Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Tales of Illyria Series for Android

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Little Killerz, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Little Killerz Little Killerz Developer

Little Killerz
    Tales of Illyria is now available on Google Play & Amazon App Store.

Tales of Illyria is a party based RPG hybrid mixing Oregon Trail and Choose Your Own Adventure game mechanics. Each party member has a distinct personality, reacting differently to being sick, running out of supplies or decisions that go against their alignment. Combat is tactical but extremely fast both in real time, and turn based - Issue orders to your party or let the AI do the work.

Like having a dungeon master in your pocket!

Read the reviews...

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Data4 Arcane

Data4
    Wrong forum.

This should go in the "RPG's for Mobile Devices" forum.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Modron Arcane

Modron
    Sound effects really remind me of exile wonder if they came out of some kind of pack.

^ Top  
  4. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    For a moment you scared me into thinking we actually have that.

By the way are they planning on getting sued by Nintendo?

^ Top  
  5. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    That's a REALLY bad name, I came here confused this was about one of the Namco games, like Tales of Xillia...

^ Top  
  6. Fens Ford of the Llies

Fens
    i remember the kickstarter thread we had for this one (here you lazy bastards)... has anything changed since then ?

^ Top  
  7. Little Killerz Little Killerz Developer

Little Killerz
    Hi Guys,

We can't get sued for using the word Tales in our name they don't own the word plus there is way too much prior art, "Tales of the Arabian Nights" remember that one.

Fens the KickStarter campaign ended over a year ago. Since then we hired 6 writers and I put 60 hours a week in to improving the game. So saying its been massively improved is an understatement. When the Kickstarter came out there was maybe 10k words of content now there is 300K words.

I'm telling you guys its a GREAT game! People play it over and over. It has stellar reviews. If you have an Android device you should check it out. Oh don't download if your idea of an RPG is smashing crates, you will be very unhappy.

Thanks,
    Chad

^ Top  
  8. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    11/10 THIS IS GAMING'S TRUE CITIZEN KANE MOMENT :salute:
    (but seriously, that wasn't a very good argument to post around here)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe

Is not about evil Namco suing you, is about no one recalling your name, or people like me thinking it's a jRPG...

^ Top  
  10. FuelBlooded Scholar

FuelBlooded
    Won't run on my Sony Xperia Arc S :(

^ Top  
  11. Little Killerz Little Killerz Developer

Little Killerz
    Ok that's fair. I think my best argument is that is probably the closest you'll come to playing table top D&D on a phone or tablet. The game never bogs down, you don't get lost, battles are fast and fun, and no two encounters a are a like. Do you like choices in your RPG? Well you'll be making 10 a minute! Do you like being an evil prick and cut down innocents, you can do it, and you'll be rewared for! Do you want to sell your soul, go for it! Do you want free some slaves or take a bribe from their master? Do you want to save a crippled bird or smash it? A peasant recognizes you, do you kill her before she can yell for the guards or do you deal with the guards?

^ Top  
  12. Little Killerz Little Killerz Developer

Little Killerz
    FuelBlooded,

Its a 4.0+ game is your device running 4.0? When you say wont run, what do you mean exactly? Does the installer start?

Thanks,
    Chad

^ Top  
  13. Little Killerz Little Killerz Developer

Little Killerz
    Fel good points about the name.

^ Top  
  14. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    That's all fine and all, but can you enslave entire nations with necromancy? Because that would be a deal breaker for me if you can't.

Show Spoiler
    10 choices a minute? Is this going to be a new promotional thing, by the way? "Our new game has upped the ante on the choices per minute front significantly, reaching a never before seen 24.6 cpm (in a controlled environment) ". And what about consequences per minute, do you have a number for that also?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Little Killerz Little Killerz Developer

Little Killerz
    LOL! Evdk, unfortunately our game engine falls short on the "be able to enslave the world with necromancy" feature.

^ Top  
  16. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    Any Codexers played this one? Android is pretty devoid of good games compared to iOS so I might give this one a spin.

^ Top  
  17. Little Killerz Little Killerz Developer

Little Killerz
    Hi Oscar,

Give it a go if you don't like it I'll give you a refund. Be sure to get the latest from Google Play because most of the APKs laying around the internet are really out of date.

Thanks,
    Chad

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    I've been distracting myself enough from exams as it is but I'll buy it in a week or so and post some impressions. Last Android game I got (Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land) was very good but deleted all my save games over some verification problem (I bought it fair and square). I still feel shafted that there's no Android version of King of Dragon Pass.

^ Top  
  19. Little Killerz Little Killerz Developer

Little Killerz
    Great Oscar, I'd like to get the opinion of a Codexer! You won't get any of that funny business from us we ar DRM free. We also give refunds to any unhappy customers. However we never have to issue any refunds!

^ Top  
  20. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    I've suck about four hours into this and it is actually pretty darn good. A few points and impressions:

- Kudos on the 100+ page manual! It's always nice (and far too rare nowdays) to see a lovingly crafted manual. It gives an Arcanum-esque rundown of the setting and lore from the point of view of a scholar (with his own opinions and views). Distracted me from the somewhat odd name (when I first heard about this game I thought it'd be a historical RPG with you defending Illyria from Romans or something).

- I'm usually very loathe to trust auto AIs but this one does a good job for easy and even moderately hard battles, being fairly sensible in things like healing party members with the lowest health and buffing at the beginning of battles. It (and the enemy) AI don't really seem to understand the concept of focusing fire on a single target though (most of my intervention with the AI is ordering melee fighters to focus on the same front line target). Overall the system works, and battles are suitably fast paced.

- The graphics are beautiful. The environments you travel through look great, reflecting the seasonal and weather conditions. The overall art design is pleasant as well, with a realistic and plausible tone. No spiky-haired 14 year olds and dainty girls swinging swords larger than their bodies here. Audio is also solid.

- Funnily enough like the last rpg I played, Expeditions: Conquistador, also had party management, skill checks and survival mechanisms. Things are fairly similar here with party members acquiring injuries due to being knocked out in battle or events. Running out of food or making decisions party members disagree with can lower your morale, while maintaining good conditions (and a steady flow of wine) helps keep the party happy and healthy. There is also a karma meter, and while the universe is hardly grimdark (nicely in the middle actually) choices aren't always black-and-white or obviously straight-forward. These factors mean that fights that would usually be a walk in the park can be a lot harder with your party starving, ill, wounded and hating each other's guts.

- Despite the large manual I was still left a bit uncertain about game mechanisms. For instance, do horses make the party travel faster or simply aid in carrying weight? Does the whole party need to be riding to go faster or is overall movement speed increased from a single horse? What's the difference between a 5% comfort saddle and a 20% one? Or cloth and plate protection? Or smashing and piercing damage? As going through a manual (I still couldn't find the answer to my horse-related questions there) is fairly inconvenient on an Android some in-game explanations would be useful. Or a more comprehensive tutorial.

JarlFrank or Jaesun, this game is definitely a fully-fledged RPG (I was surprised as well) despite its smart-phone orientation. This topic might get a bit more (deserved) attention in the classic RPG section.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  21. Little Killerz Little Killerz Developer

Little Killerz
    Hi Oscar,

I really appreciate you giving the game a chance & the positive review. Let me try to address some of your questions.

AI....

1. You probably know this but you got a lot of latitude on AI. You can per character turn it off, balance attacks & buffs, buff only or attack only. You can also have the AI ignore a particular skill.
    2. The AI evens targets out. I felt it was important for the AI not to do cheap things like attack a sinlge target or target your healers.

Weapons...

Click on the attriubtes like Hacking, Piercing etc... to get more info true for all equipment

Parry - this is a bonus to parrying
    Finesee - this is how light and well balanced the weapon is giving you + to your hit rolls
    Hacking - chance to cause bleeding
    Pierce - chance to do double damage
    Smash - reduces armor by this percentage

Armor...

The material types are used in calculating - armor rating, weight, & cost.

Horses...

Horses allow you to carry more supplies, some horses can carry more
    Horses allow you to travel faster, some horses are faster than others
    You can only travel as fast as your slowest party member - so if you have a character on foot or on a slow horse that's as fast as you can go.

Saddles...

Saddles allow you to ride faster without a morale hit. Again if one character has a crappy saddle he will take a morale hit while the others will be happy.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Yes! Any chance we could of getting more exposure on the Codex!?!

Thanks,
    Chad

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Do you plan on porting this to the PC?

^ Top  
  23. Little Killerz Little Killerz Developer

Little Killerz
    Yes! As its written in Java porting to the PC will be one of the easiet ports to make.

We have our writers working on the sequel which should be out in 6 months
    In the mean time I'll be working on the ports, I expect it to take 1 to 3 moths. I'm going to use Libgdx which is a cross platform Java game engine. I'll be sure to let you know when a PC port is available.

Chad

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Kirkpatrick Arbiter

Kirkpatrick
    This sounds a bit bizarre. You want AI that is more competent, not less.

^ Top  
  25. Little Killerz Little Killerz Developer

Little Killerz
    The AI was first developed for the enemies. Technically it would be easy to program the AI to pick a single target, attack till dead and rinse and repeat. It just doesnt make for very intersting combat even though many players will play this way myself included.

I could develop an AI for your party that works more like a human player, concentrating on a single target, starting at lowest HP. If I get a lot of requests for this I could add it as an AI option.

Thanks,
    Chad

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.