Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tangledeep

Reapa

Doom Preacher
i have. a little.
it's got serious interface/graphics design issues. and level design is crappy as fuck.
i know stuff is supposed to be random and procedurally generated but this is a mess. it's like they did away with the procedural generation all together and just kept the randomness. just look at that video. who the fuck builds bridges over water every 2 steps?
the levels are also too small. what's up with that? how hard is it give the player some space? it's not like they made the levels by hand so why not make them a lot bigger?

it's clearly a very low budget game and sadly also low effort to boot.
this also shows in the mechanics. cooldowns are the laziest way to balance abilities. they artificially increase the need for combat spell variety and you end up using a magic poison missile followed by a magic fire missile followed by a magic ice missile for no other reason than having to wait for your spells to cool down instead of having to adapt to a certain kind of enemy.

there's probably plenty more to criticize but i didn't have the patience to experience more of it.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I bought it on the strength of thesheeep 's Steam review, but I must admit it hasn't really grabbed me and I'm thinking of refunding.

I've not played it enough to really critique it properly, but so far it seems like a simpler version of Dredmor. As I'm playing it I'm thinking more about firing that game up than continuing with Tangledeep.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Looks like they spent too much time on the presentation rather than the game itself. And to be fair, the sprites and music do seem to be quite good.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've not played it enough to really critique it properly, but so far it seems like a simpler version of Dredmor.
I think the comparison is somewhat fair, but I find Dredmor much more simple.
In Dredmor, you really have only the dungeon and nothing else.

In Tangledeep, you can do quite a number of things besides just going to the next dungeon level.

That said, it simply isn't the most deep or complex game, which is something anyone should know going in.

Cross

Arcane
According to its developer, it's intended to be baby's first roguelike:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/7ukbl1/im_the_lead_developer_of_tangledeep_a_roguelike/
On the gameplay side of things, a lot of roguelikes are (IMO) a bit overly and harshly reliant on RNG. Unidentified potions can kill you or gear can curse you, random events can mess you up, and weird behaviors / interactions require reading a wiki to understand. Tangledeep doesn't have things like an identification system, hunger, or other systems that can kinda detract from the core experience.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The release 1.0 version is buggier than what I remember the Early Access being...

Codex Year of the Donut
The release 1.0 version is buggier than what I remember the Early Access being...
I got the EA in January and played it again after release, this build is definitely buggier. Lots of bugs involving conversation/UI that never happened before.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It has begun. (Not my screenshot.)
DVKkVnGVMAAtO7Z

TigerKnee

Arcane
It plays more like a less autistic TOME, which isn't really a rogue-like design style that I like.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So I played it a bit more, (past the refund point now by quite some way) and if you approach it from the perspective that it's pretty simple to play but still able to rip you a new one if you get careless, it's pretty enjoyable.

Tried out three classes so far, Brigand, Floramancer and Paladin and had most success with Brigand. Got mashed up by the first boss, but I went in a bit unprepared and paid the price. I'm finding it one of those games where I can zone out a bit while I play, but if I zone out too much I end up backed into a corner by 3 mobs with my potion on CD and all out of stamina.

It might look a bit 'babies first roguelike' and by design it doesn't bury you in complexity straight from the off, but I'm glad I got it now and trusted thesheeep . With multiclassing, pets and some form of permanency in the banking and tree system it's quite a bit more entertaining than I thought at first play.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Small hint that I just now found out (maybe missed that in the tutorial or I'm just blind?):
Catching pets actually has a point beyond you being able to take one with you (which I always found a bit cumbersome and not really required).
It grants some bonus damage AND damage reduction against monsters of that specific type plus to some lesser extent against monsters of the same family.

DVKkVnGVMAAtO7Z
Yeah, it is kinda funny how that upsets some, after decades of it being normal to have only a male character available (in some games without a predefined character).
The discussion seems to pop up in the forums, too, every two weeks or so.
Brillant marketing move, if you ask me :lol:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

DVKkVnGVMAAtO7Z
Yeah, it is kinda funny how that upsets some, after decades of it being normal to have only a male character available (in some games without a predefined character).
The discussion seems to pop up in the forums, too, every two weeks or so.
Brillant marketing move, if you ask me :lol:
Or some sjw's alt trying to make the new controversy. No matter what kind of creature it is,it should be fucked in the ass by a huge horse dick strapon!

Last edited:
Played this for a bit today - it definitely feels like babby's first RL, but it is a charming game (sprite work is actually decent and it doesn't feel like a cheap cash-in LOOK AT ME IM RETRO hack) and the soundtrack is really good. Good to space out to.

It's no DCSS or ToME, but it's not trying to be. Feels like it could be a success on the Switch or something.

Codex Year of the Donut
Played this for a bit today - it definitely feels like babby's first RL, but it is a charming game (sprite work is actually decent and it doesn't feel like a cheap cash-in LOOK AT ME IM RETRO hack) and the soundtrack is really good. Good to space out to.

It's no DCSS or ToME, but it's not trying to be. Feels like it could be a success on the Switch or something.
gets worse the more you play it

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

gets worse the more you play it
Like any game,can't remember a game where the ending was the best part.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Legend of Shara is a full expansion to Tangledeep, adding breadth and depth to every aspect of the game for players of all skill and experience levels! From new early game floors and monsters to wild new post-game content and everything in between...

Key Features
  • Shara's Story: A new tale in the world of Tangledeep with a unique story, boss encounters, and new gameplay!
  • A 13th job, the Calligrapher, armed with two weapons, elemental scrolls, and devastating combo attacks!
  • Increased level cap: from 15 to 20! With this new level cap comes even more powerful items and challenges to discover.
  • Dozens of new monsters with new powers! You can capture and tame them, too!
  • Begin your ascent in Riverstone Waterway instead of Cedar Caverns: a new early-game path with slightly more challenge and greater rewards.
  • Encounter the Mysterious Wanderer and explore Wanderer's Journeys: entirely new dungeons with bizarre creatures, scenarios, and treasure.
  • Discover ancient Relics, rare items with limitless combinations of legendary powers and bonuses!
  • Strange new Item Dreams that twist and warp areas you've already visited with new events, monsters, items, and objects.
  • Unearth Runes of Knowledge, a set of tablets that teach special abilities not found anywhere else!
  • New monster sprites, tile sets, layouts, item graphics, effects, and music!
Shara's Story
You can now play as Shara in a new prequel story that happens before Mirai’s story! While the core dungeon progression is similar to the main game, the dialog and bosses are very different. In this mode, there is no town, no meta progress, and no job system. Shara does not gain XP nor levels like Mirai does. Instead, you can spend JP to level up your core stats. By doing so, your XP level increases gradually.
You can learn new abilities in two ways: first, by opening Pandora’s Boxes. These give you an option of three random skills from the entire pool of regular job abilities, and you can pick one. Second, by resting at Campfires, you will have an option of several random Shara-only abilities, of which you can pick one each time. You'll have to plan and adapt on the fly based on what items and abilities you find.

Overall, Shara’s story provides a fresh new way to play Tangledeep and experience a new story at the same time!

The Calligrapher (13th Job)
To the Calligrapher, the pen and sword are equally mighty and lethal. Drawing upon ancient writing and runic knowledge, Calligraphers engage their enemies wielding two weapons at once, reading from powerful elemental scrolls and striking down opponents with furious brushstrokes. This job is focused on attacking and dodging; it’s an all-out offense playstyle that rewards building up huge attacks.

The Mysterious Wanderer
You may now encounter a new character in Riverstone Camp: the Mysterious Wanderer. This enigmatic storyteller will introduce you to “Wanderer’s Journeys”: randomly-generated adventures that range from 10 to 50 (!!!) floors.
UNIQUE DUNGEONS
Each Journey has an entirely unique dungeon layout. Some are full of tight, windy corridors connecting large rooms together; others are more naturalistic, with wide-open spaces and water. Each has different biomes and environments to explore.

STRANGE NEW CREATURES
Unlike the rest of the game, every Journey has a completely new set of randomly-generated monsters, complete with accompanying names, sprites, and powers. You’ll have to observe these new threats carefully; you never know what you might find!

DIFFERENT SCENARIOS
Some Journeys will allow you to bring along your skills, stats, gear, items, or a combination of these resources. Others will start you at level 1 with nothing at all! No matter your skill level and progression in the main game, you’ll find a variety of different gameplay styles and challenges to enjoy.

ANCIENT & POWERFUL RELICS
Through playing and completing a Wanderer’s Journey, you will find a new type of item called Relics. These are extra-special Legendary items that are randomly-generated from hundreds of existing powers, bonuses, properties, and stats. There are weapon, armor, shield, book, quiver, and accessory relics to discover, all with limitless possibilities!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom