Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Temple+ Support archive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Also, does the log say it's missing a line in damage.mes or something like that?

Yes, the in-game log (the roll window pop up help) where it breaks down the damage.

Specifically... "Error! Missing line 133 in mes/damage.mes" after it shows your roll for 2d6+9

Last edited:

Heinous Hat

Scholar
I was wondering whether the order of properties in the proto was of any consequence, since I've seen a number of them for the same creature type that have it differently (e.g. the Moathouse zombies that were lacking DR).

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I think the bug happens when you have a property with two arguments. The proto property parser function handles both the property and its parameters, and I suspect that having two parameters confuses its state tracking.

Currently working on "target closest" and "target threatened" replacements (strategy.tab commands) so they ignore spiritual weapons, warded critters and fodder summons (latter two require 3 or greater int). I've also added some script calls to a new combat.py file so it's more moddable, and will also have to change Livonya 's scripting to accommodate this and to prevent some retarded scenarios.

Ok, should be working now. Most low level enemies will still consider Summon Monster I critters as credible threats, but stronger ones won't. You can still use stuff like wolves etc. to distract some Moathouse occupants and such.
Also, all AI should ignore Spiritual Weapons now.

Targeting.png

Spiritual Weapons now a reasonable non-exploit choice, Summons get prioritized based on relative level

Last edited:

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Checking out pre+259 now. Will look at behavior regarding summons and such, but something else has come up...

I'm at Imeryds Run (Lizard Men, Sea Hag, Giant Frog and Behemoth King Frog). I've never used the druid spell Hide From Animals before, so I thought I'd try it. It doesn't seem to work though... both frogs attack "invisible" party members who haven't broken the spell by taking hostile actions. Spell resistance shouldn't come into play here, but maybe I'm missing something.

Finally fixed for real in b484 (but don't download it because I've added other bugs :P)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Damn, you caught me - I didn't add the Invisibility scale factor :P (vanilla calculates distance to invisible creatures with a 2.5x factor for targeting purposes, which I left out)

Well done :bravo:

On the other hand, I suspect Hide From Animals is bugged in the sense that it will confer that benefit to all types of monsters, not just animals...
Also I think the other benefit is that it makes you invisible to animals, i.e. you should be getting a concealment miss chance - does that work at least?
edit: I guess it should be made to behave like Sanctuary. Originally (in 3.0) it was called Invisibility To Animals, which is why it functions the way it does I guess...

In other news, as of pre+260 the AI can charge attack properly - fixed the bug where it applied nonlethal damage for unarmed AI using charge attack. It also failed to use its natural attack data, which it now does.

ChargeAttackAi2.png

Last edited:

Heinous Hat

Scholar
On the other hand, I suspected Hide From Animals is bugged in the sense that it will confer that benefit to all types of monsters, not just animals...
Also I think the other benefit is that it makes you invisible to animals, i.e. you should be getting a concealment miss chance - does that work at least?
edit: I guess it should be made to behave like Sanctuary. Originally (in 3.0) it was called Invisibility To Animals, which is why it funcitons that way it does I guess...

Yeah, I have no idea whether or how it functions in vanilla toee, I'll have to look. The d20 description (same as the in-game help) reads...

Animals cannot see, hear, or smell the warded creatures. Even extraordinary or supernatural sensory capabilities, such as blindsense, blindsight, scent, and tremorsense, cannot detect or locate warded creatures. Animals simply act as though the warded creatures are not there. If a warded character touches an animal or attacks any creature, even with a spell, the spell ends for all recipients.

It definitely isn't providing a concealment benefit as it is now though, even if the effect is being approximated with "invisibility". I wonder if Hide From Undead isn't working either.

In other news, as of pre+260 AI can now charge attack properly - fixed the bug where it applied nonlethal damage for unarmed AI using charge attack. It also failed to use its natural attack data, which it now does.

That's a great fix. I'd like to see more frequent (or random) AI charges since it makes certain reach weapons and combat actions more interesting (+damage on ready vs approach). Does that bonus actually work? It's difficult to test...

Sitra Achara

Arcane
I doubt it - haven't seen any 'impale charge attacker'-type weapon bonus (though it could be explicitly hardcoded somewhere I guess).

One of my next goals is to add role descriptors to strategy.tab so it can intelligently choose from relevant actions (such as charge). I guess kind of like what's in Livonya 's file, including weapon switching.

I guess you could say that's what san_start_combat is for, but the issue with that is that it cancels the simultaneous turn mechanic, and is generally a pain in the ass to implement for every new monster (particularly casters).

Heinous Hat

Scholar
I guess you could say that's what san_start_combat is for, but the issue with that is that it cancels the simultaneous turn mechanic, and is generally a pain in the ass to implement for every new monster (particularly casters).

I've never played with concurrent turns switched on, due to that being flagged as a source of buggy combat behavior over at Co8. Is that related directly to Liv's (or other) modifications, or was it just a broken feature from the start?

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Yep, that was it... missed PC turns and AoOs.
Hopefully fixed by now (there was an animation ID 0 issue which I've added some handling for)

BTW, you asked to keep an eye on the turn time display... I have seen at least one instance of the color not draining accurately during a move action. It's the opposite of what's in the bug list you linked (#378). I can't reproduce it at the moment, but it's extremely rare so far.
Might be related to the above actually, hopefully gone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Yeah well, remember what we said about helpful bugs? :p

I think the concurrent turns bug could potentially help in eliminating the related and similar bug for ready vs. approach btw, sinve I can't reproduce the latter!

Heinous Hat

Scholar
You added some faction checks recently, yes?

I'm seeing instances of AI attacking their own where it shouldn't be a factor. The Trader's ambush at the player house in Nulb is a good example... I'll put a save together from there if you need it.

It's also occurred in some random encounters... e.g. party encounters an Ettin and a bear... bear attacks the Ettin before turning on the party. That's actually pretty cool, even if not WAD ;)

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Hmm, I just added a .factions python object property to get a list of all factions. Maybe it's the new targeting. Will look into it.

The bear & ettin in particular could be WAI - the npc vs npc fighting every once in a while is indeed considered cool and was left on purpose in some cases from what I recall.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
You added some faction checks recently, yes?

I'm seeing instances of AI attacking their own where it shouldn't be a factor. The Trader's ambush at the player house in Nulb is a good example... I'll put a save together from there if you need it.

It's also occurred in some random encounters... e.g. party encounters an Ettin and a bear... bear attacks the Ettin before turning on the party. That's actually pretty cool, even if not WAD ;)

Re. the trader's ambush
Are you sure they're attacking each other, or are they attacking the Treasure Map2 object? (which seems to be lacking its OF_OFF flag, because it shouldn't even appear - looks like a protos.tab issue). That's what I've seen anyway, and I've posted a fix for that just now (and also added a check for OF_DONTDRAW in the AI's ShouldIgnore script).

Last edited:

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Re. the trader's ambush
Are you sure they're attacking each other, or are they attacking the Treasure Map2 object? (which seems to be lacking its OF_OFF flag, because it shouldn't even appear - looks like a protos.tab issue). That's what I've seen anyway, and I've posted a fix for that just now (and also added a check for OF_DONTDRAW in the AI's ShouldIgnore script).

Still looking at that encounter.

One of the AI casters has confusion on it's spell list, which is AoE and may explain the friendly fire. It's also a tight map where the party is hemmed in with limited pathing options.

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Ok, scratch that interpretation :roll:.

I have 2 of the thugs attacking the Zuggtmoy priest early in the combat (1st round)... they go straight for him. The attack produces the red "friendly fire" floating text and he takes damage. The only spells cast at that point (aside from the AI pre-buffs during conversation) were ice storm and curse (by me) and slow (by AI enchantress)... so no confusion effect.

edit: In subsequent rounds, they go back to supporting each other. The thugs shift focus to the party and the priest heals them.

Last edited:

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Save is posted (templeplus_pre264_trader_ambush.7z). Party is outside the Nulb house.

I'll post a log when I get a good one. The encounter goes a bit differently depending on initiative roll and subsequent actions, but the behavior I described is reproducible (might have to reload).

When the Zuggtmoy priest starts out in the corner (near the fireplace) he will sometimes attack an invisible target (if he's been hit by AI attacks). If the enchantress starts in the corner, she will often just stand there (possibly concentration). Priest in the corner seems to be a better condition to demonstrate the problem.

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Log posted.

I exited the game after seeing a friendly AI attack. This time, the enchantress was the AI target despite what I said above. So disregard that bit ;)

The log does make reference to Treasure Map 2 as a target. Is that an object located near the fireplace? Can't recall...

edit: They're definitely swinging for Treasure Map 2 (which I now see in the roll window) but sometimes hit the friendly caster. Found a few threads at co8 regarding problems with the object (which I now understand is a spawner). Perhaps your targeting additions are interacting with it.

Last edited:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Log posted.

I exited the game after seeing a friendly AI attack. This time, the enchantress was the AI target despite what I said above. So disregard that bit ;)

The log does make reference to Treasure Map 2 as a target. Is that an object located near the fireplace? Can't recall...

edit: They're definitely swinging for Treasure Map 2 (which I now see in the roll window) but sometimes hit the friendly caster. Found a few threads at co8 regarding problems with the object (which I now understand is a spawner). Perhaps your targeting additions are interacting with it.

Ok, the log indicates a damage event on Treasure Map2, which I think corrupts the targeting state for the subsequent rounds since the target is OF_DONTDRAW. This should be fixed in the latest release (265 + co8 r25) - added a check for DONTDRAW and also switched the spawner OF_OFF in its script (this won't interefere with that encounter's scripting).

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Ok, the log indicates a damage event on Treasure Map2, which I think corrupts the targeting state for the subsequent rounds since the target is OF_DONTDRAW. This should be fixed in the latest release (265 + co8 r25) - added a check for DONTDRAW and also switched the spawner OF_OFF in its script (this won't interefere with that encounter's scripting).

Fixed :)

Next up...

General CTD when crafting wands. I tried a bunch, looks like any will do it. Save and log upped.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Oh, I did mess with that one, heh. Probably forgot to upload crafting.py or something (I've prepared some infrastructure for giving crafted items appropriate cost for crafted level + alter their name so e.g. different level potions don't stack). Will take care of it after work.

Heinous Hat

Scholar
I've prepared some infrastructure for giving crafted items appropriate cost for crafted level + alter their name so e.g. different level potions don't stack

That sounds nifty. Scroll and potion mystery roulette is terrible. And I never was clear on exactly what happens when you stack items of different caster levels.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
They get merged, probably into the one with lowest inventory index or sthg, and then its properties override the others (since merging just means incrementing the quantity variable).

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Pre+268 should fix the crash. Also changed Craft Wand so it's more like Lay On Hands - has a Set Level and Craft suboptions. It's a bit glitchy at the moment but more or less works!
Note that the the level refers to the spell slot level which is equivalent to 1 + 2 * caster level.

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Pre+268 should fix the crash. Also changed Craft Wand so it's more like Lay On Hands - has a Set Level and Craft suboptions. It's a bit glitchy at the moment but more or less works!
Note that the the level refers to the spell slot level which is equivalent to 1 + 2 * caster level.

Sounds interesting, will check it out.

Getting a crash when casting Dispel Magic on Lareth in Rufus and Burne's tower (pre+265). Dispel Magic seems to be working otherwise, as I just used it in the Trader's ambush fight. Save and log are posted (templeplus_pre265_dispel_lareth_CTD.7z).

edit: If you use the save, the druid (Niia, in yellow) has a scroll of Dispel Magic. The conversation with Lareth hasn't happened yet, the party is in the tower dungeon (all are invisible).

Status
Not open for further replies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom