Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends - RIP n-Space!

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Curiously, it keeps getting more users. Up 100,000 now. Apparently co-op can save anything.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Well it is a free weekend after all.

I meant to at least try it, after all it is official D&D so it must have some connection to D&D surely? But I didn't, and now my chance has gone. I feel bad about criticising a game that I haven't played so I'll refrain and just wait for it to drop into single figures before forcing my way through it like I did with DA:2.

Interesting fact: I didn't actually hate DA:2 that much - I managed to complete it, which is more than I can do with most games these days, but I never felt the urge to replay it.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well it is a free weekend after all.

I meant to at least try it, after all it is official D&D so it must have some connection to D&D surely? But I didn't, and now my chance has gone. I feel bad about criticising a game that I haven't played so I'll refrain and just wait for it to drop into single figures before forcing my way through it like I did with DA:2.

Interesting fact: I didn't actually hate DA:2 that much - I managed to complete it, which is more than I can do with most games these days, but I never felt the urge to replay it.

Fwiw, I felt ripped off of my time even playing it for free. I hated DA2 and thought SCL was far worse. YMMV

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The shameful truth... revealed!

7SaKxQ5.png

Weasel
Bubbles and other Dorito-laden junket-dealing mainstream game journos have been pushing this travesty from the start. Fortunately, the average Codexer can see through their manipulative marketing speak.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
By their deeds shall ye know them.

TurkH5m.png

21% of all voting was LESS than an hour of TOTAL playtime. 20% of ALL negative votes was played less than an hour.

28% of all voting was LESS than two hours of TOTAL playtime. 26% of ALL negative votes was played less than two hours.

Weasel
I know this is a Bubbles post so we're all just messing around, but the above analysis applies to a lot of Steam games. The thing with this one, though, is that the headstart access didn't count towards play time for the final game as it was a separate entry on Steam. Some people who gave negative reviews after 1 hour had played a fair bit of the headstart access as they'd been suckered into non-refundable preorders.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I think y'all aren't taking into account how many times someone has good things to say about a game just a few hours in, but after playing it for longer they realize it has no depth and isn't fun at all. I call it the "honeymoon" phase of buying/playing games.

A good game makes a good first-impression, a slick game fabricates one, and a smartly developed game just packs the first few hours with cutscenes so you can't decide whether to refund it or not by the time 2hrs have passed :troll:

Mortmal

Arcane
Bubbles and other Dorito-laden junket-dealing mainstream game journos have been pushing this travesty from the start. Fortunately, the average Codexer can see through their manipulative marketing speak.

They even send someone to defend and advertisee the game on this forum, i never remember this happening ever in the history of the codex. yet i lurked there in 2002 or so.

What i dont find funny at all, is during the sword coast free weekend they sold more than underrail .I checked the steam top selling list and it was on second page right before it . It seems good marketing , a luxury packaging wrapping a stinking pile of shit sells better than a fundamentally good game done with love and a spark of genius.

If there's someone lost on the internent who found this forum by luck . Someone looking for a good rpg to buy to relative or kid for christmas, you knows he likes D&D and rpg a lot .. DONT BUY THIS! This game is shit , D&D is dead your nerd of a son plays pathfinder nows anyway.
For christmas he wants : Underrail, shadowrun hong returns, serpents in the staglands, age of decadence, sword and sorcery underworld, or dead state.

If ii can deny them even a single box sale this christmas i'll be really happy.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The shameful truth... revealed!
How do you know you wouldn't like getting stabbed in the kidney if you've never experienced it?

Or, to a make it a more precise analogy, when you just got stabbed in the kidney - how do you know you need medical attention? Maybe it'll get better on its own a few hours later, why not?

Brancaleone

Liturgist

They even send someone to defend and advertisee the game on this forum, i never remember this happening ever in the history of the codex. yet i lurked there in 2002 or so.

What i dont find funny at all, is during the sword coast free weekend they sold more than underrail .I checked the steam top selling list and it was on second page right before it . It seems good marketing , a luxury packaging wrapping a stinking pile of shit sells better than a fundamentally good game done with love and a spark of genius.

If there's someone lost on the internent who found this forum by luck . Someone looking for a good rpg to buy to relative or kid for christmas, you knows he likes D&D and rpg a lot .. DONT BUY THIS! This game is shit , D&D is dead your nerd of a son plays pathfinder nows anyway.
For christmas he wants : Underrail, shadowrun hong returns, serpents in the staglands, age of decadence, sword and sorcery underworld, or dead state.

If ii can deny them even a single box sale this christmas i'll be really happy.

I don't think their marketing worked much after all: according to Steamspy, the number of sold copies is back to exactly the pre-free weekend, post-50% price off level. It seems that the 50% off netted them around 7,000 more copies, but the free-weekend did not improve the situation one bit.

So there's hope. I guess.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Steamspy does not know the difference between bought and free weekend versions. That why its numbers are not reliable during these times.

Mustawd

Also, before the free weekend they had approached 80k copies on Steam alone. It's definitely nothing close to the success they wish they'd get, but one can argue it's an ok enough result for a small indie studio.

It's hard to talk about success without knowing the profitability of the game. How much did the D&D license cost? How are sales structured with their publisher (I think they have one?) ? Etc.

Moraph

Novice
probably one of the best rpg's I've played lately, although I almost gave up on the first section after the dream I'm glad i kept going I didn't rely notice how good it was until I got to the end of the sewers the first time. I wont spoil it for anyone that hasn't played through it but two things to keep in mined talk to every one, and almost every thing you do will impact the rest of the game seriously even just talking to random people, doing or not doing something. I can't remember when I've had as much fun replaying a campaign. I can't wait for the expansion packs to start rolling out for it. Oh and you can have multiple characters running through the story independently at the same time right click on your name when your at the starting camp screen before loading into the game it brings up a list of your characters, you can also pull one out of the story at anytime and restart from the beginning the monsters all scale, the quest reward loot doesn't seem to, but the random loot drops do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom