Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

Venser

Erudite
Finally received SS1 from Limited Run Games. The foiled box looks awesome. The manual features new interviews with some of the original devs, composer and the voice of SHODAN- Terri Brosius.

bDeuMf4.jpg

eMB5AeX.jpg

Hu3LKcf.jpg

passerby

Arcane
Not sure if blue & red lighting is improvement over usual teal & orange.

How about mostly white lighting with delicate tints and strongly colored ones only when necessary ?

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
The music is terrible and it is very disappointing that five years after the annoucement we're still waiting for the actual game. The trailer looks okayish, but I'm not sure whether a remake which stays very close to the original game will be enjoyable in 2022 (or whever they plan to release it). At long time has passed since 1994 and SS1's level design feels incredibly out of place today. Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to this. We need more shock games and any contributions are welcome.

ekrolo2

Learned
Decent enough demo... Is what I would say if the thing didn't crash on me just before I was done with the floor and made all my accomplished progress non-existent.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/2858271

June Update

Welcome back Hackers,

We were all very busy this month providing support for the Alpha Demo as well as taking part in a number of online events. Stephen took part in a number of live interviews you can check out here if you missed them.

Guerilla Collective:

9678f1e2879d56f3f665398de49c6eac_original.png

Watch Interview Here

Gamestar:

7cc24be35f3d37d1b6bb7ad0bed23e96_original.png

Watch Interview Here

Stephen was also a special guest on Matt McMuscles’ show where they discussed first-person shooters, the history of Nightdive, Chex Quest, Doom Eternal, and much more for over 2 hours! Be sure to grab a cold drink and some snacks before starting this one!

2f67ef031e1e5749243c11ab5ad9bcb8_original.png

Watch Matt McMuscles’ Here

On to System Shock!
Enemies
This month we focused almost exclusively on Enemies! All of the modeling, rigging and animations are mostly complete. Textures and FX are being worked on before implementation and finally any Polish work that needs to be done.

Here are just a few that we’d like to share!

Virus Mutant

We stayed very close to the original design with the biggest difference being that it plucks the puss-filled sacs from its chest before throwing them towards you. When you watch the video pay attention to the liquid swirling around inside his growths.

3f0b03faad6789cf22f69bad4c2a80b2_original.gif

7d3b66d78de80747f33448c9af9cc5bb_h264_base.jpg

Mantis Assassin

This enemy almost made it into the Alpha demo but we ran out of time before we could implement him. We loved the assassin so much that we decided to create a melee only variant with his arms replaced by mantis-like claws that can attack the player from close to mid-range. These guys like to lurk in dark corners awaiting the Hacker as they have difficulty closing distances.

e7f571f2ec921f5b4ee95abbe26558af_original.gif

b7022f98f327415b7f452b48873a15d5_h264_base.jpg

Shock-Bot

We upgraded the Shock Bot to look as though they were designed for military or security applications. Once the body is destroyed the head section will detach into a flying drone that will continue to hunt you down. These will replace the Flier-Bot from the original.

5046dcc564656f7477f2cc5ad692d672_original.gif

2bc3405566c41ea4864450b7b8514191_h264_base.jpg

A Peek of What is to Come
This month, we thought it would be interesting to show the work in progress of the Reactor level. We would also like to welcome back Robert Simon to the project!

Here is an in-progress Reactor hallway that we are using to test set designing.

1caf39ae8891e6dd53f7becc089f9f7e_original.png

Reactor WIP
Now here is the original to compare the aesthetics.

16a5b86d33b015667ee0d0d1fd98dbf0_original.PNG

This is where larger props are conceived, for example, the on-rail crane and another computer console.

d90534539e1ecb54235d60edc9de3134_original.jpg

Then Robert goes in and paints over the space to imagine the props in the Reactor hallway.

b62f127e1159436dc17022957510926a_original.jpg

84b42ee110f9da280fd753dfdaf2ae0e_original.jpg

Reactor WIP Paint Over
Here is a closer look at details that are being tested in the level.

ce7c6727fd7282761cf895c23b40f828_original.jpg

c482e7df1fd6b37e41cc727998c41188_original.jpg

5fa53f85bfab3b8ad3a0fd8038656594_original.jpg

77b46cc13d04db4d7443e8e9d9c988ea_original.jpg

Maybe soon you will be able to experience it first hand!

Demo
Have you had the chance to play the updated demo? Make sure to access your backer alpha key through Backerkit if you have not yet! As long as you have Steam selected for the platform, you will get access to the demo on Steam (this can always be updated before we close out surveys).

Be sure to follow us on:

Nightdive Twitter

System Shock Twitter

Nightdive Facebook

Nightdive Discord

Nightdive Instagram

See you next time!

e52b8631b037b554493a24249daba6e4_original.gif

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So... I just finished Prey and was thinking of giving SS1 or SS2 a go, but then I see this remake isn't vaporware. You guys have been following this, so should I wait?

I'm not much of a replayer, so I won't play both the original and the remake, that's for sure. Would it be a good idea to play SS2 before the SS1 remake? SS1 seems more interesting to me due to the level design, as I hear.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
So... I just finished Prey and was thinking of giving SS1 or SS2 a go, but then I see this remake isn't vaporware. You guys have been following this, so should I wait?

I'm not much of a replayer, so I won't play both the original and the remake, that's for sure. Would it be a good idea to play SS2 before the SS1 remake? SS1 seems more interesting to me due to the level design, as I hear.
You should play the original, it has a bit of an awkward control scheme but it's hard to put down once you wrap your mind around it.
Playing more recent builds of the demo I've warmed up to the remake but I'm still under the belief this is solely for Bioshock/SS2 people who think the original is too visually dated/archaic to play.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You should play the original, it has a bit of an awkward control scheme but it's hard to put down once you wrap your mind around it..

The enhanced edition has a much improved control scheme (and native executable, resolutions, etc), though i think the default key bindings aren't that great so you'll want to spend some time configuring them. But essentially you get an Arx Fatalis-like scheme where you can use a key to toggle between "UI mode" and "navigation mode" that works like any other first person game released the last two decades.

schru

Arcane
The original music is also essential to the experience. If NightDive doesn't use a faithful rendition at least as an alternative option, it's not System Shock. The fact that they've decided to go with some more subdued and nondescript sound track instead is already a sign that they don't really get the style and personality of the game. The original had enough creepy moments, but one of its defining features was the rapid, colourful, somewhat imbalanced electronic music imitating various machine and computer noises, suggesting a horror based more on the shock and weird-grotesque factors rather than slow build-ups, isolation, eeriness, and other more generic characteristics. Sounds best on a Roland SC-55, but the more recently released digital Sound Canvas VA also does the job well.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The original music is also essential to the experience. If NightDive doesn't use a faithful rendition at least as an alternative option, it's not System Shock. The fact that they've decided to go with some more subdued and nondescript sound track instead is already a sign that they don't really get the style and personality of the game.
They're currently using the original soundtrack and voice acting as a placeholder, so they'd be quite retarded not to include it as an option if there's no legal hurdle. Otherwise, mods will fix it.

But in the last interview the designer said they were going to add new voice overs with new writing, so I don't know how that would work with the original voices.

schru

Arcane
They're currently using the original soundtrack and voice acting as a placeholder, so they'd be quite retarded not to include it as an option if there's no legal hurdle. Otherwise, mods will fix it.

But in the last interview the designer said they were going to add new voice overs with new writing, so I don't know how that would work with the original voices.
That's understandable. So long as they don't try to insert too much new writing or make it too generic and cinematic, it should be fine.

The original music was nice but not well suited to play continuously during gameplay, imho.
I can see how some might find it vexing over time, but given when the game was released, it has a remarkably complex dynamic music system. There are so many subtle additions to the main patterns, localized ambients, and the transitions between levels of action work very well.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Interview with S-Kicker, from the well known story of how he obtained SS IP from the insurance company, and the struggle of SS remake. AFAIK this interview was conducted last year or something, that time when you actually could meet person in real life.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/2903458

July Update

July flew by Hackers, but we haven’t forgotten about you!

CONTENT WARNING, this update is gory!

We’ve been exceptionally busy working on a few of the last remaining features which include one of my favorites, DISMEMBERMENT!

Yes, the gore system is finally going in and we couldn’t be more excited to show off our progress. Dismemberment will amplify the power of the weapons and take combat to new heights of horror.

Swin, the newest recruit to the Shock team has been busy creating new blood particles and fx while chopping up and sculpting the bits of skin and sinew that make up the guts of our organic enemies.

Here are just some of the individual pieces you’ll be able to dismember from our humanoid mutant.

e0e413a8e9b7e1e559f6b26badf8d578_original.png

The pieces that are left over will be treated as physics objects that will react to additional gun-fire and explosions.

Putting that all together gives us a wonderful sneak peek into our custom made dismemberment system.

This update is short, but we have some additional treats to share!

This afternoon at 3pm PST/6pm EST Swin will be live streaming on the Nightdive Twitch channel some of the sculpting and development of the dismemberment system, so stop by and hang out!

232ca2bbfeb068b352093973daeecc13_original.png

https://www.twitch.tv/nightdivestudios

Also, the Noclip documentary series just released an interview with Stephen Kick, CEO of Nightdive Studios. If you wanted a more in-depth look into how and why the System Shock Remake was started, funded, then delayed, then rebooted, look no further.

533810c9ddda062e095ee790488cf1f0_original.jpg

Noclip: https://youtu.be/pE97vZLC_fA

Also, our friend Mandalore released this retrospective look and review of System Shock: Enhanced Edition just this morning! He also takes a look at the Alpha demo of the remake and gives us some insightful critique and suggestions on how to improve the experience? Do you agree? Please let us know what you think on our Discord server.

8202e6d6f254bc66644afce3f1270806_original.png

Mandalore Gaming: https://youtu.be/OnOd7srBk-g

Also, an update for System Shock: Enhanced Edition drops today!

We fixed a bug where you couldn’t write custom messages on the map, oops! :O

Finally, GOG is offering a special promo on both Shock and Shock 2 today, so if you haven’t had a chance to play either one there isn’t a better time to pick them up!

1c63527d9a1dffaeeeace75b08b0efb6_original.png

Shock Sale: https://af.gog.com/promo/system_shock?as=1649904300

Be sure to follow us on:

Nightdive Twitter

System Shock Twitter

Nightdive Facebook

Nightdive Discord

Nightdive Instagram

See you next time!

e52b8631b037b554493a24249daba6e4_original.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
So... what's wrong with a little gore in a sci-fi horror game?

It's quite à propos with the theme to bash that head in even when it's down just to make sure it's truly dead and to vent some stress.

Though I agree that the rifle shotting video is wayy over the top and should be toned down.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Well System Shock was considered an horror game at the time... System Shock 2 was considered one of the most scary game ever made. Even Doom (1993) was considered a scary game. Now we have Doom Eternal, a gay coloured Mario-clone "spiritual" successor of Doom, and Bioshock Infinite, a spiritual succesor of System Shock.... How things are changed during the years.

Curratum

Well System Shock was considered an horror game at the time... System Shock 2 was considered one of the most scary game ever made. Even Doom (1993) was considered a scary game. Now we have Doom Eternal, a gay coloured Mario-clone "spiritual" successor of Doom, and Bioshock Infinite, a spiritual succesor of System Shock.... How things are changed during the years.

The first time I saw Doom, I was scared shitless. Had only played Wolfenstein 3D, which was tense enough on high difficulties. And then in Doom there was light and deep dark and things growled and grunted from the dark and shuffled about... I thought it was seriously fucking scary.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, Doom 3's tone is closer to Doom 1's than people act like. Especially the shareware episode, which is what everyone and their mother played.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom