Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends Pre-Release Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More to the point, in standard Western corporate-speak, you usually avoid mentioning competitors by name or comparing yourself with them directly.

That's why it was so weird when back during PoE's development, some Euro magazine that previewed it explicitly said that PoE is better than Wasteland 2. Or when CD Projekt called Skyrim "generic" (which they sort of apologized for afterwards). You don't usually see those kinds of explicit comparisons made between games.

Last edited:

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
More to the point, in standard Western corporate-speak, you usually avoid mentioning competitors by name or comparing yourself with them directly.
They know that as a single-player game SCL has nothing on PoE so yes, they want to avoid any comparison and emphasize co-op. Focusing on co-op worked for D:OS, so I suppose it's a wise thing to do when you know you cannot make an interesting SP game.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
This game has a pretty decent chance of finding it's way into the hearts of Codexia, since there is little-to-no-hype around it and an actual chance of it turning out to be fun. No hype -> low standards -> if they do AT LEAST a couple of things RIGHT the game will find praise amongst the NWN/DAO-friendly portion of the Codex.

ArchAngel

Arcane
This game has a pretty decent chance of finding it's way into the hearts of Codexia, since there is little-to-no-hype around it and an actual chance of it turning out to be fun. No hype -> low standards -> if they do AT LEAST a couple of things RIGHT the game will find praise amongst the NWN/DAO-friendly portion of the Codex.
Considering they are doing the NWN part worse than NWN and DAO part worse than DAO, I don't see even that small part of Codex liking this game much.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There's a chance they might get the co-op part right which will be interesting. No other RTwP game has achieved that so far

ArchAngel

Arcane
There's a chance they might get the co-op part right which will be interesting. No other RTwP game has achieved that so far
Bg1 and Bg2 are calling you to report to the school for retards :P

Also I played Co-OP on NWN2 persistent servers. And NWN1 had also plenty of those.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Sure, Bg1 and Bg2 had multiplayer, but they hardly got the it right. The only good thing about it was that it allowed you to play with full custom party.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Man BG1&2 were a chore to play with others. Fun for small parts but since the encounters were done in a way that you'd have to micromanage everything the constant reloading was not so much fun

*You're right about NWN though

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
You can't pause in multiplayer
Mhm, I read that. For me it possibly means that encounters will be kinda easy for single player so that they will fit co-op more(since I see a focus on that area with the whole DM situation).
Actually I'm pretty sure that in order to keep it multiplayer-friendly some things will be streamlined, like potion usage or ability usage. More like DA:O or even closer to MOBA games. Which gives it a higher probability of suckiness

ArchAngel

Arcane
Sure, Bg1 and Bg2 had multiplayer, but they hardly got the it right. The only good thing about it was that it allowed you to play with full custom party.
Man BG1&2 were a chore to play with others. Fun for small parts but since the encounters were done in a way that you'd have to micromanage everything the constant reloading was not so much fun

*You're right about NWN though
Well I don't agree with either of you. I found BG games CoOp to be great.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.dagonslair.com/dossiers/sword-coast-legends-interview-dan-tudge/

On the game rules :

How did you adapt the D&D pen & paper rules for the game as a computer RPG, especially regarding spells (cool down? recovery? Casting time vs area of effect spells vs moving targets).

Much of the 5th edition rules were a pretty straight forward adaptation, however some posed quite a challenge. To be clear, we never set out to do a direct adaptation of the 5e rules, both n-Space and Wizards of the Coast agreed that some of tabletop rules would (and should) require adaptation. What was important to both of us was that we maintain the spirit of those rules. For example, with early iterations on multiplayer and DM play we realized quite quickly that resting to recover spells just wasn’t going to appeal to a broad group of players. As a result we implemented spell cooldowns and balanced those to maintain the spirt of resting which is really tactically managing your spell usage.

We know there will be races, sub-races, and 6 classes. Will there also be specialized sub-classes?

Ahh, you listened to our last live-stream eh? Yes, there will be sub-races in SCL, but we’re not talking about sub-classes right now.

On the campaign :

you said in the twitch interview that your focus is on game choices. are you talking on a dialogue level (branching dialogues) ? Quests which can be resolved by different means? Or on the crazy non-linear campaign with branching solutions?

SCL will have branching narrative with meaningful choice and consequence. As you probably saw in the player campaign video, Sir Banagar was only alive because we spared his life earlier in the campaign – because of that choice (and consequence) we can now enlist his aid in the upcoming fight. Of course we also have the choice to reverse that decision and put an end to him right there. Further complicating the decision is the fact that Banagar’s conviction is misguided and you as a player know that – does that make you more benevolent or does it further drive your desire for revenge?

Do you intend to have skills affecting dialogues? Will you manage reputation in your campaign?

I can tell you that your player stats such as their strength level or charisma level can unlock new/different dialogue choices. Like tabletop D&D, player attribute stats are for more than just combat.

Do you intend to put crafting in game? (Potions brewing, item enchantment, weapons/armor crafting)

We do not have crafting, however if this is something that a lot of players are interested in we will definitely consider adding it post launch.

Will the inventory be limited (weight? inventory slots?)

As in the tabletop Inventory is limited by weight, your total weight is driven by your strength.

On game mechanics :

Could you explain Sword Coast Legends different game modes? Cooperative? Dungeon crawl / campaign?

Story Campaign: Our story campaign will feel very familiar to those who love the classic D&D RPGs such as Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights. Like those games, you’ll create a protagonist and embark on a story rich adventure set in the Forgotten Realms. You can play with friends in co-op play or recruit a party of rich companions found within the game.

DM mode: Dungeon Crawl is more of an instant-action DM mode, and while DMs can alter a wide array of dungeon setup parameters Dungeon Crawl’s primary purpose is to minimize the setup process and quickly get into the fun. If players want a longer experience they can do that too with just a few extra clicks or take it even farther and build their own campaign with campaign creation. We’re not revealing too much about campaign creation quite yet, I can tell you that players will be able to recreate their tabletop campaigns within Sword Coast Legends.

Could you explain the DM / player interaction mechanics, elaborate upon the threat (?) system

DM Threat is our way of creating balance within Sword Coast Legends. All tabletop D&D encounters have recommended encounter parameters based on the number of players, their gear, and their levels. If a tabletop DM decides to ignore the details of his/her party, it can lead to either incredibly easy or incredibly deadly encounters. Threat is our way for DMs to monitor the status of players and adjust the difficulty of those encounters on the fly. Under the hood we also do things like control spawn distance and limit threat spend on per area basis that help balance the experience. We’ve gone to great lengths to ensure that we maintain the spirit of cooperative, challenging D&D play.

On the DM mode :

watching the youtube videos, seems a DM can create with a few clics a complete dungeon crawl selecting tileset, 2 monster types, but seems there is also a way to create your own campaign…. How far can a DM customize his game module? Branching dialogues?

Sorry, we’re not discussing DM Campaign Creation at this time.

Do the DM have complete access to design his custom monster, choose their stats/skills, create his NPCs, or only selecting monsters in the game monster pool ?

Neverwinter Nights 1/2 allowed to share complete player campaigns, so other people could download your campaign and play it. Will your game allow the same ?

On multiplayer mode :

On cooperative multiplayer mode, will one player control one character? Will a single player be able to control more than one character?

In story campaign you play with 4 players. You will create your main character, and be joined by 3 players made up of real world friends (with their own custom created characters) or companions you have met in game. The choice (and blend) is up to you!

Do you intend to have a common gaming server or will player be able to connect to other computer directly? Where will character be saved? Locally? Official servers? Can single player characters be used online, regarding cheat…?

It’s still a bit too early for us to discuss connectivity but I can tell you that the character you create will be playable across all modes.

On the game preorder / press :

Regarding your preorder page, the deluxe edition or collector will contain monsters (DM use), Dungeon tile sets (DM use). What will be your DLC policy ? Will there be a whole bunch of tileset and monsters in the original game package and more tile sets & monsters will be sold in DLC ? In DM mode, will the player be able to create monsters or create tilesets ?

We are not locking content behind DLC – everyone will have access to all same core story and DM content created for launch. However if the player purchased the deluxe (larger) additions they will get additional content to use in-game. Once we’ve got the game done we definitely plan to continue to make more content – we’ve got a lot more stories to tell!

You seem to be quite advanced in development. The game is already scheduled for a 2015 release. It’s quite unusual to hear of a game just a few month before its’ release. Why did you communicate on it only now?

We decided that showing the game off in a more completed state was in everyone’s best interest. For the team it allowed them to stay focused on building a great RPG, for the players it was great coming out of the gate with a fully playable build and the knowledge that they would have to wait years to get their hands on it!

Thank you a lot for your answers, good luck in building the CRPG we all dream of :)

:M

Last edited:

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
we realized quite quickly that resting to recover spells just wasn’t going to appeal to a broad group of players. As a result we implemented spell cooldowns and balanced those to maintain the spirt of resting which is really tactically managing your spell usage.
This will go over well.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I guess it depends on how long cooldowns they'll have. I don't see a big issue if you have to wait like 10 minutes for a high level spell to "reload" instead of clicking rest and magically wake up 8 hours later all healed up and ready to go.
Or even worse if you rest until healed and rest for like 50 hours in the middle of dungeon(cough BG cough) :M

ArchAngel

Arcane
I guess it depends on how long cooldowns they'll have. I don't see a big issue if you have to wait like 10 minutes for a high level spell to "reload" instead of clicking rest and magically wake up 8 hours later all healed up and ready to go.
Or even worse if you rest until healed and rest for like 50 hours in the middle of dungeon(cough BG cough) :M
By the gameplay videos they showed previous most cooldows are such that you can cast each spell once per battle so 1-2 minutes at most.
And with cooldowns, no matter how long you set them at players are going to wait for them and then complain later they needed to wait. This is why in other games cooldowns are basically up to 30seconds and all combat and gameplay is balanced around having access to all abilities in each combat.

In other words, not D&D. Fuck you SCL !

Weasel
This was discussed earlier in the thread when the first gameplay videos came out. They've made the pace of the akshun much faster than NWN/BG, so they've pumped up the HP bloat to compensate so battles last longer than a second. You'll be spamming stuff as fast as possible while the 'AI' controls your other 3 characters and any NPCs tagging along. But you can switch direct control to another character, which they say is 'awesome for setting up combos'.

It's clear what market they're aiming at. I wonder what mods will be able to do with the base game though, early on there were a lot of NWN veterans hoping they could move their old campaigns over.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
By the gameplay videos they showed previous most cooldows are such that you can cast each spell once per battle so 1-2 minutes at most.
And with cooldowns, no matter how long you set them at players are going to wait for them and then complain later they needed to wait. This is why in other games cooldowns are basically up to 30seconds and all combat and gameplay is balanced around having access to all abilities in each combat.

In other words, not D&D. Fuck you SCL !
Haven't actually seen the gameplay videos. If it is so, then indeed not D&D. Still could be a fun game to play with someone else, just maybe not such a good CRPG

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
http://www.dagonslair.com/dossiers/sword-coast-legends-interview-dan-tudge/

What was important to both of us was that we maintain the spirit of those rules. For example, with early iterations on multiplayer and DM play we realized quite quickly that resting to recover spells just wasn’t going to appeal to a broad group of players. As a result we implemented spell cooldowns and balanced those to maintain the spirt of resting which is really tactically managing your spell usage.

Oh, this sounds very promising, after the great job that Josh Sawyer did at catching the spirit of the IE gameplay...

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
The only thing that bothers me in this are the cooldowns (and the not mentioned but according to the Twitch video still being tweaked HP bloat), but since combat will be the primary thing to do... Well, and Threat is still weird, but I don't care about DM Mode, so shruggity-shrug-shrug. Anyway, I still expect a good-for-what-it-is Forgotten Realms game out of this, to be bought at a discount after I've whittled down my precious backlog some.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Interesting, Sword Coast Legends has SteamSpy data: http://steamspy.com/app/325600

Owners: 2,199 ± 1,240
Players total: 552 ± 1,081 (25.11%)
Peak concurrent players yesterday: 10

I guess some of the pre-orderers have gotten an Early Access version?

This game seems very much like an AAA production (from the bullshit pr talk to general level of popamole) so IMO early access fights against those principles.

Weasel
From what I remember, from checking out their forums when this was first announced, they were planning on something called "headstart access" for the more pricey packages. Not sure of details or how far in advance they get access to the game. Those packages also had access to something called a "design council" where they could supposedly give input on small, token issues.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Mm? I believe Dragon Age: Origins is generally well regarded on the Codex, if not much talked about.
What the fuck have you been smoking and where can I get some? There's like that one guy in Playground who weakly trolls people by praising DAO and that's it. Everyone else went "good for what it is" only cause it doesn't seem so bad now that we've seen DA2 and DAI. Oh, unless you're Vault Dweller in which case you have to stand by your review until the heat death of the Universe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom