Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Temple of Elemental Evil

Acrux

Arcane
It's a long shot, but there's a "disable spell requirements for crafting option" in Temple+ configuration. Maybe try toggling it to see if that does anything?(i.e. maybe a bug ?)

notpl

Arbiter
Tried making a new character just to test and the same issue persists. Toggled the spell requirement setting but there was no change. Just cannot craft wondrous items on this install for whatever inscrutable TOEE reason. I guess I can just spawn the items with the console and craft scrolls to deduct up the equivalent amount of xp/gold, but boy that's annoying. And I have no idea how I'd find all the codes for the ones Co8 added, the documentation for that mod is both all over the place and nonexistent.

Last edited:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I can't believe nobody ever made more modules for this. Was it just incredibly difficult to work with? The maps seem trivial to make with modern tools.

There's this fan made module:
https://co8.org/community/threads/shattered-gates-of-slaughtergarde-mod.13148/
https://www.moddb.com/mods/shattered-gates-of-slaughtergarde

Then there was the vaporized IWD TC, which goes to show that yeah, it's not that easy to pull off even with the official World Ed and all map art provided.

Other than that I know of at least one serious attempt in the works, might be next year or so but it's hard to say for sure. Stay tuned I guess...?

Edit: Oh, and KotB of course.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-keep-on-the-borderlands/downloads/keep-on-the-borderlands-101

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
hmmmm loaded up one of my saves for temple+ co8 extra content, for some reason now, everytime I try to enter hommlet it crashes. I've tried like 5 times and coming in from different parts of the world map also to no avail. weird.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
hmmmm loaded up one of my saves for temple+ co8 extra content, for some reason now, everytime I try to enter hommlet it crashes. I've tried like 5 times and coming in from different parts of the world map also to no avail. weird.
Can you post the save & log file?

notpl

Arbiter
Was icewind dale vaporized? The Co8 thread still talks as though it's in development.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
sorry I'm a big time noob and don't know how to do that but I'd be glad to later on today if you tell me how.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
also, I enjoy some of the great battles in the new content but I've stated earlier I solo the game and its so frustrating to fight a long battle at hickory branch for example and then the combat just stalls on one of the last remaining enemies' turns.

I don't know if there's anything that can be done about that, seems like something inherent to the game that can't be fixed, it will just happen randomly even on the vanilla content.

rojay

Scholar
Was icewind dale vaporized? The Co8 thread still talks as though it's in development.
I think the last post by the guy running it was in September of last year. Nothing since November, 2021 that I saw. I'm only privy to the public forums, though.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
sorry I'm a big time noob and don't know how to do that but I'd be glad to later on today if you tell me how.
See instructions here, under Bugs & Common Issues:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/temple1/features/temple-faq

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
See instructions here, under Bugs & Common Issues:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/temple1/features/temple-faq
Will do

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Well given these posts I don't see much hope:

https://co8.org/community/threads/announcement.13326/
https://co8.org/community/threads/iwdtoeetc-progress.12964/

The latter is from 2019, but let's face it, since the demo was released nearly 5 years ago there have been only a few spurts of progress, with nothing so much as a chapter 1 milestone release in sight, let alone the full thing. I suppose the best case scenario is a grimoire-like schedule.

I'd get in on the action but I keep getting distracted by random modders making yet more classes and spells, and bug reports, never ending bug reports... god damn you all:despair:

Darth Canoli

Arcane

The latter is from 2019, but let's face it, since the demo was released nearly 5 years ago there have been only a few spurts of progress, with nothing so much as a chapter 1 milestone release in sight, let alone the full thing. I suppose the best case scenario is a grimoire-like schedule.

I'd get in on the action but I keep getting distracted by random modders making yet more classes and spells, and bug reports, never ending bug reports... god damn you all:despair:

Honestly, it doesn't matter, the original modders wanted to keep it "true" to the original and refused to modify battle encounters.
Trash RTwP combat encounters over and over again doesn't work in TB.
It requires fine tuning, the first cave is a perfect example of this.

It would require to re-do battle encounters. Fewers but more difficult encounters would do the trick, monsters skillfully placed on the maps for an overall similar result in terms of xp rewards...

It's not something your average modder can do.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

There's no way to modify a character's alignment, correct? Unless I'm missing something with the DM tool. I'm Chaotic Good and wanted to take on Luz in the Lady's quest. Balor's were fun but a summoned glabrezu and summoned mephits I think stopped attacking me at one point during the battle and went non hostile. Maybe because I killed the balor that summoned them? idk but another group of summoned monsters didn't stop attacking me when all the balors were dead.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The AI is better in Knights of the Chalice, which is pretty impressive given how much more complex it must be to program for that many more options. I have no idea if that's true, but seems logical.

I still like ToEE better, at least with the Temple+ Co8 mods installed.

On another note, does anyone else remember pre-patch when NPCs would loot random objects in addition to taking a share of gold, but wouldn't let you manage their inventory or sell items for them? Fuck you Elmo, just drop the seventeen sets of chainmail so you can walk again.

Yes, the AI is way better to the point he had to dumb it down a little so your opponents don't always use the best move, it also adds some variety, if you play the same fight a couple of times, like it happened for all the early players whom didn't know the game and had only the archmage difficulty.

ToEE with Temple+ is more re-playable than KotC 1 due to the extra races and even monstrous ones if you want to try something fun.
Also, KotC 1 lacks optional quests and non combat ones.

Yes, that feature was fun at first until it wasn't, patches were a godsend.

As for ToEE and KotC weaknesses, KotC 2 + Hearkenwold gets the best of both worlds, KotC 2 system + Hearkenwold world which is more of a classic adventure with many optional quests and cities to explore.

And please for the love of god, don't try to recommend Knights of the Chalice or any other flash looking games. It's 2022., surely we can have a game that looks as good as ToEE. Fuck it, I'll settle for IE looks even tho I wanna strangle anyone who mentions it. Just.. anything that isn't reeking of combat and looking like a Oldfag Delight.

Now I just want to strangle YOU...

Do you think Knights of the Chalice and its sequel have the best dnd style combat of any games that has come out the past 10+ years? Have you played solasta or pathfinder games to compare?

Just curious on your opinion.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You didn't ask me but yes, easily. The best combat since ToEE. Pathfinder is an absolute joke compared to it. Have not played Solasta.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
You didn't ask me but yes, easily. The best combat since ToEE. Pathfinder is an absolute joke compared to it. Have not played Solasta.
Haha thanks for the response either way! I've read so many good things about pathfinder and the complexity of combat, etc. I'm surprised you're saying it sucks compared to kotc.

What do you think of kotc vs pillars or divinity games just in terms of combat? If you've played them, that is.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Same here, Kingmaker combat in TB is decent but there is no encounter design, hence, it's all for nothing, the end result is dogshit as Jasede said.
Few fights excepted with some encounter design like the Stag Lord.

I barely played Solasta, only an early demo and 10 minutes with the early release.
Between what I know of the cut-scenes and their terrible engine, there's no comparison.

But it's not for everyone, between the exceptional AI, the encounter design and the difficulty, you have to love good TB combat to love KotC 2.
The alternative is to play Hearkenwold which offers all of this but with open world exploration and easier encounters (but not easy).

What do you think of kotc vs pillars or divinity games just in terms of combat? If you've played them, that is.

Pillows combat is terrible.
Some people detailed their answer more than I will ever can because I played it a long time ago and I'm never doing it again, I know because I tried and stopped at the first village.

DOS 1 combat is decent, good even for the first half of the game but it's barrel land, oh, acid/explosive barrels AGAIN!
Between this and cool-downs, you can't say the system is very good.
There is some interesting encounter design though.
It doesn't hold the comparison with KotC 1 & 2 ...

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Same here, Kingmaker combat in TB is decent but there is no encounter design, hence, it's all for nothing, the end result is dogshit as Jasede said.

I barely played Solasta, only an early demo and 10 minutes with the early release.
Between what I know of the cut-scenes and their terrible engine, there's no comparison.

But it's not for everyone, between the exceptional AI, the encounter design and the difficulty, you have to love good TB combat to love KotC 2.
The alternative is to play Hearkenwold which offers all of this but with open world exploration and easier encounters (but not easy).
Thanks for the response. Well, I love dark suns games and toee so I'm pretty sure I will enjoy the kotc games. I also enjoy difficult games and it doesn't bother me if I have to do some reading outside of the game either.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Pillows combat is terrible.
Some people detailed their answer more than I will ever can because I played it a long time ago and I'm never doing it again, I know because I tried and stopped at the first village.

DOS 1 combat is decent, good even for the first half of the game but it's barrel land, oh, acid/explosive barrels AGAIN!
Between this and cool-downs, you can't say the system is very good.
There is some interesting encounter design though.
It doesn't hold the comparison with KotC 1 & 2 though...

Good to know. Would you say KotC games hold their own against all the "tactical" rpg releases of the past 10-12 years?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
They do.

UFO (the original), Dungeon Rats, ToEE, BlackGuards, Colony Ship, KotC, Kotc 2, Warbanners are some of the best tactical RPG ever made.

I would add AoD but I hold a grudge against its 1 character formula and of course there's more but I'm not going to name them all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom