Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Temple of Elemental Evil

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik
Can somebody explain to me why PFK with the turn-based mod is not an improvement/iteration on, or at least a pretty decent version of the same thing as, ToEE turn-based combat?

I got mocked here for saying this a while ago, but to me, PFK+turn-based is pretty much the same thing as ToEE, just with better graphics. (I was so chuffed when the guy came out with the mod for PFK because I'd always loved ToEE and wanted to see something like that again.)
It's not an improvement because Kingmaker AI doesn't know how to handle the turn based mod and the game wasn't developed with strict turns in mind. You see all the times enemies wasting their turns with pointless movements or forgetting to take 5-feet steps. It's still great, but, being a mod, everything feels rough and unpolished. Maybe with the upcoming August patch that will introduce the official turn based mode things will get better, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Our best bet is the new TB mode getting high praise from the mainstream public and convincing Owlcat to spend a lot of resources on that in Wrath of the Righteous.

Do you still think that the official turn based mod is not that great considering the AI?

rojay

Scholar
Can somebody explain to me why PFK with the turn-based mod is not an improvement/iteration on, or at least a pretty decent version of the same thing as, ToEE turn-based combat?

I got mocked here for saying this a while ago, but to me, PFK+turn-based is pretty much the same thing as ToEE, just with better graphics. (I was so chuffed when the guy came out with the mod for PFK because I'd always loved ToEE and wanted to see something like that again.)
It's not an improvement because Kingmaker AI doesn't know how to handle the turn based mod and the game wasn't developed with strict turns in mind. You see all the times enemies wasting their turns with pointless movements or forgetting to take 5-feet steps. It's still great, but, being a mod, everything feels rough and unpolished. Maybe with the upcoming August patch that will introduce the official turn based mode things will get better, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Our best bet is the new TB mode getting high praise from the mainstream public and convincing Owlcat to spend a lot of resources on that in Wrath of the Righteous.

Do you still think that the official turn based mod is not that great considering the AI?
Not speaking for anyone else, but going turn-based made the game easier. I didn't really see much of a difference between the AI in the fan mod and the official turn-based mode. Only played through them once each, though.

I'm hoping that if they're baking turn-based into this game from the start, it will improve the AI in both modes.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Don't get me wrong, I love the turn based mode in Kingmaker and that's how I play the game. However, there are many small details that make it evident the mode was just tacked onto the original game. For example, once you attack an enemy, you have to fully commit to a full-attack and you don't get to decide the targets of your next attacks. This only matters in fringe cases, but when it does it shows the cracks in the implementation. Also the behavior of the brain-dead AI becomes too apparent when you look at it from the turn-based perspective: basically, the only thing your enemies can do is to target and attack the first character they see. There are very few occasions where their behavior differs from that (like the archers in Pitax who somehow know how to target your backline).

Even with the turn-based mode, Kingmaker can't be compared to a legit turn-based game like KotC 2.

Last edited:

Gargaune

Magister

This comes down to encounter design and the relevant AI routines as well. RTwP is best served by a preponderance of trash mobs and mini-bosses and you don't want the AI to be too sophisticated, lest you wear out your Space bar, whereas TB requires a steady flow of challenging encounters to be gratifying. And this isn't a diss at RTwP, by the way, I enjoy both modes. When I was last playing PFKM, I still ended up running RTwP through the left-click fodder and only turning TB on for the more serious engagements.

But as an aside, my biggest gripe with PFKM's TB mode is that slight delay around turns. You've got a silly pause at the beginning of combat, and the end of each turn takes a moment to "sink in", unlike ToEE which is instantaneous.

JDR13

Arcane
So I'm thinking of replaying this while I wait for Solasta to get another patch or two. It's probably been about a decade since I played it.

If I just want bugfixes but without extra content then I only need to install the basic CO8 patch, right? I'm going to be playing the GOG version.

rojay

Scholar
So I'm thinking of replaying this while I wait for Solasta to get another patch or two. It's probably been about a decade since I played it.

If I just want bugfixes but without extra content then I only need to install the basic CO8 patch, right? I'm going to be playing the GOG version.
Yes, but the extra content is decent enough that you may want to go with Temple+. I'm enjoying Solasta in the time I get to play it, but I miss a 5-foot step now and then...

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I'm replaying it now with the new content. I've just been ambushed in my house in Nulb by Rannos and a party of powerful foes. Very good hard fight ! I had never had it before as the path to get it is a bit convoluted.

JDR13

Arcane

Yes, but the extra content is decent enough that you may want to go with Temple+. I'm enjoying Solasta in the time I get to play it, but I miss a 5-foot step now and then...

I know Temple+ adds some new feats, but does it also add any stuff like new items, NPCs, weapons, etc?

Gargaune

Magister
I know Temple+ adds some new feats, but does it also add any stuff like new items, NPCs, weapons, etc?
I think that might be the "new content" version of Circle of Eight, Temple+ is primarily focused on the engine and system. I'm no expert, though, I just ran ToEE with Temple+ and the basic version of Co8.

Q. What is Temple+?
A. Temple+ is an engine enhancement & bugfixes mod for ToEE. It includes many quality of life improvements, bugfixes, and new features, such as:

• New feats, races & classes
  • New combat actions & monster abilities
  • Pathfinding improvements
  • UI improvements
  • "House Rules" customization options

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
No new items/npcs etc but you can enable new classes and such for extra replayability/build variety.

rojay

Scholar
I think that might be the "new content" version of Circle of Eight, Temple+ is primarily focused on the engine and system. I'm no expert, though, I just ran ToEE with Temple+ and the basic version of Co8.

Q. What is Temple+?
A. Temple+ is an engine enhancement & bugfixes mod for ToEE. It includes many quality of life improvements, bugfixes, and new features, such as:

• New feats, races & classes
  • New combat actions & monster abilities
  • Pathfinding improvements
  • UI improvements
  • "House Rules" customization options
That's correct. What I should have said was the Circle of 8 modpack, which you can get either with or without new content. Here's a description, and apologies for the confusion: https://co8.org/community/threads/the-circle-of-eight-modpack-explained.7737/

JDR13

Arcane
So I've got it installed now and I decided to go with CO8 standard and Temple+. I think it's working correctly, but I do notice a couple of odd things.

First, I set the resolution to 1024x768 in the Temple+ config. Despite that, it shows 1280x1024 if I look at the video options in-game. I assume it's using the resolution I set in Temple+, but how can I be sure? Is this a known glitch?

The other thing is that either CO8 or Temple+ automatically turns the 'High Quality Cloth' option off. I can tick the box, but it just unticks itself. Is that option anything significant?

Gargaune

Magister
So I've got it installed now and I decided to go with CO8 standard and Temple+. I think it's working correctly, but I do notice a couple of odd things.

First, I set the resolution to 1024x768 in the Temple+ config. Despite that, it shows 1280x1024 if I look at the video options in-game. I assume it's using the resolution I set in Temple+, but how can I be sure? Is this a known glitch?

The other thing is that either CO8 or Temple+ automatically turns the 'High Quality Cloth' option off. I can tick the box, but it just unticks itself. Is that option anything significant?
Ignore the in-game graphics settings if you're running Temple+, I get the same but it's working properly and never felt like anything was "missing." Just try setting Temple+ to your native resolution and you'll see the difference in scale right away.

JDR13

Arcane
Just try setting Temple+ to your native resolution and you'll see the difference in scale right away.

Yeah, I can see now that the in-game setting shows 1280x1024 regardless of what resolution it's actually at.

Too bad the engine doesn't support aspect correction. At my native resolution of 1920x1200, the view is zoomed-out way too far to be playable. I'll probably stick with 1024x768.

This game really deserves a proper remaster.

Gargaune

Magister
Yeah, I can see now that the in-game setting shows 1280x1024 regardless of what resolution it's actually at.

Too bad the engine doesn't support aspect correction. At my native resolution of 1920x1200, the view is zoomed-out way too far to be playable. I'll probably stick with 1024x768.

Yep, I played on 1024x640 and was tempted to drop a smidge lower, but the UI gets screwed up below that. Honestly, the game's pretty solid with Temple+, but I wouldn't say no to a remaster... or something like an edition which was... enhanced. :smug:

curds

Magister
Honestly, the game's pretty solid with Temple+, but I wouldn't say no to a remaster... or something like an edition which was... enhanced.
Translation: Modders fixed this game, but I would rather some company do the same thing, only they also remove the original from stores and charge $40 for an almost-20 year old game.

Please no.

I know you're prob joking, but this triggered me

JDR13

Arcane
Is it worth having a pure Rogue? I don't remember much about this game or 3.5 Edition rules.

Also, for finding hidden doors/items, is a check performed automatically or do I need to manually use the Search skill every time?

Is it worth having a pure Rogue? I don't remember much about this game or 3.5 Edition rules.

Also, for finding hidden doors/items, is a check performed automatically or do I need to manually use the Search skill every time?

It is not. Stagger rogue levels with your fighter and you'll be just fine. I've even ran 1/9 Rogue/Wizard without having any problems. I typically have 2 fighter/rogues who split typical duties. Furthermore, having two fighter/rogues with pole-arms (+combat reflexes) means murder on the dance floor. The zone control and AoO with sneaks are a true joy.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Just try setting Temple+ to your native resolution and you'll see the difference in scale right away.

You can set any resolution with Temple+, so you can set a lower resolution at your aspect ratio. 1920x1200 is 8:5 ratio, so look at this handy-dandy table of resolutions and find a low 8:5 resolution like 768 x 480 or 1024 x 680, or 1152 x 720 - wherever you feel the tradeoff between the blurriness of having a lower resolution on a high resolution monitor and being able to see everything on the screen comfortably sits for you.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I finished another playthrough of this awesome game about 2 weeks ago, but encountered something weird. I used the Co8 standard version (no extra content) along with Temple+ and completing the Nulb quest that takes you to 'Imeryds Run', to kill some Sea Hags and Lizards, instantly made my Paladin fallen. Was this in the base game?

Max Damage

Savant

Pure Rogue is only worth it for archers and dual wielders, and even then Rogue 5/Fighter 4/Barbarian 1 or Rogue 9/Barbarian 1 is more optimal. Lvl 10 Rogue feat is very underwhelming. Search is used automatically, but if you use it manually you get better results.

JDR13

Arcane

You can set any resolution with Temple+, so you can set a lower resolution at your aspect ratio. 1920x1200 is 8:5 ratio, so look at this handy-dandy table of resolutions and find a low 8:5 resolution like 768 x 480 or 1024 x 680, or 1152 x 720 - wherever you feel the tradeoff between the blurriness of having a lower resolution on a high resolution monitor and being able to see everything on the screen comfortably sits for you.

Thanks. I tried 1024 x 680, and I think it looks slightly better. I still have small black bars on the sides though, and I can't get it to stretch to fullscreen no matter what scaling option I choose in my control panel.

Another thing I noticed about Temple+ is that it always says "Downloading updates" in the lower right corner every time I start the game. I'm assuming that's just a glitch?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom