Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tactics Ogre: Reborn - remaster based on 2010 release

somerandomdude

Learned
I haven't been impressed with Wizards so far, but I just got Paradigm Shift and that certainly seems like it has potential. My Enchantress has been on the team for giggles than anything, but with the AoE-stuff unlocking she's a bit more useful.

I love gishes but I also haven't been impressed with Rune-Fencer/Valkyrie. Seems like a poor man's Ninja for the most part.

EDIT: I'm expecting my Enchantress to become quite a bit better once I unlock the +3 range staff though. Because she can't use Baldur Mace, she skips the +2 weapon meaning you get a huge increase when the +3 staff becomes available.

Mages are really toned down/nerfed in this version. You'd have to have perspective about how good they used to be vs how they are in this version. The reason why mages are shit, is because finishers use MP in this game, which sort of invalidates mages as an offensive tool. In the PS1 version, mages got an area 2 AOE with the basic spell (once their INT level increased), and then learned a summon spell which could multi-hit one target for big damage (usually a oneshot), so they were pretty powerful. In this version they're not even 1/4 as good. Not only that, but mages are super squishy, and the enemy AI tends to go out of their way to isolate them. Rune Fencers are 90% as good as mages with spells, and can also use a heal, and don't get easily picked off by enemy archers, and have MP regen for finishers. Rune fencers also learn a 0MP cost activation skill in the late 20s, early 30s, so that level 3 missile spell or heal ends up being free. I gave my rune fencers spears. At 30 skill they learn a ranged AOE finisher that hits in a + that does big damage for 60mp cost. The sorta offense I wish I had on a mage, but they never actually get. Even if mages get better options in post game in this version, I say too little too late.
Agreed that mages feel useless next to Rune Fencers. Magic IN GENERAL isn't useless, though. If anything, it was redundant before, when Archers made every class pointless. Now if you want to take down enemies at a distance you need an even mix of magic and archery depending on the enemy's armor type, and Rune Fencers/Valkyries actually become extremely useful for being able to deal either type of damage depending on the enemy you fight.

The problem is that by whatever change happened under the hood, wizards just aren't that great at magic compared to the hybrids. My generic valkyrie outdamages the generic wizard with the same spell, it's absurd.
Mages get a few things in the very end game/post game, but it's still a case of too little, too late, IMO. They needed some of this stuff during the story campaign as a baseline for simply being viable at all. Like, I crafted a wand that has 3 charges of +100mp, so every battle you got some free MP boosters, as well as some spells that finally hit in a bigger area than a basic +. I still haven't gotten the summon spells, I've seen a few enemies with them, and I even recruited an enemy who had the gnome spell, but the game robbed me from acquiring the spell equipped on the person I just recruited? I also recruited a Lich who had some necromancer spells that I didn't possess, and I got robbed there too. Saw a guy with a dragon magic, I was like cool, but why bother, the game will just rob me again if I recruit them?

Also, the battle speed in this game was still too slow for my liking, even after simplifying animations, and using the in game booster. The game felt a lot better after applying a double speed boost, and it made battles a bit less of a slough. Certain types of characters seem to do fine on AI control, but the AI doesn't use any of the buffing skills ever on any of the options given, so characters with buffs must be manually controlled. The game feels a lot better with a x2 speed boost, and 1/3-1/2 of your lineup on AI control.

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
This is by far tactics ogre has been to a actual strategy game. Cards are not op compared to how crafting was in the psp version. Go play disagae or super robot if you want grind rpgs that larp as strategy games.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
I know that there is many who cry after Reborn version of TO get cut from some bloat from PSP version but for me its opposite. The Nips didn't cut enough bloat. They should cut more. Bloat should be cut with no mercy.

Sentinel

Arcane
What the royal, flying *fuck* is this goddamn remake?

giphy.gif

I don't even know where to begin...

Let's see... I'll make it a bullet point format. Brain-addled, ADHD zoomers like bullet points. Yeah, that'll work:
  • Party Level Cap™: Yeah, let's start with the big one. Let me set this clear: this site was born out of spite for games like Oblivion that introduced ass-cancer mechanics such as level-scaling, and guess what, motherfuckers? This type of shit is in the same vein of game design and should be nuked from the orbit of gaming. Forever. With extreme prejudice and absolutely zero tolerance.
  • "B-B-But muh balance and challenge..." I can already see the towering pile of fanboys who swallow whatever shit comes out already seething and dilating. Fuck off with your artificial difficulty barriers. Fuck off to your Dark Souls ball pit or whatever other shitty games with asinine surrogate replacements for real challenge it is you play. The PSP game was already challenging and required thinking and planning to overcome your obstacles. Yes, you could just brute-force grind your party to level 50 and recruit nothing but Hawkmen from random battles in Chapter I, arm them with crossbows, and set them loose to unleash such hell from the sky the motto 'Death From Above' would fall short... But then again, this is not what most people did (it was still a very cool thing to do, but you no longer can because the game has been retardedly streamlined). What most people did was enter a battle, get their ass handed to them, proceed to dissect—with their 9000-million IQ—how to put up a better party and skill combination, and redo the battle this time utterly destroying and annihilating their opposition. It's the only way a tactical RPG should be played. No, there are no other ways these games should be played
  • Let's take for example one of the most iconic battles, fucking Qadriga Fortress:
TacticsOgre_Nibas.jpg
  • I see that layout, and already I am trembling in despair... This battle is everything that is right in Tactics Ogre. It's also annoying as fuck, but whatever. You'd play this back in the PSP remake (I don't give a fuck about the SNES version), and you'd instantly know this game took no survivors. The way you typically handled this back then was trying the battle out as soon as you freed Leonar and the priest, getting your ass rekt, and then returning after meeting with the Lodis badass troupe (or some shit), this time with a couple more levels and skills under your belt. You didn't need to be 10 levels above, just one or two, enough to equip 'Sidestep I' on your Clerics, Wizards and Archers, buy a good bunch Exorcism scrolls, and then proceed to run up this infernal gauntlet, unrelentingly and systematically eliminating and exorcising your opposition until you took down the Bad Man himself, Nybeth.
  • This battle was the perfect example of good encounter design. There were three main challenges to overcome: undead you needed to Exorcise, who would otherwise resurrect or block your path towards Nybeth (who had 'Sidestep II' to avoid archer cheese), a clear height and space disadvantage, and archers raining down hell on your troops. Sending Canopus alone was suicide because he'd get focused by all the archers and mages and get destroyed. But once you realized you had to actually use your brain and equip your party with the proper skill and spell set, you were a-ok.
  • How do you handle this in the remake? You train until you reach your Party Level Cap™. You wait until the Physical Damage and Critical Buff Cards™ drop. You grab them with Canopus™. You one-shot the Target™. The End. This is how you handle 99% of all encounters by the way. There's no skill assignment. There's no use of Exorcism scrolls. There's no need to re-arrange party composition. You just have to grind the Party Level Cap™ and brute-force your way to the target hoping the buff cards pile up nicely along the path. In this particular encounter there's an even higher annoyance factor due to Catiua's retarded AI not spending her MP on Exorcism and instead using it on Heal. You must also pray your priests' RNG proc Medidate fast enough to have enough MP since you can't have them use Magic Leafs anymore because you can no longer buy them in shops, and you can't get them from random encounters. They did this because TP is now 'streamlined' into MP, and it would have been 'unbalanced' to have 'abusers' use Magic Seeds to have 250 MP from the start to use your Finishers on Turn 2. TP avoided this retardation. Again, patching up shit design they made as they go. You'll see this is a trend in this remake, this patching-shit-up-as-they-go thing.

• There Are Buff Cards™ In My Tactics, How Long Till They Lie In My Anus?: I mentioned them in the example above, but this, of course, deserves an entry of its own. I can already imagine one of the absolutely retarded designers going "'Tactics'? As in Tactics Ogre? We don't like that. We like retarded RNG. Why? Because that's roguelike, and roguelikes are like mega cool. Hell yeah! I know what we should do. We should add an (insanely) retarded amount of buff cards and have them drop randomly on the map that players *need* to grab because otherwise they won't do damage or regenerate MP cause fuck it, we placed a goddamn Party Level Cap™ and now we must start to patchwork everything around it. 'Do you grab the game-changing card or not?!' Fuck yeah! That definitely sounds like tactical decision dilemma."
  • This also had the collateral effect of making the amazing battlefields this game has look absolutely retarded once they become flooded with the absurd amount of cards each encounter shits out.
  • Bosses Have Temporary Card Buffs: by the time you start facing bosses you've probably stockpiled and crafted some Magic Seeds that allow you to instantly have 250 MP to run your Finishers on Turn 2, and since this a challenging, Dark Souls-like, zoomer-friendly game, we can't have that. Do you like Bethesda games' unkillable characters? Well this is the same shit, but at least it's temporary. What it really is though is yet another chapter in the patching-things-up-as-they-go saga to make ammends to their retarded design decision-making, this time the TP into MP thing that who the fuck knows why it was made; probably so the zoomer brain doesn't need to keep track of two counters, or whatever-the-fuck.
  • The Great Skill Gutting: since from above we can evidently surmise devs thought zoomers apparently lack a brain (which was actually good reading from them), and instead of making the UI intuitive, they decided to completely gut TP skills that were manually activated and turned them into 'Auto-Skills' that are basically RNG cooldown™ procs, because fuck it MOBAs and Dark Souls games have cooldowns and zoomers play those games. In the previous iteration of this gem now turned into a piece of trash, *you*, the player, would decide precisely *how* and *when* to spend your TP per character to activate their special abilities and skills. They also removed Strengthen, Parry, Knockback, Counter-Attack, Deflect, Sidestep, Fortify, and a myriad other situational skills that presented the problem of occupying a skill slot but also enabling certain tactics or workarounds for class weaknesses. Some of them got merged into intrinsic item properties (Why? To give them more 'uniqueness'? Why remove player choice in the first place?), others merged into classes, and because they did this, it brings us to the next patchwork of their mess...
  • The Great Spell Gutting: "Gee, now, since we've removed magic skills and merged them into classes or whatever, that'd make them very overpowered since they'd be able to cast all spells from all the elements. How do we fix this? Oh, I know! Let's further remove player choice! Yeah, we'll say it's now 'challenging' and 'restrictive', strategic even, because I mean who the fuck will remember that to cast a certain element type you'd have to assign the skills we've now removed?". Fuck this remake in the ass, multiple times, violently.
  • No Class-Shared Skills: "You said you liked tailor-making your own builds and parties? Well, fuck you, because we don't want to balance another nightmare, this is serious Dark Souls RNG roguelike game with limits and challenge now."
  • No Random Encounters: instead now we have 'Training'—which is always the same except for the location—to reach the mandatory Party Level Cap™, which you *have* to reach otherwise it'll be all up to the Buff Cards™ (spoiler: even if you reach the Level Cap, it will still be all up to the fucking cards). The original SNES had training in it, I know, but fuck the SNES version. And fuck this remake. It's retarded to fight your own troops. There was no reason to remove random encounters. None. They added spice and variety. They allowed you to get extra gold. They allowed you get extra experience. They allowed you to get new troops. They allowed you to correct the retarded Chaos Frame system the game had with Death Marches. They also added an additional window of opportunity to recruit special races and steal/get rare items. And you know what's worse? The training music track. It's awful. The SNES version had the awesome Harvest Dance theme. It was fucking awesome, and perhaps the only thing better over the PSP remake. Just listen to this beautiful track, 16-bits in all its glory. Zoomers will never experience it. Fuck zoomers. And fuck this remake, again. Instead all we have now is a generic, bland, orchestrated™ training track that sounds way too cheery for all the carnage that is supposedly going on in the screen. And you'll be listening to it a *lot*, because guess what, motherfucker, training is mandatory unless you like whacking at targets 500 times until they die and leaving the outcome of all battles to RNG card placement.
  • Voice-Acting: yet another instance of sedated, sitcom British voice-acting. This seems to be the very plague of modern games nowadays, I'm not even surprised. There's not a single game out there that out of sheer blandness doesn't fall back into recruiting the most sedated, most bland and most emotionally-devoid voice actors and having them just read lines while sounding as British as possible. You like that shit? Well you're in luck because the English VO of this absolute trainwreck is just like that.
  • B-But what about the Jap VO...? It's actually OK, perhaps the only decent thing out of this garbage, but still suffers from some voices not aligning with the portrait or personality, and it feels weird listening to lines you once read, but I guess you can't justify the full price tag otherwise.
  • Let's Us Cling The OST Into An Orchestral Version: because having an orchestra means it'll always be higher quality and won't change the music's character whatsoever. Yeah... Also let them put the most annoying theme as the training BGM, which'll be the track you'll be listening the most to, over and over again, constantly reminding you of how much money you payed for a game that is a direct downgrade from the original.
  • Forced Scaling Filter: why... why do developers keep doing this with remakes that had good pixel art... I won't even expand upon this, it's self-explanatory, and blatantly inadmisible.
  • The Mouse+Keyboard Controls: a tactics game where you have to click three times and go throught two separate sub-menus to just make a character move doesn't have any right to exist. None.
  • They didn't restore the original SNES portraits. They were awesome. They kept the PSP ones, which though higher in resolution, lack the grimness and contrast the originals had. Whatever, it's nit-picking at this point given all the problems above, but it's still a point I had to make.
  • They didn't change the retarded PSP translation. The proto/faux-Shakesperean writing is fucking unreadable. I don't care it has literal Shakespeare quotes in it (ie., Nybeth saying 'When the war is won and lost'). I don't give a fuck. I don't want to read text and dialogue that is so out of character it reads like it was run through an English-to-Yoda translator and then forced through a thesaurus. No, they don't need to be iliterate scotsmen peasants. No, it doesn't need to be shit like it was in the SNES/PSX version. Just make them talk like human beings and places read like real places. Why write Weald when you can write Marsh, or Forest? Why write Moors when you can write Hills or Mountains? Why write Abuna when you can write Priest? Retarded.

All in all we're left with a game that is a shell of its former self.

There's none of the stuff that made Tactics Ogre fun.

And seriously, fuck anyone defending these retarded, ass-backwards-into-Elder-Scrolls-Oblivion-tier design choices that remove player choice and sells itself as 'hardcore' and 'challenging' design when it's just artificial difficulty.
didnt read and i still know this post is retarded contrarian garbage lol

just sniped this part while typing this
No Class-Shared Skills:

Wrong. The class-shared skills have been implemented into the classes that could share them, since you don't need to grind an entirely different class to get access to them anymore.

1eyedking

Erudite

No Class-Shared Skills:

Wrong. The class-shared skills have been implemented into the classes that could share them, since you don't need to grind an entirely different class to get access to them anymore.

I know that there is many who cry after Reborn version of TO get cut from some bloat from PSP version but for me its opposite. The Nips didn't cut enough bloat. They should cut more. Bloat should be cut with no mercy.

LOL
LMAO, even

Enjoy your HP bloatmaxx 80+ min Dark Souls™ battles while passively waiting for the correct Buff Cards to drop—which you can realistically get the ones you want only with Canopus, Hawkmen (that you can no longer recruit in random battles, so if you missed them in easier story battles you're fucked) and Archers if they drop nearby—while you deal 20 damage to 700 HP mobs and passively praying that RNG procs the correct skill instead of deterministically using them, or using Magic Leaves (God forbid zoomers having to, like, activate things manually...). Still, you can always reload the same battle until Physical Damage and Criticals drop near you to suddenly make a fight that was previously a slog 10x easier. So hardcore, so challenging... a tactical masterpiece. The definitive edition.

Also remember to play exactly the way devs intended because if you minimally rush bosses they will have temporary buff cards to one-shot you, so you better slog through all the trash mobs with 900 HP and enjoy the epic 120+ gazillion minutes battles while you tactically collect them Buff Cards™. Gotta catch 'em all™!

As for shared skills I don't really give a fuck how it is they made it with end-game classes, I had enough of this shitshow by Chapter II, but all I know is that when I switched from Warrior to Berserker in the PSP version I could keep Field Alchemy, Anatomy, Strengthen, Truestrike, Fortify, and a *bunch* of other skills, while here you can at most keep your weapons and one generic HP/MP skill.

PS: You just have shit taste and have to deal with it, kiddo.
PS2: There wasn't much grinding in the PSP version as long as you kept your equipment, skills and spells updated. I don't get why zoomers are saying the game was bloated or required grinding. PSP Tactics Ogre has always been one of the very few jRPGs to require minimal amounts of repetition. Fucking zoomers, man...

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Enjoy your HP bloatmaxx 80+ min Dark Souls™ battles while passively waiting for the correct Buff Cards to drop

if this is your experience with the game you are just baed

and this is coming from a newbie who still doesn't understand the stats

1eyedking

Erudite
Ah, yes... the 'git gud' crowd

On a dumbed down version of a game
With HP bloat to artificially extend battles
With less skill choices
With more passive gameplay

Jesus fucking Christ, man... :lol:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Battles take 5-10 minutes. Not sure what this HP bloat that you're talking about is when you can two turn bosses without any buff cards as long as you Breach them.

1eyedking

Erudite
Keep coping. Battles are a grueling slog unless you happen to get the correct buff cards along your path to the target with Canopus, otherwise prepare to fight literal 1000 HP knights that proc Phalanx/Stalwart at random because fuck TP management and RNG now is hardcore challenge/ironman/hard mode/etc.

And no, you can't two-turn bosses. Not even in the PSP version in the endgame when you had triple-hit summons and Teleport... Well, maybe when you had Teleport.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Seems like you're the only one coping hard here. If you don't like it, shame. We read your posts and now you can fuck off. Lingering here while making objectively wrong claims about the game isn't going to endear your plight.

spekkio

Arcane
That's why I love weeboo subforum. It's almost free of usual forum trolls, and even when some shows up, it's forced to either behave, or gtfo.

Which doesn't mean I agree or disagree with what 1eyedking wrote - I'm gonna play the game and check this shit out myself.

notpl

Arbiter
Yeah I just don't know what the freak is talking about. Most of the way through chapter 3 and no boss has ever survived more than two turns of combat, I ignore the buff cards unless they're directly in my path to the boss but they're fun when they proc, never done a training battle, combats are always tense with a few people getting downed by the time I clinch it. The skills he's bemoaning not being able to equip cross-class are no longer equippable because they're fucking gone, +10% damage to a specific species of enemy or +accuracy are boring passives that should be cut entirely, and they were.
On top of this the classes are vastly better balanced, every team member is useful (especially beasts, now! Even dragons!) and the level cap makes things ball-bustingly hard sometimes, Denam no longer ends up 5+ levels above everything else in the game like in the original and enemies can actually hurt him.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
unless you happen to get the correct buff cards

Honestly sounds like you have the "armor pen" problem which every noob is crying about on Reddit. Try frightening your foes (can guarantee this with Terror Knight) and you'll see your claims about supertanky unkillable knights is just not true. You cut through them like paper with proper debuffs. Buff cards can be handy but they're nothing next to Frighten or even Breached (which doesn't actually lower enemy defenses but rather boosts the damage output of anyone hitting that enemy, outcome is very similar though).

1eyedking

Erudite
I'm not making any "wrong" claims, nor trolling, the gameplay elements I mentioned are all there. The game is absolute dogshit and more and more negative Steam reviews are piling up as people start realizing the gameplay core is trash compared to the older version.

You can't kill bosses in two-turns. Once you reach them, and if you've accumulated enough MP to unleash a dervish of Finishers, yeah, they last two turns, but as for that taking two turns of the *entire* battle, no, that never happens.

As for skills, they were more subtle. The Anatomy skills had ranks, so you'd have to dedicate the slot for the entire run to get it leveled. It wasn't tied to class level like Strengthen I-IV, Spellcraft I-IV and other damage skills—it was a full-time commitment, and a unit-by-unit basis. It added way more than 10% damage against creatures at the final Rank (8th). It'd also mean you wouldn't damage other creature types as much. Anatomy for humans was great early game and they remain ubiquitous throughout, but later on other creatures start becoming way more deadly, and you'd always have to bring a dedicated Dragoon. And of course there was the Palace of the Dead... You'd also invest into an Augment Element early so as to increase the damage output of your final Finisher's element. You had to plan ahead for this. At the same time, all of these 'extra' skills consumed skill slots that you had to juggle around, and you always needed 4-5 core of them for a class to function properly. Sometimes some classes or units stopped needing the +accuracy ones: you'd drop Truestrike I-IV once you started to consistently get 100% hit chance due to the unit or class' inherent stats. Trueflight I-IV aided a ton during the early fights with bad weather—then you'd drop them as you crafted better bows. There were also some that were a case-by-case basis: you wouldn't pair up special attacks that attacked twice or two-weapon fighters with Knockback because that'd mean the second attack would swish thin air as the first one would push the enemy. Counterattack IV was great for CQC units that got into melee, but not as useful for Ranged since they only proc'd when attacked by other ranged attacks. It'd also potentially mean you'd have to drop something like Trajectory. You could also forego Meditate and Expanded Mind entirely and depend on Magic Leaves for the whole run.

Ultimately, all of these choices were all up to you, the player. Skills weren't filler. They weren't bloat. They were there for a reason and they formed the core, the bread and butter of what made Tactics Ogre great.

Sending Canopus into the fray without any defense skills meant an early grave early on. At the same time, if you didn't give him any +Attack skills, his damage output would plummet. You'd also be forced into making the choice as to whether you wanted him to be ranged or close-quarters oriented. So you had to compromise, and decide for each fight since you didn't have a enough skill points or slots for him to be jack-of-all-trades, and then again some skills required long-time development. Some skill sets and combinations allowed for some pretty fun and creative ways to handle some encounters (Clerics with lobbers and bombs, flying fortress Hawkmen, mage Ninjas, etc.), and you'd switch them around once you knew a certain encounter was coming up.

All of these nuances, decisions and fun little quirks are completely gone in this version, replaced with a bunch of patchwork design decisions in the name of 'removing bloat' and 'streamlining' the experience. It's fine by me if they want to add QoL such as crafting from equipped inventory, the auto inventory refill, giving you the option of making *some* skills go off automatically like Meditate every turn, and whatnot, but in the process—and for no apparent reason whatsoever—they absolutely butchered one of the core mechanics of the game, sucked the fun out of character building and started to patchwork everything around these designs because the new gameplay they created was filled with loopholes.

Last edited:

1eyedking

Erudite
Honestly sounds like you have the "armor pen" problem which every noob is crying about on Reddit. Try frightening your foes (can guarantee this with Terror Knight) and you'll see your claims about supertanky unkillable knights is just not true. You cut through them like paper with proper debuffs. Buff cards can be handy but they're nothing next to Frighten or even Breached (which doesn't actually lower enemy defenses but rather boosts the damage output of anyone hitting that enemy, outcome is very similar though).
What? I'm not having "armor pen" problems. What I'm having a problem with are the retarded design loopholes this new version has. You see, back in the PSP version I could know with relatively high accuracy when a Knight would proc Phalanx, because he'd be accumulating TP. In Reborn? It's random. He may or may not activate the skill—it's entirely up to chance. It also means I'd always have to bring a dedicated Terror Knight or Valkyrie with a Volgue +1 to handle them. It sucks. Let me build my party however I want. It also seems I no longer have Elemental spells that inflict status effects. There's only the ones that just do damage. Why? Who knows. Not that'd I use them, honestly, since they removed Spellstrike I-IV and now I have to gamble on coin tosses as to whether or not I'll inflict a status with a spell.

---

As for the idea that was mentioned previously that the PSP version had a lot of "grind", that is a lie. As I said, if you kept your skills, spells and gear up to date the game required minimal grinding. In fact, it's actually the opposite now: training is pretty much a mandatory thing in Reborn. Each time the level cap is increased you *have* to go through the same old boring training routine with the same old boring music track to keep up with enemy levels, because being at the level cap can add as much as +50% damage during the first few fights. You also no longer have Anatomy, Augment, Strengthen and Spellcraft skills to boost your damage, and enemies have about three times the amount of HP they once had, meaning most fights will last longer than they should unless you play the retarded Buff Card collecting minigame.

It's just a terrible remake that made terrible changes that gutted player choice at pretty much every corner.

Last edited:

Gruncheon

Savant

No Class-Shared Skills:

LOL
LMAO, even

Enjoy your HP bloatmaxx 80+ min Dark Souls™ battles while passively waiting for the correct Buff Cards to drop—which you can realistically get the ones you want only with Canopus, Hawkmen (that you can no longer recruit in random battles, so if you missed them in easier story battles you're fucked) and Archers if they drop nearby—while you deal 20 damage to 700 HP mobs and passively praying that RNG procs the correct skill instead of deterministically using them, or using Magic Leaves (God forbid zoomers having to, like, activate things manually...). Still, you can always reload the same battle until Physical Damage and Criticals drop near you to suddenly make a fight that was previously a slog 10x easier. So hardcore, so challenging... a tactical masterpiece. The definitive edition.

Also remember to play exactly the way devs intended because if you minimally rush bosses they will have temporary buff cards to one-shot you, so you better slog through all the trash mobs with 900 HP and enjoy the epic 120+ gazillion minutes battles while you tactically collect them Buff Cards™. Gotta catch 'em all™!

As for shared skills I don't really give a fuck how it is they made it with end-game classes, I had enough of this shitshow by Chapter II, but all I know is that when I switched from Warrior to Berserker in the PSP version I could keep Field Alchemy, Anatomy, Strengthen, Truestrike, Fortify, and a *bunch* of other skills, while here you can at most keep your weapons and one generic HP/MP skill.

PS: You just have shit taste and have to deal with it, kiddo.
PS2: There wasn't much grinding in the PSP version as long as you kept your equipment, skills and spells updated. I don't get why zoomers are saying the game was bloated or required grinding. PSP Tactics Ogre has always been one of the very few jRPGs to require minimal amounts of repetition. Fucking zoomers, man...

Yasumi Matsuno stared out from the 42nd floor of Square Enix Headquarters. Beautiful Tokyo lay recumbent under that vivid purpling-orange sky that sometimes settles over central Japan with a balmy, somewhat apocalyptic air in July and August. His face carried a thoughtful expression, which did not escape Ichiro the Intern. Only 21, Ichiro was delighted to have landed a Internship in prestigious Square Enix, creator of his favourite RPGs, straight out of university. And to work with Yasumi Matsuno, the genius creator of countless genre-defining classics? A feeling beyond words. Ichiro watched the furrowed brow of the great man with an anticipation approaching true reverence. What was the legend thinking?

"What do Zoomers like?" said Matsuno, breaking the silence. It was more of a spoken rumination than a real question.
"Zoomers, sir? Ah, I suppose they like Minecraft...League of Legends? That sort of thing."
"Wrong. Zoomers like Dark Souls. Always have. Ever since it was released in 2011 when they were, on average, ten years old."
"Really, sir?"
"Yes. I've studied the Zoomer, analyzed him - dissected his mind. Dark Souls is famous for it's patented "RNG Roguelike Design". That's what the Zoomers like. That - and cooldowns. Zoomers love cooldowns too. Dark Souls has lots of cooldowns."
"I never knew that, sir."
"Yes, they flip for its asinine surrogate replacement for real challenge. And, of course, its famous "80+ min battles" as well."
"Wow."
"Indeed. Here's how I see this going. We're going to make the Tactics Ogre remake like Dark Souls."
"How, sir?"
"Firstly, every boss is going to be invincible. Secondly, cards. There are going to be cards everywhere. Dark Souls is primarily a card game, not many people understand that," said Matsuno, tapping his temple and winking knowingly to Ichiro.
"And how are we going to advertise this to the Zoomers, sir?"
"We're mainly going to share advance copies with middle-aged strategy RPG enthusiasts on Youtube. This will filter down to the Zoomers somehow."
"Sir..."
"Ah, you misbelieve me, Ichiro?"
"Oh! No, sir! Not at all! It's just hard to believe..."
"Good, good, because this thing needs to sell more than the new God of War to break even."
"Sir?"
"We are a...very inefficient company, Ichiban."

1eyedking

Erudite
>PSP version fan
>probably One Vision fan
Everything is clear now. Sigh.

The PSP version didn't have retarded buff card RNG.
The PSP version didn't have retarded HP bloat.
The PSP version didn't have a retarded boss system to sub-in for 'challenge'.
The PSP version didn't have a retarded skill system.
I also happen to enjoy the SNES version, and was joking on the first post, it's just that I like the PSP one more because of the Wheel of Fortune and the better (though still shit) translation.
I haven't tried One Vision; I usually don't like mods.

What is your point?

Dark Souls is known for retarded one-shots and artificial difficulty.
Roguelikes (the bad ones) are known for retarded RNG mechanics were one encounter can go well or wrong entirely up to chance.
JRPGs are infamous for HP bloat and other mechanics that make battles last ages in an attempt to make them feel epic and grand while in reality it's just an extended whack-a-thon.
Tactics Ogre Reborn has all of these things.
And there's not a zoomer I've met that doesn't hold Dark Souls, roguelikes and JRPGs as the epitomes of game design.
Also, zoomers are known to watch streamers, regardless of their age, to form their opinions, *particularly* if they're an 'expert' source so they can surrogate such 'expertise', because god forbid them making value judgements or coming up with an opinion of their own.
I don't watch streamers. I have a very strong distaste for streaming as a concept, actually.

So your point, dear zoomer?

Last edited:

1eyedking

Erudite

So your point, dear zoomer?

Just give up, that owned you so hard it was legendary. I'm still laughing.
Sure thing.

You can proceed with the classic Reddit-tier upboat circle-jerk by the way.

So anyway I think I made my points clear, and as I said, more and more people and veterans of the game are starting to realize just how bad this new system is given how Steam reviews keep getting worse and worse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom