Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Sword of Aragon with a Codexian War Council

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
sword-of-aragon_1.gif

I've been toying around with an awesome game called Sword of Aragon. It is a strategy roleplaying game published by the once great and fallen SSI company in 1989. You play a young duke trying to reconquer his father's splintered realm, before going forth and conquering surrounding lands. The game is split between heroes and the armies that they lead, with a sprinkling of city management in between. Hordes of enemies attack you and your cities with allied generals fighting back with their forces, but occasionally your heroes have to venture by themselves to complete smaller quests.

This will be my fourth time starting the game. I will play the main character, but I will create my generals using volunteers from RPG Codex. As long as there is interest, I will continue the LP. Else I might just try a quickly completed playthrough so that I may write a review of it for Tacticular Cancer.

Overview from the Game Manual:

The Duke of Aladda has died and left his last will and testament to you, his only child and heir. The Duke's legacy is a gallant one, replete with deeds of valor in the defense of Aladda. By dint of his efforts, the former capital of the western realm of the Aragonian Empire has returned to a proud state. It is your father's deepest wish that you once again extend Aladda's dominion and eventually sit on the emperor's throne in the city of Tetrada. Executing your father's will properly means raising and equipping an army, then venturing forth to do battle against the dastardly foes threatening Aladda and its surroundings. You may be called upon to slay monsters, march against the demonic rulers of the Eastern realms; even to defend Aladda against the plundering appetites of Orcan armies. Fortunately, the rewards of success are great. So, assemble your army wisely, and campaign with vigor. May good fortune once again shine upon Aladda and the lands of Aragon. Your success in Sword of Aragon is determined by your allocation of precious resources, military planning and combat maneuvers. Knights, priests, warriors, mages, rangers, cavalry, infantry, and bowmen, plus the collected population of Aladda, await your commands.

More info from the manual:

The History of Aladda, As told by the Court Historian

Twenty years ago, Aladda was a miserably poor land, a pale reflection of its former glory as capital of the western half of the once-mighty Aragonian Empire. Its people were terror-stricken, though the land itself was rich in resources: fertile soils, abundant forests, and varied mineral assets graced the surrounding areas. In its weakened state, Aladda was also an easy mark for an array of monsters who periodically raided its territory, stripping the land of its sustenance. On the rare occasions that Aladdans resisted these incursions, bravery met evil and was overcome.

Then one day the humiliations came to an end. A band of fiendish goblins ransacked the village with plunderers' glee. Pillaging and looting, publicly humiliating residents, the horde now prepared to take its leave. Suddenly, two riders appeared on a hill south of the village: a knight and his squire. The tall knight rode a giant warhorse and raised his lance high in the air. The knight and his horse were both draped in dusty, worn - and sturdy mail armor. For a few moments, the knight and his loyal squire sat motionless. Both raiders and peasants were transfixed by the sight. The knight lowered his lance and put spurs to his mount's flank. He charged down the slope directly at the startled mob.

At first, the Goblins did nothing, paralyzed at the sight of the attacker on his furious charger. Once they realized that this man was for real, they drew their weapons and scattered. The marauders' fate was already sealed. The villagers watched in amazed delight as their mysterious champion cut a swath through the fleeing Goblin horde. None was spared the knight's righteous wrath that day.

In gratitude, the villagers cared for the knight's wounds and the needs of his squire. When the knight recovered, a delegation from the village approached him with a proposal. They offered their undying allegiance in return for the knight's pledge to lead and protect the village.

The brave young knight accepted the villagers' proposal. Some say it was a sacred vow that he took to protect all who are weak. Others believed that the pretty young maid who nursed him back to health was truer inspiration for the knight's decision. The maid became his bride, and after a proper amount of time had passed, the noble pair were blessed with a child: You.

The knight began his work in earnest, but soon found that slaying a horde of goblins is easier than dealing with the multitude of daily problems that confound a land. There were many frustrations and many setbacks. There were more raids by creatures that roamed the wilderness, but the knight and his small but growing force of soldiers repulsed them. Under his leadership, Aladda moved towards a happier reality. Before long, the people began calling him "The Duke" of Aladda. Throughout your childhood, Aladda prospered. As your father's prowess in battle grew, he gained knowledge of both nearby and faraway places. The Duke's scribes recorded bits and pieces of information about foreign lands brought by travelers to Aladda. His spies and scouts ranged far and wide, collecting information on all facets of these lands, from their customs and histories to their economies, politics, and military potential.

As you approached adulthood, the Duke provided you with a formal, well-rounded education - along with intensive military training. He hired a number of teachers from distant lands to instruct you in the arts of diplomacy and leadership. Your father's personal example amply reinforced your scholar's diligent efforts. Over time, the Duke's plans and dreams have gradually been revealed to you. It was his fondest hope that Aragon would one day regain the glory of bygone days when the blessings of civilization were known to all the people of the realm. Cities prospered, their residents free from the encroachment of marauding creatures. The citizens prospered through industriousness and individual initiative. Alas, your father will not fulfill his dream. An Orc raiding party surprised your father's forces, pressing into the village itself. At a critical moment, the Duke arose in fury, surpassing his previous martial deeds. Orc after orc fell before his blade. The battle was nearly won when a priest of some hideous, orcish deity managed to cast an evil enchantment upon the Duke and slew him! The remnants of the orcs then withdrew, presumably to find reinforcements for a final battle against Aladda and its people.

And so the mantle of leadership has been literally thrust upon your shoulders, years before you'd planned. The hardwon gains of your father are in your hands. Your success depends on wise choices - and the element of chance. In this time of trial, your father's testament and journal - and a cast of able advisors - will guide you. You have 80 soldiers plus your father's wealth to help you realize your destiny! Praise the Aladdan cause!

Notebook of the Duke of Aladda
The History of the lands of Aragon in centuries past The land of Aragon, which lies in the northeastern corner of the continent, is isolated by forbidding deserts, impassable mountains, and unfordable rivers. The vast majority of the land is lightly populated or completely uninhabited. Only a few population centers dot its imposing terrain. Most of the humans that dwell in the land of Aragon live in an uncivilized state. Such was not always the case. Almost nine centuries ago, Justinid I established the Aragonian Empire, uniting the existing Eastrealm and Westrealm, and forming treaties of alliance with the existing elves and dwarves of Aragon. The resultant Aragonian Empire flourished for centuries. The rich lands provided bountiful harvests both to feed the large population and to export overseas. The lush forests provided materials for a great merchant Armada that conducted trade throughout the known world. The Luftgar Mountains that bisect the land from north to south contained vast mineral resources. An industrious populace learned how to exploit these resources effectively.

A succession of wise and gifted rulers continued the rich legacy of Justinid I. They utilized their governing skills and theland's natural resources to the peoples' benefit. The land thrived and the people were happy and contented. Alas, the abundance of Aragon attracted the notice of the fiendish monsters that inhabited the surrounding wilderness. The soldiers of the empire were increasingly called upon to fend off raids by the hordes which attacked. Though it was noticed by few at the time, this frequent fighting drained the vitality of the nation. As the invaders became more numerous and powerful, discord broke out among the ruling classes. Nobles turned against their Emperor as disputes arose over royal protection of vassal states. The authority of the Emperor waned, and in some areas he ruled in name only.

In 523 QJ, Emperor Thorivid was assassinated, leaving no heirs. Governor-General Brethon of Tetrada laid claim to the title of Emperor for himself. There was strong opposition from the southern provinces, the cities of the Westrealm seceded from the Empire, and civil war ensued. The cities in the west fought amongst themselves over petty disputes. Years of countless bloody battles in Eastrealm left the factions still at odds, but stalemated in their mutual hostility. The fearsome Brethon initiated what were later called the "Years of Chaos." Rare is the leader who moves History according to his designs, yet so it was with Brethon.

Luckily, the Tetradan despot met an unhappy end at the hands of his kinsmen. Just as the conflicts were abating following Brethon's death, the "Year of Disaster" brought floods, and then, drought in 527 QJ. The resulting starvation and disease took the lives of thousands of the ancient Aragonians. Matters further deteriorated with the advent of the "Years of Horror." First, the Justinid Pass fell to the Zarnix Orcs, a huge "harol" that swept down from the mountains and overwhelmed the weakened defenders clinging to their strategic fortress guarding the pass. Then, hordes of titans led by a charismatic mage joined with masses of goblins to form an invincible and hideous army, which rolled across the lands, engulfing and destroying everything in its way. Tetrada fell to the horde in 531 QJ and the wealth of the Aragonian Empire was lost to the monsters.

Thus, the ancient empire fell and was stripped of much of its accumulated riches. The lands of Aragon have been in darkness during the three centuries since the "Three Catastrophes." Only now are some cities returning to a semblance of the civilization known in ancient times. Legend has it that the ancient emperors had always possessed three symbols of authority that signified the ruler of all Aragon. Two of these items, the Scepter of the East and the Crown of the West, were lost when the Goblins and Titans virtually destroyed ancient Tetrada in the final battle of the Year of Horror. The Amulet of Aladda had also vanished, but legend has it that before his painful death from an administered poison, Justinid XVI sent the Amulet away from traitorous Brethon's reach. The location of these items is today an intriguing mystery.

Our city info:
NAME Aladda
POPULATION 1,500
LOCATION Northwest Aragon, on Garrish River
RESOURCES Lumber, minerals, rich soil
ECONOMY Farming, some commerce along the river
RULER You

The inhabitants of Aladda are descendants of a highly industrious people who once possessed one of the highest standards of living in the Aragonian Empire. The resources of the area will provide a strong economic boost. Agricultural potential is strong because of the fertile soil and a temperate climate.

Aladda occupies the broad, fertile plain between the Luftgar Mountains and the Garroth River. The navigable Garrish river bisects Aladda into an eastern and western section. Rather than divide the region, the river serves to glue the area together politically and economically.

Beyond the plains in the east sit the luxuriant forests of the Tranavan Forest. The land to the west slopes up toward the hills, forming the margin of marshland tracts near the Garroth River.

----------------

octavius and commie will probably lecture me, but I am planning on playing a wizard so I can check out the spells. The lead character starts at a higher level, and so he has the best chance of reaching advanced spells first. On the other hand, I will miss out on being able to purchase certain units on the cheap. If I was a warrior I would get a discount on infantry, a knight on cavalry, and a ranger on bowmen.

Heroes can die in this game. If your character dies you can create a new one at the starting level. Each Codex volunteer will get to pick his character class from the following list of five from the manual:

Warrior: A tough fighter with moderate attack and defense capacity.
Knight: A fearsome mounted man, a well-equipped knight inflicts heavy damage and absorbs the same.
Ranger: Less suited for combat than a warrior or knight, rangers also have spell casting ability.
- Spells in order of character level: Grow, Dry, Light, Wither, Mud, Vigor, Rally, Xhaust, Heal, Fear, Bridge, Tower
Priest: Primarily healers, but priests can also cast invigorating spells. A priest's restorative powers are vital to damaged unit's restoration.
- Spells in order of character level: Vigor, Light, Rally, Xhaust, Bless, Heal, Fear, Prayer, Tower, Quake, Cure, Disintegrate
Mage: This magic-user is effective at befuddling armed opposition. The mage is ideal for softening up the opposition for your troops.
- Spells in order of character level: Light, Slow, Confuse, Fear, Mud, Bridge, Haste, Pyro, Quake, Teleport, Distintegrate, Gate

-----

War Council:
15159.jpg
Deuce Traveler, Mage, Level 15, Stationed at Tetrada
15975.jpg
Irenaeus, Priest, Level 12, Stationed at Tetrada
15668.jpg
Eryfkrad, Warrior, Level 18, Stationed at Tetrada
10548.jpg
Overboard, Knight, Level 16, Stationed at Tetrada
17429.jpg
Elfberserker, Ranger, Level 13, Stationed at Tetrada

Kashmir Slippers, Priest, Level 9, Stationed at Tetrada

8501.jpg
octavius, Knight, Level 13, Stationed at Tetrada
12112.jpg
Ulminati, Mage, Level 10, Stationed at Tetrada
14412.jpg
Monstrous Bat, Warrior, Level 19, Stationed at Tetrada
15534.jpg
Desktop Commander, Knight, Level 15, Stationed at Tetrada
2337.jpg
Azira, Mage, Level 10, Stationed at Tetrada
10418.jpg
SCO, Mage, Level 2, Killed at Pitlag's Last Stand
SCO, Warrior, Level 1, Killed at the Battle of Paritan

SCO, Warrior, Level 13, Stationed at Tetrada

14738.jpg
TigerKnee, Mage, Level 7, Killed at Battle of Tetrada
16450.jpg
Jester, Knight, Level 6, Killed at the Battle of Char
Jester, Priest, Level 5, Stationed at Tetrada
15322.jpg
Dayyālu, Warrior, Level 11, Stationed at Tetrada

5185.jpg
RK47. Warrior, Level 11, Impressed into Service at Tetrada

11623.jpg
Crooked Bee, Ranger, Level 8, Impressed into Service at Tetrada
1761.jpg
Jaesun, Warrior, Level 11, Impressed into Service at Tetrada
10795.jpg
Unkillable Cat, Knight, Level 8, Impressed into Service at Tetrada
7705.jpg
felipepe, Warrior, Level 8, Impressed into Service at Tetrada
15201.jpg
Kipeci, Mage, Level 3, Stationed at Tetrada

-----

Time to get started. We only have one turn before the hordes return to finish the city off. I will take suggestions on what units to purchase first. We can start with Infantry (cheap, but not very mobile), Mounted Infantry (expensive), Cavalry (very expensive, fast, poor archery), Bowmen, a (awesome units, can hit all enemy in a stack, relatively cheap) and Mounted Bowmen (most expensive).

sword_000.png

sword_001.png

The enemy will come from the west. The section of orange blocks to the east are unexplored lands.

Last edited:

TigerKnee

Arcane
Hmm, I could never get into this game even though it should technically interest me, probably because I suck at wide-scale strategy. Let's see how you do.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Since mages pay full price for all units, you'll probably be best off with a mix of Infantry, Bowmen and Cavalry. Infantry for defending, Bowmen for attacking from behind the walls, and Cavalry for chasing down and annihilate fleeing units. The more enemy units you destroy the more XP and Gold you get.

If there is room left, make me a Ranger, since that is the class I recommended.

I think you'll find it tough going in the beginning as a Mage, but once you reach high levels the spells at your disposal and your hopefully improved economy should make up for it.

Last edited:

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Sign me up as a Warrior.

This game looks interesting, wonder why I'd never heard of it. Is this Birthright?

I'd like to sign up as a Knight if there is still room for another valiant protector of the people of Aladda.

As for what to do next: I have never played this game before, so I don't really know how things work exactly. But since we have just started out and need to defend ourselves, I would recommend we put our bets mostly on bowmen and Infantry (nonmounted). The reasoning being that it won't drain our funds as much as the other options and I suppose that we will need to leave Aladda fortified anyway, so excessive amounts of mounted units would be a waste at this stage.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The priest heard the opening of the chamber door and the scuffing of two pairs of feet, but he did not turn as he was midway through his prayer. The visit was not unexpected, nor were the inpatient words.

15668.jpg
It's time, priest. Our arms and our steel are needed in the coming hour.

The priest, Irenaeus, at last finished his supplication and rose to face the warrior named Eryfkrad.

15975.jpg
All the more reason to ask for God's divine blessings. It is in his interests to support the faithful against the heretical horde.

The second companion, a knight named Overboard, smirked and voiced his own opinion.

10548.jpg
God on one hand and steel in the other? I think I could make that work.

They left the small worship room and walked across the city to the nearby low walls. The fortifications were not much, but they had been greatly improved upon since the defeat of the Duke and his veteran army. Now all that was left of Aladda's defensive forces were one hundred young men quickly armed for the coming defense and nearly a dozen young cadets now graduated before their time to lead what could barely be called a composite company. Deuce Traveler, the new Duke, spoke first.

15159.jpg
I had considered meeting the horde outside the gates to spare the population a siege, but our rangers inform me that we are facing the same orcs that ambushed our fathers, and it would seem that they number in the hundreds. We would meet the same fate as our forebears.

17429.jpg
That is correct. I believe the defenses should hold long enough for our archers to make good effect. I will be leading them from the rear ranks.

15159.jpg
So they are ready and equipped?

The quartermaster, Desktop Commander, grunted assent.

15534.jpg
I armed and readied them myself in the last few days we had to drill. Since resources and time were limited I divided the men into two 35-man platoons of infantry and a 30-man platoon of archers. I'll be keeping them supplied during the battle, along with Ulminati and Kashmir Slippers.

12112.jpg
Hmph... field work, is it?

15668.jpg
Overboard and I will be in the front ranks among the men.

15159.jpg
Very well. I'll support the forces from the rear ranks with my magic. Irenaeus will be with me to do the same.

15975.jpg
No, I best stay with the front ranks. Unlike your magic, mine is best used when in close quarters with allied soldiers.

10548.jpg
Good man.

8501.jpg
We have holes to patch up in places, so I'll be checking our fortifications.

14412.jpg
And I'll be organizing the civilians into fire brigades.

15159.jpg
Very well. We all seem to know our roles. Let's get to it, then.

--------------

sword_002.png

sword_003.png

sword_004.png

sword_005.png

sword_008.png

sword_009.png

sword_007.png

I decided not to skimp on forces and training. In the first round I've created two infantry units with Chain Mail, Sword, Small Shields, Spears and Thrown Weapons. Also a bow unit with Crossbows, leather armor and maces.

I also choose a city improvement on agriculture. This may seem odd until you see later how bad winter effects the ability for a city to feed itself. And right on cue, here comes the enemy.

sword_010.png

"The monsters that killed your father and looted your realm have returned! Now is your chance to avenge his death, and to prove yourself to the people of Aladda. Hope your new army is worthy! Scouts report that there are about four hundred orcs approaching from the northwest."

sword_011.png

sword_012.png

The orcs hards are coming towards us fast, and our city is only three squares in size. I place Eryfkrad and one infantry unit on the southwest tile of Aladda, and Irenaeus, Overboard and another infantry unit on the northwest tile. The archers, myself and Elfberserker stay in the eastern tile ready to use magic and rain death in support.

I planned to have Elfberserker cast the spell Grow in front of Eryfkrad and the Aladda 2nd Infantry so that those two could leave their positions and stack with Overboard's Aladda 1st Infantry unit, but the Grow spell will only work in areas that already have some vegetation and the fields outside the city are barren. Instead our front line simply entrenches and our rear line waits impatiently.

sword_018.png

Some orc scouts slam into our front lines and are scattered, but we hold. The rest of the horde is slower, but will hit us next turn. Irenaeus casts a Vigor spell to try to renew tired arms for the inevitable second attack. I have my mage cast a slow spell on the front ranks, while Elfberserker fires a volley into them with little effect. Our archers do much better, firing two volleys for 14 solid hits. It's the end of turn two and we've whittled the orcs down quite a bit.

sword_014.png

sword_015.png

sword_016.png

sword_018.png

sword_019.png

sword_021.png

Although I hated doing it, I'm glad I split my forces for the orcs do indeed try to pour around. Overboard, Irenaeus and the Aladda 1st Infantry take the worst of it, but another column of orcs charge into Eryfkrad and the Aladda 2nd Infantry. The line once again holds and the first orc units completely eliminated. It also seems that Irenaeus' Vigor spell is keeping the men in the fight. We have lost some good soldiers, however. The 1st is down to 29 fighting men and the second is down to 32. I elect to hold our entrenched positions and try to whittle down the forces some more with arrows. All our heroes except the bowless Overboard and each unit rains arrows down to good effect. By the time we are done, the orcs are at 68% effectiveness while our own forces are at 90% effectiveness. We have also brought the orc numbers down from just under 400 to 261. I get a screen telling me the enemy is defeated, but we choose to ignore it so we can lay down some more suffering. Also you gain gold based on the total wealth the enemy had multiplied by the percentage of effectiveness he had left when fighting is done. God and steel, lads!

sword_023.png

sword_024.png

sword_025.png

sword_026.png

When the smoke clears, it shows it was a complete route. We destroyed more than half of the enemy forces that were arrayed against us, but the Aladda 1st Infantry lost four men and the 2nd lost three. We will remember the sacrifice of these luckless seven. Our heroic deeds also attract a mage who wishes to join us. I look down the list of Codexers and name him Ulminati. Welcome to the field! I also find a lost artifact of the previous Duke called the Wand of Attacks. I have no idea what it does, but I'm glad it's mine.

sword_027.png

Now that our first game month is over we also get our first quest. "Your captain reports that an escaped slave has told of a monster that has hundreds of captives! The monster is near the river, in the unexplored area to the southwest. He says the hideous creature is as strong as fifty men!" Note that we are also importing agriculture to feed our populace. This is the main reason I wish to develop that first.

We are spending a lot of money on upkeep of men and heroes, so we want to complete quests in order to gain treasure that helps us afford our expenditures. Note that this report also came from Aladda, so if we hunt this monster it will help the morale of our city. Ignoring it will hurt morale.

For those of you not yet deployed, I am sorry but the game won't let me create more heroes until I gain another level. Also, I can't take the entire force out of Aladda since doing so will attract monsters to attack our unguarded area. So one infantry unit and one hero will have to stay behind. I leave the 2nd Infantry back with our newby, Ulminati.

sword_028.png

The rest of us press into the hills southwest of Aladda, and I get lucky because we run into the creature without having to waste turns running back and forth in search. "Scouts report that a horrible monster is holding captives just ahead! You have found the cyclops!"

The cyclops fires missile weapons (large rocks), so we can't stack our units. Missile fire hits every stacked unit of a targeted tile. This will not be a fun battle as standing still is suicide, but charging unsupported can also be suicidal if the strong cyclops units surround an isolated hero. We spread our forces out a bit and all move nervously forward. Elfberserker actually comes into range, but the hills in between us and the cyclops units block his field of fire. The cyclops fires a boulder, striking and wounding Overboard.

sword_029.png

sword_031.png

sword_032.png

Eryfkrad tries to close, but runs out of movement just short of the enemy. The 1st Infantry also cannot close the distance. Overboard gets up close and can attack, but I decide to move up the remaining forces beyond the hills and fire arrows into the cyclops unit. He takes over a dozen hits, but it hardly fazes him, so I have Overboard link up with Eryfkrad instead. Sure enough, the cyclops attacks them, and somehow their combined strength results in the cyclops taking it worse. Irenaeus slips over to them and bolsters their forces with Vigor, while the heroes entrench their positions for the next attack. I cast Slow on the cyclops, and Elfberserker and the bowmen pour on the arrows.

sword_033.png

sword_034.png

sword_035.png

sword_036.png

On the final round I beat the cyclops up some more with missile fire. Then I link the 1st Infantry with our priest, knight and warrior and have them move into his hex tile and engage in hand-to-hand combat, killing the Cyclops this round without losing another man (though Overboard came close to being badly wounded). We lost a man early in battle when closing to attack, but the treasure haul was worth it. That's enough funding to keep us going for awhile.

It takes me a couple of turns to get back, and I'm glad that I have been upgrading our agriculture since now we are a net exporter of grain. :) During the two turns, we get the following news, however.

sword_037.png

"Word has spread that the aged Duke of Marinia has died of the pox. The army has turned brigand, and has been fighting to determine the next ruler."

sword_038.png

"Recently, a young boy has disappeared from a caravan. The rumors say that he has was taken by a horde of goblins which is camped on the road between Marinia and Brocada. The merchant is said to have offered a 5,000 gold reward for his safe return."

It is July, and it looks like we are being pointed towards action in Marinia, which is to the north. I would like to send a force up there, but we don't want to get caught out in the open during winter and our infantry moves slow. Also quests will continue to occur near Aladda at a fast pace, which means plenty of leveling opportunities and plunder. Looks like we are going to have to split the party with the strong force heading north and the weaker force holding down the fort and defending against invaders. Who is for conquest and who is for protecting the good people of Aladda?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Attack if you think you can get the troops back in time.

Yes, logistics is very important in this game; you really don't want to be caught out in the open by the coming of winter. So you need to plan carefully. Also, sometimes it's better to wait and let things develop further before reacting to it.
Anyway, I would no gamble with leaving your capital undefended. OTOH you need to seize the initiative, so the best course of action is probably to train more soldiers and split your forces in two. Taking care of those goblins should be more pressing than getting involved in foreign politics. I don't remember the details of the game, so it's not spoiling, but what I would have done myself.

Normally I'd be all for conquest. But considering that Winter is approaching quickly and there being enough to do around the capital, it might be wiser to go adventuring around Aladda for now. This way we can build up our strength and have a larger and more experienced force once spring comes around. Then we can try and take that land anyway, presumably with a lot more ease than if we marched north right now (provided that the event does not expire - does that happen in this game?).

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Normally I'd be all for conquest. But considering that Winter is approaching quickly and there being enough to do around the capital, it might be wiser to go adventuring around Aladda for now. This way we can build up our strength and have a larger and more experienced force once spring comes around. Then we can try and take that land anyway, presumably with a lot more ease than if we marched north right now (provided that the event does not expire - does that happen in this game?).

Sometimes things get so bad in a neighboring city that the citizens will get themselves into trouble, require rescuing, and then be so grateful for your intervention that they throw the gates open for you when you show up at their town. No conquering needed. As octavius mentioned, sometimes waiting is in your advantage.

On the other hand, crpgaddict took too long to rescue the boy in his playthrough and found a corpse after he took on the goblins. Because of this, I am thinking of sending a fast force of heroes and a newly created mounted unit north towards Marinia. If they run into citizens asking them to occupy the city and push out the brigands, I'll have them move to do so. If not, I'm going to have them turn towards the goblin camp in an attempt to snatch and grab the kid for the cash reward and the gratitude of the city the kid comes from, then have them rush back to Aladda before winter comes. Travelling in winter usually results in the death of a hero. So does attempting to move a badly wounded hero from a location without resting first.

Oh, another thing. If you wait too long another ruler may grab the weakened city you were eyeballing before you can get to it. Then he starts growing a larger army then you are able in order to take you on shortly after. This game is awesome. :)

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
I agree with octavius and Desktop commander. With winter coming soon, and our force still weak, we should focus on building up our army and wealth before poking our noses in foreign politics. The chance for conquest shouldn't expire that fast, right?

Also I think you have mistakenly signed Desktop Commander up as a warrior.

Oh, nice, I wasn't sure whether or not the game was this dynamic. I can see now why you like it as much as you do.

In this case I agree with your plan of at least trying to push north and take the city, since this seems like one of those events where waiting would be to our disadvantage (someone else takes over city, trains units over winter, city heavily fortified in spring). I volunteer to lead a group of cavalry in their righteous campaign to bring civilization back to Marinia.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
I didn't mean to go this many days without an update, but my laptop has a BIOS corruption and it was down for a couple of days while I worked out a fix. So sorry for the lack of updates. The war council has made its points, agreeing that we should be aggressive with a conquering force, and yet respecting the fact that winter is fast approaching. To balance the two points of view I decided to send a fast force to visit the area of Marinia to the northwest, in order to see if the city would welcome us. Whether or not it does, we also need to attempt to rescue the goblin's hostage northeast of Marinia, and three of our officers volunteered to go with a newly created mounted unit for strength and speed.

We received 28 volunteer soldiers from the hostages we rescued from the cyclops. The rest of the hostages have been added to Aladda's overall population. I tried experimenting with the costs for a new unit of 28 mounted men. Just arming a light cavalry unit with leather armor, small shields, a mace, a lance, light horse and leather barding costs us 2296gp to create and 112 gp a month to maintain. Mounted infantry was even more costly, since they could also use javelins for distance attacks. I ended up balking at the costs quite a bit, as we are looking at more than a third of our treasury depleted, but we are sending this force by itself and unsupported and they will be protecting our three heroes. And we will get to see if cavalry are worth the price.

sword_039.png

We take a turn to train our new cavalry members, and also to upgrade the agricultural, lumber and commerce levels of the city. Then we rest into August, which is the soonest the cavalry unit can set out since they start out with zero movement point upon creation. Before we can press on with the recoinnaissance in force, we are attacked by another force of humanoids. "A goblin army invades Aladda. They are attacking at night!" Things like this often happen as random encounters. I'm a bit cocky on our chances here, since we have all our heroes and armies in one place for now, though the enemy does outnumber us 300 to 128.

sword_041.png

sword_042.png

sword_043.png

The mages, Deuce Traveler and Ulminati are in the back row, preparing their spells. They are joined by the 1st Aladda Bowmen. The 1st Aladda Infantry is up front with Eryfkrad, Irenaeus, and our newly created 1st Aladda Cav unit. Overboard leads the 2nd Aladda Infantry up front, but guarding the 1st Aladda Infantry's flank. Or so I thought... I assumed the goblins would come from the west, like the orcs had done, but instead they came up from a southerly route. It's Overboard and the 2nd Aladda Infantry that take the brunt of the attack, while another goblin unit stops just short of our wizards and bowmen. Instead of having the wizards and archers retreat out of the city, I instead have the 1st Aladda Infantry and Eryfkrad units join them. Irenaeus and the cavalry unit move to support Overboard's command of the 2nd Infantry.

sword_044.png

Since the goblins attacked at night, Ulminati brightens the sky with a light spell, which reverses the advantage. We then entrench and rain some fire down on the goblins standing against us. The attack is more than successful, as I have each unit attack individually, purposely finishing up with our unit of archers last. The goblins in front of our wizards are completely wiped out before they can engage us once more in hand to hand. I have the Aladda 2nd infantry and Irenaeus fire arrows into the units in front of them, doing some decent damage, but it's Overboard and the 1st Cavalry that really shine as they do a foray outside of the city walls, wiping out another mass of goblins before returning back to the city walls. The goblins are now down to 66% effectiveness and change tactics a bit. One unit moves northwards in an attempt to attack our northern flank, while reinforcements try to hit us from the northwest. Eryfkrad and the 1st Infantry takes the northwest section of the city and entrench. They have enough movement points left to also take a potshot against the units north of them, weakening that threate further. I leave the 1st cavalry and 2nd infantry units to the southwest along with Overboard and Irenaeus to command. Irenaeus casts Vigor on the tired group before taking a shot at the enemy. Not having missile weapons that can hit the goblin units, the remaining forces in the southwest entrench and eagerly wait.

sword_045.png

sword_046.png

It's frustrating, but the goblins completely ignore my stronger southwest forces and attack Eryfkrad and the 30 soldiers of the 1st Infantry. I don't know how they do it, but our forces hold without taking damage, though the enemy is obviously hurt as they are down to 61% effectiveness. Ireneaus, however, is wounded as the goblins that were not able to close into melee fired rounds into his position. The priest casts another Vigor upon himself, which greatly helps. I have him and the 2nd Infantry hold the flank while Overboard and the 1st Cavalry go to aid Eryfkrad's line. Ulminati and I fire two rounds of arrows into the northmost goblins, dealing 15 hits of damage. Elfberserker and his unit of Bowmen strike next, firing into the larger goblin mass twice, dealing a devastating 54 hits of damage. Expectedly, the enemy is broken and is now at 34%. I elect to continue the slaughter another round despite the fact we won't get much gold out of them. The battle is worthwhile for us despite losing two infantrymen, with Erykfrad and the 1st Infantry gaining a level for their bloody work when we were being flanked from the northwest. The huge victory also results in a Warrior wanting to join our cause. Monstrous Bat is in!

sword_047.png

sword_048.png

Eryfkrad, Ulminati, and Elfberserker lead the force out, while myself, Irenaeus, Overboard and Monstrous Bat guard our city with our remaining infantry and archers. The conquering forces makes it to Marinia, but are not welcomed into the city, so they head north in the hopes of finding and rescuing the boy from goblins. With nothing else to do but wait at Aladda with the remaining forces, I decide on a quick patrol with our Aladda forces a few spaces south and run into a random encounter of against an orc host. They outnumber us 314 to 96. It's ironic that we found trouble in our backyard, while our other force has yet to run into any problems.

sword_050.png

Irenaeus and Overboard take the position against the larger goblin force with the 2nd Infantry, while our new member, Monstrous Bat, entrenches his position with the 1st. I cast Slow at the nearby large force, while the archers of the 1st Bowman unit take their bloody toll on the enemy. The enemy counterattacks, and I'm glad I put two heroes with the 2nd Infantry, because the orcs hit it the hardest, breaking our unit during the battle. The 2nd holds the line, but loses 10 of its 30 men in the process, some of which are critically wounded.

sword_051.png

sword_052.png

After having the 2st Bowmen fire two volleys, I have Irenaeus cast Vigor, gather the four heroes and the Aladda 1st Infantry, and charge the remaining orc force. We win the battle and Deuce Traveler and Overboard each gain a level, but it was a costly victory as we lost a total of 11 men. The orcs fought like madman, losing their entire force in just two rounds.

sword_054.png

sword_055.png

Licking our wounds, our men limp back to Aladda to hole up, developing Commerce, Agriculture, and our Fortifications for the month. We also get a warning about exploring to the south at this point of the game: "A trusted adviser suggests that you look to the west and north of Aladda before adventuring into the wilds of southern Aragon!" Well, that's a pretty strong hint.

sword_049.png

We rest and ready for September, and Aladda is attacked once more by a goblin force numbering 200. Monstrous Bat holds the weaker flank with the recovering 2nd Infantry while Irenaeus and Overboard hold the position we expect the attack to target with the 1st. I cover with magic and the 1st Bowman once more. The goblins take the straight approach this time, foolishing striking against our stronger flank. Seeing no flanking movement likely, Monstrous Bat and the 2nd Infantry move up to reinforce as I and the bowmen keep the pressure up with magic and missiles. My new confusion spell works wonders here, effecting 50% of the larger targeted force of goblins and making them more susceptible to our archers. Even Overboard has some fun, as he charges the reduced goblins right outside the fortifications, single-handedly slaughtering the confused and fleeing foe.

sword_058.png

sword_059.png

sword_061.png

The 2nd Infantry and Irenaeus gain a level. Our priest can now cast Light, which aids in night battles. A knight also joins us after these great deeds. Welcome Desktop Commander!

sword_063.png

sword_064.png

We also get this good news: "A surge in popularity of the army has caused an increase in recruiting." Looks like we can reconstitute our infantry forces. We also exported 394gp of food, so our agricultural development is bearing fruit.

sword_056.png

sword_057.png

sword_066.png

The young boy's situation is growing more desperate. "The rumor about the young boy disappearing from a caravan is true. Your captain reports that the merchant and several reliable witnesses have reported his abduction by goblins on the road between Marinia and Brocada. The merchant is offering a reward for his safe return of 6,000 gold!" Time is running out for the wee lad. After some fruitless searching, we finally locate the goblins that attacked the merchant camp. Though it looks like we are in some serious trouble. The goblins outnumber us by 420 to 31. Worse yet, they have our forces surrounded and are also equipped with cavalry units. We will have to take them on piecemeal, before they can put their superior numbers to bear. The goblins also have archers, so stacking is a bad idea, as Ulminati finds out when he gets his by some arrows. On the other hand, if I leave him too far away he'll get surrounded and chopped to pieces. I take a chance, having Elfberserker
and Ulminati stay alone while Erykfrad and the cavalry charge the closest goblins and eliminate them.

sword_067.png

sword_068.png

sword_069.png

sword_070.png

We lost three cavalrymen, but we are making progress against the enemy. I hope our luck holds, but this will be close. I creep my forces slowly north towards the waiting goblin forces. No more attacks hit my southern flank, and so I also take the time to resupply Elfberserker and Ulminati in case they needed more arrows. It was only a four gold piece cost. For some reason the enemy decides to flee right when I am about to engage in melee, despite having a numerical advantage. I decide to move up further and try to get a last hit in with some arrows from Elfberserker while Eryfkrad wipes out two units in a cavalry charge. We lose three men total, but edge out 648gp from the battle, meaning we somehow wiped out more than 20% of the enemy, mostly due to their boneheaded tactics. Also, I should admit that our cavalry did pretty damn awesome.

sword_072.png

"You have defeated the goblins! Although some goods and wagons were recovered, only a large pile of charred bones remains f any captives." Shit! Were we too late, or is there another encampment?
In the meantime, I got word of a minotaur who had been a threat to travelers nearby. Deuce Traveler left an infantry company behind and went into the nearby woods to investigate. Unfortunately his men feared continuing onwards, leaving the heroes to advance by themselves. "Scouts report that a terrible monster is camped among the trees to the north! You have found a minotaur! None of your men will advance, they fear for their lives. Your heroes are not afraid, though!" Desktop Commander, Monstrous Bat, Overboard, Irenaeus and Deuce Traveler take to the challenge as I stack them in one location. The minotaur is a nasty threat, and can straight out kill our cripple our heroes in a melee attack.

sword_073.png

sword_074.png

sword_075.png

sword_079.png

sword_080.png

sword_081.png

sword_082.png

sword_084.png

sword_086.png

sword_087.png

Luckily for us, I now know Confusion, which greatly reduces the minotaur's effectiveness. I and Irenaeus fire arrows while the others entrench our position. The minotaur charges, but fails to kill any of our heroes. They still take a horrible beating, however, and Irenaeus casts Vigor in an attempt to help us recover. Although I am tempted to charge with the knights, I'm afraid of losing one of them while they attack unsupported. The next round the minotaur attempts to flee, and the five heroes attack him in a combined effort, crippling him first, then killing him the round after. It seems easy, but it is only because we had so many heroes, used Confusion, and injured him badly in our first attack which lowered his future attack value. In past games when I had three heroes and lacked Confusion, the minotaur usually won. Monstrous Bat gains a level with the victory, and more Aladdans wish to sign up with our armies. The threat over and 7500 gold richer, I take the group back home.

sword_088.png

sword_089.png

Crap! The merchant is now offering an 8,000gp reward for the return of his son! And there is a hint that the child is somewhere to the northwest, which likely means he is still alive! But it is now October and our search party will not survive the winter, so we'll likely need to bring them home and hope for better results in spring. Also I get a new message: "A young man named Olaf has been convicted of murder and sentenced to be executed. Although no body was found, there were two witnessess who said they saw Olaf rob the man, hit him over the head, and toss him into the river. A large number of citizens have signed a petition: 'We beseech thee, Deuce, to pardon the young Olaf who is to be executed soon. Despite the evidence produced in his trial, Olaf would never kill anyone. He is ever so kind and courteous...."

sword_090.png
20140323153250!Olaf_transparent.png

Oh Olaf, I could never be mad at you. I'll sign that pardon. "The young man Olaf is very grateful to you for freeing him. He still swears his innocence." Oh, and we get more recruits to put into our new cavalry. Unless anyone protests, I am going to have our scout force return before winter hits and they get caught in the worst of it. We can try another force in the spring thaw. This was a very strange update for me, as I anticipated the scout force to run into trouble along the way and have many an adventure. Instead, they found the one camp of goblins and beat them mostly because the goblins got cold feet and fled. We still haven't found the boy, but it seems he is still out there northwest of the camp we destroyed. Meanwhile the home team dealt with two invasions, an ambush when we went scouting to the south, and killed a minotaur threatening the area. That confusion spell is pretty good, as is our new calvary. We will huddle up for winter in the next few rounds, but afterwards I want to send out another force to look for the boy. If we have enough recruits by the thaw, I may have them form a unit of some horse archers. Who wants to be part of that second rescue effort and who wants to guard Aladda?

sword_091.png

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not dead yet? Why this must be rectified immediately! Send me out I say!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom