Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Taking Care of Business - 2020

Discussion in 'Iron Tower Studio' started by Goral, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Goral Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7822.0.html
    :salute::salute::salute:

• Salute x 19
    • Brofist x 4
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • :( x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Goral Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Seeing that you're not getting a lot nowadays from selling AoD and DR I really hope that you will finish this project without cutting too much content or receiving outside help (that would have a huge price attached to it).

Yeah, Copper Dreams is an even better example of that. I'm sure they are developing it like crazy but so far we can't see much and people start to lose interest. You on the other hand released combat demo (to around 40 people so far but still) and it's looking and playing great and getting even better with each iteration. I'm really looking forward to Early Access, it's day 1 purchase for me.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    So far the cuts were related to animations for obvious reasons (fist attacks with spiked knuckles, combat and power gloves; plus energy cannons). We aren't planning to cut any actual content (quests and locations) even if it takes an extra year or seek outside help.

Thank you.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Vault Dweller, would it be accurate to say that your favorite part in the development process is designing the systems and mapping out the storyline?

3.5 years after a few years gathering a team, trying a different engine, etc. So I would bet 6.5 years, give or take. That is a big improvement.

^ Top  
  5. These games will keep providing revenue in the long term and your target audience increased in the last 3 years.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. It's not about being optimistic, Goral. There are new players who find out those games each year, which lead to more players, etc. They have no marketing whatsoever, so obviously the process where they increase their reach will be slower. It's just logic.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Goral Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Sure but how many new customers can they get? Ill tell you, not many because it will always be a niche game for very specific audience that doesn't care about outdated graphics. Just because CS will sell better (hopefully) it won't mean that suddenly the same customers will try out AoD, the (mainly graphics) gap is just too big (not to mention that AoD won't necessarily appeal to those who liked CS, i.e. those who like sci-fi). There's also the problem of lack of media coverage, without it people will learn about it only through word of mouth (and forums) and I'm pretty sure that only the very niche audience will learn about this game and try it.

And even if some mainstream media will mention it (highly likely, especially now that it looks great and you couldn't tell it's an indie game seeing games like Wasteland 3 for example) most people will just ignore such information (on page 121, with a few paragraphs only), treating it as trivia and going back to playing Battlefield, Fallout 4 or Heroes of the Storm. Realistically, learning that some unknown company made some obscure, outdated game called "Age of Decadence" won't change much just like it was with Zen Studio doing some obscure games before Operencia or Mimimi Games doing some silly games before Shadow Tactics. Just because I liked their later products it won't mean I'll try some old ones, especially when they look this funny.

It's superficial way of thinking but this is how the world works. First impression is very important, many people are too lazy to look beneath the surface.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Since I'm the writer, my favourite part is writing quests & characters and developing the setting, but I like designing the systems, working with the artists, and helping Oscar with level design (mundane tasks scaled down to my level). I love it all, wouldn't trade it for anything. Sure, there are hard months but they fade away sooner or later and patience is truly a virtue.

Edit:

Year 1 is great and filled with enthusiasm not because designing systems and mapping out the storyline is fun (its is), but because the future is still bright, you haven't run into any problems or made mistakes, things didn't not go as planned yet, the budget hasn't been spent, etc.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 8
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. People who try CS won't do it because of the graphics. It may look eye candy to you, but it is not enough to satisfy popamole standards. On the other hand, if some of them do try because of it, then he will increase his target audience, since now he has the players who played AoD and DR, and the new graphic whore players.

Steam >>>>>>>>>>> media coverage. Most gamers don't have the habit of reading game journos. Steam will inevitably recommend this game to all the potential gamers out there. What more can you ask?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Pearass Novice

Pearass
    Hey Vince, I really appreciate you doing this year after year. You provide a level of transparency that is rarely seen, if at all. As soon as I can throw my money at this project, I assure you that I will. I know that the slog is real, but I suppose that's just the nature of development. It seems to be that way in any sort of project, really. You and your team have a distinct and clear vision; that is what is going to carry you to completion. Of this, I have the utmost faith!

I was curious, how is development on the music side of things? I'm a musician myself, and I always love to hear what soundscapes different projects have to offer. Is there anywhere to hear what's been done so far? Or, if you would ever need any help for whatever reason, I would be more than happy to lend my amateur ear/talents!

Much love to you and the rest of Iron Tower!

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. frajaq Arbiter

frajaq
    hard to get excited for a game that so far consists of a makeshift arena full of warehouse metal boxes

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. zaper Yes. Developer

zaper
    I wish Vince would hire me

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    I've spent more time playing through the warehouse than I've spent on Outer Worlds, Fallout 4, Dragon Age: Inquisition combined.

Granted, I also spent a few seconds taking a piss just now and that's also more than...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Since combat system is a foundation on which role-playing games are built, we hope that people would get excited or at least interested in the combat and character systems.

It's going well but since I''m not a musician myself I can't really comment. We're working with the same guy (Ryan) who composed most tracks for AoD. Here is what he said for a magazine interview that never got published for some reasons:

What can you tell us about the music/audio?

Obviously we are in the very early stages of composing here, but even now “The New World” offers so much in way of texture and color from which to create the soundtrack for this world. The cold and dark hue of a metal world starkly illuminated by artificial light. The fatalistic hope of people living within structured living quarters that they will never be able to leave. A world without fields or forest, but with an extended “frontier” of damaged and gang-infested compartments and decks. All of these contrasts and textures create an interesting whole that is equal parts old and new. Just the combination of a science fiction setting and the “western” theme of an endless frontier of lawless land to explore is enough to make my musical wheels really turn.

With “The Age of Decadence”, there was a clear musical voice that was created, one that eschewed from many of the prominent musical tropes of rpg games. Big epic brass and action-packed strings were largely traded for haunting children’s choirs, lonely lute plucks and cryptic whispers. From the beginning, the goal of the team has been to immerse the player in the feel and texture of the world, thus engulfing them in the story, and “The New World” will be no different in this regard. But even while bearing a similar musical philosophy to “The Age of Decadence”, the sound palette of “The New World” has me very excited. Expect synthesizers and dark, unearthly electronic sounds, but also expect a few surprises.

In the sound design realm, this project also has me very excited. Irontower Studio being a small team, sound design (ambient sound, sound effects, etc) was mainly a community effort for AOD, and thus had its limitations. For TNW, however, we have several things to our advantage. Firstly, it is being developed in Unreal Engine, which opens up the possibility of third-party software such as Wwise to be used, which gives us much more flexibility in how we can use audio in the gaming world to interact with the player and with the environment, thus creating further immersion. Secondly, and perhaps most importantly, I feel that with AOD the team was largely seeing what was possible when trying to develop the game they wanted to make, and if their goals were at all possible, given the size and experience of the team and the scope of the project. With “The New World”, and with the distribution of a successful indie in our repertoire, we now have the added assurance that we can make the game that we set out to develop, and this just empowers us to improve all elements of the game, and I feel that the audio quality will only benefit from this.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. :excellent:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2020
    ^ Top  
  16. Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Developer

Elhoim
    I guess at some point we might have to pull a Vogel and remake AoD in UE4 :P

• Funny Funny x 3
    • incline incline x 2
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I suggest a plot twist:

Remake your game in the original Geneforge engine.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    To pull a true Vogel you need to make it look worse and dumb down the mechanics while also lamenting at how limited your audience is and how old and tired you are.

• Funny x 7
    • Edgy x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. am0kgonzo Novice

am0kgonzo
    I just bought Dungeon Rats for full price instead of paying 1€ at some key seller. You better be making AoD2 at some point!

Looking forward to your Colony Shit game.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    Would you and co. consider adding them down the line? After much of the emerging issues with mechanics, balance, and bugs are solved after release?

^ Top  
  21. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    It's possible but unlikely. For example, we will add energy cannons but not as a skill but stand-alone weapons you can use, kinda like grenades which don't require a skill either. This way we won't have to add a new skill, which would requires changes to the interface, code, and combat AI. With the fist weapons, it's harder as we can't just add them without adding the corresponding skill.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Tyranicon A Memory of Eternity Developer

Tyranicon
    You're doing god's work. Lord knows why I got into gamedev. Would be making way more money and probably be less angry back at a day job.

But fuck it, it's fun, and I'd rather do this then work in a cube farm again.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Irenaeus' Vagina Novice

Irenaeus' Vagina
    Ivan (a.k.a. "prosper") truly was one of the great modelers/animators in the industry. So sad to see him go.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.