Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tamriel Rebuilt keeps chugging along

thesecret1

Arcane
My approach to the difficulty and leveling issues has been these two mods: Proportional Progression Dynamic Difficulty

You have to manually edit the first one's settings file. Reduce overall skill gain to 80-90%, increase it for things like enchanting or other magic schools, decrease it for acrobatics/athletics/alchemy/armorer/other spammable or often used skills. I then add a curve for skill level, which looks like 0:125%, 50:100%, 100:80%.
Difficulty is more or less up to you. IIRC I remember doing something like 10+1/level.

Add MULE to this so you don't have to worry about prioritizing skill gains for each level. Just play and the mod will handle things naturally for you.
Does it help, though? In my experience the problem isn't really the rate at which I gain skills naturally, but the fact I can simply buy them from trainers (and getting really rich in morrowind is easy)

None

Scholar
My approach to the difficulty and leveling issues has been these two mods: Proportional Progression Dynamic Difficulty

You have to manually edit the first one's settings file. Reduce overall skill gain to 80-90%, increase it for things like enchanting or other magic schools, decrease it for acrobatics/athletics/alchemy/armorer/other spammable or often used skills. I then add a curve for skill level, which looks like 0:125%, 50:100%, 100:80%.
Difficulty is more or less up to you. IIRC I remember doing something like 10+1/level.

Add MULE to this so you don't have to worry about prioritizing skill gains for each level. Just play and the mod will handle things naturally for you.
Does it help, though? In my experience the problem isn't really the rate at which I gain skills naturally, but the fact I can simply buy them from trainers (and getting really rich in morrowind is easy)
Harder Barter helps with the money situation.

While I'm at it, Morrowind Anti-Cheese and Controlled Consumption help with other aspects of balance and difficulty. I could go on, but I'd be compelled to puke out an entire modlist then.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Skill gain to 80%, or even closer to 50 sounds like the way to go. Though it's been too long to remember how the leveling system works. Going from 1-10 may be easy, but how difficult was it in tiers of levels beyond that? Broken economy and trainers are the biggest issue towards meaningful gameplay in the end, I think

Went to Old Ebonheart for the first time. Even using stuff like the Balmora expansion didn't hit my mid-range pc very hard, but now I'll have to not have distant lands and such bumped so high.. was going down to 10-30fps in sections of the city

I'll have to keep editing this watercolor shader as well, it's nice close-up, though. Maybe I'll just batch-edit all the textures in photoshop for a more even-keeled painterly look

Funposter

Arcane
Skill gain to 80%, or even closer to 50 sounds like the way to go. Though it's been too long to remember how the leveling system works. Going from 1-10 may be easy, but how difficult was it in tiers of levels beyond that? Broken economy and trainers are the biggest issue towards meaningful gameplay in the end, I think

Went to Old Ebonheart for the first time. Even using stuff like the Balmora expansion didn't hit my mid-range pc very hard, but now I'll have to not have distant lands and such bumped so high.. was going down to 10-30fps in sections of the city

I'll have to keep editing this watercolor shader as well, it's nice close-up, though. Maybe I'll just batch-edit all the textures in photoshop for a more even-keeled painterly look
RandomPal's city mods (especially the downsized ones rolled into BCOM) aren't that performance intensive. They bring the cluttering up to TR/OAAB standards and add some extra NPCs and buildings, but they still keep the scale of Vvardenfell's cities as frontier settlements. Old Ebonheart has something like 65 free-standing buildings in addition to the castle, exterior walls, ships, port buildings etc. Balmora, even with BCOM, has maybe 40 buildings and significantly less NPCs.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I added so many small lore/expansion mods, and I'm still expecting to see some yellow ! errors to break my immersion. This time I hopped around cities to see broken parts and have been able to fix them quickly.. I probably should have just added BCOM.. but it's been so long since I modded the old Scrolls engines, once that sort of thing started occuring it was re-start modding time and I don't want that

also: using the Rytelier & ASKII OST replacement, I keep getting audio glitch sounds between changing tracks (ie combat to exploration switch).. has anyone else had a similar issue? It's small but the sort of thing that breaks immersion.. maybe I need to update some codecs or something

Last edited:

ironmask

Arbiter
I only care about the Morrowind mods, it's vastly better than Oblivion and Skyrim just for its systems.
I only care about Morrowind mods because it's actually a good game. Don't feel like modding, just to turn a shit game into something half-way decent. Only Skyrim mod I'm sort of interest in is beyond skyrim. Even then I wished more of that effort went into MW instead.

destinae vomitus

Educated
I finally got around to playing this and I'm glad to see that they're maintaining the good ol Morrowind-isms. For instance after only a few Thieves Guild quests in Old Ebonheart I was more or less handed an adamantium crossbow for free, and not longer after I got my hands on a pair of fun boots with a trivial downside that let me zoom around like I'm Sonic the Skoomahog. It's about as balanced and FUN as it oughta be.

thesecret1

Arcane
The plan is to finish all of Hlaalu lands first. Then go for Redoran and Dres lands (uncertain which one first) and then finally do Almalexia. Optimistic estimates are the whole thing will be finished in the mid 30's

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The plan is to finish all of Hlaalu lands first. Then go for Redoran and Dres lands (uncertain which one first) and then finally do Almalexia. Optimistic estimates are the whole thing will be finished in the mid 30's
Looks like a decent estimate provided they don't burn out in the meantime. It will give me a solid reason to replay Morrowind anyway.

Zariusz

Arbiter
I dont know if its funny or sad but modern Tamriel Rebuilt is practically a Tamriel Rebuild Rebuild, on their project history site you can see how much was done and later thrown away to start from scratch. There is this map that compares old and modern landscapes, while those ancient fragments probably were never stiched together, filled with content and they look quite patchworky i still wonder how all of this could look that decade ago.

pr_may22_10_cellexp.jpg

On the left: roughly what TR could have looked like ca. 2005 – in truth, a modern compilation of various old claims dating from 2003-2009 by Fürst Thal. Although the province looked nearly done in 2005, this was only a superficial impression – every part of the landscape had major issues. On the right: progress on TR’s exteriors as of Spring 2022. Only the Telvanni peninsula and parts of Indoril lands are recognizable – starting in 2009, most of western and southern Morrowind was redone wholesale.

Of course visible difference in quality is obvious but the fact that after almost 20 years this mod is still not done and its probably not going to be for the next 10 years is quite sad for me, i wonder how many morrowind fans died waiting for this.

Last edited:

ironmask

Arbiter
They also plan to redo all the Telvanni lands before redoing Almalexia.

thesecret1

Arcane
They also plan to redo all the Telvanni lands before redoing Almalexia.
They plan to do that in parallel with the development of new areas, like they did with Embers of the Empire. Basically, they decided that everything made prior to the old ebonheart release in 2018 (which came after five years of downtime, during which the whole project went through major reorganization in both work process and staff) doesn't meet their new standards. They're reusing lots of the old stuff so it's not like they're making it from scratch, but they do make large changes.

It takes lots and lots of time, true, but the content they release is great, and they seem to be going at it a lot faster than before (the success of actually releasing something seems to have reignited interest in the mod, bringing a lot more manpower on-board). I mean compare how much was released in the last 4 years, and how much in the 12 before that

tentanz

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
By mid 2030s, machine learning will allow them to Rebuild Tamriel, and do it all in Morrowind's concept style. Even if the clout-chasers and discord trannies there refuse anyone in the project to use those tools, they will be used anyway. Models will be rendered from concept by complete nobodies in a matter of minutes, and there will be thousands of versions of Tamriel Rebuilt, just floating in the ether.

None

Scholar
The project, and others like it, have received a substantial boost in the form of CSSE or the Construction Set Extender. Same people who did MWSE-Lua. Some very simple features like a search bar, faster load times, rotation on the world axis, object snapping, etc have made the editor vastly easier to use. It has yet to be feature complete and is barely a month old. It probably isn't a stretch to say that these features alone have the potential to save months or even years worth of manhours on projects the size of TR.

None

Scholar
By mid 2030s, machine learning will allow them to Rebuild Tamriel, and do it all in Morrowind's concept style. Even if the clout-chasers and discord trannies there refuse anyone in the project to use those tools, they will be used anyway. Models will be rendered from concept by complete nobodies in a matter of minutes, and there will be thousands of versions of Tamriel Rebuilt, just floating in the ether.
TR has used AI-art programs to generate textures, iirc for things like Velothi-style paintings. But this isn't the early 2000's anymore. Assets are not the bottleneck they used to be, the rise of programs like Blender has changed that. In many ways asset creation is already outpacing development in other areas. It takes far more time to plop things down in the editor for interiors, exteriors, or to make quests than it does to make a typical asset set for a given release. And because Morrowind can get away with a lower level of fidelity than different games, the amount of time spent making a single asset is therefore less. Not to say it isn't tough or important work, but a lot of time is spent on repetitive tasks that would be very difficult to automate away in a satisfactory way.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
is there anything better than provoking a race traitor, throwing back a vial of pure kagouti growth hormone (+500 000 strength for 8 ingame months) and then beating him to death with your bare hands? rest in peace atran oran and dels whatever your last name was, you hlaalu cuckolds.

Funposter

Arcane
The project, and others like it, have received a substantial boost in the form of CSSE or the Construction Set Extender. Same people who did MWSE-Lua. Some very simple features like a search bar, faster load times, rotation on the world axis, object snapping, etc have made the editor vastly easier to use. It has yet to be feature complete and is barely a month old. It probably isn't a stretch to say that these features alone have the potential to save months or even years worth of manhours on projects the size of TR.
Speaking from experience with a little bit of Oblivion modding, even doing simple stuff in the object window was a total night are and resulted in loads of crashes. The CSE for Oblivion was a game-changer and made the experience so much more enjoyable and efficient.

None

Scholar

Yearly Recap 2022

Submitted by Sultan of Rum on Sat, 2023-01-07 20:27

Banner image
Tamriel Rebuilt is a mod for TES III: Morrowind that aims to add the mainland of the Morrowind province to the game, as Bethesda would have done it. The province is released as a series of expansions; players can already download and enjoy a landmass twice the size of the original game and containing an amount of quests roughly equal to that of the base game.

Happy new year from the Tamriel Rebuilt team! As is our hallowed tradition dating back at least to 2005, let’s take a look back at what went on in Tamriel Rebuilt throughout 2022.

Of course, the biggest thing to happen this year was the release of our twin-expansions of Dominions of Dust and Embers of Empire on November 24th. Dominions of Dust in particular was a long time coming and a tough slog for our developers. This expansion – centered on the borderlands of House Hlaalu and Redoran – was plagued by issues stemming from its more than a decade-long development process. Counter-intuitively, repurposing old work is often much harder and less motivating for our developers than building things from scratch. In particular, quest development for this expansion had taken a long time, as many our initial drafts for the questlines turned out too complex or disjointed, and since quality issues with old interiors and exteriors commonly interfered with quest work, requiring long stretches of downtime while the issues were fixed.​
A new report this month with a look of things past and things to come. DoD was a particularly tricky thing to develop as there was much already done that needed to be reviewed again and adjusted to adhere to TR's new design standards. Combine that with the first ever redo, which was worked on in parallel and in a somewhat ad hoc manner, and you can see why this one may have taken longer than expected. I expect development going forward, in regard to the work done in the construction set, to be smoother than before.

Lately I have noticed some team drama with rather prominent developers either leaving, outright disappearing, or being banned. Over at Project Tamriel a lot of the channels that were wide open are now developer only as well, although still viewable to the public. The same behavior may make its way over to TR, given the relationship between the two projects. The project has a history of unraveling itself which is why this worries me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom