Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

randir14

Augur
The final battle with Shodan has leaked

This looks quite convincing but hopefully it's fake. Besides, isn't the ending song stolen from the classic Hardware movie?
It's not fake, the version they showed at Gamescom was the full game. I don't know how someone managed to get to the end though.

I played it last year and it became one of my favorite games, but man that interface is an annoyance even with the enhanced controls.
You gotta get good with the original controls if you wanna be a real hacker.

I don't know why you'd complain about cyberspace if you were playing with mouselook, though. Cyberspace is plenty fun with the enhanced controls in my opinion. It just sucks in the original DOS version because you have to maneuver with the keyboard which is terrible. The remake's cyberspace is going to be shit because they're taking out the best part, the music.

If they are not using the original's music, they might as well use this for the cyberspace, it'd be a good fit:

LudensCogitet

Learned
I played it last year and it became one of my favorite games, but man that interface is an annoyance even with the enhanced controls.
You gotta get good with the original controls if you wanna be a real hacker.

I don't know why you'd complain about cyberspace if you were playing with mouselook, though. Cyberspace is plenty fun with the enhanced controls in my opinion. It just sucks in the original DOS version because you have to maneuver with the keyboard which is terrible. The remake's cyberspace is going to be shit because they're taking out the best part, the music.

If they are not using the original's music, they might as well use this for the cyberspace, it'd be a good fit:

Oh shit. The new FMV cutscenes look lit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/3599026

September Update​

Welcome back hackers,

Before we get started - if you’re at PAX this week please stop by our booth and say hello!

On to the update…

We have returned from Gamescom and there is much to share!

We arrived in Cologne, Germany a day before the show and met up with our PLAION contacts to view the System Shock booth in the main consumer hall.

038aa70a2796bdc56cf9f07ec6984865_original.jpg

It was truly a wonderful sight to see! There was a neon TriOptimum sign, a dozen or so stations set up with the Gamescom demo already running, a life-size prop of the Sparqbeam, an electronic bust of SHODAN, and of course SHODAN herself walking the floor.

612539a05c5661824d47d1b58589940e_original.jpg

Larry, our head of Business Development poses with the SHODAN bust and an original copy of System Shock.

project video thumbnail

PLAY
4820633da5e84182b4af78c2a85f6187_original.jpg

1:1 scale prop of the Sparqbeam lovingly crafted by Volpin Props. You can even turn the mode switch dial and the LEDs will change color, just like in the game. If you fire too rapidly the gun will “overheat” and flash red.

7d32e1a3d035d8e9af70743377840a2d_original.jpg

Here is another shot of the stations before the event began. The Gamescom Demo featured the intro sequence and first level of the game and gave the player 20 minutes to explore as much as they could. We had to implement a time limit so we could cycle in as many players as possible.

project video thumbnail

PLAY
f57167c233c0d2279596603c9f88a404_original.jpg

Every day the line stretched around the booth waiting to play System Shock!

Lightning Cosplay, along with our publisher PLAION and Prime Matter, were able to make our digital goddess SHODAN come to life.

d1dc3569a72dff1bcbd8bb2e60701f8d_original.png

cb5c41c70c2b05f8a4a7452a2cf93ee8_original.png

You can check out their other work here: https://www.lightningcosplay.com/

System Shock was nominated for multiple awards, including Best Action Game, Most Wanted PC Game, and helped PLAION win Best Lineup.

e7da33e9581bf11b0cc97cb4b0f2a4e0_original.png

366a1ed93bba6c4eab3fda2af5aa0e89_original.png

bfee94a68af9e688539735f38df028d8_original.png

For the majority of the show we met with the press and after they played the game we conducted interviews. The reception was overwhelmingly positive and when we returned home we were greeted with their coverage:

254a6da2e32e5f4c64f07a1851d895e3_original.png

d30ced638196468397755c000aeeeb6c_original.png

Read more here: https://www.vg247.com/system-shock-remake-worth-the-wait

a6ebb2b53e88a99e921163d32176fff9_original.jpg

62c61ff843d5d9d59d774d3ab2947592_original.png

Read more here: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/sy...to-be-a-faithful-remake-of-the-sci-fi-classic

2b6bced8d4cd35665fb1ea9a318ad05d_original.jpg

Read more here: https://www.truetrophies.com/n21796/system-shock-2022-gameplay-impressions

and here is a fresh look of what is to come:

280745f1e7b7778852b97d566dd7db18_original.png

44c9f9ea5b7bf9e855ca886a92385900_original.png

00e11c4be194e08ab4c009798c6973ab_original.png

7e450fc6b4b6ba6fb0ad0868187a4928_original.png

e4fd461f344e14dde9074b502c3a09e8_original.png

9ae8ab37af716f1ec50bc729d9cf313e_original.png

6359f063a2fe4d08ee34cd85151693cb_original.png

781469b59c50a4024fd897b3c3cadf18_original.png

3a8b61dc707651c6dfeb2437ee458ab8_original.png

19560777d8dc432267646e35968682fe_original.png

Where do we go from here?​

We’re in the final stage of fine-tuning and polishing and we’re excited to finally release the game we envisioned all those years ago. Currently, we’re planning the backer beta as we want you to be the first to play the game. During that time we’ll most likely be releasing an updated demo on Steam. After we go through the feedback and a final round of testing we’ll be ready for launch. When exactly will that be?

When it’s done.

Trust me, I’m tired of saying it as much as you’re tired of hearing it, but the reality is that we’ve spent so much time crafting the game we all hoped this would be and we’re not going to make any compromises when we’re this close to being done. At the end of our interviews, we were asked, “Is there anything else you want to say?” Our answer was this:

Our commitment is to our backers - they’ve been patient and understanding as we’ve gone through this journey and as we made decisions to restart development, or change course, or even take a step back to evaluate what we were doing, it was all in service to the backers. We couldn’t have made this game without you and it’s our only hope that the finished game far exceeds your expectations.

Until next time -

The System Shock Team

Be sure to follow us on:

Nightdive Twitter

System Shock Twitter

Nightdive Facebook

Nightdive Discord

Nightdive Instagram

See you next time!

84d3a8ba98649ea36bae24aba13fd7a2_original.gif

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Huh, looks like they've gone with the Japanese box art for the game as inspiration for the setting of this fight. That's actually a pretty cool take on it. Though clearly that is not the finished product, it is definitely missing like 95% of the sound effects. Not sure if people actually remember just how meh the original fight with SHODAN is in SS1 (you just float there and spamfire at the cybercarrot, also it actually has NO sound effects at all lol) if they think this looks worse, being a contrarian doomsayer for the sake of being a contrarian doomsayer is pretty boring.
Mxck2ze.jpg

Last edited:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Huh, looks like they've gone with the Japanese box art for the game as inspiration for the setting of this fight. That's actually a pretty cool take on it. Though clearly that is not the finished product, it is definitely missing like 95% of the sound effects. Not sure if people actually remember just how meh the original fight with SHODAN is in SS1 (you just float there and spamfire at the cybercarrot, also it actually has NO sound effects at all lol) if they think this looks worse, being a contrarian doomsayer for the sake of being a contrarian doomsayer is pretty boring.

I suppose generic_fps_bossbattle_4556123 is much easier for galaxy-brained zoomies to handle than being contextually logical.

randir14

Augur
The Steam page was updated to say the release date is March 2023. But they've given so many false timeframes and bullshit about "we're in the final stages of polishing" that I don't believe it.

Katana1000S

Angrier OtherSide Refugee
Same, couldnt care less anymore, the flourescent color gimmick looks terrible IMHO too.

Trithne

Erudite
"Not knowing what an item is for immediately makes looting a chore".

This is a byproduct of modern games, where you're expected to hoover up every piece of shit you see into a bottomless well of inventory to be sold to a vendor for a pittance or combined with other trash to somehow MacGuyver a plasma gun into existence, rather than looking at the item in the context of the game world and thinking "how would a stethoscope help me?"

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Looks p. bad, goofy at times. Who's this for? Fifty-year old fans of the original?

Fuck me. If they just took SS1 as an inspiration and made a brand new SF-cyberpunk-horror-RPGlite game it'd sell like hot cakes. This shit is utterly uncompetitive in a day and age where people have experienced ultra-atmospheric stuff like Dead Space, Bioshock, Stalker or Metro.

Here the goofy robots and zombies and many of the environments that are positively early-1990s will make everyone laugh. Too bad.

AndyS

Augur
It never fails to baffle me how illiterate nerd reviewers are. He's never played the original even though it's a first rank classic. Yes, there are many many video games that have been released, but he couldn't take a few hours to at least check out the original enough to be informed about what the remake is doing differently? It really isn't that hard. Imagine a film reviewer saying something like "I've never watched the original Ben Hur, but I can tell from its remake how influential it truly was..."

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Fuck me. If they just took SS1 as an inspiration and made a brand new SF-cyberpunk-horror-RPGlite game it'd sell like hot cakes. This shit is utterly uncompetitive in a day and age where people have experienced ultra-atmospheric stuff like Dead Space, Bioshock, Stalker or Metro.
There is little of atmospheric in linear corridor shooter like Dead Space, Bioshock or Metro. SS1 original is already superior to these only because it is not a linear corridor shooter. People need just to realize that SS1 is a fundamental different game from corridor shooters like Dead Space, Bioshock or Metro.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
There is little of atmospheric in linear corridor shooter like Dead Space, Bioshock or Metro. SS1 original is already superior to these only because it is not a linear corridor shooter. People need just to realize that SS1 is a fundamental different game from corridor shooters like Dead Space, Bioshock or Metro.
Agree.
It is more focused on exploration. Listening to crew logs,entering cyberspace to open locked doors and access information,finding ammo and supplies in secret areas etc.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Agree.
It is more focused on exploration. Listening to crew logs,entering cyberspace to open locked doors and access information,finding ammo and supplies in secret areas etc.
Way to miss the point.

I was talking about the general vibe and feel of the game. From all the footage I've seen this remake looks and feels stiff, lame and obsolete.

It's not 1994, players now have a whole slew of experiences to compare. The games I listed aren't the same as SS1 in every single way but they share certain features - all are atmospheric, tense, sometimes horror-y SF action adventure games. And in those aspects all of them are miles ahead of this remake.

It's like shooting a modern remake of a 1950s SF movie with robots and keeping the ungainly, goofy robot design of that era (you know, a walking tin can with a lightbulb for a head), only with some spit and shine. It's ridiculous.

Lemming42

Arcane
Said it many times before but SS1 isn't a horror game. If people are getting the likes of Dead Space in their minds when they play this remake, the devs have totally fucked it up.

It'd be like remaking Half-Life but replacing the techno/industrial soundtrack with spooky creaking noises, making the player move really slow, replacing the stylised scientist and guard voice acting with "serious" performances of people sounding genuinely terrified and distraught (the SS1 remake has done with with the logs, iirc), and having the entire thing in dim lighting. That's just not what Half-Life is, it's got a strong sense of atmosphere and is occasionally quite tonally dark but it's not a survival horror game, it's a fast paced shooter tinged with a sense of humour, same for System Shock. The remake just seems to be a prolonged exercise in missing the point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom