Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Tales of Arise - Shounen trying to be deep.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Shionne is a qt. None of the main cast are annoying, really.

I played about 10 hours of this and my god what a slog it was. This has some of the most boring plot, cast of characters, and general writing out of any RPG. Hard to think it's from the same series as Berseria. What a disastrous disappointment. Goes without saying, I dropped it.

Sentinel

Arcane
I played about 10 hours of this and my god what a slog it was. This has some of the most boring plot, cast of characters, and general writing out of any RPG. Hard to think it's from the same series as Berseria. What a disastrous disappointment. Goes without saying, I dropped it.
What makes berseria different?

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Arise and Berseria are two very different games. That's not to say either one is bad.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Shionne is a qt. None of the main cast are annoying, really.
They’re not the most memorable cast of all time but they’re pretty decent. They had really decent arcs that were well formed.
I'm pretty much this on Arise cast. Also the first time in a long while that I didn't want to punch several Tales main charachters in the face for being just awful (*starting with that fucker and sad excuse for a main charachter Jude in Xillia). Likeable enough, there were decently executed arcs and personalities that fit.

I do very much like Velvet, but it's a different matter when it comes to some of the other cast. Overall, Berseria's ok, but it still suffers from a lot Arise corrected. Which is why I prefer Arise. (Though Arise has some downsides on its own as well that hasn't worked out nearly as well.)

*My hate for Xillia knows no bounds.

Last edited:

cross1993

Barely Literate
Arise and Berseria are two very different games. That's not to say either one is bad.
you mentioned how berseria story have "dark" or "deep" elements, do you mean that in a good or a bad way? (as in did the game successfully manage to do a "dark deep" story or did it fall short in your opinion?)

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
you mentioned how berseria story have "dark" or "deep" elements, do you mean that in a good or a bad way? (as in did the game successfully manage to do a "dark deep" story or did it fall short in your opinion?)
It's not bad, perhaps a bit over-the-edge sometimes.
A lot depends on how much you'll end up liking Velvet (the protagonist). She's pretty much where most of it stems from, although the setting itself is steeped in some pretty twisted stuff.

Arthandas

Prophet
The only Tales game I've played is Vesperia and I hated it. Even though I started on the hardest difficulty it quickly devolved into braindead mashing and my party members could win standard fights even without my input.
Is ToA any different?

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'm gonna have to reinstall. I honestly thought they wouldn't release DLC for this one. :negative:

deama

Prophet
Does this thing have romance? I can see a male and a female?
Romance any good? I'm looking for something actually good rather than female gets kidnapped, male has to save her (or vice versa).

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Romance any good? I'm looking for something actually good rather than female gets kidnapped, male has to save her (or vice versa).

It technically has romance, but not in the Bioware fashion where you pursue your favorite harem option.
This is completely linear and very traditional, if you're into that.

deama

Prophet

It technically has romance, but not in the Bioware fashion where you pursue your favorite harem option.
I don't mind the choice part much.
What does the romance involve? Can you do like a very quick summary of the romance?

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

What does the romance involve? Can you do like a very quick summary of the romance?
Story is written with the 2 main characters meeting, story, story, they lived happily ever after. No choice at all.

deama

Prophet

Story is written with the 2 main characters meeting, story, story, they lived happily ever after. No choice at all.
Yeah but like, do they interact with each other in a romantic fashion a lot or none at all? Does it feel more like a "friendship" but they both happen to be male/female?

Ravielsk

Magister
It's mind-blowing how beautiful this game looks once you disable the awful Sharpening Filter that the devs put in, it looks like a beautiful work of art once you disable it. With the Filter disabled this is honestly one of the most stunning games I've ever laid eyes upon, and entering Trisalda Highway was a joy. Please, disable the Sharpening Filter as soon as possible, enjoy this game without noise, shimmering or aliasing. It's fucking beautiful.
I am legitimately convinced that people working with Unreal Engine must all have damaged eyesight because almost every single game on UE4 or UE5 I had the displeasure of installing uses these sorts of utterly retarded filters layered on top of each other. They literary make the game look like its perpetually running at sub 720p resolutions regardless of the settings. Freaking Tales of Xillia looks better on PS3 than Arise looks on my PC at 1080p simply because everything is both oversharpened and covered in that disguising waterpaint shader.

Lords of the Fallen did the same thing and it also looks absolutely pukeworthy. What even is the point of using the latest tech if then you slap on filters that make it look like its running at 480p.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom