Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Taking Care of Business - 2020

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7822.0.html
Vince said:
2019 was a stressful, no good, very bad year. The loss of a friend and a team member who’s been with us since the beginning (2005) was a harsh, surreal blow, and it fell during the hardest phase of game development (hard enough even without such losses) where many indie projects (those not destined to make it) falter and fail.

Anyone who’s ever followed such projects knows how it usually goes: Year 1 - making bold promises, proudly showing concept art, weapon models, the main menu (the most important part of a game, no doubt), etc. Year 2 - the first playable, barren like a desert, noticeable drop in the team’s enthusiasm, the first wave of volunteers leaving the project. Year 3 - the grim year(s), progress slowing down to a crawl, waning support (the crowd that cheered every time a new weapon or vehicle was posted is less enthusiastic about vital but invisible things like pathfinding, functioning inventory, and object classes), more and more people leaving until only 2-3 guys remain, at which point the project enters the state of suspended animation and stays there until someone makes the final announcement.

We had a couple close calls with AoD and CSG, but we made it through our first game and we're over the hump of our second full-scale game. The purpose of this update is to take you backstage and walk you through the whole process. Maybe it would even help teams ready to throw their hats into the RPG ring prepare for the inevitable challenges ahead. Without further ado, here's a recap of how those last three years have gone for Colony Ship:

Year 1 was about Dreaming Big:

- Designing the systems (character, combat, inventory, stealth, dialogue, etc) and mapping out the storyline in broad strokes (branching main quest, locations, factions, and key players)
- Developing tools and editors, adjusting the engine to our RPG needs, building the foundation: animation system, character and item classes, grid and pathfinding, switching levels, basic AI so that combatants would know what to do, etc.
- Defining locations (concept art) and creating art assets based on the concept art (mainly time-consuming 3D models: weapons, armor, level props).

While “dreaming big” takes a backseat to far nobler tool-making, the former defines the latter and affects it in every imaginable way, making changes in Year 3 nearly impossible (without redoing half the systems).

Last year we received three publishing inquiries, one from a well-known company, which means that our humble efforts, completely ignored by the media, weren’t overlooked by publishers. To be honest, I have the same reaction to a publisher reaching out as a medieval peasant to the devil tapping him on the shoulder and inquiring if he’s in need of any assistance. Such a deal comes with limitless and exciting opportunities to get screwed, so usually I decline politely just to be on the safe side.

Among other things, the publisher offered to test our design theories (via focus groups and market research) to see if that’s what the market really wants and was surprised to hear that our ‘business model’ (for the lack of a better word) is to work our butts off for 3 years on a faint hope that our target audience would actually like it. It *is* a gamble and we were far from certain that the players would like the combat system. Tweaks and improvements are to be expected, of course, but radical changes would be nearly impossible.

The point of this story is that the design done in Year 1 sets the course for the next 3-4 years and you end up betting on a favorable outcome without any certainties. Who wouldn’t want to be an indie game developer?

Anyway, by the end of Year 1 we were right on schedule with a very rough first level and a character wearing prototype clothing and armor just to test the concept:

x_173707.jpg

Year 2: the First Playable

It takes a lot of work as you need a lot of building blocks: character and combat systems, weapon models (armor can wait but weapons can’t as they need to properly fit the combat animations), combat AI, animations (not all of course but enough to get the ball rolling), interface, dialogue system, lootable corpses, icons, and tons of small things.

The end result looks something like this:

otf3do8.png

The main structure is there but it will need a whole lot of work before anyone would call it a house. We got the first playable by the end of 2018. It had tons of placeholders but it was working surprisingly well (we did learn a lot from AoD) and we could finally play the game and see the mechanics in action.

YDdYsyL.png

In comparison it took us 3.5 years to get to this stage with AoD (when we posted the first combat video). We got there in 2 years this time around with a new and much more complex engine, but having two programmers and a dedicated 3D artist (not to mention experience) helped speeding things up.

In the future, we can probably shorten this phase to a year or year and a half, since we will have all the tools and editors, working knowledge of the engine, and all the systems. Unreal 4 is a great engine, even for a small team like ours, and it does many things in much better way than our old engine, so hopefully, we’ll never have to switch engines again.

Year 3: The Long Slog.

Mga2MsD.jpg

Year 3 is about turning the first playable into something resembling a game other people might enjoy. It may sounds like fun but the list of things you need is endless and the pace gets slower and slower since tasks get more and more complex. To illustrate, it took 4 weeks to do 4 jackets since they go on top of the ballistic vests and some armguards can be worn on top of the jackets, so there are all kinds of clipping problems to solve. Would the players appreciate such attention to details or file it under ‘meh’? Fuck if I know.

Roughly, that was our development speed this year: each item on the list took about a month. 12 months – 12 development items per category (programming, animations, assets, etc). Equippables, necessary GUI improvements such as targeting, combat gadgets, feats, dialogue working fine in the dev build but refusing to start in the first Steam build (Nick had to rewrite it from scratch – another month), and so on and so forth.

Progress generates enthusiasm, visible progress generates support from your audience, so ideally you need both, yet there inevitably comes the time (a long stretch) when visible progress all but disappears (we spent a year and a half on the combat system and posting the arena screens got old pretty fast) and invisible progress slows down to the aforementioned crawl. Months go by, tasks are slowly getting off the to-do list, yet the game looks and feels about the same. That’s when everyone’s sanity and the team’s integrity are getting thoroughly tested. That’s when Ivan died.

It’s still hard to talk about Ivan's death and even harder to think about it, so I won’t as I don’t really know what to say and how to process it. So we push forward and focus on work because it’s easier.

With his 14 years of hands-on experience, 3 years with Unreal 4, there was very little he didn’t know or couldn’t do. Finding an animator to fill in the gaps left by someone else is never an easy task, especially on a short notice. It threatened to become a major project that could have easily taken well over a year. In the end we got lucky, the work resumed, and we were able to start beta-testing the combat beta in Jan 2020.

Originally, we hoped to start combat beta in the spring of 2019 to test the mechanics and add bells and whistles as we go, but Ivan got ill and the plans got derailed as we didn’t have all the animations and wearables (body armor, jackets, coats, helmets, goggles, respirator and gas masks, hair styles). There’re only so many placeholders a player can tolerate in the initial public offering.

In comparison we started testing AoD arena demo without half the features including players’ favorite save/load so they had to ironman the whole thing for the first few months. Overall, it took us 5 years and 8 months to get to the combat demo stage, so we’re still ahead.

0vaFJuS.png

Sales numbers:

The Age of Decadence:

2013-2014 (Early Access & Direct Pre-Orders): 13,124 units – $320,157 – $24.39 avg.
2015: 20,771 – $472,869 – $22.76
2016: 48,798 – $620,914 – $12.72 (50% discount is introduced in March)
2017: 43,808 – $293,714 – $6.70 (75% off on sale events throughout the year)
2018: 27,121 – $151,786 – $5.60 (reduced the base price from $29.99 to $19.99; 60-80% off sale events throughout the year)
2019: 24,141 – $86,794 – $3.59 (reduced the base price to $14.99; 66-75% off throughout the year)

Including 48,039 copies solid in Fanatical bundles, we sold 225,802 copies.

Dungeon Rats:

2016: 13,442 units – $85,383 – $6.35 avg.
2017: 17,951 – $89,720 – $4.99
2018: 13,152 – $44,453 – $3.38
2019: 10,738 – $28,456 – $2.65

Including 26,209 copies solid in Fanatical bundles, we sold 81,492 copies. Obviously, the $115k our games generated in 2019 isn’t a lot of money to support the team of six plus 4 contractors, but Early Access is within reach now, so we should be able to make it without getting in debt.

Older posts:

Taking Care of Business - 2019

Taking Care of Business - 2018
:salute::salute::salute:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Vault Dweller said:
Last year we received three publishing inquiries, one from a well-known company, which means that our humble efforts, completely ignored by the media, weren’t overlooked by publishers. To be honest, I have the same reaction to a publisher reaching out as a medieval peasant to the devil tapping him on the shoulder and inquiring if he’s in need of any assistance. Such a deal comes with limitless and exciting opportunities to get screwed, so usually I decline politely just to be on the safe side.

Among other things, the publisher offered to test our design theories (via focus groups and market research) to see if that’s what the market really wants and was surprised to hear that our ‘business model’ (for the lack of a better word) is to work our butts off for 3 years on a faint hope that our target audience would actually like it. It *is* a gamble and we were far from certain that the players would like the combat system. Tweaks and improvements are to be expected, of course, but radical changes would be nearly impossible.
Seeing that you're not getting a lot nowadays from selling AoD and DR I really hope that you will finish this project without cutting too much content or receiving outside help (that would have a huge price attached to it).

Vault Dweller said:
Progress generates enthusiasm, visible progress generates support from your audience, so ideally you need both, yet there inevitably comes the time (a long stretch) when visible progress all but disappears (we spent a year and a half on the combat system and posting the arena screens got old pretty fast) and invisible progress slows down to the aforementioned crawl. Months go by, tasks are slowly getting off the to-do list, yet the game looks and feels about the same. That’s when everyone’s sanity and the team’s integrity are getting thoroughly tested. That’s when Ivan died.
Yeah, Copper Dreams is an even better example of that. I'm sure they are developing it like crazy but so far we can't see much and people start to lose interest. You on the other hand released combat demo (to around 40 people so far but still) and it's looking and playing great and getting even better with each iteration. I'm really looking forward to Early Access, it's day 1 purchase for me.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Seeing that you're not getting a lot nowadays from selling AoD and DR I really hope that you will finish this project without cutting too much content or receiving outside help (that would have a huge price attached to it).
So far the cuts were related to animations for obvious reasons (fist attacks with spiked knuckles, combat and power gloves; plus energy cannons). We aren't planning to cut any actual content (quests and locations) even if it takes an extra year or seek outside help.

I'm really looking forward to Early Access, it's day 1 purchase for me.
Thank you.

Deleted Member 22431

Vault Dweller, would it be accurate to say that your favorite part in the development process is designing the systems and mapping out the storyline?

Vault Dweller said:
In comparison it took us 3.5 years to get to this stage with AoD (when we posted the first combat video). We got there in 2 years this time around with a new and much more complex engine, but having two programmers and a dedicated 3D artist (not to mention experience) helped speeding things up.

3.5 years after a few years gathering a team, trying a different engine, etc. So I would bet 6.5 years, give or take. That is a big improvement.

Deleted Member 22431

Vault Dweller said:
Obviously, the $115k our games generated in 2019 isn’t a lot of money to support the team of six plus 4 contractors, but Early Access is within reach now, so we should be able to make it without getting in debt.
These games will keep providing revenue in the long term and your target audience increased in the last 3 years.

Deleted Member 22431

It's not about being optimistic, Goral. There are new players who find out those games each year, which lead to more players, etc. They have no marketing whatsoever, so obviously the process where they increase their reach will be slower. It's just logic.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Sure but how many new customers can they get? Ill tell you, not many because it will always be a niche game for very specific audience that doesn't care about outdated graphics. Just because CS will sell better (hopefully) it won't mean that suddenly the same customers will try out AoD, the (mainly graphics) gap is just too big (not to mention that AoD won't necessarily appeal to those who liked CS, i.e. those who like sci-fi). There's also the problem of lack of media coverage, without it people will learn about it only through word of mouth (and forums) and I'm pretty sure that only the very niche audience will learn about this game and try it.

And even if some mainstream media will mention it (highly likely, especially now that it looks great and you couldn't tell it's an indie game seeing games like Wasteland 3 for example) most people will just ignore such information (on page 121, with a few paragraphs only), treating it as trivia and going back to playing Battlefield, Fallout 4 or Heroes of the Storm. Realistically, learning that some unknown company made some obscure, outdated game called "Age of Decadence" won't change much just like it was with Zen Studio doing some obscure games before Operencia or Mimimi Games doing some silly games before Shadow Tactics. Just because I liked their later products it won't mean I'll try some old ones, especially when they look this funny.

It's superficial way of thinking but this is how the world works. First impression is very important, many people are too lazy to look beneath the surface.

Vault Dweller

Developer
would it be accurate to say that your favorite part in the development process is designing the systems and mapping out the storyline?
Since I'm the writer, my favourite part is writing quests & characters and developing the setting, but I like designing the systems, working with the artists, and helping Oscar with level design (mundane tasks scaled down to my level). I love it all, wouldn't trade it for anything. Sure, there are hard months but they fade away sooner or later and patience is truly a virtue.

Edit:

Year 1 is great and filled with enthusiasm not because designing systems and mapping out the storyline is fun (its is), but because the future is still bright, you haven't run into any problems or made mistakes, things didn't not go as planned yet, the budget hasn't been spent, etc.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 22431

Sure but how many new customers can they get? Ill tell you, not many because it will always be a niche game for very specific audience that doesn't care about outdated graphics. Just because CS will sell better (hopefully) it won't mean that suddenly the same customers will try out AoD, the (mainly graphics) gap is just too big (not to mention that AoD won't necessarily appeal to those who liked CS, i.e. those who like sci-fi).

People who try CS won't do it because of the graphics. It may look eye candy to you, but it is not enough to satisfy popamole standards. On the other hand, if some of them do try because of it, then he will increase his target audience, since now he has the players who played AoD and DR, and the new graphic whore players.

There's also the problem of lack of media coverage, without it people will learn about it only through word of mouth (and forums) and I'm pretty sure that only the very niche audience will learn about this game and try it.
Steam >>>>>>>>>>> media coverage. Most gamers don't have the habit of reading game journos. Steam will inevitably recommend this game to all the potential gamers out there. What more can you ask?

Pearass

Educated
Hey Vince, I really appreciate you doing this year after year. You provide a level of transparency that is rarely seen, if at all. As soon as I can throw my money at this project, I assure you that I will. I know that the slog is real, but I suppose that's just the nature of development. It seems to be that way in any sort of project, really. You and your team have a distinct and clear vision; that is what is going to carry you to completion. Of this, I have the utmost faith!

I was curious, how is development on the music side of things? I'm a musician myself, and I always love to hear what soundscapes different projects have to offer. Is there anywhere to hear what's been done so far? Or, if you would ever need any help for whatever reason, I would be more than happy to lend my amateur ear/talents!

Much love to you and the rest of Iron Tower!

Tigranes

Arcane
hard to get excited for a game that so far consists of a makeshift arena full of warehouse metal boxes

I've spent more time playing through the warehouse than I've spent on Outer Worlds, Fallout 4, Dragon Age: Inquisition combined.

Granted, I also spent a few seconds taking a piss just now and that's also more than...

Vault Dweller

Developer
hard to get excited for a game that so far consists of a makeshift arena full of warehouse metal boxes
Since combat system is a foundation on which role-playing games are built, we hope that people would get excited or at least interested in the combat and character systems.

I was curious, how is development on the music side of things?
It's going well but since I''m not a musician myself I can't really comment. We're working with the same guy (Ryan) who composed most tracks for AoD. Here is what he said for a magazine interview that never got published for some reasons:

What can you tell us about the music/audio?

Obviously we are in the very early stages of composing here, but even now “The New World” offers so much in way of texture and color from which to create the soundtrack for this world. The cold and dark hue of a metal world starkly illuminated by artificial light. The fatalistic hope of people living within structured living quarters that they will never be able to leave. A world without fields or forest, but with an extended “frontier” of damaged and gang-infested compartments and decks. All of these contrasts and textures create an interesting whole that is equal parts old and new. Just the combination of a science fiction setting and the “western” theme of an endless frontier of lawless land to explore is enough to make my musical wheels really turn.

With “The Age of Decadence”, there was a clear musical voice that was created, one that eschewed from many of the prominent musical tropes of rpg games. Big epic brass and action-packed strings were largely traded for haunting children’s choirs, lonely lute plucks and cryptic whispers. From the beginning, the goal of the team has been to immerse the player in the feel and texture of the world, thus engulfing them in the story, and “The New World” will be no different in this regard. But even while bearing a similar musical philosophy to “The Age of Decadence”, the sound palette of “The New World” has me very excited. Expect synthesizers and dark, unearthly electronic sounds, but also expect a few surprises.

In the sound design realm, this project also has me very excited. Irontower Studio being a small team, sound design (ambient sound, sound effects, etc) was mainly a community effort for AOD, and thus had its limitations. For TNW, however, we have several things to our advantage. Firstly, it is being developed in Unreal Engine, which opens up the possibility of third-party software such as Wwise to be used, which gives us much more flexibility in how we can use audio in the gaming world to interact with the player and with the environment, thus creating further immersion. Secondly, and perhaps most importantly, I feel that with AOD the team was largely seeing what was possible when trying to develop the game they wanted to make, and if their goals were at all possible, given the size and experience of the team and the scope of the project. With “The New World”, and with the distribution of a successful indie in our repertoire, we now have the added assurance that we can make the game that we set out to develop, and this just empowers us to improve all elements of the game, and I feel that the audio quality will only benefit from this.

Deleted Member 22431

Since combat system is a foundation on which role-playing games are built, we hope that people would get excited or at least interested in the combat and character systems.

:excellent:

Last edited by a moderator:

am0kgonzo

Novice
I just bought Dungeon Rats for full price instead of paying 1€ at some key seller. You better be making AoD2 at some point!

Looking forward to your Colony Shit game.

Black Angel

Arcane
So far the cuts were related to animations for obvious reasons (fist attacks with spiked knuckles, combat and power gloves; plus energy cannons).
Would you and co. consider adding them down the line? After much of the emerging issues with mechanics, balance, and bugs are solved after release?

Vault Dweller

Developer
So far the cuts were related to animations for obvious reasons (fist attacks with spiked knuckles, combat and power gloves; plus energy cannons).
Would you and co. consider adding them down the line? After much of the emerging issues with mechanics, balance, and bugs are solved after release?
It's possible but unlikely. For example, we will add energy cannons but not as a skill but stand-alone weapons you can use, kinda like grenades which don't require a skill either. This way we won't have to add a new skill, which would requires changes to the interface, code, and combat AI. With the fist weapons, it's harder as we can't just add them without adding the corresponding skill.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
would it be accurate to say that your favorite part in the development process is designing the systems and mapping out the storyline?
Since I'm the writer, my favourite part is writing quests & characters and developing the setting, but I like designing the systems, working with the artists, and helping Oscar with level design (mundane tasks scaled down to my level). I love it all, wouldn't trade it for anything. Sure, there are hard months but they fade away sooner or later and patience is truly a virtue.

Edit:

Year 1 is great and filled with enthusiasm not because designing systems and mapping out the storyline is fun (its is), but because the future is still bright, you haven't run into any problems or made mistakes, things didn't not go as planned yet, the budget hasn't been spent, etc.

You're doing god's work. Lord knows why I got into gamedev. Would be making way more money and probably be less angry back at a day job.

But fuck it, it's fun, and I'd rather do this then work in a cube farm again.

Ivan (a.k.a. "prosper") truly was one of the great modelers/animators in the industry. So sad to see him go.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom