Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Telepath Tactics Liberated - deterministic tactical RPG inspired by Fire Emblem

Fatberg Slim

Educated
Patron
Congrats on the release!

Before buying, I wanted to confirm that this version includes the ability to save mid-battle as previously announced. I liked the original TT a lot, but had to quit playing due to being a huge pussy not having enough time to finish many battles in one sitting.

CSH Picone

Educated
Have been playing since the release, here's my first impressions:
https://www.cshpicone.com/gaming/first-impressions/fi-telepath-tactics-liberated

I’ve only ever played one Fire Emblem game (Radiant Dawn - sue me! I was a Sega guy) but I loved it and I’ve been looking for more ever since. And while that series remains restricted to Nintendo consoles, Telepath Tactics Liberated (TTL) definitely scratches the itch. The gameplay is very similar and while the story doesn’t share the same epic scale as Radiant Dawn, it instead provides a much more intimate tale, and everyone loves an underdog story.

And you are very much the underdog. I’m roughly a third of the way through the game and so far I have been outmanned and outgunned on every level, which is the way I like it. Survival comes down to working out how and when to attack, using absolutely everything at your disposal, and making the right sacrifices. The environment plays a huge part in your strategizing. There are open fields, fortress interiors, bridges, all the expected layouts, but you can also interact with everything on the map. Bushes and trees can be cut down, you can fly over water or push people into it, and you can also prepare explosives and lay traps. When the engineer joins your party, you can even build your own bridges and barricades. The maps are all hand-created have so far been well-designed to create some genuinely challenging scenarios. There are, of course, a huge range of playable characters, races, classes, weapon types – huge variety throughout. However, my favourite aspect of the game has been the mission design. Sure, some levels are just “beat the enemy” – both skirmish and large-scale – but there are also hit and run missions, stealth missions, and still others involve racing against the clock to collect resources before enemy reinforcements arrive.

TTL’s a great size; the dev anticipates that the included campaign should last around 20 hours, which is decent all on its own. However, TTL also provides an editor, which lets you not only create your own campaign but also allows you to create infinite skirmish maps, either custom-made or generated as you please.

The verdict? If you’re a turn-based tactical fan, TTL is a no-brainer. Get it. Pay full price.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
I bought Telepath Tactics in 2016. Maybe now would finally be the time to give it a go :lol:.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Craig Stern Already hit a bug. I get the same "TEXT TEXT TEXT" bug right after shopping the first time at the rescued caravan. It switches to the Deploy screen with rows and rows of "TEXT TEXT TEXT" and I couldn't click on anything. Had to force quit.

Codex Year of the Donut
Craig Stern I see you received a very prestigious recommendation
ZMu5Y7x.png

Darth Canoli

Arcane

Feedback

• I like the game, good combat, mostly skipping through the story.
  • I think you're planning an option to skip combat animations? A animation speed slider would be even better, it's possible as cheat engine speedhack does just that (as suggested by someone in the steam forum), x2 speed is just perfect.
  • Inventory management is tedious, we should be able to replace + equip any equipment, it's probably too late for a paper doll like equipment management, a shame.
  • When you're in the inventory management of one character, it'd be nice to have a way to skip to previous/next character directly without having to exit and then pick another one, one click saved, usually, during shop missions, you'll check everyone's inventory anyway.
  • During combat, a next unit button would be nice as well.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Also, it was already requested here and there but customized difficulty settings would be great. (or just add an option to remove equipment degradation)

Last but not least, being able to stack items but only in the shared inventory
- Armors and misc items
- Consumable with different stacks depending on the number of uses left.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just was wondering if I was missing text/story from the bug?

Depends! Which battle? (There are two possible battles that can follow from the caravan shop.)
The Gunther battle. Unfortunately, it bugged again. All I had left was Gunther and the bowman on the ridge left. When all my characters had moved or attacked there was no UI on the bottom for me to end my turn. It never popped back on screen. I was stuck and had to quit to desktop. This battle just doesn't like me... :cry:

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
Well, the good news is that you missed no story! I'm aware of a bug that can occur if you click at the exact moment the level-up screen is spawning; it'll cause the actions bar to vanish. If that happens, you can Shift + E to end your turn or space bar to auto-select a character (which should make it come back).

Brickfrog

Learned
Well, the good news is that you missed no story! I'm aware of a bug that can occur if you click at the exact moment the level-up screen is spawning; it'll cause the actions bar to vanish. If that happens, you can Shift + E to end your turn or space bar to auto-select a character (which should make it come back).
Thanks, I just ran into this and came here to report it haha.

Enjoying the game a lot man :)

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
Another day, another update! As of today, TTL now supports custom difficulty: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1849820?emclan=103582791471171187&emgid=3110305364534847358

Patch version 1.0.08

Today we have a much-awaited update: custom difficulty is now supported in the main campaign! You can now customize weapon durability, death rules, AI level, experience scaling, shop prices, and more to tailor the game to your own preferences.

In addition, we have the following changes:

-- the game now supports cut scene menus with more than 6 options! (Page picker buttons will appear to let you navigate between pages of menu options.)

-- added an eighth level of AI handicap: actively avoids backstabbing targets.

-- improved the Guide explanation for AddPortrait.

-- fixed: a nonexistent entry (Psy Res.) was included in the TextSprite section of the Guide.

-- fixed: the deployment screen's formula for determining the number of pages of characters used a ceiling function when it should use a floor function, resulting in it inappropriately displaying the option to flip to a second page when the player's roster was exactly 18 characters (one full page) in size.

-- removed the preapplied Use triggers from the one-use switches in Rescuing Meridian, Coria Dogs - Ground Floor, and Clash at the Mines Entrance.

-- fixed: if an OnTurn dialogue with an EndConvImmediately action triggered, it would cause the game to initiate the turn twice, resulting in double application of damaging status effects like Burning and Poisoned. (If an enemy burned to death in this way, it could potentially cause the game to freeze by making Rebecca level up and then overriding that with further experience from the second application of Burning now telling the game that she isn't leveling up after all.)

The rate of patching is going to slow down going forward; I'll be aiming to update the game once every 1-2 weeks. Priorities going forward include in-game browsing and downloading of custom campaigns; finishing gamepad support, adding support for promoted and custom classes in the character creator, and adding support for custom portrait assets. Until next time!

Last edited by a moderator:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I'm playing in veteran difficulty and the game is mostly easy, except for a couple of missions like the rescue and outside of the bandit's fortress.

It's less challenging than Warbanners or Vigilantes, to give some recent examples (And KotC 2 is from a different galaxy).

Permadeath adds some spice but as you can restart the mission, it falls flat, sure, there's the ironman option, which I guess I played since I didn't restart any mission even when suffering losses.

Example: The first mission is just piss easy, I sent the 2 main characters to open the bottom chests and the other ones could manage the bandits on their own, the most difficult part was to not kills 4 of them until the treasure chests were opened.

The following attacked caravan mission features 2 neutral units you have to save but each of them can manage 2/3 opponents on their own and they have bandages to heal themselves...

And so on.

I don't know if it's randomized but I got:
some nice boots (+1 mov + sprint skill) from the bottom right chest

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
Heh! Well, this is why we have the Tactician, Iron Man, and now Custom difficulty levels. ;)

How far into the campaign are you?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Heh! Well, this is why we have the Tactician, Iron Man, and now Custom difficulty levels. ;)

I completed it yesterday.
I played in Veteran but never loaded a save and never saved during battle either so I guess it's an Ironman Veteran run.

The final Battle is disappointing, I thought I'd face the real threat after, Shining Force I/II style with a big bad demon I'd have to kill twice.
Also, 2 chests hidden behind 999 hp walls was a real dick move, particularly since you're not even going to use them, I spent 11 turns to blow up the walls on one side and Meridian on the other side opening the second one with his aoe claw move for nothing.

Overall, the only satisfying enemies, outside of swarms during the early missions I mentioned earlier were the bosses, the mages in the small pass fight and the ghosts + golems in the crypt (got all the chests)

The Assassin is overpowered, another similar game, Maiden Tactics (it's on steam) has some sneak/hiding mechanics but there is a % of success depending on how far are the enemies and their perception attributes and you're visible once you attacked.
Here, not only the assassin stays invisible, even when in close combat with two enemies and kills one but his dodge is just insane!

Reminds me another tough fight, possibly the toughest was the first floor of the map thieves mission because of these assassins, one in particular in the first room behind the counter.
I tried to 1 on one him with my assassin, and had to bring the ice mage to kill him along with one of the main characters.

The reason why the game is so easy, particularly late game is because the game spams low level units, seriously, even after getting the lizard level 16, you still fight level 6-9 swordmen doing 9 damage at most.

You'd think by then, blade dancers and high level/ upgraded units would swarm us.

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
We're up to update 1.0.09: Telepath Tactics Liberated now supports browsing and downloading player-created campaigns in-game!

(I've placed the main campaign on Steam Workshop, too, so anyone who wants to create and share their own modified version of it is free to do so.)

Today's big feature: browsing and downloading of custom campaigns from Steam Workshop are now working in-game!

Aside from this:

-- uploaded "The Vengeance of Emma Strider," the game's primary campaign, to Steam Workshop for players to download and modify (or just study).

-- fixed: status effects tacked onto a skill via the ModSkillSFX tag could end up "stuck" on the skill, resulting in every other unit who used the skill also having a chance to impart that status effect. (E.g. if you used the Crossbow skill with someone carrying a Poisoned Crossbow, suddenly every other crossbowman would be able to poison with their own Crossbow attacks.)

-- fixed: items intended to remove status effects were not working correctly.

-- added negating status effects (like Thawed and Extinguished) to the Guide.

-- added a new negating status effect to the game: Neutralized (removes Poisoned).

-- fixed: the custom menu subeditor within the cut scene editor had ceased to function correctly.

-- changed Poisoned status so that it stacks only in terms of duration, not per-turn damage.

-- fixed: the High Roller achievement was being awarded for winning much lower bets than intended.

-- fixed: getting a character crushed by the drawbridge in the bandit fortress outer wall battle would result in the drawbridge not spawning due to the script being interrupted by a death monologue.

-- fixed: the drawbridge-spawning script was still using script actions from the original game that have since been deprecated, and thus would not despawn other objects that had been created or moved into the drawbridge's path.

-- split the DamageCharAt action off from DamageUnitAt, now used for situations where you want to only damage characters and not destructible objects on the battlefield.

-- the info bar no longer shows Together in Battle-specific information (food, food consumption, and salaries).

-- fixed vertical alignment on the female promoted swordsman Double Strike animation.

I completed it yesterday.
I played in Veteran but never loaded a save and never saved during battle either so I guess it's an Ironman Veteran run.

The final Battle is disappointing, I thought I'd face the real threat after, Shining Force I/II style with a big bad demon I'd have to kill twice.
Also, 2 chests hidden behind 999 hp walls was a real dick move, particularly since you're not even going to use them, I spent 11 turns to blow up the walls on one side and Meridian on the other side opening the second one with his aoe claw move for nothing.

Overall, the only satisfying enemies, outside of swarms during the early missions I mentioned earlier were the bosses, the mages in the small pass fight and the ghosts + golems in the crypt (got all the chests)

The Assassin is overpowered, another similar game, Maiden Tactics (it's on steam) has some sneak/hiding mechanics but there is a % of success depending on how far are the enemies and their perception attributes and you're visible once you attacked.
Here, not only the assassin stays invisible, even when in close combat with two enemies and kills one but his dodge is just insane!

Reminds me another tough fight, possibly the toughest was the first floor of the map thieves mission because of these assassins, one in particular in the first room behind the counter.
I tried to 1 on one him with my assassin, and had to bring the ice mage to kill him along with one of the main characters.

The reason why the game is so easy, particularly late game is because the game spams low level units, seriously, even after getting the lizard level 16, you still fight level 6-9 swordmen doing 9 damage at most.

You'd think by then, blade dancers and high level/ upgraded units would swarm us.

Sounds like you should make and post a campaign.

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
I definitely want to see more folks posting their own campaigns! (Or modified versions of the main campaign.) But aside from that, there are two difficulty levels above Veteran already built in that you can use (which do things beyond just limiting reloads), plus a Custom difficulty mode to make a run even harder than those. If Veteran ain't doing it for you, you've got options. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom