Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Swords and Sorcery - Underworld: Definitive Edition

Mustawd

Mustawd Thanks, Also don't think I'm ignoring your other comments. I'll get around to them but unless something game-breaking comes up I'm focusing on Sovereign for now.

No worries man. Just think of me as free and very belated QA.

Also, I got a game crashing bug.

wPkAD4j.png

I walked into a room with Sprites [ :argh:] and Centaurs. Killed like all monsters except for one and then the game crashed.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Shadow sprites are very squishy, unlike the ones in MM ;)

Aww shit... One of the monsters tried to move and a variable involved in the process wasn't declared...

Thanks for reporting it. I'll look into how it is declared and how it could possibly reach that stage before going through that process. :/

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Downloaded the demo of this.

Romped aboot a bit in sum dark dunjin, when suddenly it tells me "characters in the demo are limited to level 3"

U WOT M8 :argh:

and then just as suddenly 50 potato vanished from my paypal account :negative:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Based on Darth Roxor's opinons on this game, I wanted to give it a try as well. Downloaded the demo, checked the options, saw that my choices for controls were Bad, More Bad and Ugly. No option for custom controls.

Uninstall.exe

I'm sorry, but people being able to rebind keys to their liking has been a de facto standard of gaming for over 30 years. This recent attitude of developers not allowing this is disheartening.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
saw that my choices for controls were Bad, More Bad and Ugly. No option for custom controls.

yeah that's a bummer, especially since the control scheme (hotkeys particularly) is rather... unorthodox and takes a while to get used to

agris

Arcane
Patron
Yeah i do. That was supposed to be in a different thread.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Just finished this (had a long-ish break in the meantime).

Eh.

Ehhhhhh.

The first half, approximately up until you get to elf city, is p. good, but after that the game turns into a slog. Depending on type, every fight can be resolved in the following way:

- If it's single stronk enemy -> stunlock with rogue, then pummel him with wammos
- If it's a group of weak enemies -> arrow storm followed up by electric chain/cave-in (if even necessary)

If running out of mana, ascend, tavern, descend.

The final areas are a joke too, in each of the elemental realms you just keep fighting the exact same one encounter all the time until you bust the boss and move on. And then the final game boss is weaker than the (unweakened) elemental realm bosses. Plus, stunlock smacks him down just the same, I even forgot to use the supa reric cross that you have to assemble because zomg its so important to defeat teh evul.

meh/10

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Still enjoyable enough to more than justify cost IMO. A decent attempt by someone who clearly wants to make a good game. Looking forward to the new game.

mondblut

Arcane
I seem to be stuck at goblin town. Entered the engineer's prison cell before the final boss fight, now engineer is gone, the lab is still empty, nobody can fix transdisplacementwhatever and I cannot traverse the realm of air.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Bought this a little while back and decided to give it a shot today. I like it so far, reminds me quite a bit of Might & Magic.

I've explored the first town and everyone has reached level 2. I did the first arena battle, could maybe do the second one but at this point it's a bit tough. My only other option (besides grinding of course) is the cellar beneath the tavern, but it seems extremely dangerous at this point (my two melee fighters were killed before they could even attack). Is level 2 too low for this dungeon? I don't mind grinding a bit, as it's pretty fast, but just want to know what the average party level for the cellar should be (or if I'm missing something).

[Edit: Answering my own question] It's only the vampires that are the problem at level 2. I'm only a few 100 xp away from level 3, so I'll get to level 3 then make another attempt.

Last edited:

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The difference in power between level 2 and 3 characters is pretty huge. L3 on most pcs is enough to be able to survive every random encounter under the tavern.
There's one fixed encounter that you'll probably won't survive at that level, although it's not mandatory. But make sure to keep multiple saves - the trigger for the encounter and the encounter itself are several tiles apart without the possibility to avoid fighting once that trigger activates

newtmonkey

Arcane
Snorkack
Thanks man, that's very helpful. Right now I am just saving at the inn only, but it's useful to know that.

[Edit] You were right, reaching level 3 is huge. Also, I didn't realize that casting bless and then that armor spell would be permanent as long as you don't rest (stopping at the Inn doesn't count as resting, but completely restores your HP and SP).

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sovereign is a priority project on track for release in the coming months, hopefully.

I've been thinking about this recently and went to check for any news at all anywhere...
:negative::negative::negative::negative:

EDIT: Charles' post that I've quoted is from January 2017.
EDIT 2: Or maybe there's another thread for Sovereign here that was updated last in 2019, but still basically has little progress. (I'm excellent at searching.)

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is this worth playing?

I had a good time with it, it's basically a M&M spirited game. It's not perfect, but it had a lot of charm and passion put into it, as evidenced by things like the art overhaul, etc.
In keeping with early M&M (think I & II), some of the mechanics and items are fairly simple.
I wish I could be more detailed than that, but I completed it when it was newish and that was some time ago.
It looks like there's a free demo on Steam, so you can see for yourself if it's something you'd like.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/408400/Swords_and_Sorcery__Underworld__Definitive_Edition/

newtmonkey

Arcane
I put a few hours into this last night and really enjoyed it! It's like Might & Magic I/II combat/character development with a classic Wizardry (I-III) structure to the dungeon.

I'm now about 8 hours into the game and am quite impressed, though I don't care much for the artwork—it's definitely competently drawn, but I personally am not a fan of the comic book style.

Being a Might & Magic clone, it invites comparison with Legends of Amberland. LoA offers better exploration with a true Might & Magic-like overworld full of stuff to find, but S&S has much better encounters/combat and dungeons, which gives it the edge for me.

Contagium

Savant
Patron
I put a few hours into this last night and really enjoyed it! It's like Might & Magic I/II combat/character development with a classic Wizardry (I-III) structure to the dungeon.

I'm now about 8 hours into the game and am quite impressed, though I don't care much for the artwork—it's definitely competently drawn, but I personally am not a fan of the comic book style.

Being a Might & Magic clone, it invites comparison with Legends of Amberland. LoA offers better exploration with a true Might & Magic-like overworld full of stuff to find, but S&S has much better encounters/combat and dungeons, which gives it the edge for me.

Was really hoping there'd be more news about the sequel, "Sovereign", but it seems like it's stalled...

jungl

Augur
All these indie developers either go back to their day jobs they hate or become chad kings like the stardew valley guy and make millions. There is no in between.

newtmonkey

Arcane
I finished this just now!

Overall, I really enjoyed it. While it's a bit short at 15 hours, it also ended just as the structure began to feel routine—having said that, I liked how the final few areas were more focused on simple puzzles than combat. It was a nice change of pace as the game wound down.

Even though the game plays more like the first two Might & Magic games, I felt that the dungeon design was more influenced by the classic Wizardry games—specifically Wizardry V. I enjoyed the unique encounters and simple puzzles. I really enjoyed exploring the dungeon in this game, as each level had its own theme with unique encounters and simple puzzles to solve.

Great game! I know the sequel has been somewhat in limbo for some time, but I hope it will eventually see release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom