Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

JDR13

Arcane
Played the new demo. Most of the differences from the previous demo are pretty subtle, but I like it overall. The atmosphere is really good. Normal difficulty seems a tad on the easy side. You can gib the mutants now if you hit them enough.

It's still too fucking dark though, and there's no option to adjust the brightness or gamma. Just give us a damn flashlight right from the start.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/3430402

February Update

Welcome back Hackers,

We will be closing pre-orders for physical merchandise at the end of March. We know it’s been a long time since we opened backerkit so please log in to your account and verify your address and payment method. We will be shipping all physical merchandise by end of the year, so you will want to make sure you are ready to go!

As everything is in production we’ll be sharing photos as we get ready to start shipping. We’re very pleased with the quality of all the physical products and we hope that you’re satisfied as well. Here are some previews of the final and in-progress physical merch! Some of this we’ve shared with you, some of it is new.

The Big Box is heavy-duty, comparable in size, and build quality to the Id Anthology Collection. There is a foil treatment over the entire surface with spot UV on the logo elements.

1780e02f2e067a96f8fda538e093c6b8_h264_high.jpg
24dc2d86fe5e69be97c956a855d4a996_original.png
c740f275177757d33f77a182934b5d0e_original.png
f707542109ec2b79f0ec831b2b941f79_original.png
f6a1367c42d31aec51c44ab79763e0c9_original.png

The Steel Case interior is designed to look like a Cyborg’s eye socket and the disc itself will resemble a glass lens implant. The idea is that when the disc is removed it’ll be like popping out the implant leaving just the loose wire dangling in the empty socket!

66616642200669e9e3eee54b6ab561cf_original.jpg
1b62119aa5c6b5759a4e59e3f993a4fc_original.png
30832c62840a2cd640393ccf1c1bd893_original.png

The manual is weighing in at a whopping 80+ pages and will include history on TriOptimum’s corporate ascension, a workplace NDA, a breakdown of your new neural interface, a personality test, and a close look at the origin of SHODAN.

Also included will be a TriOptimum enamel pin, patch, business card, art print, metal figurines of both the Mantis Assassin and Cyborg Elite, and a poster.
f3391738cd17aa15dc0c19803a8df889_original.png

The two figures will be in scale with the Humanoid Mutant figurine that came with the Enhanced Edition Big Box.

ee1515f184752ec700f89a5a3dc58432_original.png

If you’d like any additional add-ons such as shirts, pins, or additional copies of the game, now is the time to add them.

The artbook will ship after the game launches as we have over 3,000 pieces of art to go through! It’s turning into an amazing collection that will represent the artistic journey our team explored over the last few years.

About Your Backer Survey
Now that we are nearing the close of backerkit, here is a reminder of how to make sure your survey is up to date!

First visit:

https://system-shock.backerkit.com/

Then input your email to retrieve your survey again:

138a518ac9f707ea2cbb311b868a07a7_original.PNG

Click “Edit Your Order”

36f8baf1e9155d1ec25c1b83d50d19fa_original.png

At this point be sure to check that your shipping address and payment info are up to date:

7c635572b7b3bc8134cc5fa1f3980af0_original.png

While updating your survey you will also be provided the option to include other add ons (eg. shirts, pins, higher tiers), and for reference here is the size chart:

55b05fe1d4fab7e6049c87068d3c7722_original.png

Screenshot Previews
40f368b840ee0bdb838d35d9892baf7f_original.png
215439320298d8c59bd32482cc8544f7_original.png
deab3160bef150f6cc25c0b7e9598d12_original.png
f87abf17ee661e5d35a07c7445725516_original.png
81e714152e984e4ae169f0b8dec0a3e6_original.png
615875398f37dc0ba06bb07c9e8552a3_original.png
f59e021e2cefb4c7cba3194e2a0e6ab1_original.png
1f70bf466759923a984ad4e94b698553_original.png
c471d97daef0be36559ad6ec1d59a837_original.jpg
a8e6f2de804335cf1b7b25664af6bb02_original.jpg
1364aa01c1f832be6d8b0bec32966ad0_original.png
f236fe1999da8415a51f7e41e740d203_original.jpg

FAQ
We have compiled a FAQ for you all with the help of community moderator CreamyElephant!

Q: What is the current state of the game?

A: Possibly one of the most common questions we receive is from people wanting to know where the game stands right now in terms of its development. At the time of writing, it’s in a position where the game can essentially be finished from beginning to end! What we are currently focusing on is polishing up the levels, and incorporating additional art, animations, and creating a ton of secondary assets that were once far lower in priority. Keep in mind these all add up, and certain things are going to take far higher priority than others. So while something may seem unfinished or lacking in features, chances are it just hasn’t been a focus for the team at this moment. Some examples of this would be weapon collision with the level geometry, or the basic graphics options menu. Things like this will of course see another pass before the game is released.

Q: Why do we not see closer looks at some of the later levels, enemies, weapons, etc?

A: While we have occasionally shown off screenshots from other parts of the game in our previous Kickstarter updates, we also want to keep a lot of surprises in store, too! We realize it’s a remake of a game that many veteran Shock fans will have played already, but we feel it’s important to provide a fresh experience, both for those people, as well as those who have chosen to make the System Shock remake their first time exploring Citadel station.

There has at times been this misconception that if we don’t show something it’s because it hasn’t been made or that it’s been removed from the game. Nothing could be further from the truth...

Q: Is System Shock still coming to Xbox and PlayStation platforms?

A: Yes! The game is still very much planned to release on Xbox and PlayStation. It’s important to keep in mind that since development began, a whole new generation of consoles have been released, and between the various iterations of each console, there’s a total of 8 platforms to cater for. We also plan to make the most of each platform, such as utilizing some of the unique controller features found on PS4 and PS5. As far as a demo is concerned, we would still very much like to make this happen - but we’ve nothing further to share about that at this time.

Q: How many people are even working on the game?

A: It’s been frequently assumed that the team working on System Shock is far bigger than it really is. Right now, we have around 15 or so people working on the game. It’s a very small team (even smaller than the team who worked on the original game!) and given the scope and ambition of the project, we’re all keeping our heads down and working extremely hard to deliver a game you deserve, and one we can be proud of.

I would also like to take this opportunity to clear up a misunderstanding we’ve seen crop up from time to time. Our KEX team who work on remastering older titles is completely separate from our System Shock development team. There may occasionally be a bit of overlap with some producer roles, but the core KEX and System Shock development teams are independent. Please understand that any new remaster that releases, such as Quake or PowerSlave, is not interfering with the development of System Shock.

Q: Are you still planning on a closed beta for the game?

A: Absolutely! As was offered in the initial pitch for the Kickstarter campaign, backers who pledged $50 or more will have access to a closed beta for the game. More details on this coming soon.

Q: What’s going on with System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition and VR?

A: System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition is coming along, and the goal is to still release it during the same window as the System Shock remake. Some have speculated that SS2:EE is holding up the release of the remake. This is inaccurate and untrue. Both games are still very much in development. SS2:EE will still be offered to those who preorder the System Shock remake.

With regards to SS2:VR, it is understandably a lower priority for us right now, and being built on top of SS2:EE means that the version must take precedence. We’re really excited to share more about SS2:VR when the time is right.

Q: When can we expect a release date for System Shock?

A: Okay, we hear you loud and clear. Despite what you may have read on other websites and comments, we have never set a specific release date. At the same time, we recognize that previous estimations of a release window have not been met, we hear the frustration, and quite honestly we do not wish to repeat this again. We also recognize the game has been in development for a long time and we have Kickstarter backers who want to play the game they entrusted us to make. We want it done right. Rest assured, there is nothing to suggest the game won’t release. It is coming, the game will be released, and we feel those who have been patiently waiting will be rewarded with a game they can be satisfied with.

Studio News
We are excited to announce that PowerSlave Exhumed is now available!

PowerSlave: Exhumed is a KEX Engine port of the classic console game perfectly blending both the PlayStation & Saturn version.

959edb4bbb85f6f761be6f37967a48e1_original.jpg

Available on:

Steam

GOG

Switch

Sony

Xbox

Be sure to follow us on:

Nightdive Twitter

System Shock Twitter

Nightdive Facebook

Nightdive Discord

Nightdive Instagram

See you next time!

e52b8631b037b554493a24249daba6e4_original.gif

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

randir14

Augur
These mother fuckers were saying the same "it can be completed from beginning to end, we're just polishing the levels" over a year ago.

Btan0

Literate
Some of the screenshots look pretty good compared to the last batch, but the pitch black shadowing is still awful. I'm starting to wonder if ambient occlusion is exacerbating darkened corners and crevices in the level geometry too much.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Some of the screenshots look pretty good compared to the last batch, but the pitch black shadowing is still awful. I'm starting to wonder if ambient occlusion is exacerbating darkened corners and crevices in the level geometry too much.

You need to play it with the appropriate environment lighting

9RF3Dsl.png

I do not remember having any issues with the lighting in the last demo (or one of the last demos anyway) aside from a bug near a window making the sun show through some walls.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh! This thing still exists, is it a remake or a re-imagination that "improves" and "modernizes" the original?
They royally screwed up at the beginning by changing too many things (re-imagining) and had to scrap it all and go back to just "remaking" it after all the backlash.

It wasn't really because of any backlash. It was because the project spiraled out of scope and they realized they wouldn't have finished it.

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Not the best way to convince a faggot like me, but I snapped out of it anyway when I saw the $200 price tag. No thank you, Nightdive.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Not the best way to convince a faggot like me, but I snapped out of it anyway when I saw the $200 price tag. No thank you, Nightdive.

Do you have System Shock (CD Enhanced or vanilla) in hard copy?

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Bro, I have almost all of Looking Glass's catalog *except* for SS1 (Thief 1+Gold+2, SS2, both Underworlds, Terra Nova, even the Flight Unlimited games). If I am going to buy SS1 it'll be the CD version, and I've never found a listing on eBay that wasn't too expensive for me.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Bro, I have almost all of Looking Glass's catalog *except* for SS1 (Thief 1+Gold+2, SS2, both Underworlds, Terra Nova, even the Flight Unlimited games). If I am going to buy SS1 it'll be the CD version, and I've never found a listing on eBay that wasn't too expensive for me.

Yeah I'd save up to buy that first rather than this pale imitation, no matter how pretty the big box is.

Btan0

Literate
2 demos actually. I enjoyed the first demo the most, which was supposed to be the original direction of the remake before they switched engines and began mucking about. Everything was much cleaner and the art direction wasn't so savage, in my opinion.

toughasnails

It wasn't really because of any backlash. It was because the project spiraled out of scope and they realized they wouldn't have finished it.
They probably weren't helped by the fact that they were preceded by a series of AAA immersive sims that underperformed financially (Mankind Divided, Dishonored 2, Prey) so they likely had a hard time securing financing of another ambitious immersive sim.

JDR13

Arcane
2 demos actually. I enjoyed the first demo the most, which was supposed to be the original direction of the remake before they switched engines and began mucking about. Everything was much cleaner and the art direction wasn't so savage, in my opinion.

There's been more than 2 demos if you count the various updates. Imo, it's improved since the beginning.

I think it gets released towards the end of the year, but it's probably gonna get log jammed between Starfield, STALKER 2, Atomic Heart, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom