Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge

Calthaer

Educated
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game (NES)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NKIPJFftg8

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III - The Manhattan Project (NES)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YcG2OnsvYM

I played II: The Arcade the most but remembering bidding for III on eBay and enjoying it. I cannot remember all of the differences between the two though.

The arcade game for NES played mostly like the arcade game. You had three attacks: regular, jump-kick, and then a "super" attack that you performed by pressing A then B quickly...doing 2, 3, or 4 points of damage, respectively. The turtles were basically all the same.

III was different. Each turtle now had a "super move" (e.g., Leonardo had some whirlwind katana thing where he'd hover and rotate his blades like a fan) and those super-moves cost health to use. Kind of sucked, to be honest - those super moves were awesome and you couldn't really be too awesome without killing yourself. TMNT2 was the pinnacle of TMNT games; I don't know if it ever got better than that.

This game looks promising. Maybe it will equal the magnificence of TMNT2 on the NES. We'll see.

Silentstorm

Learned
It ends with a blind and elderly Donatello reminiscing about his now dead brothers and dies talking to a computer after being with holograms of his brothers, a happy ending for the first turtles...i mean, they do get to grow old.

Pretty sure that outside of comics, we will never see the Turtles as anything other than teens, unless this game has their old versions being playable, but it's strictly 80's cartoon turtles and i highly doubt they will have unlockable other versions of them.
Forget that boring stuff, bruv. You remember that time they met Batman?
cover4.jpg
There is also the Batman VS TMNT movie which is quite different even if basic plot is the same, suprisingly fun and good crossover movie honestly, better than it had any right to be.

I like the look of this, it almost looks like what a TMNT arcade game based on the cartoon made by Technos would've looked like. Like despite some stuff there saying so far, the spirit aren't styled in the same way as the Konami games, at least in game, where the Ninja Turtles were all quite a bit taller than the cartoon versions that come up to around April's shoulder. Would be interesting if you got more attacks in this than the Konami games...the other studio working on this is Tribute Game, who are made up of former Ubisoft people that did Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game (which would explain some of that Technos look) so I wouldn't be totally surprised to see that characters have moveset or something. That one gif look Leonardo looks like we might be getting move sets.

Wondering if Paul Robertson is working on this? He did Scott Pilgrim, and some other stuff with Tribute once they formed. There's been no word on it so probably not.

vanb.gif

tumblr_o5wt2jjnfT1qhccbco1_640.gifv

tumblr_o9socgHVCK1qhccbco1_1280.gifv

barkbarkbark.gif

would have preferred a hand-drawn art style more reminiscent of the cartoon than pixelart

I almost feel a little sorry for the developer because I can kind of imagine the reason this one is sprite based was because of the reaction to Street of Rage 4 not being spirits.

It would've been cool if they had done something like Vanillaware does, and Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection did (I'm wondering if the new Final Fight and Captain Commando games in the leak will be done like this) for this, but the sprites her look good.

It does seem like it might have a whole lot of characters in it, which could also be why it's sprites like this instead of hand drawn characters.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I like the idea and enthusiasm, but this dev's visual taste is just not clicking with me. It's wrong enough to put me off of SoR and now this.

Silentstorm

Learned
The turtles having different movesets would make sense, they have different weapons and personalities so their fighting styles do tend to be different by nature, Michelangelo tends to come across as more of a Jackie Chan type being clumsy but still winning, Donatello is a more practical long range fighter who is a bit clumsy due to spending more time working on his tech, Raphael should have a more brawler style of fighting and Leonardo is the most effective one just doing normal slashes and moves with more efficiency than others.

That's what i would try to make them come across from the top of my head, Donatello would probably use some tech...but he never really fights with those outside of the newest cartoon where it's the only series in which we see Donatello constantly using his tech in every single battle even more than using a bo staff, but this game isn't based on the newest cartoon.

Squidhead

Educated
I like the idea and enthusiasm, but this dev's visual taste is just not clicking with me. It's wrong enough to put me off of SoR and now this.
Yeah, I'd rather prefer they just give us a big Turtles compilation of the NES-SNES originals and throw in the arcade games (maybe tounament fighter) and call it a day. This new one is just a cash-in for Funko Pop collecting retards.

Silentstorm

Learned
How so?

It's a new game and it doesn't look bad either, taking some cues from the old games but still doing their own thing, besides, it's clear they are even trying to avoid the "Cheap Flash style" look complaints that the newest Battletoads and Streets Of Rage games got.

Heck, if it was a Funko Pop thing...you'd think it look like a Funko Pop figurine, if anything, this is for people who grew up in the 80's and remember the first cartoon or played the first few games...unless those are the Funko Pop collecting retards crowd, as for a cash-in...yeah, like every licensed game ever.

Anyways, is it just me or do the characters seem to move kinda slow?

Maybe i am just playing really fast games, but it gives the feeling of more slow and methodical combat in a way, and outside of Leonardo's special move in one gif and the way Mikey runs, it seems a bit less cartoony in fashion than i would expect, like, i am not the biggest Turtles In Time fan, but that gif where they throw Foot Clan soldiers felt less fun than just throwing them left and right and then at the screen which was a cool thing about that game at least.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wasn't Shredder's Revenge the title of the arcade game?. I forget. Whats it been, 30 years?.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd forgotten about the Turtles In Time Arcade game. Now I remember comparing it to my console game as a kid. Holy shit I'd almost forgotten it was on the SNES and not the Playstation.

Games once looked like this kids:
external-content-duckduckgo-com.jpg

Look at how far things have improved in the past 30 years.

LabRat

Learned
I miss that brutal, dark TMNT comic, such as Mirage or Image. IDW TMNT has become furry-like fanfiction shit after #100. :negative:

RuySan

Augur
I'm not a fan of Konami beatemups. They feel completely weightless, and are so anemic compared to the best of Capcom. Even so, turtles in time manages to be decent because it's so hectic and enemies gang up pretty fast, and there's some cool set pieces.

I also love the turtles as characters, so I'm curious how this will turn out.

overly long samey level, a lot of new nigh unavoidable hp losses, only at the end it uses the shield guys which introduce something slightly new.
in the world of videogames where you can turn obsolete in a matter of months, you can't sell me a 25 years old game again.

RuySan

Augur
overly long samey level, a lot of new nigh unavoidable hp losses, only at the end it uses the shield guys which introduce something slightly new.
in the world of videogames where you can turn obsolete in a matter of months, you can't sell me a 25 years old game again.
Why not, I still play golden axe and revenge of death adder regularly.

What Golden Axe does right is having short levels and high letality, which most beat em ups that followed it don't have, the streets of rage games in particular

perhaps because golden axe hasn't been made with the sole purpose of draining quarters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom