Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Swords and Sorcery: Sovereign Development Update: World Map

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: OlderBytes; Swords and Sorcery: Sovereign

OlderBytes's Charles-cgr has published a development update on the progress being made on Swords and Sorcery: Sovereign, the sequel to Underworld, an RPG paying homage to the early Might and Magic games. The main feature of the update is the large world map, looking pretty great:

There are 17 towns, some of which will span over several maps, 48 surface maps, underwater maps, caverns and even a few uncharted territories… Environments are, as the map suggests, very varied (mountains, forests, glaciers, desert, ocean, marshes, caverns, dungeons). Great progress has also been made on the backstory, expanding on lore elements hinted at or developed in Swords and Sorcery – Underworld (and the much older Peregrine’s Song). So far about 30 pages of backstory have been written. The character creation system is also almost functional and sets the bases for very deep, active character development (many skills and crafts!)​

Click here for the original blog post.

Thanks Dorateen, Jaesun and Charles

Dorateen

Arcane
There is so much victory in this map. When I purchased Might & Magic Book II over 20 years ago, it was largely because of the box art of this kind of detailed map, which ignites the imagination. And how awesome is it to finally place the cities we visited in Underworld, within the context of the broader world.

Sovereign, from all early indications, is shaping up to be a masterpiece.

Repressed Homosexual
Take your time to polish it up as much as possible, load it with features, make the environments big and filled with treasure, dungeons and tons of surprises. Make this a worthy successor to old school Might and Magic.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
:bounce:

Man, I really miss those old RPG maps. Between the old maps and old manuals, you'd have something to look at or think about even if you weren't playing the game. Looking forward to the sequel, Charles. :)

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Will the UI be the same?

Not entirely...

GUI_candy.jpg

This is one of the options. Some things have evolved since. There will be actual portraits. I'm still considering a more modern approach, but for now this is what I'm building on.

Pretty impressive! Will you use the same artist as last time since I really liked how he drew the babes. ;)

Yes, same artist, some new babes :)

Luzur

Good Sir
There is so much victory in this map. When I purchased Might & Magic Book II over 20 years ago, it was largely because of the box art of this kind of detailed map, which ignites the imagination. And how awesome is it to finally place the cities we visited in Underworld, within the context of the broader world.

i had the same thought: "this reminds me of those old NWC maps".

btw, mr Dev, you never considered to try and make it more like MM3?

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer

I found I have a similar point of view as octavius on the matter (I lurk the best MM thread occasionally). Going for an MM3 feel means compromising many of the tactical aspects that come from MM2 (and many of the tactical options I added to it). So I'm really not going in that direction (although it would make it more appealing, judging from the comments I've read in numerous places :()

Luzur

Good Sir

I found I have a similar point of view as octavius on the matter (I lurk the best MM thread occasionally). Going for an MM3 feel means compromising many of the tactical aspects that come from MM2 (and many of the tactical options I added to it). So I'm really not going in that direction (although it would make it more appealing, judging from the comments I've read in numerous places :()

well, i just bought your first game so i expect you to do everything in your power to keep me pleased and my money flowing.

and why not make it like this: visible and moving enemies, but with the ordinary encounter tactical screen?

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Luzur Thanks :) That is something to think about but also quite a change in gameplay. It involves kiting, which kind of implies being able to shoot as you step back, which in turn means combat is still in part done from the main screen. Also there's both a budget and aspect issue. To look decent, moving enemies in the main view would probably require animation. I have close to 200 monsters already. Animating those would be terribly costly and take a very long time. Non animated images of mobs moving around would also look very odd.

Brimruk

Educated
I really hope each of those giant monsters will actually be an in-game encounter with backstory and extreme difficulty. :bounce: I've only played the demo of the first game, and I loved it tremendously, but as soon as I get my next paycheck I will buy it, and Sovereign will be a day one purchase for sure. :) Keep up the great work Charles!

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
I really hope each of those giant monsters will actually be an in-game encounter with backstory and extreme difficulty. :bounce: I've only played the demo of the first game, and I loved it tremendously, but as soon as I get my next paycheck I will buy it, and Sovereign will be a day one purchase for sure. :) Keep up the great work Charles!

Naaan they're gonna be pushovers.

Thanks, Brimruk :)

Piety

Shitpostin'
Codex 2012 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera
Psyched. Loved the first game, and this one looks like you're thinking about it in all the right ways.

Excellent map you have there Charles.

One of the best things you can do with a map is put interesting features on there and then have those interesting features play a major role for the player once they arrive at that location.

Make sure you really develop the lore and don't just use it as mere framework for the game. It's one of the most cost efficient ways you can add appeal to a game.

Will the UI be the same?

Not entirely...

GUI_candy.jpg

This is one of the options. Some things have evolved since. There will be actual portraits. I'm still considering a more modern approach, but for now this is what I'm building on.

Pretty impressive! Will you use the same artist as last time since I really liked how he drew the babes. ;)

Yes, same artist, some new babes :)

Looks really good.
However, i'm more insterested in the logic, usability and intuitivity of the UI.
Looking forward to the demo!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom