Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Talking to yourself is not normal

Chanel Oberlin

Pineapple appreciator
Patron
I'm my only friend. Nobody else to talk to.

Tv shows should start embracing soliloquies. Have the character look straight at the camera with a spot light on them and tell me exactly what they think about what's happened
*cough*cough*
Do_you_love_me.png

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Dishonored 2 was the first game I had to stop playing entirely because of the protagonist refusing to shut the fuck up.
It doesn't help that the dialogue is all cringeworthy. "What will I have to become?" Makes Stephen Russell look like a complete hack, but it's not his fault he got handed a script written by a bunch of trannies and dykes.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

Hagashager

Educated
I read his post, taking some time to think about my response. I wasn't sure if I should try to make light of it or if I should contribute to the actual topic. Rusty didn't always make it easy. His tastes were eclectic but not always in a way I approved of. And the constant outpour of slights directed at Europeans didn't help make matters easier.

Those were my initial thoughts. There were a few more but I don't want to get into them as that would be too much work for a simple shitpost. So I decided that maybe I'll write this. Of course I had no idea how it would be received but at the very least I hoped to make someone grin at best, or at least annoy them. With my resolve duly steeled and this intention firmly in mind I began to concoct my reply.
Can I imagine this being said by a horrid 3D render of an Anime Pretty-Boy with a monotone voice? Like in Genshin Impact?

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Probably more of a correlation with intelligence leading to fewer friends rather than the talking causing more smarter.
This comment is a certified faggot moment. Yes, the reason you have no friends is because you're too intelligent...
Its true tho, the more intelligent you are, the less people will be able to get into your "wavelength". After a certain difference, your reality and thinking is too distant from the other person for easy dialogue, you will have to adapt or fail to reach them out.

I remember a quote from some rando scientist who realized Freeman Dyson talked to his fellow scientists, like normal people talked to five year olds. If scientists, who are fairly intelligent as a rule, were like five years olds to Freeman Dyson, imagine how the average person must have felt like to him.

Granted, its an extreme case, but that's an example.
I'm pretty sure you're just socially retarded but go on and demonstrate that you're so intelligent that you're far beyond everyone else in society and that all your troubles and tribulations are the result of you being a higher being than everyone around you despite having 0 accomplishments to set you apart.

You have no friends because you're too smart. You're depressed because you're too smart. You have no motivation because you're too smart. I've heard it all before and it's never rung true in any of the people that like to jerk themselves off to the sounds of their own excuses.

The communication limit is real. Obviously it isn't the only factor that impacts social relationships. If you're highly intelligent it reduces your pool of potential friends, but that's a problem that can usually be overcome with the right effort.

I had to hunt to find friends who were smart enough to be interesting, and I found them. I'm neither depressed nor unmotivated; I'm professionally and personally successful. And I can say from experience that intelligence makes it easy to be lonely.

Semiurge

Cipher
Its true tho, the more intelligent you are, the less people will be able to get into your "wavelength". After a certain difference, your reality and thinking is too distant from the other person for easy dialogue, you will have to adapt or fail to reach them out.

I used to think so, but now I'm of the mind that it's the degree of intuitiveness that determines "social wavelength". Perhaps it is related to this adaptation you mentioned, being able to think outside the box regardless of intelligence? A super-intelligent person needs to turn the abstract into something concrete for the less gifted, an intuitive person can do the opposite.

Hagashager

Educated
Being logically intelligent doesn't make you less socially competent. Social competence has a name: Emotional Intelligence. You can also call it intuition if you like.

It's very common in humans to be socially intelligent, but intellectually dimwitted and vise-versa. The important point though is that none of it set in stone.

You can make yourself smarter, or more charismatic, but it requires **work**.

boluch

Literate
The communication limit is real. Obviously it isn't the only factor that impacts social relationships. If you're highly intelligent it reduces your pool of potential friends, but that's a problem that can usually be overcome with the right effort.

I had to hunt to find friends who were smart enough to be interesting, and I found them. I'm neither depressed nor unmotivated; I'm professionally and personally successful. And I can say from experience that intelligence makes it easy to be lonely.
Friendship is not about intelligence. Neither is it about how interesting your friends are. It is about brotherhood and social interplay. Kinship and fulfillment. Like pieces of puzzle. Bread and butter. Sky and stars. Wheel and tire. Man and woman. Pride and Prejudice. Tom and Jerry. Bed and breakfast. Duck and cover. Rock and roll. Eat shit and die. Hide and seek.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Social ineptitude is less related to intelligence than the extent to which the individual is constipated, and their overall lack of digestive health.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Talking to yourself is perfectly normal, a way to communicate with gods, a vestige of the bicameral mind

J1M

Arcane
Probably more of a correlation with intelligence leading to fewer friends rather than the talking causing more smarter.
This comment is a certified faggot moment. Yes, the reason you have no friends is because you're too intelligent...

I remember a quote from some rando scientist who realized Freeman Dyson talked to his fellow scientists, like normal people talked to five year olds. If scientists, who are fairly intelligent as a rule, were like five years olds to Freeman Dyson, imagine how the average person must have felt like to him.

Granted, its an extreme case, but that's an example.
I'm pretty sure you're just socially retarded but go on and demonstrate that you're so intelligent that you're far beyond everyone else in society and that all your troubles and tribulations are the result of you being a higher being than everyone around you despite having 0 accomplishments to set you apart.

You have no friends because you're too smart. You're depressed because you're too smart. You have no motivation because you're too smart. I've heard it all before and it's never rung true in any of the people that like to jerk themselves off to the sounds of their own excuses.
Wow, a lot of people took that comment personally. Having many friends doesn't mean you are dumb, lol.

Talking to yourself, thinking out aloud is the legacy of an important step in the evolution of human counsciousness.

Friendship is not about intelligence. Neither is it about how interesting your friends are.
If I find a person boring and their company tedious, I'm not likely to develop a friendship with them. Friendship is based on shared values. Differences in intelligence often affect people's values - highly intelligent people can have values and interests that are straight-up incomprehensible to others.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom