Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment - taken over by Tencent!

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
The weapon design in SS3 looked dogshit and everything else the trailer showed was scripted sequences.

Wait, are you saying what we saw in the teaser wasn't real "pre alpha gameplay" ???

Katana1000S

Angrier OtherSide Refugee
looks good, will probably pick this up when it goes on sale
He used to be such a sweet kid.

Good God.

I have a serious stalker with Efe now :( If I did post that, wonder when? must have been in a generous mood from early times, know better now.

Efe, you have descended into new depths of creepiness now stalker boy, your behaviour is beyond shill and fan boy troll, its out for petty revenge shilling/trolling now, inc hours of going over others posts to find flaws, utterly pathetic public behaviour from you, you should be ashamed.

Just how low can you go in your fervour to favour anything from these incompetent morons?

Katana1000S

I doubt there was any real gameplay footage in Maggots video share, and we are supposed to believe this game was more than half way finished ... a claim they made well over a year ago, perhaps nearer 2 years ago, pure lies and deceptive marketing.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Fraud or not, someone will eventually recycle the assets into... something. I just hope it's a generic space shooter and not some cult franchise.

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
After OS has laid off almost their entire staff, it will be interesting if Starbreeze will still write into their audited reports that they "expect" their entire investment in SS3 to be repaid or if the language will change.

Their Q4 2019 is due on Feb 11.

Kin Corn Karn

Arcane
Developer
I doubt there was any real gameplay footage in Maggots video share, and we are supposed to believe this game was more than half way finished ... a claim they made well over a year ago, perhaps nearer 2 years ago, pure lies and deceptive marketing.

The in-game scenes showed real gameplay, we didn't even have any cut scenes. Core systems were nearly done. What we were way behind on was content.

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
Kin Corn Karn With "content", do you mean story/lore, level design, enemies, NPCs, puzzles etc.? Could they create that content with the very small team that's still left over a much longer time period than originally envisioned? (basically what Nightdive does with the SS1 remake)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Randomly peeked into OtherSide forum and found this post from ten minutes ago: https://forums.otherside-e.com/t/corporate-responsibility/10266

I was brought into a small fan project by an SS3 dev who shall go unnamed who was recently let go. This has caused an uproar in certain communities when I was called everything under the sun after I started posting progress pics of a VR SHODAN avatar while they were away on holiday and unable to offer the protection I was promised in VRchat.

Who should I contact to sort out these, clearly, glaring problems in the discord channel?

lol wth

Kin Corn Karn

Arcane
Developer
Kin Corn Karn With "content", do you mean story/lore, level design, enemies, NPCs, puzzles etc.? Could they create that content with the very small team that's still left over a much longer time period than originally envisioned? (basically what Nightdive does with the SS1 remake)

It wasn't complete enough that it could be handed off without any engineering support, and everyone on the content side is no longer with the studio.

Katana1000S

Sorry Kin Corn Karn, its appreciated about your whistle blowing of course, but as far as I can see, all you are trying to do is damage limitation for your old company and your pride, without revealing your identity ... we all know who you really are.

Underworld Ascendant was pure SHIT and SS3 by you and your old colleagues was shaping up to be even worse SHIT.

I honestly hate to see stuff like this fail and people lose jobs, but surely ... it was right SS3 was culled, they really did say it was half way finished about a year ago, you are trying to do damage limitation by saying a part of it was half finished ... you must think we are fucking gullible idiots.

Please.

Kin Corn Karn

Arcane
Developer
Sorry Kin Corn Karn, its appreciated about your whistle blowing of course, but as far as I can see, all you are trying to do is damage limitation for your old company and your pride, without revealing your identity ... we all know who you really are.

Underworld Ascendant was pure SHIT and SS3 by you and your old colleagues was shaping up to be even worse SHIT.

I honestly hate to see stuff like this fail and people lose jobs, but surely ... it was right SS3 was culled, they really did say it was half way finished about a year ago, you are trying to do damage limitation by saying a part of it was half finished ... you must think we are fucking gullible idiots.

The only reason I'm posting is because I saw so much confusion about the state of the company and the project I thought some first person information would be welcome. I never suggested we were halfway done, core systems are a great foundation for a game but most of the work is content development which we were critically behind in, both in real assets and in tool support for an efficient pipeline.

Was the failure of the project right? It's hard to say. If Starbreeze hadn't gone into crisis I think we would've delivered something interesting with some fresh and innovative gameplay, but a much smaller game than what people were expecting and inevitably disappointing for a sequel to such a beloved franchise.

Those high expectations drove a lot of expensive experimentation. We were a small team and knew we couldn't compete with current immersive sims in production quality and breadth, so we had to be creative and clever and weird. And we were on our way to make something unique and possibly fun, but probably not what the audience was hungry for.

Harthwain

Magister
The guy says "it wasn't even complete enough" and you say he's "doing damage limitation"? Seriously? I get being upset, but you're losing contact with reality at this point.

Efe

Erudite
any chance you could get warren or paul to drop a couple lines here?
just a small piece about either UA or SS3 and flee afterwards, no need to put up with katana that way

Kin Corn Karn

Arcane
Developer
just a small piece about either UA or SS3 and flee afterwards, no need to put up with katana that way

That's not something I can do, but it wouldn't hurt to ask for an update on the official forums.

Max Heap

Arcane
Fraud or not, someone will eventually recycle the assets into... something.

That would be an economical decision.
But we are talking about the company that virtually threw away 90% of this and made a worse looking game:

Probably because the assets would clash with the quality they'd eventually settle for and/or they couldn't afford the rest of the game being on the same level of quality.

Going by that the SS3 trailer could be 90% "marketing" assets. Though it's a bit too diverse for that I guess.
But don't worry! I'm certain there is SOME way to still fuck those assets up somehow!

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Well, you can try to directly ask Warren Sepctor on Twitter. He probably won't answer it, or even if he does I don't think you'll get a straight answer, but worth a try I guess?

Nyast

Cipher
If Starbreeze hadn't gone into crisis I think we would've delivered something interesting with some fresh and innovative gameplay

The problem is that "innovative" is now used as a marketing word, and we all know how "innovative" Ultima Ascendant ended up being. Therefore, the second you mention that SS3 was innovative, people are going to smell bullshit, and for good reasons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom