Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Team Assault: Baptism of Fire

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
From RPS:

Apparently taking some cues from Silent Storm (a good thing), Zeal Game Studio’s Team Assault: Baptism of Fire is a turn-based, skirmish level WWII tactical wargame. With an emphasis on realism, including morale management, and bullets that penetrate cover and have a tendency to kill rather than chip away at health bars

Looks pretty interesting. Anyone here tried it? It's 16€ for download-only and 25€ for boxed copy at Matrix Games.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
old news is old

- only missions, no campaign
- looks shit and I wouldn't be surprised if it plays just as well
- the repetitive music in all these Matrix trailers starts making me sick. How many times do you think you can rip off Kevin Manthei?

nyone here tried it? It's 16€ for download-only and 25€ for boxed copy at Matrix Games.

Considering most games there cost at least 50$, even they must believe this is really bad.

I bet no one here has tried it yet - neither have I - and since it's from Matrix: good luck waiting for the demo.

I hope with kickstarter companies like Matrix are history.

The_scorpion

Liturgist
hmmm maybe i should have a look at that. Even if only as a source of inspiration for my own projects since its gameplay looks sluggish somehow. is there a community of sorts?

Cover that largely stops bullets is a big issue? Cover effectiveness can be reduced compared to the typical "bullet simply ricochets", but then you deal with constantly having to bandage your units for small amounts of HP/ minor wounds.

Emily

Arcane
Looks pretty lame to be honest.. There isn't even an feature to command tanks, or anything exept infantry : S
Which is odd to say at least for an WWII game...

laclongquan

Arcane
Why would anyone wait for a demo from Matrix or any developer? TPB is the biggest and most convenient store for demo around. You try shits there and you post your impressions here. Quest done!

A western game with no one here got a clue about it means it really really shit.

(western doesnt include potatoland or bearland, by the way. Or beerland if it's out in beerlanguage).

Burning Bridges

I have heard that such games have a very effective form of DRM, called "no scene interest". You can calculate on your five fingers what this says about the games.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
No demo/torrent = no moneys

I have heard that such games have a very effective form of DRM, called "no scene interest". You can calculate on your five fingers what this says about the games.

Or what this says about the scene. I remember trying hard to find CM Normandy or AP: Op. Star on torrents and both are really fine games.

Burning Bridges

No campaign? Not even a rudimentary one? Why?

- insert some crappy excuse: poor, unattractive, lack of resources, small studio, main job, blah

that's the official variant:

We were hoping to have a single player campaign in the game at first release but it just proved to be too big a task so the decision was made to reduce the price to $19.99 and save a simngle player campaign for an add on of some sort. We feel at $19.99 this is a lot of game for your money!

In all the years in which I was still interested in new Matrix products campaigns have always been either "planned in a future add on" or "not demanded by enough players".

I gave up arguing with them after a while when I realized that they had made up their mind long ago.

Burning Bridges

And as to demos. I was once given THE definite answer by one of the Crown of Glory developers, which I kept for future reference because it's so unique.

It basically amounts to, we don't give you a demo because we already know that you are too dumb to play it.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2091082&mpage=1&key=demo&#2091082

Gil R. said:
Yes, it would be that difficult. Making a good playable demo is more than just deleting a few files. For a game this complex there's a lot of work involved to ensure that we're not giving away for free the full game, and yet are providing a good example of what the game is like.

If you decide not to buy the game because there's no demo, that's regrettable but acceptable to us: we have made a business decision based on our belief that a demo can lose as many (or more?) customers as it gains. What I mean by this is not that people will discover what an awful game COG:EE or FOF is by playing the demo and wisely not fall into our trap, but rather that when people download a free demo they have no investment in the game, and if their first impression of the game is bad they'll delete the demo and not buy it. And a game as complex as this one too often takes some time to learn appreciate. The FOF and COG/COG:EE forums are filled with posts from players saying essentially "The first time I played this game I couldn't figure it out and regretted my purchase but now that I've spent time with it I love it." My guess is that a good number of those people would never have bought the game if that had been their initial experience with the demo. So, overall, when people research a game like this one carefully and decide to buy it that means they've made an investment in it and will try to learn it, but when people just download a demo they're more likely to make a snap decision about the game. And games like FOF and COG:EE simply can't be judged that quickly by most players. As you can see, then, we're prepared to lose potential sales by not providing a demo, knowing that through videos and this forum we provide more than enough information for people to make an informed decision regarding whether our games are for them... and a decision arguably more informed than if someone played around with the demo for a short while.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
It's funny/sad. I play a lot of old SSI wargames and I've never bothered with a single scenario because the campaigns are so much more compelling. Every loss matters so you can't let your guard down.

Campaigns are probably a lot more effort to develop and balance though...

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
And as to demos. I was once given THE definite answer by one of the Crown of Glory developers, which I kept for future reference because it's so unique.

It basically amounts to, we don't give you a demo because we already know that you are too dumb to play it.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2091082&mpage=1&key=demo&#2091082

Gil R. said:
Yes, it would be that difficult. Making a good playable demo is more than just deleting a few files. For a game this complex there's a lot of work involved to ensure that we're not giving away for free the full game, and yet are providing a good example of what the game is like.

If you decide not to buy the game because there's no demo, that's regrettable but acceptable to us: we have made a business decision based on our belief that a demo can lose as many (or more?) customers as it gains. What I mean by this is not that people will discover what an awful game COG:EE or FOF is by playing the demo and wisely not fall into our trap, but rather that when people download a free demo they have no investment in the game, and if their first impression of the game is bad they'll delete the demo and not buy it. And a game as complex as this one too often takes some time to learn appreciate. The FOF and COG/COG:EE forums are filled with posts from players saying essentially "The first time I played this game I couldn't figure it out and regretted my purchase but now that I've spent time with it I love it." My guess is that a good number of those people would never have bought the game if that had been their initial experience with the demo. So, overall, when people research a game like this one carefully and decide to buy it that means they've made an investment in it and will try to learn it, but when people just download a demo they're more likely to make a snap decision about the game. And games like FOF and COG:EE simply can't be judged that quickly by most players. As you can see, then, we're prepared to lose potential sales by not providing a demo, knowing that through videos and this forum we provide more than enough information for people to make an informed decision regarding whether our games are for them... and a decision arguably more informed than if someone played around with the demo for a short while.
Despite that guy's bitching to the contrary, the truth is there for everyone to see: "people will discover what an awful game COG:EE or FOF is by playing the demo". That's the real reason why shit developers avoid demos like the plague. For example, I know the DA2 demo saved me from making the mistake of buying that one.

Running Fox

Educated
Queued
Or what this says about the scene. I remember trying hard to find CM Normandy or AP: Op. Star on torrents and both are really fine games.
Great examples dude :roll:
Operation Star being 0day and Combat Mission Normandy 4 months later by SKiDROW...
Now call me when they get around to Unity of Command, which will never happen... :(

Btw, if I buy from Matrix, can I install and play the game offline on different rigs? Or does the installer or game auth. itself on their server at install and playtime or someshit?

Burning Bridges

Btw, if I buy from Matrix, can I install and play the game offline on different rigs? Or does the installer or game auth. itself on their server at install and playtime or someshit?

Those I know had only a simply serial number check - no problems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom