Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Tabletop Simulator: It's p. gud

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

Someone bought this for me for Christmas a couple of years ago, I thought it was some cheap junk program meant to play chess and poker or whatever, and so I promptly forgot about it.

Well, I was wrong. While I was looking into the legendary Dune board game, I discovered that there are multiple editions that have been completely recreated in Tabletop Simulator.

In fact, TS has so many features, so much utility, and so many games available—some through official DLC, and many through Steam Workshop mods, including hundreds of Euro board and card games, Ameritrash board and card games, wholly original games designed by modders, entire Warhammer 40K armies, BattleTech minis and 3D hex maps, et cetera—that I got excited and decided to publish a video for the first time ever.

I recommend viewing this on YouTube and using the directory in my description text to skip around to different "chapters" of the video as desired.

If anyone wants to play some shit, I'd be interested. I have a few folks and a couple of family members who'll play stuff occasionally, but the more the merrier.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
my fav part of tabletop simulator is you can go tilt and throw things around like the proverbial chess-playing pigeon

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
my fav part of tabletop simulator is you can go tilt and throw things around like the proverbial chess-playing pigeon

At one point I had 50+ portraits of Hulk Hogan, some Mountains Dew Big Gulps, a bunch of bags of Doritos, and a whole lot of other crap just constantly respawning on top of each other and churning around every which way.

It's worth it for the screwing around alone, really.

spectre

Arcane
Yeah, and as far as practical applications are concerned, I use it with a friend of mine to test board and card games before we buy.
I think most of the major releases we were interested in got a TS module, the quality varies, some are fully automated, others are very barebone, but all in all, it's a decent tool to check out how stuff plays out.
Takes a bit of time to get used to some of the controls, but all in all it's handy and very configurable.

Of course, it doesn't come close to the real thing, but works great as an ersatz if you have a bunch of people with mics who can't get together for whatever reason.
Could also be useful for folks who design and want to playtest their stuff, but I have no experience with this.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Been using TTS since it came out in 2015 to play a few games with friends.

You can find pretty much everything on the steam workshop, it's a nice platform.

Morkar Left

It's amazing what you can do with it. And there is stuff for basically everything under the sun. Sold your WH40K miniatures? You don't have enough? The new ones suck? Here you can have huge armies of every faction. You only need the rule books.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
It's amazing what you can do with it. And there is stuff for basically everything under the sun. Sold your WH40K miniatures? You don't have enough? The new ones suck? Here you can have huge armies of every faction. You only need the rule books.

I found some articles online that wondered aloud if copyright infringement would be an issue for the TS, but (unsurprisingly to me) board game designers by and large don't mind it, reckoning it brings board games to a broader audience and encourages people to buy physical copies of games they enjoy.

Games Workshop stuff, on the other hand... GW is famous for being absurdly aggressive about its copyrights, so I'm surprised there haven't been any issues there.

Morkar Left

I'm surprised too. My guess is that the old universe isn't supported anymore and they hope it will bring more people to the new table top games just from seeing the older stuff. Or they are just clueless...

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I'm surprised too. My guess is that the old universe isn't supported anymore and they hope it will bring more people to the new table top games just from seeing the older stuff. Or they are just clueless...

Just checked their website and they do seem to be actively selling the classic lines. Maybe it's simply escaped their notice.

Classic BattleTech would be my main interest as far as miniatures games go, and I'm sure I'll have any number of people lining up to play. Yep, any time now. Aaaaaany time now....

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I'm having a lot of fun with this. I've played a few games with Steam friends (Scythe, Otto the Octopus, and Zombicide), I joined a group of guys who tend to run 2-4 games per week and have played a couple of games with them already (Lords of Waterdeep, Anachrony), and I'm scheduled to play in a 5- or possibly even 6-player game of Twilight Imperium 4th Ed. at the end of the month.

Game of the Year said:
b66a6a7f87.png

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Played five games—two each of an abstract tile placement and a simple bidding game, and one of a longer and more complex worker placement game—this morning with the leader of the TTS group and won all five, after he taught me two of them.

He took it well and I'm not one to gloat for longer than about ten or fifteen minutes at the very most, which is p. promising.

Also, there are a few advanced features I really should have shown in my video. It's practically like playing on a real tabletop, except often more convenient with scripts to minimize setup, automate scoring and shuffling, "smart" handling of tiles, token, and cards, etc.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
So I've always wanted to know: how well does Tabletop Simulator take to less popular rulesets? How easy is it to set things up? I am too much of a hipster to play 5e My favourite games tend to be indie titles, like DwD Studio's d00 games and 13th Age. Besides, there are enough AL games going around IRL, so I don't have to worry about finding a table.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
The last I played it, it was very janky in that it was super hard to control anything. Is that a feature? Because if it is, it is shit.

Did you watch his rather nice explanatory video? It looked like it follows pretty standard PC conventions. But everyone seems to have their own definition of what 'janky' means. Does your definition match Blaines definition or someone elses? The last one I saw on this board said that it meant game journalists didn't know how to use a keyboard and mouse. Is that the category you fall into?

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
This thing looks interesting. 40k control around bunch of dudes is food? Can you play rpg like DnD?

Mustawd

Will play 3rd Ed wh40k if anyone is interested. Really any non retarded version that is 3rd ed and higher.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The last I played it, it was very janky in that it was super hard to control anything. Is that a feature? Because if it is, it is shit.

Nah, it's as easy and fast as in real life in most usage cases, and in fact faster and more convenient in many ways due to what a virtual environment allows.

• Need to put a pile of counters back in three different cups? No need, draw a bounding box and press Delete. You're finished.
  • Need to draw six cards (or counters, or tiles, etc.)? Hover over a deck and press 6. Six cards instantly zip from the top of the deck into your hand.
  • Need to shuffle a deck of 200+ cards? Hover over the deck and press R, done.
  • Need to keep a player board neatly arranged? Set snap points and just drop things in loosely, they'll snap into place.
  • Need to keep track of a lot of different resources, meeples, piles of counters, etc.? No need, just use differently-colored virtual digital counters rather than piles of bits.
  • Need to move something all the way across a large table, but you're zoomed in? Press spacebar, now you have a view of everything. Drag and drop discarded cards, figurines, etc.

I could go on, and on, and on, and on....

Not only do you begin with the board and pieces unpacked and arranged when you load up a module (with customizations, if desired), but some DLCs/mods use scripts to then handle most or all of the additional setup, as I demonstrate in my video. Also, you don't need to clean everything up when the game is over. Just press Alt-F4 and walk away.

You'll never lose a piece, and they'll never be damaged. They're virtual. The only thing you lose out on is tactility and being face-to-face with people, which can be very nice to have, but TTS games are either cheap or free, and with TTS you have a potentially huge pool of people from all over to play with.

As I've said, since posting that video I joined a group, and I've played a number of some seriously complex games such as this one, proceeded without a single hitch and absolutely no simulation-induced hiccups:

3240c889c0.png

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
This thing looks interesting. 40k control around bunch of dudes is food? Can you play rpg like DnD?
Will play 3rd Ed wh40k if anyone is interested. Really any non retarded version that is 3rd ed and higher.

There's tons of stuff like this on the Workshop: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1319387248

Plus complete armies with pertinent combat info embedded into the miniatures' tooltips, loads of dice, kits of assets to easily make your own maps, virtual rulebooks, and various other props and tools, like a widget to add health bars/counters that float above each miniature and much more.

For BattleTech, there are also tons of miniatures, pre-made 3D hex maps, make-your-own-map kits, etc. Stuff like this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1321482930

Ninjerk

Arcane
Another nice thing: you can ignore really good buddies from the Codex who ask to watch your game.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Another nice thing: you can ignore really good buddies from the Codex who ask to watch your game.

Hey faggot, I clicked the Accept prompt when I saw your message. I don't know why I wasn't notified (and/or didn't notice) at the time you sent it, since I use default Steam notification settings apart from "X is now playing Y," but the point is I didn't see it.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Finished up a game of Eldritch Horror with one other player (we had a no-show, unforgivable) a few minutes ago. Investigators won (it's a co-op game, everyone wins or loses together). We played with Cthulhu as adversary and a moderate Mythos deck; Cthulhu's one of the more difficult Ancient Ones, and combined with the way the Mythos deck played out, this game was probably a 4 out of 5 in terms of difficulty.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Games Workshop stuff, on the other hand... GW is famous for being absurdly aggressive about its copyrights, s
I suppose they can do squat if content is distributed as a mod.
Similar thing with that Chapter Master game.

Quigs

Magister
I dig TTS. Trying it out for an RPG in a couple of weeks, hoping for the best.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Wait so this is good? So without reading can I play Call of Cthulhu with a bunch of fags on the net?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom