Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Swords and Sorcery: Sovereign resurfaces, tentatively releasing in Q4

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: OlderBytes; Swords and Sorcery: Sovereign

Swords and Sorcery: Sovereign, sequel to the Might & Magic-inspired indie favorite Swords and Sorcery: Underworld from the esteemed Charles Clerc, has been in development for almost a decade. The last time we got any news about Sovereign, Steam Greenlight was still a thing. but this month it unexpectedly resurfaced. Now Charles has released a new teaser trailer for the game, which appears to showcase some of its more atypical elements, including robotic foes and Arabian Nights-themed areas. I'll post the trailer here along with Charles' development status report from earlier this month.

I annouced Sovereign almost a decade ago.

Feature creep set in. Big time.

The idea was to replicate Underworld with a surface world. But I quickly envisioned more (as my announcement post suggested already).

It needed a new magic system. With lots more spells.

New classes.

And lots of passive and active skills.

Then the event module, which worked nicely for Underworld’s scope, did not allow me to sustain something that much bigger. It was a mess. It’s nice and coherent now.

About 200 maps.

As for the main questline, let’s just say it changed a few times.

I’m working on a new video and a Steam page that I aim to activate as Iron Ruler launches. I’m thinking there might be some synergy between the two. Also it should allow for a somewhat more reliable ETA.

I’m looking at Q4 2022. But I’ve been overly optimistic before…​

As stated, Charles is aiming to release Sovereign at the end of the year. I wouldn't take that date to the bank, but regardless it's nice to know that the game isn't dead after all this time.

ChaDargo

Arcane
Trying out the first one now in preparation for this sequel. Seems interesting even if the art style is a bit wonky.

Gregz

Arcane
Trying out the first one now in preparation for this sequel. Seems interesting even if the art style is a bit wonky.

Swords and Sorcery - Underworld is a great game. I'm not an artfag, but I love the artist Charles-cgr chose.

Swords-and-Sorcery-Underworld-5.jpg

880D9E70B422703302182F8CEDFE9D168E4C6955

loose.png

underworld_gold-screenshot-1_1_2013-2_30_44-pm_cropped.png

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
While a little rough around the edges, I like the art style a lot. Based on the trailer, the whole thing exudes some kind of weird charm that I don't often find in more polished modern games.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
the art being wonky and a bit all over the place is part of the charm. you cant really say it looks like something else at least. the gameplay and design was good in the first game, i hope this will be just as fun to play

Nazrim Eldrak

Scholar
IIRC I heard in a Swords and Sorcery lets play video that the art style in the first game was created by a professional comics illustrator.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
new classes you say? More skills? :incline:

I'll try to get into Underworld again as well. Didn't get very far last time for the very reason that I was bored with my party customization options. Can't hurt to buy it again for this occasion.

:happytrollboy:

Mortmal

Arcane
the art being wonky and a bit all over the place is part of the charm. you cant really say it looks like something else at least. the gameplay and design was good in the first game, i hope this will be just as fun to play
You played latest version ? it's not wonky at all. Complete revamp from the early one, i wish kotc 2 follow that example instead of going 3D sprites.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Robotic foes are part of the Might & Magic heritage, and the series always had fun appropriating aspects of different cultures into the biome themed areas. Sovereign will fit right in.

Thats cause MM is science fantasy

Kreegans are literally aliens

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Thank you Infinitron
Grrrr..... steam only.... AGAIN!!
How so? There's still direct download for Underworld. I don't see any reason not to set it up with Sovereign.
I did deactivate the automated send though. There's a bit of a wait.
If you had Gog in mind that probably won't happen for either.

I'll try to make my next franchise more... In demand :)

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
I remember playing Underworld before the art change. I think the current style is fantastic but I'll be honest I also enjoyed the original art.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom