Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Tales of Arise - Shounen trying to be deep.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Bros, how do I beat earth spirit temple? Just seems like a massive dungeon grind. I made it to the boss, but yeah... it's 20 levels above me.
Beat the game,then grind. It's a jrpg. what did you expect?

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Bros, how do I beat earth spirit temple? Just seems like a massive dungeon grind. I made it to the boss, but yeah... it's 20 levels above me.
Beat the game,then grind. It's a jrpg. what did you expect?

I hope Hootle smites you out of this world for suggesting I leave a quest unfinished.
Anyway, have you gotten to this point in the game? Can you port back once you
leave for Lenegis?

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Rean
Once you finish the game you get a save right before the final boss and you're free to fast travel anywhere you want. There's a bunch of post-game content too. You'll lose the ability to return for a little bit but you get it back before the final dungeon

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Rean
Once you finish the game you get a save right before the final boss and you're free to fast travel anywhere you want. There's a bunch of post-game content too. You'll lose the ability to return for a little bit but you get it back before the final dungeon

Ok, cool! I'll move on with the main story then.

I haven't played a Tales game in forever, so decided to give this one a go.

Japness is too off the charts for me, I just can't. I can take a moderate level of japness like Ys 8 (the soundtrack helps), but this is just too much. I feel like I need to be 25 years younger to enjoy something like this.

Jormundgander

Novice
I haven't played a Tales game in forever, so decided to give this one a go.

Japness is too off the charts for me, I just can't. I can take a moderate level of japness like Ys 8 (the soundtrack helps), but this is just too much. I feel like I need to be 25 years younger to enjoy something like this.

I am and I did not enjoy it one bit. Uninstalled.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Law was fairly annoying at the start, but he's really grown on me as a decent companion. Nice and grounded in dialogue and banter. That's good character development.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Lenegis is an awesome chapter. Honestly, this just gets better and better.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Pasting this comment I made elsewhere about the best way to enjoy Tales of Arise:

Play Tales of Arise on PC, because on PC you can use this mod https://www.nexusmods.com/talesofarise/mods/5?tab=description to disable the built-in Sharpening Filter that the devs put in the game which ruins the graphics. The game's default Sharpening Filter causes moire, noise and aliasing and shimmering, and makes everything look deep-fried. With the filter disabled via the mod (read the comments/instructions, you have to change a value in the mod's .ini file to '0') the game looks absolutely stunning, with zero aliasing or shimmering.

It's mind-blowing how beautiful this game looks once you disable the awful Sharpening Filter that the devs put in, it looks like a beautiful work of art once you disable it. With the Filter disabled this is honestly one of the most stunning games I've ever laid eyes upon, and entering Trisalda Highway was a joy. Please, disable the Sharpening Filter as soon as possible, enjoy this game without noise, shimmering or aliasing. It's fucking beautiful.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
upload_2021-12-17_1-0-34.png

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
New SAO outfits are boring as fuck.
Hootle attachments are cute.

image.png

image.png

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I put eyeglasses on Rin, and cat ears on Shionne.

Oh, and a Hootle on top of Dohalim's head.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
upload_2021-12-23_3-0-34.png

Done. Really fun lategame, and I'm happy about the cheesy ending, which is something that emo Berseria shied away from.
Despite the shortcomings, I ended up loving Arise, as it often happens with JRPGs.

Last edited:

dacencora

Thoughts a few weeks after completing it. There was a lot I liked about it, but I think at the end of the day, it went on a little too long. I really liked the characters, but the amount of skits in the last portion of the game broke the pacing too much. The combat system was really pretty fun but the enemy variety was sadly a little lacking, and some of the bigger enemies weren't very fun to fight because they were just too tanky. The big fat ones with the big hammers were the worst offenders and the last area had a ton of them lol. Too much, man. But overall, I really enjoyed the happy ending and it was definitely something I'll remember.

EDIT:
Also, the skits a lot of times left something to be desired. In many cases, they just rehashed what just happened seconds ago in the big cutscene. It was like the writers wanted to make sure you were following the story. Many times they didn't add any further characterization, they just again summarized what just happened.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I didn't really have a problem with the game's pacing or length.

Also, I assume everyone completed the series of lategame fights for the researchers? Those were pretty fun. :D

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Remove this "trying to be deep" shit from the thread title, the game has a very conventional, even cheesy storyline and at no point really tries to be deep. Which is in direct, stark contrast to Berseria.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom