Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Tabletop Simulator Workshop Showcase

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
A dedicated thread highlighting some of the best workshop items for playing RPGs, wargames, CCGs, and Board Games using the software.

Let's start off with an oldie but goodie... AD&D 2E.

061DE6B266A4162B5066814623A618DD23E31E00

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1151935655&searchtext=AD&D

Game Contents:

- Player's Handbook
- Dungeon Master's Guide
- Monstrous Manual
- Monstrous Manual - Index
- Monstrous Manual - Monster Summoning Tables
- NPC Encounter Tables
- Player Character Generation Worksheet & Flow Chart (Double-sided sheet)
- Character Record Sheets (*Scripted)
- Character Classes Screens (Fighter, Wizard, Thief (Rogue), Priest)
- Character Classes Screen Manuals (Provides character creation tables and subclasses)
- "The Shattered Circle" - Adventure Book
- 4 Battle Maps (Double-sided maps)
- 2 Gaming Mat Boards (Explorer and Grassy Landscape)
- Game Miniatures (Players, Monsters and NPCs game pieces)
- 7 Dice (1D4, 1D6, 1D8, 1D10, 1D12, 1D20 and Percentile Die)
- Dungeon Master Screen

*There are 117 (3D model) miniatures included for the Dungeon Master to use.

West End Games Star Wars RPG

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1694502954

CCDE0DEFA68AC7995800F1E8BEC8E692FA7B429D

Contents:

GM Screen
REUP rulebook
The Template Collection Revised and Expanded
Alien Stats
Equipment Stats
Force Powers
Droid Stats
Creature Stats

West End Games Star Wars Miniature Battles

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1694464994

E145A2C316676654D2A45A1711B92F6DFB98B3E0

Contents:

Rulebooks
Counters
Templates

Star Wars RPG Assets

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2264201035

4A16B67081B3C1CCBE495CEAAF6DA2F34EF2F175

A collection of 3400+ assets new and old for Star Wars RPG. Included in this pack are Urban buildings, Decor for decorating maps, Nature items to craft terrain, and of course, classic Star Wars Vehicles and Characters.

Star Wars RPG Miniature Creator

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2411209826

257551791B6C994F74BD5D5ED6FC54475D1B8EC9

Content Features:
- 90+ Star Wars RPG Themed Bodies
- 70+ Heads
- 25 Unique Species: Human, Bothan, Twi'lek, Rodian, Trandoshan, Bith, Weequay, Gand, Sullustan, Kel Dor, Kubaz, Mon Calamari, Ishi Tib, Ithorian, Duros, Gran, Iktotchi, Aqualish, Nautolan, Cerean, Togruta, Zabrak, Mirialan, Ewok, Wookiee

Core Features:
- Scripted Drag and Drop 3D Character Creation
- Extensive Accessory and Attachment System with Custom Colors

Last edited:
i don't see drivethrurpg giving out free pdfs to people who absolutely totally already own the books for sure yeah.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
i don't see drivethrurpg giving out free pdfs to people who absolutely totally already own the books for sure yeah.

Your statement makes no sense. You asked if this was copyright infringement. I said you need to own the books that it's not copyright infringement in the US. Also, I'm not hosting the mods. These are on the Steam Workshop and most of the copyright owners really don't care what their fans do as long as you're not charging money for it. As for the 3D models, those are fan works with the approval of the copyright owners. That's how fan communities work.

AD&D 2E is sold as pdfs on DriveThruRPG. All you are doing is using that pdf inside of the software. It's format hasn't changed in the slightest.

The WEG Star Wars RPG books are fan made versions of the official rules put out by a group called Rancor Pit. They've been around since the 1990s and the early days of the internet. If Lucas had a problem with them they would have been shut down a long time ago. West End Games Star Wars is out of print and easily found on the internet if you know where to look.

WEG Star Wars Miniature Battles is archived for preservation as it is a dead system. It's been dead since WEG died in 2000 when they went bankrupt. To play it in real life requires miniatures to do it. You can use 3d printed ones that aren't Star Wars in the slightest. If you want official miniatures then you buy the Star Wars Legion ones to use.

Everything else is made by fans for use by fans.

The purpose of this thread is to show what you can do in TTS to host games for you and your friends. Your local laws apply to anything related to it and your responsibility to follow them.

and why doesn't this infrign copyright?
The WEG d6 Star Wars RPGs are completely fan made versions of the original D6 SW game. With incredible amounts of added content that counts as transformative. The OSR figured out that you cannot copyright rules. That's why they can get away with selling versions B/X and AD&D 1ed as long as they don't call it DnD or refer to DnD.

Also, I don't fucking care.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
The WEG d6 Star Wars RPGs are completely fan made versions of the original D6 SW game. With incredible amounts of added content that counts as transformative. The OSR figured out that you cannot copyright rules. That's why they can get away with selling versions B/X and AD&D 1ed as long as they don't call it DnD or refer to DnD.

Also, I don't fucking care.

Excellent reply. The US Copyright and Patent offices declared that mechanical rules can't be patented or copyrighted. The US Copyright office stated that only that unique expression that makes up the book can be copyrighted, but the actual mechanics can't be. I could legally write my own version of AD&D 2E and not a thing that Wizards of the Woke can do about it. In fact, somebody did create their own version of AD&D 2E called For Gold & Glory that you can get the pdf for free.

Codex Year of the Donut
The company which makes Tabletop Simulator doesn't sell these assets, they're provided by a third party source, Tabletop Simulator's developer cannot be held responsible for the actions of others.
Sort of like how video game recreations aren't copyright infringement because they just reimplement the mechanical aspect of the game and you have to get the actual game assets yourself elsewhere.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
yet fan projects get shut down left and right all the day. just ask nintendo.

You asked about infringement and I answered it as it pertains to where I live at. That just happens to be the US. I don't give a flying fuck about your country or its laws. Stop derailing my thread.

Codex Year of the Donut
yet fan projects get shut down left and right all the day. just ask nintendo.
If the publishers of the content cared, they could indeed likely have that content pulled down from Steam.
They either don't care or are unaware.

Nintendo stands out due to its heavy use of takedowns of fan content. Most publishers don't care as long as you're not soliciting money.

Andnjord

Arcane
so in short it is infrignment, and any other kind of answer is distilled copium. thank you for confirming.
There's what legally is or isn't infringement as would be held up in the court of law, and then there's the heavy handed pressure brought about by large corporations who know you'll never have the balls and money to fight them for it, often helped by the third party host (Steam or Youtube) who care more about the add/sponsorship revenue than the strict legality of their action.

Last edited:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
so in short it is infrignment, and any other kind of answer is distilled copium. thank you for confirming.

Incorrect. If you own the pdfs of the books and import them as a custom pdf into TTS you haven't infringed anything. All you changed was the reading software used to read said pdf. That's the legal answer for the US. I could care less about your shit stain of a country. You are responsible for adhering to your local laws.

Bara

Arcane
Why tabletop simulator over any other VTT out of curiosity?

Always seemed kind of just basic to me with nice 3d models but not a lot of other features unless I'm mistaken?

Or is that the point where its just hey here's a nice 3d intractable for the tabletop as really all you need is the books and dice.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

Always seemed kind of just basic to me with nice 3d models but not a lot of other features unless I'm mistaken?

Or is that the point where its just hey here's a nice 3d intractable for the tabletop as really all you need is the books and dice.

It's completely immersive where you can play card games, board games, wargames, and RPGs. It gives you a 3D virtual space that includes the table. You can import pdfs, art, 3d miniatures, music, and the like. Once you've played a game using TTS you'll never go back to the other 2D ones.

There are thousands of workshop mods that give you 3D terrain, books, complete tables, etc... If you want to play a Star Trek game on a Federation starship bridge you can.

GreyViper

Prophet

Its a easy platform to use and the support of steamsworkshop makes things really easy.
Pick the tabletop game youd like to play with friends over the world and give it a go.
So far I have tried, Decent with steam app streaming , Betrayal at Baldurs Gate, Hero Quest, Mansions of Madness with Steam app streaming, Eldrich Horror, Bindings of Isac, Fallout, Eclipse and Twilight Empire.
But yeah the selection is impressive.

Biggest advantage is even though there is some DLC almost any board game in the world is on there for free. From modern ones to ancient ones only I remember. Most VTT software supports only a handful of games if you are lucky.

Plus because it's just a simple physics simulator at heart it's much easier to teach a layman to use over something like Roll20.

Bara

Arcane
Interesting and is the steam workshop the only way to install third party add ons?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom