Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Telepath Tactics Liberated - deterministic tactical RPG inspired by Fire Emblem

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hope the article raises some more awareness for this title. It's certainly one I'm really looking forward to especially given some of his answers to a few of my questions/concerns...

zwanzig_zwoelf

I forgot about this one. It looks pretty good...

...except I'd love to see the same game in a cyberpunk/futuristic/sci-fi setting with the same level of creativity.

Come on, Craig Stern, now you know what to do next.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This looks very intriguing indeed.
One info I couldn't find in the few videos I watched and the KS pitch is if there will be free world map exploration. Not that it would be necessary to hook me.
And may I ask how you handle the AI? With combat being pretty deterministic I gather it would be possible to make a nearly invincible AI by just letting it simulate more iterations of possible moves just like in chess. That seems like a big advantage of deterministic rulesets in tactical computer games to me btw, you can make better/more competitive AI.
But do you go that route or use a simpler AI algorithm and make up for that with numbers stacked in its favor as it's usually handled?

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New update:

Review copies sent out! More Tutorials!

Posted by Craig Stern

Hey guys! I've been back from PAX East for a little over a week now. The response there was just fantastic--I gave out well over 1000 business cards, made new fans, high-fived a few of you who stopped by the booth, and had some unanticipated press attention from such unlikely sources as IGN and The RPG Codex. (Also, I met Smooth McGroove!)

Running a booth at PAX is always exhausting, but I was helped this time around by Courtney Jacobson, who went way beyond the call of duty and helped me run the booth while cosplaying as Sabrina Strider all weekend. Here, you can see her proudly snare trapping me:

66a69a1eb88ea76268380a35d2a542a9_original.JPG

In other news, I finally sent out review copies of Telepath Tactics yesterday, which leaves the gaming press a solid month to play through and compose their reviews in advance of the game's release. Hopefully this means the game will have some decent launch day coverage!

Meanwhile, the tutorial series continues:

• Part 7 - Writing dialogue with the dialogue editor
  • Part 8 - Introduction to scripting
  • Part 9 - Changing battle conditions and more dialogue triggers
  • Part 10 - Using script actions with character tags
If you have the map editor, there is no reason not to get cracking on your very own campaign right here and now--especially not now that I've (finally) implemented save slots!

e1d0ecb1f4f65494a22485ebe04a6597_original.png

Just look at those things! So sexy!
All guys--that's all I've got for the time being. I'll update you all again soon!

--Craig

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Did you get a press copy mindx2? Does this mean we can expect an in-depth review soon in a solid month?

mindx2

Patron
Did you get a press copy mindx2? Does this mean we can expect an in-depth review soon in a solid month?
I backed the KS and would certainly be open to giving it a go if Craig Stern wanted to hook me up early... :D My review style and knowledge may not be as in-depth as many Codexers would want however. I'm more of a narrative writer who would describe the game in terms of overall presentation and enjoyment and much less from a design and mechanics standpoint.

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
This looks very intriguing indeed.
One info I couldn't find in the few videos I watched and the KS pitch is if there will be free world map exploration. Not that it would be necessary to hook me.
And may I ask how you handle the AI? With combat being pretty deterministic I gather it would be possible to make a nearly invincible AI by just letting it simulate more iterations of possible moves just like in chess. That seems like a big advantage of deterministic rulesets in tactical computer games to me btw, you can make better/more competitive AI.
But do you go that route or use a simpler AI algorithm and make up for that with numbers stacked in its favor as it's usually handled?

There won't be free world map exploration in Telepath Tactics. I knew that my resources would be limited in making TT, and so I made a decision at the outset to really really focus those resources on doing a few things extremely well. In so doing, I avoided the issues that Doublebear described in their Dead State post-mortem (too many systems with resources spread too thin to flesh them all out and make them all compelling). As we all know, exploration kinda blows unless you have the means to fill in the world with interesting stuff, and I couldn't have accomplished that while also making the combat as deep and polished as I did.

That said, in future titles, I'll be able to build off the framework I established here right from the start, so you can likely expect a navigable overworld to make an appearance!

As for the AI...I actually have an article on that topic that I'll be posting in the coming weeks.

Oh, and mindx2--check your email. ;)

;

Educated
I ha e backed Telebath tacttic and I have faith in you craig stern

mindx2

Patron
Thanks Craig Stern I happen to be a little distracted by GOG's release of Outlaws this afternoon but I plan on diving in to your little gem this weekend. I will attempt a review but, as I said before, there are others here who are much better at dissecting a game's mechanics than I am. My review will probably trend more towards my likes and dislikes of the games in more general terms. Call it a cRPG layman's review if you must... :oops:

Thank goodness I have until April 15th to write the thing. That should give me just enough time :lol:

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
That said, in future titles, I'll be able to build off the framework I established here right from the start, so you can likely expect a navigable overworld to make an appearance!
Great to know, another reason to root for this game. You should at a look at Blackguards, their mix of F"inal Fantasy Tactics-like" world exploration with CYOA segments worked very well, even if somewhat underused.

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
I am so behind on playing things; it's actually sort of sad! I am going to need to disappear behind a screen for a few weeks after TT comes out. I imagine I'll enjoy Blackguards, though D:OS is on the top of my list.

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
2 days until release! I'd probably be nervous, but frankly, I'm too exhausted from running the Gauntlet of Absurdity that is prepping the game for Steam. Holy cow is that ever a convoluted process.

Anyway! In between bouts of squinting at a DOS-style command console and tearing my hair out, I've managed to throw together a handy little guide for folks who want to give Telepath Tactics a go but need more guidance on how to approach its myriad tactical considerations. (TT's a tough game, so I figure many folks'll need this.)

Without further ado, I present to you Telepath Tactics: 24 Tips for Survival!

Stargazer_

Cant wait probably going to buy it. I loved the 2nd flash game and telepathic rpg servants of god, They're time wasters especially when you set the difficulty to brutal.

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
Remind me dude, is this gonna be a full release or early access?

Full!

Cant wait probably going to buy it. I loved the 2nd flash game and telepathic rpg servants of god, They're time wasters especially when you set the difficulty to brutal.

Thanks dude! I hope you like it!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom