Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tamriel Rebuilt keeps chugging along

thesecret1

Arcane
So far all the quests have been pretty nice. Nothing to amaze me or anything, just some fine questing around. A good mix of combat, thievery, and talking/comedy – lots of them offer different outcomes and different ways to approach them, and even those that don't tend to have some enjoyable writing to them. All have been really easy but that's expected from a starter area (yes, I am still in goddamn Old Ebonheart. This city is just that big) – if you plan to start a new playthrough, just ignore absolutely everything after the game starts, make the short trek to Ebonheart, and hop on a ship to Old Ebonheart. The area's meant to get you started, and I don't understand why this isn't communicated to the player in some way.

deuxhero

Arcane
It is through in-game dialog. Mage's Guild tells you the questline of that area is for new recruits. There's plenty of high level stuff in Old Ebonheart release though, like
Lich, Daedric realm megadungeon

There's also alternate start mods (Chargen Revamped - Expanded Lands for example, but that hasn't updated and I expect trying to start in Firewatch would go poorly), so you can skip traveling there normally and just start there.

Funposter

Arcane
So far all the quests have been pretty nice. Nothing to amaze me or anything, just some fine questing around. A good mix of combat, thievery, and talking/comedy – lots of them offer different outcomes and different ways to approach them, and even those that don't tend to have some enjoyable writing to them. All have been really easy but that's expected from a starter area (yes, I am still in goddamn Old Ebonheart. This city is just that big) – if you plan to start a new playthrough, just ignore absolutely everything after the game starts, make the short trek to Ebonheart, and hop on a ship to Old Ebonheart. The area's meant to get you started, and I don't understand why this isn't communicated to the player in some way.
iirc they wanted Teyn to act as a sort of TR-Seyda Neen, but idk if that's still on the cards

deuxhero

Arcane
Morrowind really only has a few general areas unsuited for early game characters (Ghostgate, Ashlands, Grazelands). The danger is nearly always at individual sites within areas (Daedric Ruins, deeper Dwemer ruins) which you're clearly told to avoid. Outside of the main quest and certain guilds pushing you to a specific quest giver, you're never pushed toward "beginner" content.

thesecret1

Arcane
Morrowind really only has a few general areas unsuited for early game characters (Ghostgate, Ashlands, Grazelands). The danger is nearly always at individual sites within areas (Daedric Ruins, deeper Dwemer ruins) which you're clearly told to avoid. Outside of the main quest and certain guilds pushing you to a specific quest giver, you're never pushed toward "beginner" content.
You are guided towards areas that are your speed by the main quest

Funposter

Arcane
Except when Caius Cosades literally tells you to go do guild work in Balmora which is babby easy. And his first two quests take you to said guilds. Also the entire first town.

deuxhero

Arcane
Except when Caius Cosades literally tells you to go do guild work in Balmora which is babby easy. And his first two quests take you to said guilds. Also the entire first town.
You are guided towards areas that are your speed by the main quest

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Yeah which is literally nothing

thesecret1

Arcane
Yeah which is literally nothing
It provides you an information where the beginner content is, so you know, for example, where to go dungeon delving at your level. With TR, you have no way of knowing whether what awaits you in Old Ebonheart is content for early levels, or somewhere you should only go after you've maxxed out all your combat skills. If you come by later, when you feel like exploring the place with some decent skills and gear, it will feel too easy.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, TR will remake all of their older areas twice over before this whole thing will get done in 2057. P:T's approach (Skyrim and Cyrodiil teams mostly, other teams are play pretend LARPers) is much more sensible, even if it takes them more time to release new chunks.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
The old areas are pretty shit compared to the new ones so I'd be fine with that. The molecrab armors and wasp riding guards in Port Telvannis reek of modder content.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Yes, the Telvanni areas that were completed first are visually dull and uniform compared to either Vvardenfell or to the Indoril and Redoran areas later added to Tamriel Rebuilt.

The Grey Meadows region, a vast swamp in the middle portion of the House Redoran lands:
XKP9VmX.jpg

The Lan Orethan Region, surrounding the river of the same name, is a verdant, densely-wooded area in the eastern part of House Indoril lands:
rfEMtHb.jpg

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
It must have been 10-15 years since I played through the Morrowind MQ, but I can still remember most of the game with clarity. Must have plugged a thousand hours on release as a teen. This TC looks to be in one hell of a shape compared to it's early days.. is it worth jumping straight into, or should I treat it as a later-game expansion?

As a side note, the Morrowind modding scene is actually bustling with a lot of (mostly) lore-friendly stuff now. It was so crude in it's early days. Probably won't add much more, but so far it seems not to be choking out, yet..
"Core" Mods
TR
Code Patch
Rytelier & ASKII OST replacement
Aura
AI upscaled textures + an (edited) watercolor shader config for MGEXE to destroy them
Weather Adjuster + Vapourmist (+drastically edited cloud speeds down)
True Light and Darkness
Better Bodies

Bordering on fan-fiction/non-sense/extraneous:
Descriptive Shrines
Unique Item Tooltips
Ownership Indicator
Mamaea Awakened
Great Hive Baan Binif
Scrolls of The Nine Barriers
Expedition to Mzelthuand
Forge of Hilbonguard
Caldera Mine expansion
Tower of Vos expansion
Tel Mora expansion
Thieves Guild Fences
Restored Shopkeeper dialogues
Graphic Herbalism
Delayed Brotherhood Attack
Tel Mora Female Guards
Non-hostile Cliff Racers

Last edited:

ironmask

Arbiter
is it worth jumping straight into, or should I treat it as a later-game expansion?
It's worth jumping straight into. I highly recommend Old Ebonheart as the starting point. It's one of latest releases and it's beginner friendly. Though not all quest in old ebonheart area is beginner friendly. Some of them are defiently for high level characters.

thesecret1

Arcane
is it worth jumping straight into, or should I treat it as a later-game expansion?
It's definitely not a later-game expansion. Rather, various areas of it are balanced for different character levels, and you can go from level 1 to max in the TR content alone without ever doing a single quest on Vvanderfel. Old Ebonheart can be accessed by ship from Ebonheart and provides massive amounts of content for low level characters

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The old areas are pretty shit compared to the new ones so I'd be fine with that. The molecrab armors and wasp riding guards in Port Telvannis reek of modder content.
They should proceed with releasing everything and then come back to finish older chunks. The way they're going it'll take ages, but well, for most TES modders (save for Vicn, that Japanese guy is fucking insane) journey is all that matters, not the destination...

Funposter

Arcane
They should proceed with releasing everything and then come back to finish older chunks.
That's the plan. Embers of Empire was a relatively small update to the Imperial parts of the Telvannis area, and the rest of it is going to require a proper rework that won't happen for a few years now.

Zariusz

Arbiter
I wish there was mod that would add more life to NPC, work, sleep food etc like in Gothic for example. This lack of life really criples this world for me. I wonder if OpenMW could allow this...

notpl

Arbiter
It's worth jumping straight into. I highly recommend Old Ebonheart as the starting point. It's one of latest releases and it's beginner friendly. Though not all quest in old ebonheart area is beginner friendly. Some of them are defiently for high level characters.
Does Tamriel Rebuilt change the gameplay dramatically in some way, how can anything in morrowind be "for high-level characters?" Are you no longer able to buy or make potions?

thesecret1

Arcane
Does Tamriel Rebuilt change the gameplay dramatically in some way, how can anything in morrowind be "for high-level characters?" Are you no longer able to buy or make potions?
High level areas have enemies that kill you in one or two hits, low level ones, you can take 10+ or something.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I do concede that the player becomes godly much too quickly.. but chugging potions and metagaming seems like the least fun way to play. It was never very challenging anyways, more focused on the mood and exploration.

Man, Necro's fix for True Lights and Darkness is a necessity - the candlelight pulsing is still a bit too fast, though it's all worth it for the colored lighting. I was in the Sulipund compound doing an early Mage guild quest when I was testing it out and editing light attenuation settings. The red candles are nice dark mood lighting.

Last edited:

None

Scholar
My approach to the difficulty and leveling issues has been these two mods: Proportional Progression Dynamic Difficulty

You have to manually edit the first one's settings file. Reduce overall skill gain to 80-90%, increase it for things like enchanting or other magic schools, decrease it for acrobatics/athletics/alchemy/armorer/other spammable or often used skills. I then add a curve for skill level, which looks like 0:125%, 50:100%, 100:80%.
Difficulty is more or less up to you. IIRC I remember doing something like 10+1/level.

Add MULE to this so you don't have to worry about prioritizing skill gains for each level. Just play and the mod will handle things naturally for you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom