Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Tales of Arise - Shounen trying to be deep.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Velvet > Luke, ok?
Absolutely not. Luke goes through much more personal growth and changes drastically based off of what goes on in his journey. Luke doesn't just deal with betrayal like Velvet, he has to deal with guilt too. That drives him in a much more satisfying way than Velvet running around yelling ARTORIAS! You're telling me the Luke Asch 1v1 near the end isn't the greatest tales of scene?

You're right. Velvet as a character ends up being fairly shallow development-wise, if considered without Laphicet in mind. But she's still a tsundere cutie!!!

Going back to Arise, this outfit for Shionne rocks!!!

image.png

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
You're right. Velvet as a character ends up being fairly shallow development-wise, if considered without Laphicet in mind. But she's still a tsundere cutie!!!

You're only criteria on whether one character is better than the other is how they look?

jungl

Augur
The story in this tales game is bad cringe. The main cast looks like they don't belong in the game world. Combat system is okay when not fighting trash except 99 percent of fights are trash. There lot better storyfag/action rpgs out there like star wars jedi fallen order.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The story in this tales game is bad cringe. The main cast looks like they don't belong in the game world. Combat system is okay when not fighting trash except 99 percent of fights are trash. There lot better storyfag/action rpgs out there like star wars jedi fallen order.

Might have fallen for this dogshit bait if you hadn't ruined it with that last part.

downwardspiral

Learned
So I finally finished the 2nd run.
I enjoyed it at first run and think the combat has improved.
But the more I play the higher difficulty the more I hate the combat system.

Contrary to FTG characteristics of Vesperia, Arise having more ACT style characteristics.
While in Vesperia the thing limit your damage output is mostly your combo skill as FTG.
Arise use stat and super defense to counter player's high DPS.

Not saying Arise is an easier game. It is harder than Vesperia if you don't go for those counter.
But Vesperia's combat is just giving me more freedom to play with special move and combo.
And arise higher difficulty only made me want to play normal ACT games instead.

They want to address the slow paced combat in early game in older tales.
But the combat just don't get much better in late game or higher difficulty.
They scaled player's DPS and combo too high and reduced the learning curve to get a normal combo.
But they can't think of any other better way to get boss harder to kill than having super defense.

It is a case of DPS\combo inflation in gaming.
Player complain about low damage and combo > game increase damage and combo and make combo easy without any additional input>
Player complain about boss die too quickly to high damage and combo > put super defense on boss to make them immue to easy combo.

They could have less restriction in TOV because the game put fancy combo after learning curve.
It isn't hard to learn but you won't heard most people complaining about how easy it to just mush the button to kill higher difficulty boss.
Where in arise fancy combo is open to anyone who can mush button so they need to find some way to buff the boss to avoid people complaining it is too easy.

Another big gripe I had with this game is lack of Coop gameplay.
The best part of tales series is you can play it with friends or kid. Add a lot of replay values.
It is alot of fun to play with kid as coop game but not arise.
I really don't know why they remove coop.
Not like the combat system has any elements that will conflict with Coop.

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
You have this enslaved dark dorky cringe world with generic npcs in work clothes everywhere. Then you have the main cast with their princess dress aviators that look like they transported from anime expo to the game world.

Star wars is 100x better then these low effort tranime games.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
You have this enslaved dark dorky cringe world with generic npcs in work clothes everywhere. Then you have the main cast with their princess dress aviators that look like they transported from anime expo to the game world.

Star wars is 100x better then these low effort tranime games.

I guess I have to come to the defense of this thing. Okay, faggot.
Again, you might wanna suggest something that's vastly better than sci-fi for 7 year olds before attempting to shit on 'generic anime', you worthless nincompoop.
Arise has already been heavily criticized by those of us who actually play the game in this very thread.
Go ahead and post a screenshot of your game, it's a known fact around these parts that there are certain 'agents' (of which you are one) who debase games they've never touched, been happening for at least a decade.

jungl

Augur
There not ONE tales game with stellar action combat despite being a almost 30 year old jrpg franchise about action combat... Meanwhile you got games like jedi academy which was arguably the best competitive melee fighting game in its online prime and now you have the fallen order which also shits on tales.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
There not ONE tales game with stellar action combat despite being a almost 30 year old jrpg franchise about action combat... Meanwhile you got games like jedi academy which was arguably the best competitive melee fighting game in its online prime and now you have the fallen order which also shits on tales.
This doesn't look like a screenshot of your game.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Greeting my fellow negros! If I were to purchase this game, which of the 25 reasonably priced DLC items would I need to fully enjoy my jap experience?

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Greeting my fellow negros! If I were to purchase this game, which of the 25 reasonably priced DLC items would I need to fully enjoy my jap experience?

None, they're all either cosmetic or cheat items.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Follow-up question: If I invest in the Beach Time Triple Pack (Female) for the reasonable price of $4,99 will the girls wear their swimsuits all the time or just at the beach?

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Follow-up question: If I invest in the Beach Time Triple Pack (Female) for the reasonable price of $4,99 will the girls wear their swimsuits all the time or just at the beach?

Whenever you want. They're equippable.

Never played a tales game, But I like some jrpgs. Is this considered one of the better tales games?
Kinda thinking of buying since the characters look cute.

Rafidur

Learned
What!? That +5 Level Up 3 is looking pretty good for the low, low price of $1.99.

I'd rather get the "only aoe heal for your second healer, 5$ only!". These assmonkeys tied abilities to DLC costumes.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Never played a tales game, But I like some jrpgs. Is this considered one of the better tales games?
Kinda thinking of buying since the characters look cute.

If you're looking for the pinnacle of JRPG, this ain't it. It's a quite casual game. I'm still enjoying it, but it's got balance and storytelling issues. Doesn't really matter, because it's still a JRPG and it's got a heart and soul, unlike the garbage that comes out of the west.

I'd rather get the "only aoe heal for your second healer, 5$ only!". These assmonkeys tied abilities to DLC costumes.

Ah right, I forgot there's costume sets that unlock ability trees. That's pretty bad.

Give me Shionne wife! Give me perfect smile wife!

Shionne is really cute!!!

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Bros, how do I beat earth spirit temple? Just seems like a massive dungeon grind. I made it to the boss, but yeah... it's 20 levels above me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom