Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tactics Ogre: Let us cling together - One vision mod - the best tacticool game out there.

Perkel

Arcane
Ok in the other thread about best combat we talked briefly about some games and we got to Tactics Ogre: LUCT. Naturally it came to usual sore mood that PSP version is nice remaster but fumbles a lot original mechanics as SNES version is simply better tactical game.

Well i played LUCT few years back and back then there was only like mod for FFT that made it retarded harder without really chaning mechanics that much and imho FFT was already inferior a lot to Tactics Ogre. Right now i checked again and voila:

One Vision mod

It basically completely re-balances whole game, not only it changes game to be closer to SNES version but also from patchnotes it provides shitload of changes that could be argued that it would make it the best tacticool game there is.

Frankly speaking it has like 100 pages of pdf in changes when you download it but main changes are :
- each class now behaves more realistically, archers are no longer op, fencers are actually viable, berserkers have highest melee damage now etc. Generally all classes are now viable. Clerics can now wear armor and heal scales with stats.
- All gear has purpose now. Want to have your warriors speeding to their targets ? Give them light armor instead of heavy. You need to take on bunch of mages with warrior switch to dagger ! now it can cause silence status. Axes reduce armor, maces stun etc.
- every skill in the game, every ability, spell etc got revised, some spells are out some new spells are in.
- enemy ai also got improved
- you can easier get stuff for crafting and all crafting has 100% chance of success. No MMO in LUCT anymore
..... and shitload of other changes. You can read it yourself when you download mod as pdf comes with it.

INSTRUCTION:
Get .iso of PSP game Tactics Ogre:Let Us Cling Together
Download UMDgen
Open .iso in UMDgen and just drop PSP_GAME folder from mod to UMDgen opened .iso and overwrite
Save it as uncompressed .iso and give it name
Done.

You can now open this in PSP emulator that works perfectly on everything and it is noobeasy PPSSPP
Enjoy best tacticool game there is.

For those who don't know what Tactics Ogre is:

Perkel

Arcane
It is tactical gaming thread mate not jrpg thread. It is japanese tacticool game though.

Perkel

Arcane
Only ever played Knight of Lodis. Should I play the modded game from the getgo and does the mod change the translation/story at all?

Mod only changes gameplay. And yes go for modded game from start.
While vanilla game is good (just not as good as SNES version) it is way worse game gameplay wise than modded.

As for story itself... well let us just say that i don't know any other game which has both turn based combat and better story/journey than LUCT.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Brofist for this. PPSSPP and DraStic are the two apps that will never leave my android phone and although I've played through LUCT on PPSSPP before, this sounds like it's worth a run through again.

Repressed Homosexual
But it's pretty much useless since it keeps the retarded "you have to buy your class skills with points" system that punishes experimentation with multiple classes.

I learned that modders only make things worse.

Think of it. Why would someone spend hundreds of hours modding a game and releasing his work for free? Nobody would do that unless they had profound issues.

Latro

Arcane
But it's pretty much useless since it keeps the retarded "you have to buy your class skills with points" system that punishes experimentation with multiple classes.

Think of it. Why would someone spend hundreds of hours modding a game and releasing his work for free? Nobody would do that unless they had profound issues.
who mocks a mod without even playing one moment on it?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

who mocks a mod without even playing one moment on it?
repressedhomorainbow.gif

Jinn

Arcane
Mod sounds awesome. Can't wait to give it a try someday.

Would probably get better exposure in the JRPG forum though.

HansDampf

Arcane
I've never played this. Should I go straight to this modded PSP version, or PS1 version, or Super Famicom + translation hack? Is the translation at least decent?

Perkel

Arcane
I've never played this. Should I go straight to this modded PSP version, or PS1 version, or Super Famicom + translation hack? Is the translation at least decent?

If you can modded PSP. Instruction in op.
But if you don't want to toy you can go straight into PSP version it is still amazing game if you didn't play Tactics Ogre before.

HansDampf

Arcane
If the mod is closer to the SFC version and doesn't require any prior knowledge of the game, I'm fine with it. But the battlefield graphics look blurry in the PSP version compared to the SFC version. It seems to have been ported that way. This makes my pixel fetish sad.
oBbMIDc.png

T6dk87I.png

Jinn

Arcane
Perkel is there supposed to be any indication when you start up the patched rom that the mod has indeed been applied? Like something that says "One Vision v0.92" or anything, cause I don't see anything like that on mine.

Perkel

Arcane
Perkel is there supposed to be any indication when you start up the patched rom that the mod has indeed been applied? Like something that says "One Vision v0.92" or anything, cause I don't see anything like that on mine.

yep

You will have game icon saying Tactics Ogre - One Vision in ppsspp and it will be blueish instead of orangeish.

like this:

elkQK2M.jpg

Perkel

Arcane
If the mod is closer to the SFC version and doesn't require any prior knowledge of the game, I'm fine with it. But the battlefield graphics look blurry in the PSP version compared to the SFC version. It seems to have been ported that way. This makes my pixel fetish sad.

Leaving aside PSP port being blurred you pixel fetish is wrong.
Correctly SNES version would have scanlines which would make game look more like PSP version than what your have shown.

Also PPSSPP does have scanlines filter which works brilliantly even on PSP version:
It is CRT Scanlines filter in Option>Graphics

4MbgBxZ.jpg

vota DC

Augur
Didn't play the old tactics ogre but played Ogre Battle. It was unique because AI was very aggressive and every time you killed someone in self defense your got an alignment drop because "if you kill someone weaker then you are a bully" so you were encouraged to have evil people to fight and good people to liberate towns......that is quite strange so Treebeard is evil because he killed many orcs. Many different endings was a nice thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom