Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends - RIP n-Space!

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I remember seeing something like 40,000 copies owned shortly before the game launched.

This was the release. As you can see, they sold 60K.

JLYsF.jpg

Telengard

Arcane
Ya just have to read between the lines to see what they're really saying.

That full-size toolset they're demanding, that wouldn't work on consoles. And since we were making a console game (which is where the experience of our team lies, by the way), it was never possible for us to do what PC gamers wanted.

Mustawd

I think they said it had to do something with the PS4, the video capture, and the streaming all together.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
This is so cringeworthy...

I love how every feature request he's like
"Oh that's an amazing idea... but it's just not planned for at this time because it would take an engine more complicated then our cheap Diablo clone rip off"

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
What the hell is that game designers name? D-Lux? I mean really, is it a first name? Last name? I'm sick of these idiots with one name... Is he trying to be like one of those movie directors with one name like McG, Kaos, mink and Pitof? Never trust a director with one name and now you can add game designers. This designer has one name although he was given two at birth. For his next game he should probably use his other one.

Mustawd

Has there ever been a party-based cRPG that did well on console? I guess D:OS, but that's more co-op. This doesn't seem casual/stream-lined enough to be a Gauntlet-like, so I'm curious to see how well they do. Not really sure there's a market for this kind of game.

But it's D&D, so I'm sure they'll get some sales if they lower the price enough.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Has there ever been a party-based cRPG that did well on console? I guess D:OS, but that's more co-op. This doesn't seem casual/stream-lined enough to be a Gauntlet-like, so I'm curious to see how well they do. Not really sure there's a market for this kind of game.

Dragon Age I guess.

Mustawd

Dragon Age I guess.

Lol, totally forgot about that. Jeez. I guess, you're right. This does seem to be kind of tailor-made for that crowd.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Since their main selling point is multiplayer, including it in PS+ would be a sensible option for them, especially if sales aren't that great.

Will the game offer cross platform multiplayer?

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Maybe PS4 to XBone, but definitely not console to PC. It'd be a dumb move, as the consoles don't have the dungeon creation tools that the PC has.

If they haven't changed it, XBone doesn't allow cross-platform multiplayer. That's why e.g. Final Fantasy XIV is only on PS3/4 and PC.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath

Dragon Age I guess.

Lol, totally forgot about that. Jeez. I guess, you're right. This does seem to be kind of tailor-made for that crowd.

With luck, they'll reach a 20% of DA sales figures. And that with a D&D logo. I wonder if this will make WOTC, for a moment, consider if they made a mistake and took a wrong turn somewhere in the last decade, regarding what kind of cRPG want the D&D players.

Lhynn

Arcane
I wonder if this will make WOTC, for a moment, consider if they made a mistake and took a wrong turn somewhere in the last decade, regarding what kind of cRPG want the D&D players.
hasbro doesnt give a shit.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
With luck, they'll reach a 20% of DA sales figures. And that with a D&D logo. I wonder if this will make WOTC, for a moment, consider if they made a mistake and took a wrong turn somewhere in the last decade, regarding what kind of cRPG want the D&D players.

"N-n-n-nnobody wants a Crpg, look at how sword coast legends flopped!!"

I believe, the fact they made a game for the same crowd as DA but flopped, is actually the kind of language these binary-brain suit boys understand.

And they made all the right decisions regarding the PNP game after 4e flopped, making 5e and even releasing the OGL against all belief, so who knows.

Mustawd

I think if they had started with the campaign only, you'd see a lot less butthurt. When you mention content creation, everyone's mind automaticay goes to NWN. And the stuff they shipped is far from that.

Hindsight is 20/20 though. On paper it sounds like a fantastic idea. Execution was hamstrung by WOTC's timeline though. Regardless of the D&D compromises, a robust content creation engine would have helped to bring in the mod community.

I mean their planned changes sound interesting (like tile by tile area creation) but it's something that should have been included from the beginning.

That and the scalable monsters (e.g. Lvl 1 beholder ) killed it for me. When you peel away any reason to level up you completely break any sense of progression or scale. Even if I never played a module with that bs, it would have ruined it for me. It's just beyond a retarted idea. If you want to make a game for 7 yr olds by all means do. Just don't expect me to care.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom