Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Telepath Tactics - deterministic tactical RPG inspired by Fire Emblem

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by ColCol, May 14, 2014.

1. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Oh, you nigger.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    Chess is deterministic.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. Craig Stern Sinister Design Developer

Craig Stern
    Nah. Determinism usually refers to mechanics which allow you to predict with 100% certainty the outcome of your individual choices--but because you (and your opponent) will make different choices each time, the game is never the same twice. Think about Chess, or Go--does every game of these that you play turn out exactly the same? Probably not, right? You and your opponent are going to be making different choices and trying out new strategies in each game. So even though the outcome of any one choice is predictable, the course of each match can still vary pretty wildly.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. vazha Liturgist

vazha
    Except no, he couldn't. I've got no qualms about women being presented as main characters, or frontline fighters, for that matter. Mr.Stern certainly has all the artistic licence he needs to portray ladies as leading characters, notwithstanding what the real history might have to say on that matter. And I have played and enjoyed titles like Heroine's Quest, Kult and Joan of Arc, among others. What I dislike here is simplistic, schoolgirl fanfiction lvl writing that relies on all the worst feminist cliches around (simplistic might not be bad per se - Mr. Bean is comedy at its simplest, yet immensely enjoyable, while this is another kind of simplistic - crude, banal and thoroughly uninspiring). I'm not saying this kind of writing or storylines don't have a right to exist - if the game was an equally simplistic garbage, it would be a match made in heaven, but seeing as the game is a complex, nuanced tacticool rpg, this kind of storytelling diminishes the whole experience. Well, it did for me.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
    So it's like deterministic combat rather than annoying RNG. Sounds good. A deterministic game would be not so much.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    ^ Top  
  6. Craig Stern Sinister Design Developer

Craig Stern
    Hey all! It's a new year, and that means I posted another bigassed round-up on my progress. One thing I'll mention right here: mid-battle saving is now in-game and working as intended! Beyond that, click that link for all the details. :)

• Brofist Brofist x 13
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Gazing at his slowly refilling game shelves ;-)
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'll post the full thing here if you don't mind Craig Stern. Liking all the improvements but how close are you to the re-release?

• Brofist Brofist x 11
    ^ Top  
  8. Craig Stern Sinister Design Developer

Craig Stern
    No prob, and thanks!

For logistical reasons, there's a good chance that I'll be releasing a brand-new title (same universe, related story) using the engine before I do the special edition TT re-release. In either case, though, my best guess is that the next release will be coming in 2020, and that the other should follow in the year after.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    • incline incline x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    Is that a good idea? I personally bought TT and enjoyed it, but the bugs started to get annoying enough that I stopped my playthrough to wait for them to be fixed. Of course they were not.

Releasing another game before releasing a fixed version of TT kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth tbh.

I’ll prolly wait to purchase any of your new titles till we get a TT re-release that fixes the issues.

But that’s just my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Patching TT would generate little to no new sales, in no small part because it’s saddled with negative Steam reviews and won’t get new press reviews. Releasing a new game gives him a clean slate and the possibility of significant revenues. Seems like a much wiser course.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Siveon Bot

Siveon
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Also also, what could be a good move is just have a new steam listing for the upgraded version (so to remove the negatives) whilst giving THAT version to previous customers. Win win.

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    Look, I just want to play a bug free Telepath Tactics game. Whatever works I guess. Just sucks to have to wait.

^ Top  
  13. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm surprised you couldn't finish the game. At release there was the very annoying slowdown when battles dragged on but that was patched. Once that was fixed I was able to finish with maybe 2 crashes total...

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    I kept getting the inventory bugs over and over. As well as the slowdowns.

^ Top  
  15. Craig Stern Sinister Design Developer

Craig Stern
    I hear ya. Frankly, TT and the new game are going to share 98% of their systems, so except for a few months of producing battles, working on one will essentially mean making progress on the other. That's true for the releases, too: if I release the new game first and spend months fixing bugs from user reports, those bug fixes will accrue to the TT re-release's benefit. It mostly just comes down to which one makes more sense to release when, more than anything.

One thing I'm actually curious about: I know I didn't do a great job of reining in feature creep with TT, and I have a suspicion that it shipped with at least a couple of systems that involved a disproportionate amount of work relative to the actual user enjoyment they produced. For instance: did anyone actually enjoy the proc gen maps? Would the campaign not have been better with singular, hand-designed maps where those appeared? Is it really worth coding that whole system again? And what about local multiplayer? It kinda felt like that fell flat as a selling point, and ended up just making Steam users mad when they read "multiplayer," ignored the word "local" preceding it, and discovered that the multiplayer was not, in fact, online. What say you, Codex?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    1. I always like hand crafted maps vs procedure generated ones, but I don’t have a preference regarding your game.

2. I don’t think I saw anyone talk about multiplayer once. I’m not a big MP fan.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Calling it hotseat mode instead of local multiplayer might have helped.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. vazha Liturgist

vazha
    Please don't do a related story. In fact, please forget you ever wrote this story in the first place. Do something along the lines of earlier telepath titles at least.

^ Top  
  19. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Craig Stern This with me leaning more towards hand crafted maps

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  20. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Yes. I liked TT and would buy the new version to support Craig, but a new title would interest me more.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Craig Stern Sinister Design Developer

Craig Stern
    What's up, RPG chums? I just wanted to pop in to say that I've been assiduously slaving away in the game dev mines all these months, and things are coming along smoothly. I'll be doing my usual end-of-year progress report in approximately a month-and-a-half, and announcing The Next Thing at around that time as well! "Get hype," as the kids used to say! :D

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    I'd love a gameplay video of the improved engine :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    !!

What Dwarf Fortress madness is this?!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Craig Stern Sinister Design Developer

Craig Stern
    I expect I'll be putting that out at about the same time as the rest! (The video, I mean. The Dwarf Fortress madness...that's another matter!)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Yeah do it like Original Sin, which released its Enhanced Edition as a seperate game with its own Steam library entry. Every purchaser of the game got the EE for free, and everyone who buys the game now can install both the classic and enhanced edition at the same time and choose which one to play.

Craig Stern that would be the ideal solution, especially since you switched engines, so people can still play the old game if they want to for some reason, but also get the upgrade for free if they already own the game.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.