Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends - RIP n-Space!

sstacks

Arcane
http://swordcoast.com

For better or worse, SCL is now in the wild.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArchAngel

Arcane
- Difficult (On higher setting the game requires to actually switch between group members and use abilities to win most battles)
So as difficult as PoE? :D

Weasel
Seems the story is going down ok but the idea that this would be the game where everyone could "recreate their favourite modules", with a long shelf life and lots of quality community content, seems pretty far off.

Would be module authors are not too happy, as in true NSpace style they'd been told a lot was being held back in the editor for final release "to avoid spoilers". Turned out it was just a couple of outdoor maps (which can't be customised.)

So no dragon for the DM client, what's going on here Cryptic...I mean N-Space?
---
You can only place the beholder as a Boss monster, not as a mob, I think. I'm guessing the same will be done with the DRAGONS! *pouts*
---
Who would have guessed, more arbitrary limitations.
---
My jaw dropped when I saw that not a single placeable was added. I kept my eyes peeled for them during story mode. They could add like 10 tents alone. Come on nSpace! These things are already modelled! Unless they did something boneheaded like merge them with the environment tiles and didn't keep separate object files?
---
Congrats N-Space You Made First Dnd Game Ever Without Orcs
---
Not only are orcs missing but so are kobolds.
---
The extremely limited amount of very specific, unmodifiable, available areas prevent players to actually experience the feeling of having travelled to a different place. Without the ability to create our own outdoor locations, or the ability to completely customize existing ones, this game and every module create will become "Groundhog Day" very very fast!
---
N-Space, are you still holding back some of the areas because of Spoiler issues or technical reasons? Also, will this be all that is available for Placeable Objects, or are they also being held back? I could've sworn I heard them say there would be A LOT more available on release. Maybe I'm wrong though... it could be the "other" voice in my head. :P
---
you did not hear wrong, just another example of them not entirely saying the truth, or at least saying what they believe is the truth. My question is.............Their explanation for not giving it to us right away AND when the pre-release started was "spoilers", but how is knowing about luskan going to spoil anything?
I am assuming i was right and it was ENTIRELY to avoid the backlash of people realizing it was only area's

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Neither did PST. And I'm pretty sure the Dark Sun and Ravenloft games didn't either, seeing as how orcs don't even exist in those settings.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Which region of the Sword Coast does the game take place in? Orcs are more associated with the northern Sword Coast.

Not that it really matters though because you'd think they're a staple of module creation which can be anywhere.

Mortmal

Arcane
So as difficult as PoE? :D
Its POE combat brother, brother in a family of mongoloids. Mostly plays itself with a few inputs, a bit less repetitve although with more boss encounters...Combat might be a tad better than poe, not thats saying much.

Mortmal

Arcane
I would say a Bubbles review would only be fitting, hes the primary responsible of SCL sales on the codex and im sure hell give it a fair treatment.

Bubbles really deserves the sword coast review, he really do. Would even contribute to a codex fundraiser if that could help him to get a copy.Thats how much i think he truly deserves to play it, fully, to the end, with screenshots as evidence.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Reviews. Seems like they're reluctant to score it: http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/116307-sword-coast-legends-reviews.html

VentureBeat sticks with a "Pending" score for now:

Sword Coast Legends, at this point, is proving to be a challenge with a story that’s keeping my interest, touching on some of my favorites parts of Forgotten Realms lore. I’m enjoying leveling up my characters and outfitting them with the gear and loot I find in dungeons. I especially enjoy how it’s linking its story to events that originated long before the misbegotten Spellplague and are happening now in D&D’s “Rage of Demons” event. I just hope the designers at N-Space and Digital Extremes can carry this expertise in Realmslore through to the story’s conclusion.

MMOHuts gives it a 4/5:

Honestly, I love this game. It’s basically everything I’ve wanted in a Dungeons and Dragons game since Neverwinter Nights. In a lot of ways, I view it as a spiritual successor to the series, taking place in the same world, with many of the same important NPCs likely still alive and influencing the world. Are there things I hope I see in it? Yes. Lots of Drow, Beholders, perhaps Obuld Many-Arrows, the Orc Chief-turned Diety. You know what I hope I don’t see? Drizzt. But that’s not relevant to this review. I’m looking forward to seeing the community explode with scenarios at release, and there’s one thing really ticking in my head about it. It has “Modules, as I said above. But with that in mind, is Wizards of the Coast going to release their own Modules/stories on Sword Coast Legends, and if so, will they be free? Will they give players a chance to use this game to publish their own created campaigns? There is a lot of potential to create/share terrific stories, and I’ve seen some real winners so far. Dungeons and Dragons: Sword Coast Legends is the real deal.

RPGFan does the impressions thing:

The combat formula is nothing new, which is perfectly fine by me. Hotkeys for skills/items, first/secondary equipment switching, point and click assignments to auto attack enemies, skill cooldowns instead of point consumption, SCL has your standard action combat mechanics, but with a interesting change. Your character's preferred skill or cantrip can be mapped to a second slot on your menu, allowing you to auto-attack with that skill. For example, this mapping allowed my Cleric to switch from a holy melee strike to a ranged holy fire spell for retreating enemies. In single player, you can pause the action and assign commands to your characters. Unfortunately, they cannot stack, so you have to pause again if the strategy needs a change.

PCGamesN goes with an impressions piece, too:

This is really what I want from a D&D game – the tabletop game crammed into my PC, not an RPG inspired by, based on or set in a D&D realm. The build we’ve been playing with, which is not the launch build, feels like it’s missing some user friendliness when it comes to designing dungeons, and there are a few things I still can’t figure out, or am unsure if they’re either bugs or I’m missing something. But despite all of that, God it’s fun.

Bammsters goes scoreless:

The toolset allows for creating story-modules of almost any length, and hosting them as an engaging Dungeon Master, where you can truly tell stories of epic scope, while quickly setting up the locales, friendly peasants, and hostile Mindflayers. However, the moment you want to step away from the Dungeon Mastered gameplay, you find that the toolset is limiting you in ways that I can only describe as naïve. it is the way that the game is focused on the dungeon mastered play-sessions that results in a simpler, more accessible game, but also one where the complexity required for truly in-depth stories, is simply not there.

tindrli

Arcane
did any of Bros tried it, i just dot even bother to read mainstream reviews coz they are all corrupted(read retarded). A broe opinion would suffice

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
did any of Bros tried it, i just dot even bother to read mainstream reviews coz they are all corrupted(read retarded). A broe opinion would suffice
It will take some time to find someone in here that has the balls to admit he plays this

Lhynn

Arcane
Meanwhile, PoE's next patch is going to introduce dozens of hard counters and immunities into the game. Could PoE yet turn out to be the D&D cRPG we always wanted?
Been out of touch with poe, this true?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom