Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Ten Computer RPGs You’ve Never Heard Of

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Infinitron, May 25, 2015.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Nice post from the Rampant Coyote:

• Brofist Brofist x 20
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Faded_Memories Female Quota Staff Patron

Faded_Memories
    Codex 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Thanks for copying this. I know Devil Whiskey and Swords and Sorcery but the rest is new to me. Inaria and The Three Musketeers look particularly interesting, I will check them out (meaning I will put them on my endless backlog of games I'll never manage to play before I die :negative:)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. I had not heard of these.

^ Top  
  4. Tical Arcane

Tical
    I played Devil Whiskey once and it was pretty shit, very grindy from what I recall. The rest on the list don't seem to be of any interest.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I don't know bro, Parhedros seems like it could appeal to a certain crowd here: http://www.parhedros.com/ourgames.html

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    I remember the Omega Syndrome, it was a game people discussed here on the Codex back in 2007. The developer seemed to have a "crazy modder" mentality as in not listening to feedback and just doing the thing he thinks is the proper way to play, and then just removing his game from sale when he got fed up with people NOT UNDERSTANDING.

At least that's how I remember it. My memory is hazy because it's so long ago.
    The game was supposed to have a structure like classic late 90s RPGs, such as Baldur's Gate and Fallout. And it was ironman. And people got annoyed by a game where you have a plot structure and semi-linear progression... and permadeath. It meant failing once forced you to restart and do all the shit you did before yet again. Imagine starting out at Candlekeep again because Sarevok just killed you in the final fight. HAHAHA RAGEQUIT FOREVER

Of course, the dev claimed the people crying over permadeath being a horribly shit decision were just not hardcore enough for his game.

• Brofist Brofist x 14
    ^ Top  
  7. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Sounds dramalicious. Links to old threads, anybody?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Gazing at his slowly refilling game shelves ;-)
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Putting Devil Whiskey on that list is a bit dubious or at the least the most "known" of those "unknown" titles. I knew of half of those (Devil, Omega, Underworld, Anaria and Vampyr) but not the others so it might be fun to dig them up. However, I imagine some are obscure for a very simple reason... they weren't very good to begin with.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. V_K Arcane

V_K
    I've heard of 7 of them and played (or at least tried to play) 5. What's wrong with me?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Yeah, a list of good obscure RPGs would be better. (Personally I think there are quite a few, depending on what you enjoy in an RPG.)

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  11. Nomad_Blizz Augur

Nomad_Blizz
    Haven't heard of any of these games. Which ones are worth playing?
    Use the search function.

Show Spoiler
    :troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. HiddenX The Elder Spy Patron

HiddenX
    Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Same here.

^ Top  
  13. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    Parhedros looks lulzy, sadly it also looks really fucking overpriced.
    The omega syndrome looks good too, not gonna play a demo tho, ill see if i can find the full game.
    Guess ill try inaria, unless any of you can recommend any of these games.

^ Top  
  14. Faded_Memories Female Quota Staff Patron

Faded_Memories
    Codex 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Ok I tried the inaria demo and it seems fun enough to drop 5 euros on it so I bought it. The game could use a map tho :oops:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I've played and completed Swords and Sorcery: Underworld and the author's own Frayed Knights; and found them to be above average games, which is pretty good for indie efforts. I've heard of, but never played Dungeons of Death, Vampyr, Inaria, and Omega Syndrome but no very little about them. Out of the rest, I never heard of them at all before but the Devil Whiskey seems the most interesting to me. I'm also very curious whether or not the hive mind would give any of these a recommend.

I do plan to at least try Parhedros... for research, of course.

^ Top  
  16. Zetor Arcane

Zetor
    There's an LP (abandoned, of course) of Devil Whiskey here, with quite a bit of info... it seems like a decent BT clone (with good production values for an indie... also, 8-character parties!), but janky as hell.

edit: lol

quote from the LP (open)

Also, we me this guy:
    [​IMG]

So hbe ranks below Brazilian Spider Clown on the "I am terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought" scale. But fuck, who says "what my game needs is really creepy looking furries"? I mean, he has the beedy eyes of a man who has, at best, killed and eaten children. Except these eyes are set in the face of a bunny. A man-bunny with a well sculpted physique. I just. . . fuck. We're fortunate that I don't find all life to be inherently precious. I'm not clear on what my next move is, in-game (story wise, I mean). But I think my personal goal is to eradicate this species.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Alright, I googled it, and I guess I remember it a bit wrongly and the "OMG YOU ARE NON-HARDCORE FAGGOTS FOR COMPLAINING ABOUT FORCED IRONMAN" guys were only some Codexers.

Anyway, this is what I found:
    http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/omega-syndrome.22090/
    Apparently, the dev just lost interest and took the game down because he couldn't be bothered updating it anymore. He's hard to track down and contact, but some RPG Watch thread apparently explains how you could still buy it. I haven't checked it out and have no idea if it still works today. If the game has truly been entirely abandoned by the creator - I think it would be a good idea if a Codexer in possession of the full version could "leak" it to the Codex or something.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...game-the-omega-syndrome-now-part-three.64239/
    Awor Szurkrarz apparently made an LP of the game in hard mode, which implies there is also a non iron-man mode that the dev implemented after recieving a lot of criticism because of ironman.

So, apparently, the creator just lost interest and took the game down. Now it is almost impossible to find. It should be the Codex's mission to preserve this thing for the future by tracking down a full version copy.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  18. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    Heard of them before too, and you should have too ! Number 7 come on .. you dont remember of it, we gave the dev so much abuse and you dont even remember it, the new version with improved art was released , this blog is not up to date . Charles-cgr would roll over in his grave if he could hear you .It was rumored he was working on sovereign a sequel with a bigger open world before his house was seized over some debts , and dying of cold in the gutter.

As for the other games of the list, not so obscure and not so worth playing. Devil whiskey if you like bard's tale , its pretty much the same 2 steps one encounter, door treasure. It gets extremely fast very easy with no challenge although.I don't think anyone here would enjoy them, even old fags like me .

^ Top  
  19. Modron Arcane

Modron
    Don't get your hopes up when looking for omega syndrome the game was too obscure, even in it's heyday, to ever really get cracked. Even a few years ago there were still places that sold some outdated versions but who knows if those are even still around, I grabbed the 3.42 patch but never actually got around to buying it.

Some years back, the developer said he was reworking it to re-release it but he hasn't really said nary a peep since and he could have been poised to jump onto kickstarter at its' height but did not, so those stars will probably never align.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Charles-cgr OlderBytes Developer

Charles-cgr
    Project: Eternity
    Mortmal Hey, I'm still alive. I survived your abuse. I can take anything.

• Brofist Brofist x 16
    ^ Top  
  21. ColCol Arcane

ColCol
    Doesn't the developer of the Omega Syndrome still post here? Davaris, or some shit.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    ^ Top  
  23. ColCol Arcane

ColCol

Where is the underworld sequel?

^ Top  
  24. Charles-cgr OlderBytes Developer

Charles-cgr
    Project: Eternity
    Well... Nowhere yet :(

^ Top  
  25. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    That's a weak codex lore stat you have there Infinitron. Even I knew that.

Shame about his game. It looks pretty cool. I think Awor played it extensively.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.