Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Telltale's Sam & Max Remastered - Seasons 1+2

prengle

Savant
i don't see this as completely apocalyptic since only one character was really affected, but it's still lame as shit and sets a pretty bad fucking precedent for the ip. tell purcell he's a shameful cuck, i'm going back to looking at drawings of max's gay fat rabbit ass

Dexter

Arcane

Those are some tame-ass jokes to begin with.
Were they really afraid that a large coalition of militant college students was going to come after them?
Not that surprising in retrospect, apparently "Jake Rodkin" of Campo Santo is part of the team making this "Remaster" and he literally paid bail for those "militant college students" earlier this year:

unknown.png

Last edited:

Neuromancer

Augur
Industries moving to meet the demands of the market,...
Do you really think that the free market has anything to do with this decsion?
:nocountryforshitposters:

I bet you, that if you put two remastered version out today for the same price:
one with all the origial lines intact and another with the removed jokes and rewritten and rerecorded lines for that one character, the majority of people would buy the first version.

Censorship is when governments try to tell the public what to think, what to read and watch and play.
Sorry, but this is nonsense. Censorship is censorship!
It doesn't matter if the government does it, news cooperations, book publishers, online content providers or even Mickey Mouse.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
pretty racist of the developers to recast a voice actor because they don't like what race he is
and then on top of that, to censor dialogue, and then LIE about it?
pretty fucked up, no surprise the leftists are cheering them on

ekrolo2

Learned
Episode 3

Original dialogue:

You may call me, Jean-Francois Sissypants, the cowardly French anarchist.

New dialogue:

You may call me, Jean-Francois Bonde-A-Part, the new wave French anarchist.

Which doesn't make sense, considering Sam & Max still call him "Sissypants"[/spoiler]
Okay, out of all the one's here this one bugs the shit out of me the most. Why is his French identity changed?! What, is it current year that sissypants is offensive to someone? Who?!

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Episode 3

Original dialogue:

You may call me, Jean-Francois Sissypants, the cowardly French anarchist.

New dialogue:

You may call me, Jean-Francois Bonde-A-Part, the new wave French anarchist.

Which doesn't make sense, considering Sam & Max still call him "Sissypants"[/spoiler]
Okay, out of all the one's here this one bugs the shit out of me the most. Why is his French identity changed?! What, is it current year that sissypants is offensive to someone? Who?!

What does the new "joke" even mean... Seems like they just replaced it with gibberish.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
The devs might be politispergs but they still want to make money. The free market will decide if their remaster is worth money or not. I haven't done any market research but it may be that the audience for these games are sensitive extremist retards and they will make more money this way.
It doesn't matter if the government does it, news cooperations, book publishers, online content providers or even Mickey Mouse.
Censorship is the anti-thesis to the free market, the removal of the freedom of choice. You can't force Disney to release violent slasher films featuring rape, but if that's what you want then you also don't have to buy Disney movies. Disney also can't prevent you from selling that either, they might not want to publish it themselves, but they have no power over that sort of thing. Government censorship does however and that is what censorship means. You can't release games that make fun of commies in China, that's censorship, or games that mention certain things or does this or that. Some countries pretty much forbid violence and blood, others forbid nudity. That's actual censorship. Developers and publishers changing their products to appeal to certain audiences is not censorship.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
The devs might be politispergs but they still want to make money. The free market will decide if their remaster is worth money or not. I haven't done any market research but it may be that the audience for these games are sensitive extremist retards and they will make more money this way.
Censorship is the anti-thesis to the free market, the removal of the freedom of choice. You can't force Disney to release violent slasher films featuring rape, but if that's what you want then you also don't have to buy Disney movies. Disney also can't prevent you from selling that either, they might not want to publish it themselves, but they have no power over that sort of thing. Government censorship does however and that is what censorship means. You can't release games that make fun of commies in China, that's censorship, or games that mention certain things or does this or that. Some countries pretty much forbid violence and blood, others forbid nudity. That's actual censorship. Developers and publishers changing their products to appeal to certain audiences is not censorship.

Your argument is something like a developer creates a game for a strict Christian market so it's natural they would remove things that Christians might find offensive.

So, you are saying that if somebody remastered Sam and Max for a strict Christian market and removed some content for not being "Christian enough" that it would not in fact be them censoring the content because they were merely doing it do have greater appeal to their target demographic.

What an incredibly pedantic and worthless argument. It's 100% censorship.

Grim Monk

Arcane
It's Bowdlerization, not censorship.

:M
:deathclaw:
The terms Bowdlerization/Expurgation are applicable but those are still merely definitions of a specific type of Censorship...

Expurgation, also known as bowdlerization, is a form of censorship which involves purging anything deemed noxious or offensive from an artistic work, or other type of writing of media.

It like you are saying "This Is Bread, Not Food!"

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I just finished episode one. What's funny is they only cut Bosco lines because they were going to re-record the character anyway. There are other lines that are probably just as "oh no it's 2020" that they didn't touch, because they already had the VO in the bag. Anyway... it IS annoying to me, but since the original version is still available uncut, and it's only like one joke per episode, I can live with it I think. If they had patched the original to edit lines out I would be fucking livid.

The game looks and sounds SO much fucking better it's crazy. A rare remaster where gameplay/visual/audio wise it's all improvement. Game holds up okay. I seem to remember getting really bored as the season went on and they reused the same locations and characters, but as a 2 hour mini-adventure episode one is enjoyable. Puzzles are mostly easy, even though I didn't remember them much. Only one that took me a minute was how to get $10,000.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Anyway... it IS annoying to me, but since the original version is still available uncut, and it's only like one joke per episode, I can live with it I think.
Where is it legally available uncut? They purposefully removed season 1 from Steam so you have to buy the remaster if you don't already own it.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Where is it legally available uncut? They purposefully removed season 1 from Steam so you have to buy the remaster if you don't already own it.

If you anywhere near remotely care about this issue then surely you've bought the original in the last 15 years?

To be clear then, you were totally full of shit with your "hey the original is still available" lie. Got it.
Yes you seem to be the exact type who would defend left wing politically motivated censorship in video games.

Skunkape: "Lol shut up you idiots, we totally didn't censor anything - We simply got rid of jokes that we deem politically offensive in the current year!"

DalekFlay: "It's fine because the original is still available! What's that? Shut up you idiot, of course it's no longer for sale, it's [current year]!"

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I find it hard to imagine a person who is upset by this and yet never bought the game over the last 15 years. Should the original still be available for new purchases? Sure. Am I filled with rage and anger because it's not? Nah.

Also I'm pretty sure GOG gives you both when you buy it, like with the D&D games.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I find it hard to imagine a person who is upset by this and yet never bought the game over the last 15 years.
because new customers don't exist

you are a really stupid person

Also I'm pretty sure GOG gives you both when you buy it, like with the D&D games.

you're pretty sure, huh?... oh okay, i'll trust your judgement since you haven't lied already or anything...

Last edited:
Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Your argument is something like a developer creates a game for a strict Christian market so it's natural they would remove things that Christians might find offensive.
Yes.
So, you are saying that if somebody remastered Sam and Max for a strict Christian market and removed some content for not being "Christian enough" that it would not in fact be them censoring the content because they were merely doing it do have greater appeal to their target demographic.
Also yes. Trying to appeal to a market is not censorship. So if you remove scenes from a film for example to make it more family friendly is that censorship? No it isn't, you are adapting it to a target audience. You can't distinguish this from any other changes you make to these kinds of products. What makes censorship bullshit is because you have another party that says you can't sell something for X reason. Let's say you want to sell video games in the middle-east to arabs. Censorship is when their governments tell you that your game can't feature things and they have to be removed to be sold. If you want to sell your game there you have to localize it for that market though and that can involve making changes that appeal to that market. To retards this might seem like the same thing, big gov demanding for example that there is no drinkable alcohol in the game or the publisher removing alcohol in the game to appeal to that market. But it isn't the same at all, one is censorship and the other is creative decisions to maximize sales.

What I want to know is what the extremist politispergs suggest should be done about companies wanting to maximize profit by this process. Are games locked in after they are released and must be preserved and sold in this state until the sun burns out? You can't distinguish changes either, if you make a new model and asset for a remake with higher resolution is that also "censorship"? I'm going by the correct and very clear cut definition of censorship so it's easy for me to say that it isn't. You on the other hand must define "censorship" now since you keep using the word wrong. If they change a song in the game, is that "censorship"?

Grim Monk

Arcane
Ok lets see:

A book publisher is burnt down by a mob for political or religious reasons.
Donut Touch said:
Not censorship since its not the government!

A writer is shot by a fanatic for writing a expose about a cult leader.
Donut Touch said:

A journalist writing about a crime syndicate gets a photo of his family with X marks drawn over their heads and a single word "RECONSIDER".
Donut Touch said:

Is this accurate to your position?

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I find it hard to imagine a person who is upset by this and yet never bought the game over the last 15 years.

New customers wouldn't care about this, that was my point from the start. Anyone who cares owns it already. Also, again, I'm against the changes. I'm just saying editing the original via a forced patch would be a lot worse. I get that you're super emo about this shit, but FFS dude take your culture war purity test and shove it up your ass.

EruDaan

Arcane
i don't see this as completely apocalyptic since only one character was really affected, but it's still lame as shit and sets a pretty bad fucking precedent for the ip. tell purcell he's a shameful cuck, i'm going back to looking at drawings of max's gay fat rabbit ass

Yeah, and next time it's two characters and SOME parts of their conversations. Then, some year later in another remake its several characters whose personalities are completely exchanged for something more political correct and so forth until whole games are completely rewritten... the Ministry of Truth sends its regards. Also the Memory Hole wanted to send a "how-are-you" letter but was occupied with Boscoes voice, jokes and parts of his lines.

Do not and I repeat DO NOT underestimate the SJWs! Since 2014~15 everything and more we then laughed about and mocked became reality. And now no one's mocking them anymore because of pain of cancel culture, getting banned from ANY social media platform and/or getting doxxed.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

New customers wouldn't care about this, that was my point from the start. Anyone who cares owns it already. Also, again, I'm against the changes. I'm just saying editing the original via a forced patch would be a lot worse. I get that you're super emo about this shit, but FFS dude take your culture war purity test and shove it up your ass.

Your opinion that new customers wouldn't care about being lied to is based on nothing but your own personal speculation, it is not based in reality.

Facts:

• The company censored jokes they deemed offensive, then they lied about it to their customers, and now you are defending them for it like a good consoomer.
  • Then you lied, because you are exactly like the NPCs who butchered this remaster, and claimed the original was still available. When I pointed out you were full of shit, you got butthurt.
  • You are a colossal faggot.

Last edited:

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
When they came for Sam & Max the least offensive offensive thing ever, we knew nobody was safe.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
New customers wouldn't care about this, that was my point from the start.

I'm somewhat interested in adventure games and enjoyed the original Sam & Max.
I have not bought this one yet.
I added it to my Steam wishlist when it came out.
But then I saw the reviews that mentioned the censorship and my interest immediately vanished.

New customers do care about a game they're about to buy being cut-down from its original vision.
Are you fucking retarded?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom