Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Talking to yourself is not normal

easiest and fastest way to tell the player how he should feel and think.
same situation presented by JarlFrank in his post about old tomb raider, when he confronts an old game where you were shitting your pants against infinite biocock where the protagonist tells to himself/the player "i'm totally shitting my pants and you should too, because i'm the mighty ken and you better keep sucking on my tiny prick".

J1M

Arcane
Why does nearly every protagonist talk out loud to themselves now? Who thought this was a good idea?
They are talking to the player because the average game journalist has no friends when they are sober and can't finish puzzles when they are drunk.

sosmoflux

Educated
Normies have no internal monologue and thus have no intrinsic goals. These "people" are the nu-target audience so through focus testing it is inevitably concluded that any time dialogue stops, you're losing thier attention.

Disciple

Savant
1. Lots of players hate video game protagonists who barely talk or who are essentially "mute". Game companies surely are aware of this by now.

2. It adds another layer of cues to the player. If visuals, music or diegetic sound are not enough, the developer may add one line of dialogue uttered by the player–character to give a hint or clarify something.

3. The influence of anime is probably there too.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
This was pretty much why Half Life 2 bombed - Freeman never said anything. They should have made the game more like System Shock 2 - where the protagonist articulates his feelings a bit more, like in the ending.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Tv shows should start embracing soliloquies. Have the character look straight at the camera with a spot light on them and tell me exactly what they think about what's happened

sosmoflux

Educated
I honestly believe this is the main reason why Nicolas Winding Refn's stuff is so divisive
He often lets the camera stare at characters who are clearly thinking, but saying nothing, allowing the viewer to infer meaning and place themselves into the scene
NPCs don't have this ability and thus these moments are dismissed as weird and boring to them

sosmoflux

Educated
Imagine Half Life 3
"Wha-hooo! I can freakin' control anti lions now?"
"Gman's behind me, isn't he"
"Okay, the barrels can weigh down the see-saw, that's fucking epic"

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Just because it's voiced doesn't mean the character is saying it out loud.

computergamemax1.jpg

Ezekiel

Arcane
Just because it's voiced doesn't mean the character is saying it out loud.

computergamemax1.jpg
That's not what he's talking about. Also, Max's narration didn't cut into the play as much as Nathan Drake's commentary and all those after him.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That's not what he's talking about. Also, Max's narration didn't cut into the play as much as Nathan Drake's commentary and all those after him.
Drake is an Indiana Jones knock-off, the "snakes, why did it have to be snakes" guy.

Norfleet

I'm still disappoint they didn't manage to get a Harrison Ford cameo for Snakes On a Plane to do that line.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Drake is an Indiana Jones knock-off, the "snakes, why did it have to be snakes" guy.
Wut? Indiana Jones kept his mouth shut almost the entire time he was alone. Harrison Ford had to use his facial expressions a lot to communicate what the character was feeling to the audience. Exception was the joke scene where he and Willie Scott are talking about each other in separate rooms, wondering who will cave for sex.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
This shit was so annoying in the Resident Evil 2 remake. It spoils my perception of the clean-cut rookie cop Leon to have him swearing like a sailor every time I point my damn gun at a zombie. Claire comes off as an annoying dyke with the in-game dialogue, NOT waifu material at all.

The very best game to do in-game PC dialogue is Thief. Garrett's lines direct the player, enhance the experience of a level (I probably wouldn't remember finding the pile of corpses in the cellar of the Mechanist Cathedral if not for Garrett's memorable reaction) and, most importantly, are few and far between. When Garrett talks it's like a treat. Modern PCs never shut the fuck up.

Here's an interesting question: what was the earliest game you can remember having this problem of an overly talkative PC? For me, it's Ultima: Serpent Isle. Not only is the Avatar's dialogue often badly written and cringeworthy, but it completely disconnected me from my player character. For example, in the very beginning of the game, when the entire party is caught up in the teleport storm. Typically, in such a situation, you could think of your PC as maybe alarmed, but alert and resourceful, immediately scrambling for cover, thinking about what caused the situation, and planning a solution to the problem. But instead, the Avatar is given dialogue like "WOAAAAH WHAT THE FUCK'S GOING ON THIS IS FUCKING CRAZY MAN", etc, and he comes off as dim-witted, which is a problem throughout the entire game. For me, who had been carrying the same character with the same name for 6 games, it felt like I was being robbed of my own character.

This problem is worsened severely in proceeding Ultima titles (Ultima 9 is an infamous example of this, to the point where posting examples of the U9 PC's dimwittedness has become a tired meme), but Serpent Isle is the earliest example I can think of for any game.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Also, he said "Why'd it have to be snakes?" to his friend.

FL9xdu8.jpg

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Tv shows should start embracing soliloquies. Have the character look straight at the camera with a spot light on them and tell me exactly what they think about what's happened
Francis-Urquhart.gif

Ian Richardson playing Francis Urquhart in House of Cards (1990); if you've never watched it, you should have.

Lokiamis

Learned
Dishonored 2 was the first game I had to stop playing entirely because of the protagonist refusing to shut the fuck up.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thief: The Dark Project and Thief II: The Metal Age are to blame for having such excellent voice-acting by Stephen Russell for protagonist Garrett the master thief.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63PZenT3yOA
It was used sparingly and effectively to accentuate a few special moments in the game.

Very different from the constant babbling of nu-protagonists

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom