Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon - first-person open world RPG adaptation of Kickstarted board game - now on Early Access

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://af.gog.com/game/tainted_grail_the_fall_of_avalon?as=1649904300

It lives...and is now a first person action-RPG?

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1466060/view/5839477957799892568

ANNOUNCING TAINTED GRAIL: THE FALL OF AVALON (AGAIN :D)

Hello everyone! You already know what's coming in today's update, right? ;)

Yes, we're finally ready to show you bits and pieces of what we've been working on since we've wrapped up most of the development related to Conquest!

But before we get to the main part of today's update, let us say this: thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your faith and support. It's absolutely mind-blowing that so many of you played and enjoyed Conquest! That our first game as a studio was able to grab your attention and that you've been so kind that we're staying between 90-92% positive reviews on Steam. And, let's be honest here, YOUR opinions are the only ones that matter.

That said, we're sorry to say that we won't be able to bring more content to Conquest this year — we're planning a patch for Q1 2022 (and at least one big surprise related to the game). Still, we hope that you'll understand why we couldn't work on more stuff related to Conquest when you check out the things we've prepared for you today...

And what we prepared is the very first look at Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon.

Some of you were pretty impatient. Some even called it abandonware — but we'd like to tell you that... Well, certain things take time. If we were a "normal" game development studio, we wouldn't say a word about this game for at least another six months. We'd work on scheduling the announcement for some big event and whatnot.

But we just feel that we owe it to you, the players, to say what's happening — after all, it's your passion and support that makes it all possible. Here's our winter holiday gift for y'all :)

So, without further ado, we're really excited and terrified now... but here goes the teaser —

So... Yes! Everything about the game's presentation has changed.

At the same time: no, we're not changing the game's core. Tainted Grail will be a dark fantasy epic full of meaningful choices. Only now we're able to make it even bigger and better than ever before.

Our goals for Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon were always pretty simple: we want to honor the choices of our players and give them as much freedom as we possibly can.

b2a75aee95cece29d199c4af21deaa8e52e79258.png

We want you to be able to customize your character, live with the consequences of your in-game choices, and let you play the game any way you want. We want this game to be a proper RPG — at least our first foray into this territory. We're pretty sure we're not going to succeed with everything we want to do! :D

This means that we're not following the storyline of the board game, and we're not making you play as characters from the board game. It's up to you who you want to be in the world of Tainted Grail and how you will decide to handle the problems you'll face.

And yes, what you see now is precisely the game we always dreamt about making but its scope… made us wonder whether we can make it.

91a677628f36d9735cbc3a40517bb4674a07b8a4.png

But right now... we're really optimistic that we will. So what you see in this teaser — and we're going to show longer shots here and on our Discord — is just the start of our journey and we want to put so much more love into this game!

This means that we're currently in the really early stages of development: we have first versions of plenty of mechanics and systems, but not many of them "feel right" yet. That's going to take a while. But we just couldn't wait to show you bits and pieces of what we already have so that you know what's happening with the game!

And yes, even though the game's changed a lot and is a much bigger project than anybody anticipated, we're not changing the deal we've had with you. So all who bought Conquest before the cut-off date (27th of November 2020 on Steam and a bit later on GOG.com) are still getting The Fall of Avalon for free.

b04c5adae7511f49befa8f3bb4154ed1955636a2.png

One last thing — every screenshot you see here was taken straight from the editor, we didn’t touch any single one with Photoshop. The only “lie” is that they were taken in 4K resolution (but if someone has a monstrous machine they’d be able to get this quality). Obviously, though, we’re still so early in development that things may change! We’re doing all we can in order not to downgrade the quality of the visuals :)

In the upcoming months, we will be talking more about the game, what will be unique about it, and we'll try to prepare you for (hopefully) an amazing, epic adventure in the dark world of Tainted Grail.

Our whole team is EXTREMELY hyped to create an unforgettable adventure and we hope you'd like to join us!

Last edited:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Damn I was looking forward to this since the board game looked interesting but this announcement killed my boner

Fatty

Augur
I’m currently playing through the board game solo. It’s kind of a free roaming CYOA with possibly unique (I’m new to card battles) card battles and some resource management. You build a deck and draw cards and try to link them together. Some links are stat dependent so you need to build a deck that matches your stats and also plays well the other cards.

Most complaints about the board game are about the grinding that can be required gathering resources. I would think that might be alleviated a bit with a digital version. In order to explore you light menhirs which fade over time. Each menhir requires resources to light - food, stamina, health, wealth, magic. I wouldn’t say you are constantly replenishing them but it is a frequent thing.

I’m currently on chapter 11 of 14 or 15 I think. Story is good. Probably why some folks get annoyed with the grinding - they’d rather plow through the story. I feel like I am a bit overpowered atm but with a bad draw of cards a battle can go south pretty fast and you’ll want to flee (costs stamina and an opportunity attack from your foe). You’ll want to flee some battles anyway, the cost won’t be worth the spoils of victory.

It’s all right. I can’t think of any video games to compare it to, I’m not usually much of a CYOA person. If CYOA is your thing you’ll most likely dig it.

Red Hexapus

Learned
I’m currently playing through the board game solo. It’s kind of a free roaming CYOA with possibly unique (I’m new to card battles) card battles and some resource management. You build a deck and draw cards and try to link them together. Some links are stat dependent so you need to build a deck that matches your stats and also plays well the other cards.

Most complaints about the board game are about the grinding that can be required gathering resources. I would think that might be alleviated a bit with a digital version. In order to explore you light menhirs which fade over time. Each menhir requires resources to light - food, stamina, health, wealth, magic. I wouldn’t say you are constantly replenishing them but it is a frequent thing.

I’m currently on chapter 11 of 14 or 15 I think. Story is good. Probably why some folks get annoyed with the grinding - they’d rather plow through the story. I feel like I am a bit overpowered atm but with a bad draw of cards a battle can go south pretty fast and you’ll want to flee (costs stamina and an opportunity attack from your foe). You’ll want to flee some battles anyway, the cost won’t be worth the spoils of victory.

It’s all right. I can’t think of any video games to compare it to, I’m not usually much of a CYOA person. If CYOA is your thing you’ll most likely dig it.

I'm playing the board game with friends ATM and I think that the game should not be played by more than two players or it becomes a slog. The story and C&C are great, but the constant need for resource grind is pulling you away from the best part of the game which is the narrative.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1466060/view/3405301288262320408
Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon
Announcement
Cinematic trailer is up!
Hello everyone!

Just a super quick update for all of you who are following the game. For the past few months, we have been working super, super hard on The Fall of Avalon - so it is definitely NOT dead. If anything, it's just the opposite ;)

While we are not ready to show you more in-game footage yet (but this should happen soon-ish) - we premiered a short cinematic trailer with IGN today, just to get the setting in ;)

So, without further ado

Hope you will like it - if you do, please spread the word and share it with your friends! Cool things are coming ;)

Take care and hear you soon!

Last edited by a moderator:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
"Skyrim but made by literally anyone other than Bethesda" sounds like a dream.
Did you watch the video? It's vanilla Skyrim they're making. That means garbage melee combat and unsatisfying gameplay. And since it's made by a small indie developer it's going to be somehow worse than what Bethesda made.

samoilaaa

Educated
this guy streamed the early acces version of the game

it looks pretty good considering how early it is

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dat 8:17
:bounce:

Also this really looks like Skyrim. They got sone really nice visuals and mood in Tainted Grail card game but this looks like generic sadly.

samoilaaa

Educated
Dat 8:17
:bounce:

Also this really looks like Skyrim. They got sone really nice visuals and mood in Tainted Grail card game but this looks like generic sadly.
yeah but this is just the prologue , how much can they show in 1 hour

i really like conquest , the story is interesting and the characters really feel like they are alive not just random npcs giving you quests

Codex Year of the Donut
read before clicky: there's also individual "skills"(???), but I can't find a screenshot listing them. At one point his Theft skill goes up to 11, but I think he couldn't find it in the UI either. So I guess these are actually perks, not what it calls skills.

snapshot.jpg

samoilaaa

Educated
read before clicky: there's also individual "skills"(???), but I can't find a screenshot listing them. At one point his Theft skill goes up to 11, but I think he couldn't find it in the UI either. So I guess these are actually perks, not what it calls skills.

snapshot.jpg

yeah i think they didnt add them to the menu yet , maybe in the march EA

from their steam page

For Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon’s Early Access we are aiming to create a following experience:
  • Deliver the first full game zone, called The Horns of South
  • Around 15-20 hours of story-related content (split between the “main” storyline and sidequests
    but please remember that this is just a blind estimate for now
    , it’s absolutely impossible to count hours of gameplay in an open world RPG and we’ll be able to give better estimates early next year)
  • Full voice over (English only)
  • Most of major gameplay systems (there will be some we’d like to add later and some we’d like to work on together with you)
  • Good optimization
  • No serious bugs

notpl

Arbiter
The main problem is just that this is obviously never going to come out. How many years in and they are just now talking about the possibility of maybe having a chapter 1 completed? And history shows us that early access is generally the period where indie game development stalls out, rather than increasing its pace. So, ideally, there will be an actual feature-complete game to play... 2030? 2035? It's impossible to even take an interest.

pickmeister

Learned
These Poles don't work for free, I tell ya. They'll wait for the crowdfunding campaign to rake in a ton of cash and eventually deliver after the 100th deadline extension. Just like with their board games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom