Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tell you here!

S4ur0n27

Liturgist
Childish? Maybe. But the codex is too fucking serious, posting there is like a job in a fucking newspaper.

LlamaGod

Cipher
or maybe I should make completely pussy news posts without any unique edge to them at all, esentially just re-writing what blues news and shack news report

that seems to be the popular thing for all the complainers

Astromarine

Erudite
TC could actually be a breath of fresh air to the Kodex Krew, for one simple reason: unlike RPGs, the Strategy genre is alive, well, kicking, and kicking ass. There's great stuff coming out, and loads of developers doing good work with which decent relations could be established to create content. It makes a marked difference with the commercially dying RPG genre, where every dev is either an idiot, a broke indie doing retro stuff, silenced by marketing and managerial pressures, or a member of staff ;).

TC has the potential to be a much more "positive" atmosphere, even if the same standards of moderation and language are maintained. However, there's a couple problems:

The Name. It's stupid, it's ok for a drunken IRC pun but it will hurt you when, say, contacting Paradox for interviews or previews. Whatever, your call, but it's an unnecessary burden.

The Staff. You guys have to decide once and for all if what you want is to run a strategy game fansite or a vehicle for in-jokes and SHOWING TEH MAN!!!1 Realize which of these goals is more important to you, and work towards it.

Example: What the fuck does this mean?
Dwarves? What the fuck are you going to do as them? Dig little holes and hide in the mountains while all the cool stuff happens outside?
It's not that funny. It's not a flaw in the game that it has dwarves. It's not OMG TEH HARD-HITING JORMALISN!!!1! It just reeks of a kid lashing out against teh big bad publisher for daring to make a mainstream game.

Don't do like the Codex: focus on the good stuff being made, and just ignore the obviously-whored-out mainstream crap. You have the luxury of HAVING enough good stuff to cover. Troll for news at Wargamer.com, Apolyton.net, and so on, not on Gamespot. Sure, if a previously-thought-good project is bethesdad, rip it a new asshole and *move on*. The Codex is forced into grouchy-old-man more due to lack of alternatives, not because it's cool or edgy

LlamaGod

Cipher
wargamer.com is one of the reasons I wanted to make the site, because that site is incredibly shitty and I was tired of all strategy game sites just a bunch of morons jerking off over shitty games and acting like everything is peaches and roses

also because lik e90% of 'strategy game' sites will end up covering FPS shit too and what no

and my news posts RULE, NLs are the bad ones D:

LlamaGod

Cipher
OUR LATEST NEWS

FEB 16 Viper X1600 Videocard Available
FEB 15 Maximum Football Readied for Release

FEB 15 Next Lara Croft Model Named

FEB 15 Rumored: PS3 Release Date?

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
I can't say that I've ever had any.. negative experiences with WarGamer.com, so, yeah, what are you getting at?

Astromarine

Erudite
The football game is a management/sim. So they have an Industry News and a Hardware News section. Somehow that makes their coverage of strategy games shit?

Jason

chasing a bee
icon_sadblinky.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom