Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tales of Illyria Series for Android

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Tales of Illyria is now available on Google Play & Amazon App Store.

Tales of Illyria is a party based RPG hybrid mixing Oregon Trail and Choose Your Own Adventure game mechanics. Each party member has a distinct personality, reacting differently to being sick, running out of supplies or decisions that go against their alignment. Combat is tactical but extremely fast both in real time, and turn based - Issue orders to your party or let the AI do the work.

Like having a dungeon master in your pocket!

Read the reviews...

Fantastic! Absolutely stunning, just completed my first play through and about to start my second. The depth of the storyline is very impressive and I loved the codex to read through while downloading. The game play is immersive and entertaining.

Amazing! This is without a doubt, THE most amazing game you can get for your android device thus far. The beautiful hand drawn style is perfect for that pen and paper feel, without it actually being it. I enjoy how the battle is automated if I don't feel like doing that myself.

GAME OF THE YEAR!!! I wouldn't have believed it about 2 weeks ago but the minute I bought this game and immersed myself into the storyline and fantasy, I just knew this was going to be a special game.

A really very loving and clean sophisticated RPG ... the game is worth every penny!

One of the best! Seriously, this is a hidden gem on the Google play store. Great story, random events, character development, a good/evil system, combat all mixed into Oregon Trail style Gameplay. It works wonderfully. Almost everyday I have a new patch to download providing bug fixes and content additions. Replay value is through the roof! These guys hit a home run with this game. Keep up the great work devs and thank you SO much for staying away from IAPs. They are terrible!

Best rpg on AndroidI have been looking for something like this at least for one year.

A "real" game.The hours of love, passion and dedication that made this game make all the half-baked freemium crap flooding the marketplace absolutely pale in comparison. The first mobile game I actually play at home, opposed to just on the bus or outside.

If you liked Oregon trail as a kid you'll love this rpgBrings back memories of Oregon trail as a kid plus makes it interesting that its not... Sucks me in just being able to say... Eh why take the short cut I'm gonna walk all over this map!

I'm very impressed with what I've seen in game and as well as the level commitment the developers have shown in communicating with their customers. I've been gaming for 20 or so years and this game brings a very new concept to the table. A solid mix of the Remade Kings Bounty and Oregon Trail as well as an extremely open world feel. Hands down this is one of the most original hand held games I've ever played.

Modron

Arcane
Sound effects really remind me of exile wonder if they came out of some kind of pack.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Hi Guys,

We can't get sued for using the word Tales in our name they don't own the word plus there is way too much prior art, "Tales of the Arabian Nights" remember that one.

Fens the KickStarter campaign ended over a year ago. Since then we hired 6 writers and I put 60 hours a week in to improving the game. So saying its been massively improved is an understatement. When the Kickstarter came out there was maybe 10k words of content now there is 300K words.

I'm telling you guys its a GREAT game! People play it over and over. It has stellar reviews. If you have an Android device you should check it out. Oh don't download if your idea of an RPG is smashing crates, you will be very unhappy.

Thanks,
Chad

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
We can't get sued for using the word Tales in our name they don't own the word plus there is way too much prior art, "Tales of the Arabian Nights" remember that one.
Is not about evil Namco suing you, is about no one recalling your name, or people like me thinking it's a jRPG...

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Ok that's fair. I think my best argument is that is probably the closest you'll come to playing table top D&D on a phone or tablet. The game never bogs down, you don't get lost, battles are fast and fun, and no two encounters a are a like. Do you like choices in your RPG? Well you'll be making 10 a minute! Do you like being an evil prick and cut down innocents, you can do it, and you'll be rewared for! Do you want to sell your soul, go for it! Do you want free some slaves or take a bribe from their master? Do you want to save a crippled bird or smash it? A peasant recognizes you, do you kill her before she can yell for the guards or do you deal with the guards?

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
FuelBlooded,

Its a 4.0+ game is your device running 4.0? When you say wont run, what do you mean exactly? Does the installer start?

Thanks,
Chad

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ok that's fair. I think my best argument is that is probably the closest you'll come to playing table top D&D on a phone or tablet. The game never bogs down, you don't get lost, battles are fast and fun, and no two encounters a are a like. Do you like choices in your RPG? Well you'll be making 10 a minute! Do you like being an evil prick and cut down innocents, you can do it, and you'll be rewared for! Do you want to sell your soul, go for it! Do you want free some slaves or take a bribe from their master? Do you want to save a crippled bird or smash it? A peasant recognizes you, do you kill her before she can yell for the guards or do you deal with the guards?
That's all fine and all, but can you enslave entire nations with necromancy? Because that would be a deal breaker for me if you can't.

10 choices a minute? Is this going to be a new promotional thing, by the way? "Our new game has upped the ante on the choices per minute front significantly, reaching a never before seen 24.6 cpm (in a controlled environment) ". And what about consequences per minute, do you have a number for that also?

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
LOL! Evdk, unfortunately our game engine falls short on the "be able to enslave the world with necromancy" feature.

oscar

Arcane
Any Codexers played this one? Android is pretty devoid of good games compared to iOS so I might give this one a spin.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Hi Oscar,

Give it a go if you don't like it I'll give you a refund. Be sure to get the latest from Google Play because most of the APKs laying around the internet are really out of date.

Thanks,
Chad

oscar

Arcane
I've been distracting myself enough from exams as it is but I'll buy it in a week or so and post some impressions. Last Android game I got (Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land) was very good but deleted all my save games over some verification problem (I bought it fair and square). I still feel shafted that there's no Android version of King of Dragon Pass.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Great Oscar, I'd like to get the opinion of a Codexer! You won't get any of that funny business from us we ar DRM free. We also give refunds to any unhappy customers. However we never have to issue any refunds!

oscar

Arcane
I've suck about four hours into this and it is actually pretty darn good. A few points and impressions:

- Kudos on the 100+ page manual! It's always nice (and far too rare nowdays) to see a lovingly crafted manual. It gives an Arcanum-esque rundown of the setting and lore from the point of view of a scholar (with his own opinions and views). Distracted me from the somewhat odd name (when I first heard about this game I thought it'd be a historical RPG with you defending Illyria from Romans or something).

- I'm usually very loathe to trust auto AIs but this one does a good job for easy and even moderately hard battles, being fairly sensible in things like healing party members with the lowest health and buffing at the beginning of battles. It (and the enemy) AI don't really seem to understand the concept of focusing fire on a single target though (most of my intervention with the AI is ordering melee fighters to focus on the same front line target). Overall the system works, and battles are suitably fast paced.

- The graphics are beautiful. The environments you travel through look great, reflecting the seasonal and weather conditions. The overall art design is pleasant as well, with a realistic and plausible tone. No spiky-haired 14 year olds and dainty girls swinging swords larger than their bodies here. Audio is also solid.

- Funnily enough like the last rpg I played, Expeditions: Conquistador, also had party management, skill checks and survival mechanisms. Things are fairly similar here with party members acquiring injuries due to being knocked out in battle or events. Running out of food or making decisions party members disagree with can lower your morale, while maintaining good conditions (and a steady flow of wine) helps keep the party happy and healthy. There is also a karma meter, and while the universe is hardly grimdark (nicely in the middle actually) choices aren't always black-and-white or obviously straight-forward. These factors mean that fights that would usually be a walk in the park can be a lot harder with your party starving, ill, wounded and hating each other's guts.

- Despite the large manual I was still left a bit uncertain about game mechanisms. For instance, do horses make the party travel faster or simply aid in carrying weight? Does the whole party need to be riding to go faster or is overall movement speed increased from a single horse? What's the difference between a 5% comfort saddle and a 20% one? Or cloth and plate protection? Or smashing and piercing damage? As going through a manual (I still couldn't find the answer to my horse-related questions there) is fairly inconvenient on an Android some in-game explanations would be useful. Or a more comprehensive tutorial.

JarlFrank or Jaesun, this game is definitely a fully-fledged RPG (I was surprised as well) despite its smart-phone orientation. This topic might get a bit more (deserved) attention in the classic RPG section.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Hi Oscar,

I really appreciate you giving the game a chance & the positive review. Let me try to address some of your questions.

AI....

1. You probably know this but you got a lot of latitude on AI. You can per character turn it off, balance attacks & buffs, buff only or attack only. You can also have the AI ignore a particular skill.
2. The AI evens targets out. I felt it was important for the AI not to do cheap things like attack a sinlge target or target your healers.

Weapons...

Click on the attriubtes like Hacking, Piercing etc... to get more info true for all equipment

Parry - this is a bonus to parrying
Finesee - this is how light and well balanced the weapon is giving you + to your hit rolls
Hacking - chance to cause bleeding
Pierce - chance to do double damage
Smash - reduces armor by this percentage

Armor...

The material types are used in calculating - armor rating, weight, & cost.

Horses...

Horses allow you to carry more supplies, some horses can carry more
Horses allow you to travel faster, some horses are faster than others
You can only travel as fast as your slowest party member - so if you have a character on foot or on a slow horse that's as fast as you can go.

Saddles...

Saddles allow you to ride faster without a morale hit. Again if one character has a crappy saddle he will take a morale hit while the others will be happy.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Yes! Any chance we could of getting more exposure on the Codex!?!

Thanks,
Chad

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Yes! As its written in Java porting to the PC will be one of the easiet ports to make.

We have our writers working on the sequel which should be out in 6 months
In the mean time I'll be working on the ports, I expect it to take 1 to 3 moths. I'm going to use Libgdx which is a cross platform Java game engine. I'll be sure to let you know when a PC port is available.

Chad

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
The AI was first developed for the enemies. Technically it would be easy to program the AI to pick a single target, attack till dead and rinse and repeat. It just doesnt make for very intersting combat even though many players will play this way myself included.

I could develop an AI for your party that works more like a human player, concentrating on a single target, starting at lowest HP. If I get a lot of requests for this I could add it as an AI option.

Thanks,
Chad

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom