Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really don't buy that. Maybe for a completely brand new player they'll spend more time being lost, but those animations slow the pacing down a huge amount.

Even if they know where to go exactly, different players would still do it in different ways, resulting in a variation of time between them reaching their goal. That variation is going to be way more than the animations in the game, not just people who don't know where to go. Humans aren't machines to always find the most optimal path from point A to point B (sometimes even when said path is straight ahead). And they also tend to be distracted - a lot. People will stop look around the environment, etc (in both games).

Note that i'm not trying to excuse the animations (even though personally i don't care much about them either way), i'm just saying that in the grand scheme of things they make zero practical difference. I get that you dislike them and since they have been criticized by others even outside RPGCodex i think that Nightdive should add an option to disable them for those who don't like them, but at the same time i think your dislike for them makes you overestimate the impact they have on the game.

And i'm writing this as someone who dislikes those pointless wastes of time - some time ago i even made some "slides" on how Dragon Age: Inquisition's overall design (here is an explicit link, since the new theme make inline links look exactly the same as text) wastes the player's time. But i never got that from the System Shock Demo.

Katana1000S

Angrier OtherSide Refugee
Ha Ha, who honestly knows my friend? probably not even the producers? I suspect this is a side project for them away from day jobs and may take some yet, possibly years, it looks good and made with passion from old original game so far, but this is perhaps just another tease ... Its probably still a very long way from release, so hope I'm wrong about this :)

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Humans aren't machines to always find the most optimal path from point A to point B (sometimes even when said path is straight ahead)
:what:

Normies are disgusting. Also as far as feedback was concerned, yeah I honestly didn't like that part of the combat either. Most of the weapons felt gutless to me. Maybe it's just nostalgia and new thing bad, but the various sounds from the original weapons felt more satisfying. Compare the dartgun thwap to the pistol's pop and then something like the rail gun's earraping sound when you fire it.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Out of curiosity, i decided to check out how the game looks on a CRT, so i connected an unused one i have around with a DisplayPort-to-VGA adaptor i bought...

yubZS1h.jpg

...and it looks fine, aside from a minor overlap in the HUD. I expected it to stretch but it looks like they align the UI elements to the corners instead (though i wonder how it'd look on one of those 32:9 monitors :-P). The resolution needs to be at least 1024x768 though, otherwise the text is unreadable.

Sadly the adapter i got seems to not be that good and doesn't support above 85Hz refresh rate, which is a shame since the monitor can do 120Hz.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Game looks good but JFC did you take that picture with a Nokia 3110? :D

Not as old as 3110, but my phone is a bit old too :-P. But 90% of my use for it is as an ebook reader or online article reader, so i don't really care that much. I'll probably replace it at some point though but as i don't really want to bother with the increasingly locked down Android phones, i am looking into Linux phones and i'm waiting for Pine64's "pro" prone which is supposed to have not-awful specs - i just checked and they made it available. Might actually buy it after a few months or so.

toughasnails

I really can't read much of anything on my phone's screen without my eyes tiring, I can't imagine reading ebooks or even longer articles that way. (happily I can use my Kobo for long articles, it's web browser is useless but you can use Pocket to transfer articles to Kobo and read them like ebooks).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/3499688

July Update​

Welcome back hackers,

Mostly images for this update as we are getting ready for Gamescom! If you are in the area, please consider coming to see us at the Prime Matter booth.

More info on Gamescom here:

https://www.gamescom.global/en/gamescom

With the Backer Beta around the corner, why not a peek at Delta Grove:

3a259b96a375c05a352b0f6ba7e6d34e_original.png

4cc449bb5708ed4419925808468adb14_original.png

fc521d384bb3adf7562ff6b1c477619f_original.png

e38c1ec1e6485aef8bec3b77337f2e13_original.png

762281d8a8bd3db0cb4c3fe14d42eda8_original.png

Be sure to follow us on:

Nightdive Twitter

System Shock Twitter

Nightdive Facebook

Nightdive Discord

Nightdive Instagram

See you next time!

75b91bc88520595ecee3ede4024308ec_original.gif

MuffinBun

Educated
One of the few games I'm looking forward to. Unlike in the original I get to see my guns in this one, and they look pretty cool. These are the little things that make me pick up a game.

DesolationStone

Educated
Release date? Jesus there is the risk that it will released after the Steam Edition of Dwarf Fortress and they opened the pre-order more than a year ago!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom