Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tactical Combat Department - Turn-based S.W.A.T. in Early Access

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://rendersystem-games.com

ABOUT THIS GAME
Tactical Combat Department is a tactical turn-based strategy game inspired by Swat games.
You command a special intervention squad that intervenes in various situations and environments.

Features
• The game is inspired by Swat games with turn based tactics
• Turn base action with classic action points
• Random generated position of enemies
• You can arrest suspects or civilians
• Psychology and morale
• Realistic fog of war based on unit's field of view
• Support for monitors with ultrawide screen

Psychology
Civilians and armed suspects have certain morale and react to the stimuli around them. With the help of voice pressure, it is possible to force the opponent to cooperate. However, this may not be enough for long distances. Some give up easily; some do not. In case of failure, it is possible to use other options such as Pepper spray or blinding grenade.

Anim_B.gif

Fight tactics and breaking the door
Choose from an intense dynamic action such as blasting the door or kicking them in. In this case, however, you can face opponents from the outside but also the inside. In many situations, therefore, a quiet action is more appropriate, like a slow opening of the door using a handle, the use of silent variants of weapons, etc.

Anim_C.gif

Before entering the room, it is recommended to use a camera to check the number and location of suspects. The door can be opened in many ways, such as slowly opening the door, kicking it out or using explosives, etc. Some doors may be locked. Then it is necessary to use a unique multifunction tool to open it.
It is a good idea to be safe using a Flashbang grenade before entering. It is advisable to continually guard access to the room and cover the space and corners as well. It is also advisable not to shatter the team too much and rely on yourself more.
It is ideal for moving forward considering the protection of the lives of civilians, armed suspects and, of course, members of your team.

Anim_G.gif

Fog of war
You only see what your team members see. You have to proceed carefully from door to door, covering corners and unprotected places to prevent a surprise attack of the enemy. Because the design of the levels is not predictable or not know in advance, surveying the area goes step by step.

Set up the rules
It is essential to set up the rules as soon as possible and to secure all suspects and civilians. An unsecured opponent is still a threat, and if one does not pay attention, he may try to escape or attack suddenly. Chaos on the battlefield increases the risk of injury to team members or civilians. Civilians can panic and scatter around.

Shooting system
The shooting system is based on the trajectory of the projectiles, considering the experience of the unit and the accuracy of the weapon. The higher the distance, the greater the chance that the enemy or your unit will also hit people around. These risks have to be considered based on the unit's experience. Some materials can be shot through.

Anim_F.gif

Ragdoll physics and animations from motion capture
All characters has implemented Ragdoll physics. Animations are combined with data from motion capturing.

Anim_E.gif

Ai
Opponents move around the area based on their judgment. At the beginning of each level, their position is randomly generated, so it is necessary to proceed carefully and tactically each time. They respond to loud sounds and follow what they see. If a threat occurs, they also let their colleagues know the information for being cautious and within a specific range. If attacked, they then try to hide behind the nearest obstacles.

Last edited by a moderator:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Shooting system
The shooting system is based on the trajectory of the projectiles, considering the experience of the unit and the accuracy of the weapon. The higher the distance, the greater the chance that the enemy or your unit will also hit people around. These risks have to be considered based on the unit's experience. Some materials can be shot through.

Instantly bought it.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's only early access for now. I'm only interested in the full release.

Maybe udm will grace us with his impressions.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Impressions from the demo: Which game of the new "batch" of tacticools is the best?

I played couple missions from the EA version and my impressions still stand - the basic game systems are solid, but the game will get old pretty soon unless the missions become more complex than the "one building, five rooms, four suspects" type of deal that I have seen so far. Its developed by a single indie dude working from his garage, so I am not too optimistic about the amount the polish and further development this will get over time. The price tag seems to be about right.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Alright, I finished all 8 missions that are in the EA version. The last two (sewers and motel) already had a bit higher degree of complexity (ie relatively large maps with lots of doors and armed suspects, however the sewers also had an expected issue with all TB all the time games - ie if you miss one dude in a dark corridor, you may need quite a few turns to find him).

The main problem is that there is only one mission type - an equivalent of the rapid deployment/bring order to chaos missions from SWAT3/4, ie your only task is to arrest or neutralize everyone on the map. A SWAT game needs at least hostage rescue (the unarmed civilians in the game are basically harmless suspects - uncooperative but at the same time the armed suspects don’t try to harm them in anyway) and timed bomb defusal missions to spice things up a bit.

So yeah - the game needs more (well designed) missions in general, more mission types, ideally some "strategic" layer (increasing stats for operators, buying of better guns/gear). I could imagine some additions such as off-map sniper support or an additional element (you only control one element of five operators in all the missions) for larger maps. As I said, since this is a one man project, it is doubtful how much of this is realistic. The price tag at 10 euro bucks seems to point towards the possibility of this being intended as a small game.

Harthwain

Magister
The main problem is that there is only one mission type - an equivalent of the rapid deployment/bring order to chaos missions from SWAT3/4, ie your only task is to arrest or neutralize everyone on the map.
I wonder if they are doing missions in bulk in order to switch to another and then mix them up, because this is easier than going back and forth between mission types?

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I'm up to Mission 5 and I think I've had enough. I'm not sold on the game. Parsimonious cook is right, it definitely feels like a small game - a very budget, indie game with some nice features like simulated bullet trajectories, optiwands and multiple door-handling options, but that's it. You just yell compliance at suspects for 2AP each time until their morale drops to 0, then cuff them; or, for the more aggressive ones, you can just shoot them. You can't change stances, and there's no noise simulation. It's more a room-to-room clearing exercise with bad AI. Shame, because the idea behind it was good.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1298010/view/3128318499400948576
20220309 Update!
New update is here!
Dear players!
I have been hard working on game and I have reacted several tips from you

* New mission - Harbor!
7f6805c262268e5f65012eb5bc4253698d532acc.png

* You can play in Top down mode now for better clarity in combat!
Use C key or Middle mouse button to change camera
a01c1c3a6587dc789cef61c6ea95922de209e20e.png

* New better and more intuitive controls
* Graphics changes for top down view
* Post process update
* Lightmap reworked in all missions
* Mission 10 - Bomb explode after 15 turns
* 3D view camera can be rotated every 45 degrees
* New control scheme:

SWAD - move camera
QE - rotate camera
C - change camera view
Left mouse button - actions with units, action selection
Right mouse button - change unit view
Middle mouse button - change camera 3D View/Top Down

Top down view:
Mouse wheel: camera zoom
3D view:
Mouse wheel: camera rotation +- 45 degrees

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom