Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TB System: Action Points vs. Single Action

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
aim: 1 tick
shoot: 2 ticks
run: 1.5 (rounded up) ticks per "hex"
walk: 1 tick per "hex"
etc.: x ticks [/qupte]
Isn't this real time with pause?

Mayday

Augur
Isn't real time with pause the best option if done well? (ie. most realistic and least prone to abuse).

dagorkan

Arbiter
There are at least two distinctions that are important in combat systems:

-Alternating actions (turns) vs simultaneous action
-Short rounds vs longer rounds

I think these two encompass every system ever made.

Both longer rounds and alternate turns sacrifice realism for gamist 'strategy'. The first distinction creates fundamental differences, the other one doesn't, it's a gradient. (Although as you reduce rounds the difference between alternate/simultaneous actions vanishes - what is called RT is extremely short rounds and the order of resolving actions is irrelevant)

I know that I prefer simultaneous action to turns, but how long rounds should be really depends on the setting, the system, and should be adjusted to whatever works best.

DraQ

Arcane
Mayday said:
Isn't real time with pause the best option if done well? (ie. most realistic and least prone to abuse).
Genuine real time with wide range of interrupt conditions to eliminate any influence of player's reflex might be reasonable. TB mechanics running in RT, but with active pause, as seen in infinity engine games was a travesty.

TheLostOne

Savant
I'd like to see something implemented in a squad based game which I've only seen in japanese tactics games.

Single action turns (move+action) which has a weighted time value depending on the action. So someone taking a quick stationary shot would do so and it would cost like 10 time units, but someone who moved first then took an aimed shot would cost 50 or so. You accumulate these points while other people are acting and your turn pops up when you reach 100. So if you only used 10 you're turn would come again much sooner than if you used 50.

I like this system because its simple and if I just want to use a turn to reload or take cover or scout out a few hexes then retreat I can do that without having to wait for everyone else to have their turn afterwards.

Murk

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
aim: 1 tick
shoot: 2 ticks
run: 1.5 (rounded up) ticks per "hex"
walk: 1 tick per "hex"
etc.: x ticks [/qupte]
Isn't this real time with pause?

basically . Though I can see a slowed down version of it in that it would give you actual time to plan and use the numbers to your advantage as a pretty decent system.

But then again, people really hated the Infinity Engine games' battle systems...

hence my confusion...

Murk

Arcane
TheLostOne said:
I'd like to see something implemented in a squad based game which I've only seen in japanese tactics games.

Single action turns (move+action) which has a weighted time value depending on the action. So someone taking a quick stationary shot would do so and it would cost like 10 time units, but someone who moved first then took an aimed shot would cost 50 or so. You accumulate these points while other people are acting and your turn pops up when you reach 100. So if you only used 10 you're turn would come again much sooner than if you used 50.

I like this system because its simple and if I just want to use a turn to reload or take cover or scout out a few hexes then retreat I can do that without having to wait for everyone else to have their turn afterwards.

The best example of that was... what, FF Tactics ( I refer to the original, the GBA one was gay I thought)?

While a sytem I loved and probably the most replayed ps1 game I have, it definitely was prone to abuse.

I suppose if people played as intended it worked well enough, though was very limited in "stuff you can do".

SkeleTony

Augur
Mayday said:

No. real-time w/pause is plagued by the crappy pathing . This is especially evident in Baldur's Gate when you have to navigate those crappy dungeons with the narrow corridors and your idiot party members keep trying to take stupid routes to get to where they are ordered to be.

TB still pwns.

SkeleTony

Augur
DraQ said:
Section8 said:
"Blob with Arms": Most of the party based first person dungeon crawlers of yesteryear play out with you basically plotting a single action for each character, and without movement it relies on a well developed set of spells and phsyical attacks. The late Wizardries are prime examples.
I would disagree on late Wizardries, specifically Wizardry 8. While you only declare one action per character per round (two if you move around), characters are able to perform this action multiple times per turn (often switching targets), more so, their ability to perform multiple actions gradualy decreases with increase of the distance your party walked/ran in this round, so it's safe to say that Wiz8 has sort of AP system hidden behind single action interface.

Plus Wiz 8 had that tactical formations thing which, while not as tactically satisfying as isometric/top-down, was still pretty damned good.

Dominus illuminatio mea!
icon_salut.gif
icon_salut.gif

Necropennis

Scholar
TheLostOne said:

Yes, that is more or less what I have in mind too, sorta like the system in FFT.

What's weird is that I can't remeber a western squad based TB game that doesn't have a AP system (hidden or not), but my memory is completely useless so there's probably a few

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom