Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tactical Space Combat - Update 2

tiagocc0

Arcane
Here's a video of what I've done: http://vimeo.com/27319876
The video is lagged, but the game is not, I will try to make a better video later.

It's still very basic, the ship attributes are passed when they are created.
There's no modules yet. I will try to make a playable version for you guys to download and test on this weekend.

Tell me if looks too ugly. :M

EDIT: Hi there,

I've just made a playable demo of the tactical space combat. If you could please test it and tell me if it is slow or buggy, this is help me sort out specific bugs that I wouldn't find testing on one machine only.

Thank you very much for keeping up with me!

http://www.purpleorangegames.com/StarLi ... Combat.zip

EDIT2: I have one friend of mine to test it and it didn't work on his computer, I'm installing a windows xp vm to further test the issue.

EDIT3: Just updated the file: http://www.purpleorangegames.com/StarLi ... Combat.zip
It seems to be working now, sorry about the bugged version.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I think it looks pretty damn good actually! :thumbsup:

The interface looks pretty straight-forward and good. However, when combat gets increasing complex, will the radial-menu still suffice?

tiagocc0

Arcane
Grunker said:
I think it looks pretty damn good actually! :thumbsup:

The interface looks pretty straight-forward and good. However, when combat gets increasing complex, will the radial-menu still suffice?

Thanks!
Probably not, like you will have different types of weapons where you will probably want to choose what to shot first or something like that.
I was think of creating a bar where you would have the same buttons in a fixed place so you could choose what to use and in the bar you would have some more complex actions.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Just watched the video - VERY good! Pleasing aesthetics and functional.

Need some added interface and perhaps upping the scale a bit to make it feel more "epic", like using clusters of dots to represents whole squadrons of smaller ships like destroyers battling great behemoths of battle cruisers and dreadnoughts.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Malakal said:
Just watched the video - VERY good! Pleasing aesthetics and functional.

Need some added interface and perhaps upping the scale a bit to make it feel more "epic", like using clusters of dots to represents whole squadrons of smaller ships like destroyers battling great behemoths of battle cruisers and dreadnoughts.

Thanks, yes, it needs some more interface, I haven't done the info button yet that appears in the video.
I was thinking of doing ships that would occupy four hexagons and then bigger ships to represent their sizes.

But this is a nice idea as well.

tiagocc0

Arcane
tiagocc0 said:
Here's a video of what I've done: http://vimeo.com/27319876
The video is lagged, but the game is not, I will try to make a better video later.

It's still very basic, the ship attributes are passed when they are created.
There's no modules yet. I will try to make a playable version for you guys to download and test on this weekend.

Tell me if looks too ugly. :M

EDIT: Hi there,

I've just made a playable demo of the tactical space combat. If you could please test it and tell me if it is slow or buggy, this is help me sort out specific bugs that I wouldn't find testing on one machine only.

Thank you very much for keeping up with me!

http://www.purpleorangegames.com/StarLi ... Combat.zip

I have one friend of mine to test it and it didn't work on his computer, I'm installing a windows xp vm to further test the issue.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Doesnt work for me too. Have XP. The first window with parameters starts, I select some and then the second window is empty forever.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Malakal said:
Doesnt work for me too. Have XP. The first window with parameters starts, I select some and then the second window is empty forever.

Okay, I will try to fix it as soon as I can. Thanks for the feedback!

Shemar

Educated
I am generally not into videos but I will definitely try out the playable demo and let you know!

Shemar

Educated
Played the demo. Very good starting point.You have all the basic in place (drawing, reading mouse clicks, hex distances etc) as far as working with a hex grid.

I woud move the interface away fro the map as it tends to hide nearby ships, and I would definitely add keyboard hotkeys for all commands as well as hex-by-hex movement.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Shemar said:
I am generally not into videos but I will definitely try out the playable demo and let you know!

Thanks for testing it out!

Shemar said:
Played the demo. Very good starting point.You have all the basic in place (drawing, reading mouse clicks, hex distances etc) as far as working with a hex grid.

I woud move the interface away fro the map as it tends to hide nearby ships, and I would definitely add keyboard hotkeys for all commands as well as hex-by-hex movement.

I'm still thinking of a good way to design the interface, but I may keep this radial menu over the ship but require a double click to access it.

Hotkeys is definitely a must, it's on the to-do list.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I can confirm that it works on my laptop and Win 7 that my laptop has. Looks VERY good too. I liked the simple graphic style and menu.

Some feedback:
-menu should appear either after a longer while or if the ship is right clicked
-movement should be possible with ship selected and then right clicking on the desired position
-menu could include an option to show grids displaying weapon and movement range when ship is selected (like range in Heroes series)

But for a start its great.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Malakal said:
I can confirm that it works on my laptop and Win 7 that my laptop has. Looks VERY good too. I liked the simple graphic style and menu.

Some feedback:
-menu should appear either after a longer while or if the ship is right clicked
-movement should be possible with ship selected and then right clicking on the desired position
-menu could include an option to show grids displaying weapon and movement range when ship is selected (like range in Heroes series)

But for a start its great.

Thanks!
I will change it to right click.

Noted, I will improve the movement and how it shows on the screen.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Zed said:
updatan?!

Hi Zed, sorry for the lack of update, I've found some issues with the animation I've been coding so I will have to redo most of the code to get rid of the complexity, my code is still very immature.
Most of my free time I had to spend working so I will try to speed things up next month. :D

KickAss

Augur
Lokks good! I don't know if you answered this elsewhere, but are there going to be targeted shots at specific modules of the ship? Weapons that target specific modules? What about movement? Will everyone move the same, or will there be special abilities, like, for example, warping a huge distance at the cost of losing all the action points for a turn?

tiagocc0

Arcane
Lokks good! I don't know if you answered this elsewhere, but are there going to be targeted shots at specific modules of the ship? Weapons that target specific modules? What about movement? Will everyone move the same, or will there be special abilities, like, for example, warping a huge distance at the cost of losing all the action points for a turn?
Targeting at specific modules is something I still have to think but I like the idea, it's just a lot harder to balance the game later if added.
There will be weapons that will hit a specific criteria like in MoO2 a weapon that is specialized to put shields down, another is specialized to hit the ship structure bypassing the armor and another that is specialized at killing the crew.
I'm open to suggestions of new types of weapons like this.
There will be definitely techs that will help moving the ship faster and teleporting in the late game.
Some 'alien' aliens may have this abilities from the start.

KickAss

Augur
Actually, alot of RPG magic spells can be implemented in spaceship combat as well: "Entangle", "Invisibility", "Mirror Image", "Teleport", "Dominate", etc.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Actually, alot of RPG magic spells can be implemented in spaceship combat as well: "Entangle", "Invisibility", "Mirror Image", "Teleport", "Dominate", etc.
That's right, but I would have to make sure that they wouldn't feel like rpg magic or it would degrade the gameplay.
I will be sure to look at rpg magic for inspiration.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom