their games towards older audiences?​

Swen: I think European games developers aim their games at themselves. And that American developers aim them towards a ‘target audience’, and that’s a very big difference. I’ve seen this myself – I mean, this one [Original Sin] is made for me and my girlfriend, because we were playing Dark Alliance and I said “ah, I like the fact that I am playing together with you, but there’s nothing to do. It’s just hacking and slashing,” and so from there came Original Sin. If I like it, and he likes it [points to imaginary co-developer, not his girlfriend], then there are probably other gamers who will like it too.

Me: That seems very logical.​

Swen: Yeah, but it’s surprising how that logic is ignored when you look at it from a publisher perspective, when you have your stocks, charts, percentages… When you sit into those meetings – you lose your head, right! You’re just following numbers [mocks number crunching and talking about stocks] “who can release an RPG without Facebook intergration!” What the hell? [laughs].

(This part is followed by an epic rant about publisher stupidity that is too long to quote here.)

The interview also discusses such topics as:
  • Larian's tendency to insert politically incorrect elements into their games, such as references to political ideologies and abortion and also dwarf princess boobs
  • How F2P games and DLC suck
  • How there hasn't been a good CRPG in 6 years (since Mask of the Betrayer, I presume?)
  • Swen's admiration of CD Projekt for being the only RPG developer to successfully break out of the European low production quality "ghetto" (although he also thinks the Witcher games aren't really proper RPGs)
  • Next-gen consoles. Swen thinks they're underwhelming and not a threat to PC-centric developers (although he would like to see a "Steam Box" replace them)
  • How the UK gaming scene hates fantasy settings
  • And much more!
It's a pretty awesome interview. All I can say is, godspeed, Swen, you magnificent Belgian. :salute:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Now that was really awesome. To say that the PS4 is a 2-years old PC and that he woudn't buy it is the kind of sincerity this industry needs. :salute:

I hope it doesn't backfire on him though, lot's of butthurted people around...

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is the guy that made the corridor, magic missile and potion scoffing FTW clickfest with the ultimate in follow the line dragon mission design known as Divinity 2?

How cute of him.

By the way, I really enjoyed Divinity 2 but the game really screams consoletard casual in many places making Swen's attempt to garner 'KKK's fairly hollow. If Twitcher series are not really RPG's then neither is Divinity 2. Rather it is a simple action game with stats.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good interview, just finished reading it.

I really hope new Larian games prove to be a success. Swen is a BRO, and has his heart in the right place. It would be a shame to see this company go down.

Me: Do you think more developers should leave their publishers?
Swen: I think they all should do it.
Not sure if :salute: , but definitely worth some Kodex Kool Kredits.

EDIT: this explains a lot:

Swen on his blog said:
The note to self that I need to remember from the discussions I’ve had is that in any case I need to be more careful with what I say on a press tour. For instance, I spent quite some time talking to a journalist who was recording our conversation and while his recorder was visible, the tone of the conversation had changed such that I thought the interview was over and we were just exchanging opinions. I’m usually rather explicit when I discuss things so I’m already grateful he removed the swearing, but I’m not sure I did the best possible job communicating there. You can read said interview here but mind you, it’s a mish-mash of a lot of thoughts and the required nuance isn’t necessarily present because I really didn’t think I was talking publicly.

Syl

Cipher
So, another european developer who thinks Americans are retards. :incline:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I knew a marketing director from the perfume industry. He’d never played a game in his life, but he was going to tell me what an RPG needs to be. He said “I’ve done my research!” So he came up with a list of things that RPG’s had to have, and I said “what are you talking about?”

:lol:

Whoa, that interview was long as all hell. And with shitloads of cool stuff inside.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
How there hasn't been a good CRPG in 6 years (since Mask of the Betrayer, I presume?)

To some, the C in CRPG means "complex", not "computer".

Fallout NV was a fantastic CRPG in that respect.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
By the way, I really enjoyed Divinity 2 but the game really screams consoletard casual in many places making Swen's attempt to garner 'KKK's fairly hollow. If Twitcher series are not really RPG's then neither is Divinity 2. Rather it is a simple action game with stats.

I suspect he doesn't disagree with you.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
2EeCv.gif

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
We even talk about abortion in the game – it’s a big topic right? But why can we talk about it in games? So I mean obviously it’s documented in a very soft way, but it’s still “could one race prevent the birth of another race?” So then you’re sitting there, and you’re thinking about it! Could the Imp’s stop the Troll’s from reproducing? You take a softer word for that, and you put it in the RPG – but you put it like this: prevent the Trolls from reproducing: yes or no? This will be the end of their race. And you start thinking about this, and you say “well that’s wrong!”
:hmmm:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Trying too hard to be topical just makes the game look stupid.

Karmapowered

Augur
Awesome interview, and follow-up piece on Sven's blog.

I wasn't even interested in the RTS till now, but it's probable that I'll get both Commander and Sin now.

Just DON'T fuck up on the editor, Larian, please. I haven't had any decent editor to mod with since... well, for a long time. I'll even buy several copies of the game, if it's any good.

Sending my best wishes to Belgium (and EU devs) :salute:

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Swen, start posting on the Codex. Please.
Yes, please do. We only hurt you because we love you Sven.

But no, seriously. The game looks surprisingly decent for an RTS these days. The genre's been in decline for a long time now, hopefully this can return a bit of campy life to it.

Unwanted

Sacred_Path

Unwanted
so Original Sin came about as a game to play with your gf

does that bode well y/n

also gj on being outperformed by Swen, faceless interviewer

Me: Trying to find an actor in London without a beard? Good luck.

himmy

Arcane
I liked the part where he turned a gratuitous flashing of dwarven breasts into a moral high ground speech about freedom.

Harold

Arcane
I googled trying way too hard and, wouldn't you know it?, this was the first thing that came up
2EeCv.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom