Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Team Fagtress 2 has gone full derp

They now have an item store where you can buy items for real cash. But I guess sheeple will still cheer since they can now buy their favorite hats and shit like that.

Yeah, it was bad before... but Gabe probably rolled his fat ass out of bed one day and said: "Bout time we kicked this derp into overdrive!"

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
Prices range from $0.49 to $4.99

The average price of an item is $1.97. Older Valve-made items tend to be the cheapest, new community-made items cost the most. The new Spy knife is $4.99, and the new Soldier rocket launcher is $2.49.

source

I stopped reading it at that point. :retarded:

Community made shit... I guess the Codex could gather up all our emo modders and create a flying dick rocket launcher, a DefJam Demo bling-bling item and a limited edition Juden Burner Flamethrower.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I still like and play the game on occasion, I guess that makes me a derp-lover.

I don't have anything against people who like the game, but people who would support those bastards by paying 5 euro for a fucking DLC which includes but one item? That's shit I'd expect from an asian free to play mmo, which means that TF2 is now more of a fucking MMO than it was before this update.

reaven

Educated
Its still my first choice when I want to play multiplayer fps, which I haven't done in a while.

*doesn't read topic*

this is about the fucking hats, isn't it

edit: fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

After all the retarded drama (omg someone got a halo hat and I didn't, SO UNFAIR), this shouldn't be that surprising, really. And can you really blame them for giving people what they want?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well, I have to admit I thought this was an okay idea when I thought the prices would be reasonable, i.e. fifty cents for some cosmetic stuff... but I'm browsing it now and they are charging $18 for hats. No joke. Yeah, okay, this is a total shameless cash grab.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The people who buy this shit are no better than the WoWfags who bought that $25 mount.

The fucking retards supporting ideas like this are doing more harm than the people who are putting them out in the first place.

Erzherzog

Magister
Their forums exploded in anger. Even on their own forums the reaction is negative.

I had just gotten into the game again recently. It's a lot of fun but what they did is ridiculous...

Multi-headed Cow

I don't see what the problem is. You're not at all gimped in TF2 if you have 0 special items, and you get guns in random drops which are fairly regular AND from achievement milestones, and hats have 0 influence on gameplay (Ok, extremely minor influence on gameplay if you're going for a set bonus which is not that amazing).

TF2 item store is stupid but it's easy to ignore. By the way, when they're talking "Community items" they're talking the items that just got added in the patch today. There was a big contest for community item packs and the prize is the items would get added to TF2.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Most of the rage is from people making something out of nothing crying that people will have an 'unfair advantage' which is pretty irrelevant considering it's a fairly casual shooter.

Of course, to buy a full set for one class is $20... the whole bundle is $50. If someone is dumb enough to spend that then more power to them.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Multi-headed Cow said:
I don't see what the problem is.
Because nothing is without compromise. Once publishers finally realize how much money they can make off retards buying retarded shit with real money (a la DLCs), they will shift more budget and time towards said retarded shit, away from real gameplay development

Quilty

Magister
Just when I thought I was out, the fun gameplay pulled me back in. Can't fight that feeling of getting a five-kill streak as a spy.

Black

Arcane
Someone forgot to mention that the items from this update are find-able and craft-able, like before.
Meh, meaningless detail :smug:
Today I crafted one of the new hats for Soldier. I didn't pay anything to anyone. I must be doing something very wrong.

Black

Arcane
My theory is that someone fucked you in the eye and that's how you became 1eyedking, gay homo faggot.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Multi-headed Cow said:
I don't see what the problem is.

The problem, minor as it is right now, is that Valve has opened the door for "pay-to-win" in TF2.

Right now, 5 hats give a bonus when combined with their completed sets. While the other set items are "easy" to find and/or craft, the same cannot be said for the hat. The chances of getting one of these hats without forking over $18 for it are ludicrously small.

Sure, the set bonus that each hat gives isn't game-breaking, but that's not the important thing, it's the principle that's been broken. What's to stop Valve from later introducing the proverbial "I WIN"-weapon into the game, available for only $49.99 from the store? Absolutely nothing.

Don't care? Think TF2 is for faggots? Here's the question: When the success of this little venture reaches the ears of other developers/publishers, what's to stop them from changing their games to have this exact same "innovative" feature?

zeitgeist

Magister
Unkillable Cat said:
Don't care? Think TF2 is for faggots? Here's the question: When the success of this little venture reaches the ears of other developers/publishers, what's to stop them from changing their games to have this exact same "innovative" feature?
Hasn't it been obvious that this is the imminent future of all online services for quite a while now, though? I don't know why everyone seems so surprised by this, it's just the old "we have their credit card numbers now, so let's see what we can do with them" concept that Kotick's been selling as his own lately.

Social network + credit card numbers = big money. It doesn't really matter what they're selling, they'll always find something to sell, and market it in a way that promotes competition and one-upping between the socially networked credit card owners.

Even the most cash-hungry of korean MMOs avoids putting I WIN equipment for sale. It's mostly convenience stuff like teleportation scrolls, bonus EXP rate, nice clothes, etc. The public backlash is not worth it, specially for a successful game like TF2.

Even Kotick decided to sell a mount with a different texture instead of something that actually matters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom