Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Temple of Elemental Evil

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Another thing I noticed about Temple+ is that it always says "Downloading updates" in the lower right corner every time I start the game. I'm assuming that's just a glitch?

I'm running version 1.0.84 and don't have that issue. It's there for like a millisecond, but instantly reads 'running latest version' afterwards.

Maybe a connection issue?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Just try setting Temple+ to your native resolution and you'll see the difference in scale right away.

Yeah, I can see now that the in-game setting shows 1280x1024 regardless of what resolution it's actually at.

Too bad the engine doesn't support aspect correction. At my native resolution of 1920x1200, the view is zoomed-out way too far to be playable. I'll probably stick with 1024x768.

This game really deserves a proper remaster.

You can set any resolution with Temple+, so you can set a lower resolution at your aspect ratio. 1920x1200 is 8:5 ratio, so look at this handy-dandy table of resolutions and find a low 8:5 resolution like 768 x 480 or 1024 x 680, or 1152 x 720 - wherever you feel the tradeoff between the blurriness of having a lower resolution on a high resolution monitor and being able to see everything on the screen comfortably sits for you.

Thanks. I tried 1024 x 680, and I think it looks slightly better. I still have small black bars on the sides though, and I can't get it to stretch to fullscreen no matter what scaling option I choose in my control panel.

Another thing I noticed about Temple+ is that it always says "Downloading updates" in the lower right corner every time I start the game. I'm assuming that's just a glitch?

I think that's just a glitch. As I understand, it auto-updates when it has to (which is infrequently - it's still worked on but updates are rare).

Gargaune

Magister
I know you're prob joking, but this triggered me
That was my play, but I actually would go for a Beamdog EE. The mods work perfectly, I agree, but I wouldn't mind a zoom function and, aside from the excellent radial menu, ToEE's UI is a bloody mess with lots of room for improvement.

Does Temple+ implement the 'donut' attack range for polearms?
Isn't that part of the standard game, though? I've only played with T+ and standard Co8, but I read some advice that Glaives are the best polearms precisely because they don't respect the donut range, you can attack at 5 or 10 feet just as well.

You can set any resolution with Temple+, so you can set a lower resolution at your aspect ratio. 1920x1200 is 8:5 ratio, so look at this handy-dandy table of resolutions and find a low 8:5 resolution like 768 x 480 or 1024 x 680, or 1152 x 720 - wherever you feel the tradeoff between the blurriness of having a lower resolution on a high resolution monitor and being able to see everything on the screen comfortably sits for you.

Thanks. I tried 1024 x 680, and I think it looks slightly better. I still have small black bars on the sides though, and I can't get it to stretch to fullscreen no matter what scaling option I choose in my control panel.
Guys, 16:10 ratio is 1024x640, not 680, that's why you're getting the black bars. The lowest I can get it is 960x600, below that you start getting UI elements overlapping or running over the screen edge.

Tick Disable Automatic Updates in Temple+.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
You mixed up glaives with Spiked Chains.

BTW about resolution, if you can set it to half of your native resolution you might want to set upscaleLinearFiltering=false in the ini file to get integer scaling.

JDR13

Arcane
Guys, 16:10 ratio is 1024x640, not 680, that's why you're getting the black bars. The lowest I can get it is 960x600, below that you start getting UI elements overlapping or running over the screen edge.

Good catch. I missed that. I'll try 1024x640 when I get home tonight.

JDR13

Arcane
How often are skills like Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Sense Motive used? Also, the game doesn't automatically use the character with the highest skill level, correct? I assume I need to have a character that specializes in speech skills and make sure to use him/her to initiate dialogue.

Also, are Monks decent? They were shit in 2E until higher levels. How are they in 3.5E?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How often are skills like Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Sense Motive used?

Not much since this is primarily a dungeon crawl from back before D&D had speech skills. They're a bonus, but don't build a character around them.

Also, the game doesn't automatically use the character with the highest skill level, correct? I assume I need to have a character that specializes in speech skills and make sure to use him/her to initiate dialogue.

Correct, the character you click to initiate conversation is the one who's talking.

JDR13

Arcane
Does the Ranger's tracking\survival feat have any use at all outside of determining random encounters in the wilderness?

rojay

Scholar
Does the Ranger's tracking\survival feat have any use at all outside of determining random encounters in the wilderness?
Don't think so. If it does, it's pretty limited. They had a lot more planned for the game than they had time to actually implement.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
How often are skills like Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Sense Motive used? Also, the game doesn't automatically use the character with the highest skill level, correct? I assume I need to have a character that specializes in speech skills and make sure to use him/her to initiate dialogue.

Also, are Monks decent? They were shit in 2E until higher levels. How are they in 3.5E?

Not much, i remember they're used 'a lot' for the Castle quest-line and maybe a bit for the evil path, i don't remember which skills are used for the temple quest-line but surely, diplomacy is useful.

Monks are underwhelming but if you're playing with Co8 additional content, there's some very good crit masterwork weapons for monks in verbonosc.

Also, you probably know this but you have to play with a extremely high intimidation character and go the the fire temple quests at least once.

To get the Troll NPC and there's an option in Temple+ to remove villagers negative reactions.
I'm not sure but i think it's intimidation too to get the Hill Giant NPV.

And new classes are interesting, like beguiler or even scout (don't expect to match a reach fighter but it's still fun to play).

Consul

Arbiter
I have a question about playing this game today. I played this in the past but never to its completion, installed it now on Windows 10 and it seems to be working fine. Is the Co8 modpack mandatory or can I do without it? Are there any game breaking issues in vanilla? I could of course install the standard edition of the mod, but as it turns out that version also has added content and doesn't contain only bug fixes. Is playing this game unmodded a good option or will I be swarmed with bugs?

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Temple+

Additional content from Co8 is fine if you're not Lilura. Playing vanilla is risky, this game needs all the help it can get.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
You can play without Co8 allright. Even without its starting dungeon.
Just do yourself a favor and skip town quest, go outside and try to level up in random encounters, either on world map or from sleeping in dangerous places.
New endgame ain't worth it, trust me.

Cael

Arcane
Just do yourself a favor and skip town quest, go outside and try to level up in random encounters, either on world map or from sleeping in dangerous places.
Yes. Random encounter your way to level 3 first before doing anything. It would save you a hell of a lot of heartache later.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Grinding at all is unnecessary. If you beat the frogs, you automatically go up to level 2.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Grinding at all is unnecessary. If you beat the frogs, you automatically go up to level 2.
I remember getting lvl2 on frogs. There were some random fights before I think, but I certainly wasn't grinding on purpose.

The point is, don't get fooled into thinking that Hommlet has anything cool to offer, with all the buildings and npcs. It doesn't and you should get the fuck out of there right away.

Jigby

Augur
Hommlet has holy longsword +1 though. You can teleport around with temple+, just use some guide from sorcerers.net and zigzag the quests. Inhale the atmosphere etc...

Jason Liang

Arcane
Yes. Random encounter your way to level 3 first before doing anything. It would save you a hell of a lot of heartache later.
The easiest way to start Temple of Elemental Evil is

to start with a solo Cleric, head to the skeleton field, and turn all the skeletons there. You'll end up with like a level 5 or 6 cleric, which should carry most battles by herself all the way to the Temple. Afterwards, head to the inn and register your other characters.

wishbonetail

Learned
I remember getting lvl2 on frogs. There were some random fights before I think, but I certainly wasn't grinding on purpose.

The point is, don't get fooled into thinking that Hommlet has anything cool to offer, with all the buildings and npcs. It doesn't and you should get the fuck out of there right away.
Homlet has to offer great graphics. And music. Always loved to just casually stroll there, talking to npcs, finishing some quest, sets the mood alright. Just take your time to appreciate the surroundings, life is not just killing and looting.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Homlet has to offer great graphics. And music. Always loved to just casually stroll there, talking to npcs, finishing some quest, sets the mood alright. Just take your time to appreciate the surroundings, life is not just killing and looting.

Agree the Hommlet music is very special and magical.

I always feel the unfinished nature of the game there though, a lot of the dialogue seems like placeholder and could have done with a lot more work.

Thal

Augur

That's Beregost.

Jason Liang

Arcane

Agree the Hommlet music is very special and magical.

I always feel the unfinished nature of the game there though, a lot of the dialogue seems like placeholder and could have done with a lot more work.
It's simply a very direct implementation of the original adventure module.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom