Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Telltale's Sam & Max Remastered - Seasons 1+2

WallaceChambers

Learned
1604883508338-snm-savetheworld-comparison04.jpeg

... Could be worse. The VR game announcement drove me to attempt suicide. I don't foresee a hospital stay on the back of this game.

WallaceChambers

Learned
Consequently, this update is more than just tweaked visuals and lighting. There are fundamentally new music cues, different camera angles, and altered timing for jokes. They recast the voice actor for Bosco, because it was a black character voiced by a white actor, a creative decision that didn't exactly sit right with the team when they decided to revisit it.
- VICE

lol jk wrists have been slashed

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I’ve read all the comics and played all the games and I genuinely never realized Bosch was supposed to be black.
He wasn't. Bosco was never even seen or heard until the telltale games.

I don't even think he was ever in the comics (I could be mistaken - let me know)

His first "appearance":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brSpfkOFA3w
(The character that Sam & Nax interact with is not Bosco. He is a guy who is robbing Bosco)

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
So a few model and texture updates, plus a new lighting engine. I can see the improvements, I just can't bring myself to care.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
So a few model and texture updates, plus a new lighting engine. I can see the improvements, I just can't bring myself to care.

In addition to the models/textures/lighting updates, they are also advertising:
  • Combines all the separate episodes into one package which is a nice bonus
  • 5 New musical pieces added (composed by original composer & band)
  • Non-compressed audio (original was very bad quality)
  • updated establishing shots & improvement to the comedic timing of some cutscenes
  • native widescreen support (you had to edit some files in the original to achieve this, but this will be more optimized)

it's also only 10 dollars if you own the original (50% off)
and if this sells well it would bode well for a season 4 greenlight

with that in mind, i have already purchased it

Last edited:

Sizzle

Arcane
I'd rather see the original Sam and Max remastered than this.

Going by how all the remasters of LucasArts' games turned out - I'd rather they just leave it alone.

Even Doublefine's remasters removed a lot of the graphical charm the originals had.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Going by how all the remasters of LucasArts' games turned out - I'd rather they just leave it alone.

Even Doublefine's remasters removed a lot of the graphical charm the originals had.
You have the ability to turn back to original if you desire, but you have the high quality remastered music and quality of life improvements, so all in all, the Monkey Island and DF remakes are great and worth the purchase.

Sizzle

Arcane

You have the ability to turn back to original if you desire, but you have the high quality remastered music and quality of life improvements, so all in all, the Monkey Island and DF remakes are great and worth the purchase.

Eh, agree to disagree (especially concerning the MI remakes, those things are abominations), but to each their own.

I know people that discovered these games only because of the remakes, so I guess they are at least good for something - no matter how much I consider the graphical "improvements" downgrades in every conceivable way.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Hey, I did not like the S&M from LucasArt, but I loved the TellTale ones (most of them anyway), but I don't think they were hi-prio for a remake ^^.

XCOM remake when ? :)

ValeVelKal

Arcane
And, in the other episodes, when you click on some objects, Max still has the old voice from episode 1.[/spoiler]
That thread has other examples too. In case anyone wants to see the promises not to change jokes here's their FAQ https://skunkapegames.com/samandmax/faq/ (search "what didn't you change") and also the response from someone with developer tag (maybe community manager) https://steamcommunity.com/app/1440440/discussions/0/2965019884820010604/#c2965019884823697263

Ah. I won't buy it I guess. I am not that shocked by changing a few texts that I would not have noticed otherwise (even if the new jokes are worse than the old ones), but the "in-your-face" lying is showstopper.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
yeah the developer basically told a bold faced lie and censored several jokes
sad state of affairs because i really dug the technical improvements
i would recommend not buying this even though i love these games - that hurts to say.

Dexter

Arcane
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1440440/discussions/0/2965021152083053792/#c2965021152083325676
A lot of voice lines, such as

Episode 1

Original dialogue:

It's the latest in BoscoTech inovation, it'll clear out a room of militant college students in no time, guaranteed.

New dialogue:

It's the latest in BoscoTech inovation, it'll clear out a room in no time, guaranteed.

Episode 2

Original dialogue:

Oh no, the Skinbodies are like Skinheads, but ten times worse!

New dialogue:

Oh no, the Skinbodies are like those horrible hairless cats, but ten times worse!

They also changed the license plate of that car parked next to the Desoto

Original:
DRG DLR

New:
RMS DLR

And, in the other episodes, when you click on some objects, Max still has the old voice from episode 1 (unlike the original).

Episode 3

Original dialogue:

You may call me, Jean-Francois Sissypants, the cowardly French anarchist.

New dialogue:

You may call me, Jean-Francois Bonde-A-Part, the new wave French anarchist.

Which doesn't make sense, considering Sam & Max still call him "Sissypants"

Episode 4:

I didn't notice any change in the dialogue so far, but
the time estimate for the missile to hit Krypton does not show up (might be a bug).

Episode 5:

They changed one of Bob's line

Original dialogue:

Take our complimentary goggles designed for special-needs children so that the little ones can play along.

New Dialogue:

Take our complimentary wide-fit goggles designed for playing while bicycling or enjoying full-contact sports!

Original dialogue:

It's 'cause everyone on the internet has to pick an avatar, like a dwarf or an orc or an hot young fifteen-year- old girl curious about the adult world and willing to experiment.

New Dialogue:

It's cause everyone on the internet has to pick an avatar, like a dwarf or an orc or a troll... But we've got enough trolls.

Original dialogue:

Half-elf, foo'!

New dialogue:

Half- elf, troll!

Episode 6:

Original dialogue:

Max: A hundred trillion?! You crazy, foo'!

Bosco: Look man, all I know is, I keep making up the most ridiculous price I can think of, and you keep paying it! So I ask you, who's the foo'?

New dialogue:

Look man, all I know is, I keep making up the most ridiculous price I can think of, and you keep paying it! So I ask you, who's the crazy one?

Him saying "crazy" doesn't make sense, since Max called him a "fool".

They also removed a lot of dialogue, such as:

1-"Why the sex change"

Sam: Mind telling us how you came to be a woman?

Max: Did you use lasers, or just do it the old-fashioned way?

Bosco: Are you sassin' me? Boy I'll whup your behind so hard you won't be able to see straight!

Max: But I don't see out of my behind.

Bosco: You will after I get through with you!

2- "How's life as a woman?"

Sam: So how are those BoscoTech breasts holdin' up?

Bosco: Oh, these are all natural, honey.

Max: I'm not gonna lie, I like 'em bosomy.

Bosco: Oh, Max, you take after your father.

Max: Okay, you just crossed the line, pal!

Sam: Easy Max, theoretically, we have even more disturbed people to worry about right now.

Neuromancer

Augur
I hope they will at least provide original versions without any changes to owners of this remaster for free, iirc they did say that they want to provide old versions but didn't specify in what way they'll do it.
As one person who got suckered into preordering the new version of Sam & Max based on false promises, at least I can say:
Yes, the old version is included! (I didn't install and test it yet, but I think it is the real deal.)

But, if you have bought the old version from the Telltale web site a few year ago, you can just get the original version via the Skunkape website for free anyway and can choose if you like a Steam or GOG key.

This is so weird. How brazen and incompetent do these guys have to be not to realize this would completely blow up in their faces?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom