Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tales of Illyria Series for Android

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
In casual mode, you can definitely save anywhere, which is how I play since I can only play in short sessions (ten minutes here, a half an hour there, etc). Even in casual mode, the game is quite challenging. I haven't finished the game yet because I don't game very often on my tablet (though this game has been the rare exception to that rule) and typically game on my PC. A PC version of this with some better options would probably take up a lot of my time.

gromit

Arcane
Too bad I'm stuck with Android 2.3 on my phone :-(
I'll take this opportunity to give another little shout-out to Dweller, though it's starting to need more content in a bad way. It, Knights of Pen & Paper, and this one, seem to be the only ones with the combination of hearts in the right places, and good UI. (Gurk will work on your phone, too, but the interface / display is clinically retarded.)

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
@mindx2 yeah we did a sale to increase market position. The market rewards botttom of the barrel pricing. This way we can get more people playing the game at about the same revenue. We will probably use this episode to establish an audience and keep to a higher price point with the sequels.

Thanks,
Chad

oscar

Arcane
I felt like a got a lot of bang for my buck with the previous pricing. Now any Codexer with an Android owes it to themselves to get this.

Alchemist

Arcane
Been eyeing this for a while - now with the lower price I couldn't resist, so I've just bought it. Looking forward to checking out!

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
I'm also grinding on the roads back and forth, to prepare for the barbarian challenge. Winter certainly was a challenge in its own right, I barely survived. Moneyless, injured and infected, barely leveld up. Now with spring it's gotten a tiny bit better as I don't have to buy food.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
@Merlkir Yeah Illyrian winter is rough!

Hey guys I'm leaving for Europe August 12th for a couple weeks so if I don't get back to you guys quickly that's the reason why.

Thanks,
Chad

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
I think someone mentioned that inventory management and equipping stuff is a bit tiresome, I'd second that. Lots of submenus to click through and not enough functionality where one would expect it. (like, I can't equip an item from the items menu, I have to go to the party menu and do Character->Equip->Items)
Similarly, filling up canteens is a chore. I guess it's supposed to be, but is there a reason why you wouldn't fill them up whenever you have the opportunity? Would be nice if we could set this up (automatic, semi-automatic, manual) in the options.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
@Little Killerz!!! I have a bone to pick with you!! I was all the way into the throne room fighting the Morgana(?) mage when I received a phone call and wouldn't you know it, the game throws me to the title screen after I hung up and.... THERE WAS NO SAVE FROM THE VERY BEGINNING WHEN I ENTERED THE CAPITAL CITY!!!!

:rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:

All those encounters and fights though the city and castle I now have to replay them all!!! Could you not have put in a place to save?!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
I had to replay that fight a few times from dying. Enjoyed it really.

I quite liked the 'endurance' battles in this where you had to go through multiple fights without being able to rest and heal. The final and the graveyard fight come to mind.

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I had to replay that fight a few times from dying. Enjoyed it really.

I quite liked the 'endurance' battles in this where you had to go through multiple fights without being able to rest and heal. The final and the graveyard fight come to mind.

Yeah, I enjoyed the tension it created. As each new wave of adversaries attacked (and my hit points were always low) I had to quickly cast haste so my mages could heal my fighters! It's just that I was doing soooooo well then my wife called and I was all... :rage:as I had not died yet and was looking forward to that mage battle. One of the few games where I feel that my fighters, both swordsman and bowmen, were equally useful in every battle. I needed my fighters to protect my spellcasters especially against enemy bowmen. Those suckers kept right on my spellcasters and if I wasn't careful they would go down fast.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
I could have sworn Chad put in save points on the final sequence. I had a bug send me to the beginning in play testing a long time ago, and had a similar reaction. I'll aggressively wave my finger around and give him a good talking to next time I see him!
I'm glad everyone is getting a good challenge.
Jon

mindx2

Patron
I could have sworn Chad put in save points on the final sequence. I had a bug send me to the beginning in play testing a long time ago, and had a similar reaction. I'll aggressively wave my finger around and give him a good talking to next time I see him!
Jon
No worries as I was just being Codexian in my faux-rage. :D

I finished the game tonight and all I can say is

:bravo:
Well done!

Do have a question that was kind of bugging me as those last battles were taking place. Even if my party was doing really well as far as hit points were concerned at the end of each battle I would only have 25% or less of the bar filled for the next wave of opponents. This is even if I healed my party before the battle ended. Was this by design?

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
Jon

I don't think it's a terrible thing per se. Adds a bit of tension if anything.

Overall, I think the sparse use of save points was a good thing. Overuse them and you can land players in the situation where they're autosaved into an impossible-to-win fight. It also gives losing a fight a negative consequence (having to go redo things again) rather then a painless "lol reload the fight until I get lucky".

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Originally, I wanted guys to run in and take the place of fallen foes, but that feature didn't make it into the game. This is still ideal for me, so you may see it in the future.
We made healing temporary early on so it didn't negate the need for more natural forms of survival. The idea is that the mage had to concentrate to sustain the effect. Chad made the spell effects drop immediately after the combat. It may not make sense why the mage would break concentration when they know a battle is going to happen immediately after, but it made the battles more intense, so we kept it. It wouldn't maintain the challenge if the player could just heal up the party when their was only one guy on the field for those endurance events.
-Jon

oscar

Arcane
Yeah it led to some great meat-grinder series battles where I'd lose about 1/4 of the 'natural' health every fight and have to quickly get my healers to patch everyone up.

I felt the balance between ranged and melee combat was also well-done. Archers were great for sniping squishy enemy mages. But this could also be done to you so I usually made sure to wipe out enemy archers as quickly as possible so they wouldn't get a lucky shot and take out my spellcasters.

If the AI was instructed to focus-fire on your rear healers/mages things would have been a lot more tricky. Even with the random target selection I still acquired a fair amount of KOs and injuries to critical hits from enemy archers on the healer-girl and wizard dude. I guess I could have armoured the healer girl up more but initiative is so important for her. It was a good tactical dilemma.

The only weak-chain in the party was the evil-aligned NPC. His morale was usually rock-bottom (if I had plenty of gold spare I'd buy him a prostitute) so he sorta-sucked. In future I think a bit of a rework of the NPC/alignment system could be order. The obvious solution would be to have a greater mix of NPC alignments in the party. But another could be scrap the Good-Evil system altogether and leave it entirely based upon the NPCs individual personality (pragmatic vs idealistic, open minded vs suspicious of foreigners, aggressive vs subtle etc).

mindx2

Patron
Originally, I wanted guys to run in and take the place of fallen foes, but that feature didn't make it into the game. This is still ideal for me, so you may see it in the future.
We made healing temporary early on so it didn't negate the need for more natural forms of survival. The idea is that the mage had to concentrate to sustain the effect. Chad made the spell effects drop immediately after the combat. It may not make sense why the mage would break concentration when they know a battle is going to happen immediately after, but it made the battles more intense, so we kept it. It wouldn't maintain the challenge if the player could just heal up the party when their was only one guy on the field for those endurance events.
-Jon

That explanation helps this not "bug me" anymore. I was just frustrated as I didn't know why it kept reducing after each battle. Now that I know the design decision behind this (and it wasn't a bug) it makes sense, just wish this was explained somewhere or in-game. That is the one area that I feel needs to improve is giving me more info on the mechanics. I don't need it spelled out but maybe some kind of in-game explanations would be nice. Another reason I would love to have a boxed copy of this with the Codex and map!! I also like your idea to have more opponents running in to replace fallen foes as that would add more tension to the battles. :thumbsup:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Similarly, filling up canteens is a chore. I guess it's supposed to be, but is there a reason why you wouldn't fill them up whenever you have the opportunity?
The odds of catching dysentery is probably why canteens have to be filled manually.

I just bought it yesterday and it definitely looks like I'm gonna get my money's worth. I was gonna wait for the sale to end but then I got it out of sheer impatience. :oops:
The only complaint/suggestion I have is to ask if it's possible to make food more expensive, the more you buy of it, as in, 2 gold for every ration of food you buy above 50 rations and so on. The way it is right now, it seems pretty easy to stock up on large amounts of food and that really makes travel a shade less worrisome, especially with food not seeming to get spoiled. I haven't really gotten far in the game as yet, and haven't really had to travel a very long distance, so this is only my initial impression where supplies are concerned. I am otherwise enjoying the game, so :bro: to you guys for making it.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
I don't have a good excuse for either of those things. I do most of the creative direction and design, but it becomes final with Chad. I give him art, and lay out my vision for the game design. For this game, we brought on writers, and they chime in now too with some decisions. Chad decides the most economical way to implement the ideas, and ultimately gives you the final cut.
I wanted a fill all option for water, and longer healing in camp, so you were more likely to run out of food. I can't speak for Chad, and I don't remember why he never implemented the fill all button. I remember everyone liking it.
The longer heal times was probably ignored for too long, and would have required too much time to rebalance resources by the time he got around to implementing it. There are random events were some of your food gets spoiled if you have over 100 rations though. In the future, I will push this issue, maybe in the following ways.
1. Thieves steal food if your scouting check is not passed.
2. You have to avoid a natural disaster.
3. A disease outbreak, and have to take a longer route to your destination.
4. Longer heal times.
5. More spoiled food events.
6. Famines, our a poor harvest in villages, causing them to raise prices.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't have a good excuse for either of those things. I do most of the creative direction and design, but it becomes final with Chad. I give him art, and lay out my vision for the game design. For this game, we brought on writers, and they chime in now too with some decisions. Chad decides the most economical way to implement the ideas, and ultimately gives you the final cut.
I wanted a fill all option for water, and longer healing in camp, so you were more likely to run out of food. I can't speak for Chad, and I don't remember why he never implemented the fill all button. I remember everyone liking it.
The longer heal times was probably ignored for too long, and would have required too much time to rebalance resources by the time he got around to implementing it. There are random events were some of your food gets spoiled if you have over 100 rations though. In the future, I will push this issue, maybe in the following ways.
1. Thieves steal food if your scouting check is not passed.
2. You have to avoid a natural disaster.
3. A disease outbreak, and have to take a longer route to your destination.
4. Longer heal times.
5. More spoiled food events.
6. Famines, our a poor harvest in villages, causing them to raise prices.
As I mentioned, I have not taken any particularly long trip, so it might be that excess food balances itself out in the long term. I've been moving with 100+ food for a while now, and never encountered the event where they spoil. Do you think it'll be possible to station a watch while camping for some bonus to scouting and a penalty to scouting otherwise?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom