Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Temple+ on Linux

tlk

Novice
appreciate the trolling, but native ports usually require about 5 mins of my time ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯ (or around 20 if I need to quickly setup a buildroot and compile)

this beauty needs Java, Net, and Python to run a 20 yo game lol
if the good community folks were so inclined as not to use all the bloatware imaginable this would've been done and dusted

PS and it still won't run

tlk

Novice
Haha. It does start, and in way under than couple a days)

Actually, once you know better than *not* to run the latest (and greatest ofc) version of wine, the whole chain is only slightly longer than it would've been on windoze natively.
It's just my wine-fu was terribly rusty, playing almost exclusively natively last couple a years =P

Guess the winnoobs (98% or so of applicants))) would suffer with it even on windoooz anyway)

csmth

Barely Literate
I report an abnormal case which is not normally supported. This ToEE and Temple+ 1.0.82 is running at Windows 10 emulated at QEMU (To be precise: Snap Clouds ). My Host is Ubuntu 20.04. The Temple+ can be run normally last month, and it can be also run at Windows 10 emulated by VMware Player. It only failed silently at QEMU emulator. Detail description:

1. Temple+ 1.0.82. CO8.1. ToEE from GOG
2. No application log. Temple+ cannot start properly. Windows 10 Event View shows "Event Data" on why the Temple+ configuration application (.NET runtime) fails:

Application: TemplePlusConfig.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: IniParser.Exceptions.ParsingException
at IniParser.Parser.IniDataParser.ProcessLine(System.String, IniParser.Model.IniData)
at IniParser.Parser.IniDataParser.Parse(System.String)

Exception Info: IniParser.Exceptions.ParsingException
at IniParser.Parser.IniDataParser.Parse(System.String)
at IniParser.StreamIniDataParser.ReadData(System.IO.StreamReader)
at IniParser.FileIniDataParser.ReadFile(System.String, System.Text.Encoding)
at TemplePlusConfig.MainWindow..ctor()

Exception Info: System.Windows.Markup.XamlParseException
at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.Load(System.Xaml.XamlReader, System.Xaml.IXamlObjectWriterFactory, Boolean, System.Object, System.Xaml.XamlObjectWriterSettings, System.Uri)
at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.LoadBaml(System.Xaml.XamlReader, Boolean, System.Object, System.Xaml.Permissions.XamlAccessLevel, System.Uri)
at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.LoadBaml(System.IO.Stream, System.Windows.Markup.ParserContext, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Windows.Application.LoadBamlStreamWithSyncInfo(System.IO.Stream, System.Windows.Markup.ParserContext)
at System.Windows.Application.LoadComponent(System.Uri, Boolean)
at System.Windows.Application.DoStartup()
at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1_0(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
at System.Windows.Application.Run(System.Windows.Window)
at TemplePlusConfig.App.Main()
at TemplePlusConfig.Program.Main(System.String[])
It will be more helpful if the error message has line number.

3. Reproduction: The configuration tools always fail with .NET runtime error. The game (Temple+) never able to start and just hangs.
4. Dump: No Dump file. Just cannot start.
5. Save Game: This problem is not triggered by any save game.

I do not see there is any difference at my QEMU or Ubuntu software between the time it cannot be started. The emulated Windows 10 did not have Windows Update in between. I cannot notice what software change has caused the Temple+ to fail but I can play it at the end of last month. I tried 1.0.84 and that does not work either at QEMU.

tlk

Novice
Why not just use Wine?

Also, the Config tool does nothing but manipulates the values in the .ini
Now if the latter was properly (or at least somewhat...) documented, the config wouldn't be needed at all.

Codex Year of the Donut
just downloaded toee + installed temple+ in a few minutes, works fine on linux
config tool also worked without issue

using wine-staging 6.2, typical winetricks verbs I use for any new prefix is
Code:
winetricks -q d3dcompiler_4{2,3,7} d3dx9 dxvk

tlk

Novice

Code:
dxvk was enough here

there are are issues though.

Codex Year of the Donut

Code:
dxvk was enough here

there are are issues though.
the builtin d3dcompiler dlls are really incomplete and generate lots of bad and invalid shaders, if you're seeing graphical issues that may be the cause

Mathalor

Educated
I've installed everything successfully except temple+. I'm using the default wine from Ubuntu. The installer won't run, says I need to run as administrator. I don't know a lot about wine but I've read to never use sudo with wine. I used the github release instead of the installer and it runs. I don't have access to more than the one portrait pack I installed with co8, can't check for updates, the config file lacks any mouseover text, and the game doesn't respond to most commands on paper screens, the ones you get from accessing a map for the first time. alt tab, somehow, got me past them.

But the game runs, and that's a big improvement.

I'm sure I'd have better results if my wine knowledge was better. I set up Lutris and usually use that if I want to use wine.

I had a game on win 10 on an old notebook, but that's currently broken. I think I promised to send a save file (if Sitra sees this, I'm sorry I should've gotten to it sooner; I can't now) So I figured I'd try the game out on my linux comp.

tlk

Novice
I've installed everything successfully except temple+. I'm using the default wine from Ubuntu. The installer won't run, says I need to run as administrator. I don't know a lot about wine but I've read to never use sudo with wine. I used the github release instead of the installer and it runs. I don't have access to more than the one portrait pack I installed with co8, can't check for updates, the config file lacks any mouseover text, and the game doesn't respond to most commands on paper screens, the ones you get from accessing a map for the first time. alt tab, somehow, got me past them.

I'm sure I'd have better results if my wine knowledge was better. I set up Lutris and usually use that if I want to use wine.

I had a game on win 10 on an old notebook, but that's currently broken. I think I promised to send a save file (if Sitra sees this, I'm sorry I should've gotten to it sooner; I can't now) So I figured I'd try the game out on my linux comp.

1) Grab wine from https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu (stable will do)
2) execute WINEARCH=win32 wineboot (answer yes to Qs if any pop up)
3) Might want to set it to Win7 in winecfg just in case. Won't hurt.
4) install say the GOG distribution to C:\toee
5) install Java in wine.. I got one from the Oracle's website i think. jre 1.8.0. Did a silent install (with the /s switch IIRC) so it won't ask me a heap of stupid Qs
6) install Co8 pointing it to C:\toee, then activate it in the TFE-X (Co8's launcher)
7) install DXVK (get it from github)
8) get T+ .zip - for the latest fixes use https://ci.appveyor.com/project/templeplus/templeplus/build/artifacts and unpack it anywhere you like.
9) I had to copy arial.ttf to the T+ font directory
10) You're set. 10 easy steps. *I think* mouseover hints in the launcher worked for me with some versions of .Net but don't with the default winemono. Would be an overkill to install it. The launcher is just the front to the .ini anyway, does almost nothing besides that.

Mathalor

Educated
New setup, trying to install. Got the game installed using lutris, installed TFE using lutris wine, activated 8.1.0, shiningted's domain spells mod and a portrait pack. Installed temple plus using lutris wine. Popup says it's installed, I launch. Activated several options and launched the game from the setup window. Crashes after picking an alignment for new game.

Not sure whether lutris uses default wine or it's own. Installed dxvk to ~/.wine/ and to ~/Games/temple-of-elemental-evil-the/

Game proceeds fine from new game when launched from TFE. It's a Temple Plus thing. Crashes with and without disabled alignment requirements.

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program:... \AppData\Local\TemplePlus\app-1.0.85\TemplePlus.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Mathalor

Educated
I forgot that font. Now it works. Argh

Can't progress through the screens of explanation for the shop, have to wait em out.

Last edited:

mhm32167

Educated

1) Grab wine from https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu (stable will do)
2) execute WINEARCH=win32 wineboot (answer yes to Qs if any pop up)
3) Might want to set it to Win7 in winecfg just in case. Won't hurt.
4) install say the GOG distribution to C:\toee
5) install Java in wine.. I got one from the Oracle's website i think. jre 1.8.0. Did a silent install (with the /s switch IIRC) so it won't ask me a heap of stupid Qs
6) install Co8 pointing it to C:\toee, then activate it in the TFE-X (Co8's launcher)
7) install DXVK (get it from github)
8) get T+ .zip - for the latest fixes use https://ci.appveyor.com/project/templeplus/templeplus/build/artifacts and unpack it anywhere you like.
9) I had to copy arial.ttf to the T+ font directory
10) You're set. 10 easy steps. *I think* mouseover hints in the launcher worked for me with some versions of .Net but don't with the default winemono. Would be an overkill to install it. The launcher is just the front to the .ini anyway, does almost nothing besides that.
Thank you, this was really helpful! I finally got it to work following these steps, but I had to also install dotnet46 using winetricks for Temple+ to work. Also the latest .zip didn't work, but installing the latest stable exe was fine.

dechlog

Novice
ss1.jpg

Anyone know how to fix this?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom