Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Telepath Tactics Liberated - deterministic tactical RPG inspired by Fire Emblem

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
Thanks, guys! :)

Craig Stern
That's interesting. Good riddance to Flash, really. What tech are you using now? Also the screenshot suggests you're going further than that. Are you going to convert Telepath Tactics into a Final Fantasy Tactics-style 3D game?

As vonAchdorf suggests, I'm using Unity going forward. Any remake of TT in this new engine will be the same basic game; it won't be made any more FF Tactics-y than it is now. So why 3D? The 3D graphics offer two big advantages:

(1) I won't need to rely on screwy 2D approximations to portray elevation differences anymore. (Which is to say, no more nonsense like that side-facing stairwell in the bar fight that you can't actually shoot down.)

(2) You'll be able to rotate the game camera to see battles from different angles. (This is already 100% supported in the engine as it exists today.)

Thanks for the dedication Craig, the non-Windows version were probably responsible just for a fraction of the sales, and still seemed to require a disproportionate amount of work from what I read.

The non-Windows versions didn't cause too much trouble apart from Steam; it's really Steam that was the problem there, tbh. I'll still support non-Windows builds of my games going forward, but I won't be so quick to promise Steam support for them.

I'm not so sure about the "real" 3D in the screenshot - the old 2D engine was visually nice, while this looks a bit confusing.

The reason it looks confusing in that screenshot isn't because it's 3D; it's because those characters are standing on a battlefield consisting of identical tiles at wholly randomized levels of elevation. Trust me, it'll look better once I start crafting actual, coherent levels in it. ;)

(1) I won't need to rely on screwy 2D approximations to portray elevation differences anymore. (Which is to say, no more nonsense like that side-facing stairwell in the bar fight that you can't actually shoot down.)

But those approximations never looked bad. Not once I have been confused or thought elevations felt forced.

(2) You'll be able to rotate the game camera to see battles from different angles. (This is already 100% supported in the engine as it exists today.)

The most unnecessary and useless feature ever.

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
The issues with the distorted 2D elevations weren't cosmetic so much as mechanical. Shooting sideways onto the ground from an elevated position was impossible, there was no way to accurately portray range when shooting upward/downward to ground level from the top of a cliff or tower, etc.

You're right that the ability to rotate the camera wasn't essential in any of the levels you see in Telepath Tactics (they were specifically designed to be viewed from the one supported viewing angle, after all)--but this will open up a lot of new options for designing new levels using that engine--and in a few cases, may be essential to make things work with the newly non-distorted range/elevation interactions.

Niektory

one of some
Patron
I understand the advantages with going 3D, but I like the current 2D pixel art look and I highly doubt it will look as good in 3D. It's also likely to be more fiddly with rotatable camera. So I'm a little torn here.

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
Yeah; I like the pixel art as well, but it seems we may be in the minority on that one! I actually posted a poll a month or so ago in the Facebook group "Tactical Turn Based Games," asking which type of projection people preferred. 3D perspective won in a landslide:

CameraPerspectivePollResults.png

You can see perspective in that KS update; here's orthographic projection, which is in the old style:

Orthographic.png

Niektory

one of some
Patron
Well... If you used that screenshot as an example it's not surprising that it lost. It may be the same projection the old engine used but it obviously looks much worse. You can't say based on that poll that people didn't like the old look, because the options were The Ugly New Look 1 vs. The Ugly New Look 2.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Craig Stern

If you're doing a 3d camera can you at least have set camera orientations the player can cycle through (like FFT) and not a free form camera that will inevitably lead to fighting with it?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Yeah; I like the pixel art as well, but it seems we may be in the minority on that one! I actually posted a poll a month or so ago in the Facebook group "Tactical Turn Based Games," asking which type of projection people preferred. 3D perspective won in a landslide
I was flabbergasted when this week on twitter reddit people were calling Duelyst's pixel art ugly and lazy. Seriously, check this shit:

Artist:
https://twitter.com/adamklingpixel

Random HQ video, better watch muted:

Apparently the new generation equates pixel art with low production values and would rather get LBA levels of 3D modelling.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
I guess I'm from a different generation (I'm 28) but 2D art almost always looks better to me, at least in terms of RPGs/Strategy games. Yes, there are some indie developers who go a little too far with the minimalism of their pixel art, but for the most part there seems to be a lot of really talented people creating some wonderful art direction by classic means. Again, this could be nostalgia talking, but from my perspective 2D art is almost always more aesthetically pleasing/just plain more classy. I really love the art in Telepath Tactics, and I think if it was polished a bit more it could be even more pleasing to the eyes. Particularly the environments.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
The campaign has been successful. The masses have accepted 'pixel art' as an artistic style as opposed to calling it 'shitty graphics' by today's technical standards.

That's not necessarily a comment on this game. Just saying.

roshan

Arcane
Hopefully the current version will remain available even after the new one releases!

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
The current plan is to leave the original release up there no matter what; any updated version I put out will be a "special edition" or somesuch.

Craig SternIf you're doing a 3d camera can you at least have set camera orientations the player can cycle through (like FFT) and not a free form camera that will inevitably lead to fighting with it?

Yup! The camera rotates at fixed 90-degree intervals, so as to play nice with the sprite art / keep things coherent / not look terrible.

Great news. Will the Unity version allow saving during fights?

That would be good, wouldn't it? I'll see what I can do.

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
Holy crap that art is fucking amazing! <3 <3

I doubt you will be doing a video card game of this though?

Thanks! I actually spent some time creating a digital version of the board game (it's how I started off teaching myself Unity), but decided to let it lie until I know that the actual physical board game is popular enough to make a digital adaptation a feasible commercial project.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom